Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearts of Iron IV - The Ultimate WWII Strategy Game

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thinking of loading this up again and giving it another go. I can play as nuclear Australia right, just research nukes and drop them on random capital cities while remaining cozy on my impenetrable southern island?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thinking of loading this up again and giving it another go. I can play as nuclear Australia right, just research nukes and drop them on random capital cities while remaining cozy on my impenetrable southern island?
In honor of the Aussie who developed the latest expansion? I can't let go of the irony there :)

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
In honor of the Aussie who developed the latest expansion? I can't let go of the irony there
The irony that someone from Adelaide was responsible for a Turkish themed expansion as well lol.
Anzacs would be proud... oh wait a second.

It wouldn't be paradox if you couldn't reform the ottoman empire in one of their games.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In honor of the Aussie who developed the latest expansion? I can't let go of the irony there
The irony that someone from Adelaide was responsible for a Turkish themed expansion as well lol.

It wouldn't be paradox if you couldn't reform the ottoman empire in one of their games.

Ottoman Empire was gone what, 18 years at game start? Certainly makes more sense than Byzantine, especially if they change the name...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Ottoman Empire was gone what, 18 years at game start? Certainly makes more sense than Byzantine, especially if they change the name...
LoL greeks still want to restore byzantine empire,it is not inaccurate at all.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Not only a guy from Adelaide is doing a Turkey-themed expansion. Check who was in charge of the Ottoman forces at Gallipoli.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Stuff like this consistently makes me think of this series of kebab joints in Melbourne that have these big Gallipoli memorial things on the wall. Fucking fantastic falafels and turşu too. :P

ISF5sqz.png

Bonus Round:

The clearest picture I could find of the actual text is a selfie from one of the employees. It's cute in an endearing way, lmao.

zODe5jr.png

But yeah, afaict the only Turks interested in stoking bullshit flames are the kids of migrants in Europe who don't know anything about the actual state of the place under Erdogan.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Turks are the only Balkanites without an inferiority complex about their past.
You mean the only ones that have one lol,also not glorious Balkankebabs for sure!

But yeah, afaict the only Turks interested in stoking bullshit flames are the kids of migrants in Europe who don't know anything about the actual state of the place under Erdogan.
Ahhh well it makes sense,all migrants are scum that cut away from their tribe and end up as salves to foreign culture. They are pretty much glitch,their children for most part are normal and recognize their parents as cunts and subconsciously know that they are in the wrong place and this is not their tribe. The desire to belong is very strong thing.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Ahhh well it makes sense,all migrants are scum that cut away from their tribe and end up as salves to foreign culture. They are pretty much glitch,their children for most part are normal and recognize their parents as cunts and subconsciously know that they are in the wrong place and this is not their tribe. The desire to belong is very strong thing.

RIP, fanta thinks I'm scum. ;( ;( ;(

Oki, I'll stop derailing thethread.

Very, very, very (veeeeeeeeery) vaguely relevant, I still think this game should have a culture/religion (ethnic?) system of some sort, though it's probably absent because it's too touchy a subject in some areas, and PDX already have enough trouble avoiding 'embarrassment' from HoI's fanbase.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
RIP, fanta thinks I'm scum.
:lol:
I think that all migrants are scum,not that you are one,there is a difference. Also i don't know you thus i can't say if you are or not :).

That said you should live in your own country and adapt to your own culture instead of larping foreign one while mixing it with crumbs from your old one.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
That said you should live in your own country and adapt to your own culture instead of larping foreign one while mixing it with crumbs from your old one.

I don't think post-colonial countries really work the same, honestly. It's a much different experience moving from one old world country to another, than to one in the new world. (But message me if you want to determine if I'm scum or not, haha.)

This, incidentally, relates to my issues with the lack of culture/religion/ethnicity/etc. in HoI4. They don't represent the key differences between the likes of Netherlands and Australia, or hell, even Greece and Japan. Whether you play a melting pot or a country that recently emerged from a nationalist movement, there's nothing making those huge distinctions real beyond whatever flavour is built into a focus tree or whatever.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I had a post that wouldn't derail the thread and I wanted to try to narrate in how many places the game is absolutely broken, and that's 4 years after release, but I need to play more before I can make a good summary of it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I don't think post-colonial countries really work the same, honestly. It's a much different experience moving from one old world country to another, than to one in the new world. (But message me if you want to determine if I'm scum or not, haha.)

This, incidentally, relates to my issues with the lack of culture/religion/ethnicity/etc. in HoI4. They don't represent the key differences between the likes of Netherlands and Australia, or hell, even Greece and Japan. Whether you play a melting pot or a country that recently emerged from a nationalist movement, there's nothing making those huge distinctions real beyond whatever flavour is built into a focus tree or whatever.
Yeah,hoi games are pretty shallow. But that is understandable,they are about a few years of action,not about empire building and such. It is about people playing as armchair generals.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Yeah,hoi games are pretty shallow. But that is understandable,they are about a few years of action,not about empire building and such. It is about people playing as armchair generals.

Obviously we must wait for Victoria 3, assume it's magically not shit, and then wait for the inevitable WWII mods. :P

... That said, has anyone tried the Victoria-like mod for HoI4? It looked pretty professional from what I saw on YouTube ages back.

Right, End of a New Beginning, that was it. Don't see anything "pops" related...

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Yugoslavia getting "a light rework" for Death or Dishonour owners, and some Romania changes. Today's dev diary:

Hello and welcome to another developer diary for the 1.10 Collie patch!

Today we’re going to be focusing on some content coming with the patch that will add new content for owners of the Death or Dishonor expansion. Everything that follows will be accessible to DoD owners and will not be unlocked by purchasing Battle for the Bosporus. Some of you may already know this from the leaked screenshot on the Steam store, but Yugoslavia will be getting a light rework coming free with the patch for any owners of Death or Dishonor.

pasted-image-0-png.633791

When I originally joined full-time on the project, I was given a list of common complaints from the community regarding the content in Death or Dishonor. Most of these issues were trivial, but none had a longer list of complaints than Yugoslavia so it seemed right that instead of attempting to stitch together a series of minimal low-visibility fixes, it would be best to do a partial rework of the Yugoslavia tree.

This is not quite to the scale of previous major reworks, however. The first draft of changes began as something I worked on out of my free time, so I wanted to keep scope low and avoid creating too much extra work on top of the existing BftB content while improving the overall quality of the Yugoslavia tree to give players more options to explore both history and alt-history.

pasted-image-0-1-png.633767

Let’s begin with the communist focuses, which have seen a little change. For a long time, Yugoslavia was able to branch off and make its own faction with itself, Bulgaria, and Albania but the chances of getting those nations to become Communist in a regular playthrough was pretty dang low. So, Yugoslavia now gains access to a series of decisions to steadily support a peasant’s uprising in both Bulgaria and Albania, creating a viable way to bring them into the Pan-Slavic Worker’s Congress.

pasted-image-0-2-png.633768

pasted-image-0-3-png.633769

Once done, Yugoslavia will gain access to a whole slew of new focuses with their faction reorganizing into the Pan-Balkan Worker’s Congress. Romania, Turkey, Greece, and Hugnary are all valid targets for peasant uprisings, so if you ever wanted to see the Balkans start wearing purple, Tito now has all the tools to do it.

pasted-image-0-4-png.633770

Next, we’ll take a look at the old monarchist focuses and how overall the decisions you made were pretty objectively one good decision and one bad. What I really liked about Yugoslavia was the fact that you were constantly making decisions with every focus you pick, following this kind of ladder-design, but with the new tree, I wanted to take that a step further and create some more meaningful and involved choices.

pasted-image-0-5-png.633771

At the very start of their focus tree, Yugoslavia has a choice to either pursue Evolution or Limited Self-Government. Evolution is basically the old Yugoslavia design, where you attempt to stomp out nationalism in your country by whatever means you see fit.

pasted-image-0-6-png.633772

First, establishing the Banate of Croatia no longer makes Croatia a puppet and instead gives Yugoslavia a temporary softer version of Croatian Opposition, but choosing to Crush the Ustase is now a much more involved process and can result in Croatian Nationalism being removed entirely. Crushing the Ustase is a series of decisions tied to two missions. One mission will make the Ustase rise up in an independence war, and the other will peacefully stamp them out. Players have access to a number of decisions to either delay the uprising or speed up the peaceful removal of the Ustase and it’ll take a lot of close attention to keep Yugoslavia in one piece while stamping out nationalism.

pasted-image-0-7-png.633773

For the next two focuses, Yugoslavia has the option to both play appeasement to Italy and Bulgaria while also permanently removing some of their problems. The old focuses do what they always have, but now the negative spirit gained only lasts for a few years, but giving up the territories to these powers will now grant a significant increase in opinion while removing the spirits completely.

pasted-image-0-8-png.633774

Now is as good a time as any to bring up the reworked Yugoslavian states! The goal of this state rework was to facilitate for both modern Balkan borders for the sake of releasables and historical occupation zones.

yugo-new-states-png.634184

But instead of doing all that work to maintain the union, Yugoslavia can choose instead to grant self-government to its constituent parts, permanently removing the negative spirits at the cost of losing all of its territory besides Serbia proper. Throughout this path, Yugoslavia will get to choose exactly how it wants to devolve itself; should the two Banovinas of Croatia be individually independent or should they be merged into one? Should the contested territory of Vojvodina be fortified against the Hungarians, given up to them as an act of appeasement, or granted self-government? The ladder design here is more of a choice of how chaotic you want the Balkans to be than a strategic decision. Personally, I enjoy achieving peak-Balkans and granting autonomy to everyone.

pasted-image-0-9-png.633775

Once done tearing itself apart, Yugoslavia can attempt to reintegrate its constituent parts, or grant full independence to the Balkans, replacing Yugoslavia with a military alliance backed up by a hefty number of free units shared between each of the Balkan nations. Going down the route of independence, the Balkans will have more than double the number of troops Yugoslavia begins the game with, so breaking yourself apart may not be such a bad decision with the Axis breathing down your neck.

pasted-image-0-10-png.633776

Prince Paul is no longer the blank slate he was in the old Yugoslavia design and trying to keep him in power means attempting to align yourself with the Axis. Just like before though, both Britain and the Yugoslavian military are deeply opposed to an Axis alliance, and attempting to do so may lead to a coup.

pasted-image-0-11-png.633777

However, should the coup fail and Paul remains in power, the regency will hardly be a regency after they rejected the right of the legitimate heir to take the throne, so perhaps a new King will be needed to guide Yugoslavia in its dark future…

pasted-image-0-12-png.633778

Joining the Allies brings its own set of difficulties, besides the distance of your friends in the West. King Peter is a mere 12 years old in 1936 and if you attempt to end the regency too early, you will be saddled with a monarch woefully unprepared for rulership.

young-peter-png.634190

Given a few years however, King Peter matures into the legitimate heir of the Yugoslav throne and may marry himself into a little more than just the Allies.

pasted-image-0-14-png.633780

The Royal Wedding focus allows King Peter to marry himself to many of the major Princesses in Europe and who is available adapts dynamically based on the current state of the world. If the Kaiser returns, Yugoslavia will be able to marry a German princess, similarly they may marry a Spanish princess should the Carlists win the Spanish Civil War. Their choice will then inform the outcome of the focus “The Royal Alliance”, which can bring Yugoslavia into a faction with whomever they chose to marry, with Princess Alexandra of Greece resulting in a historic Yugoslav entry to the Allies.

pasted-image-0-15-png.633781

Yugoslavia is not the only Death or Dishonor country getting new content, however. Romania will now have the ability to change sides midway through the war via a decision following a government coup.

pasted-image-0-16-png.633782

On top of that, the Divide Yugoslavia focus is now a game of bidding and demanding from the powers Romania chooses to invite to the dogpile. Similar to the SCW garrison system, each nation can make up to three bids on a Yugoslav state before being locked in as the controller. When each state is claimed, Romania may push the button and issue their demands to Yugoslavia. This can lead to some… interesting looking Balkans.

pasted-image-0-17-png.633783

There are more changes coming to Romania, but for that I will hand you over to our Producer.

Hi everyone, Vash here with some of the changes I’ve made for Romania. Back in February, one of our forum members, Zeprion, made some suggestions for Romania that we unfortunately couldn’t get to in time for La Resistance. While I still didn’t have the chance to get through the full list, I was able to make a few changes that I’m happy to talk about!

Previously, you may have noticed that the political parties and leaders in 1936 were swapped. Historically, the ruling party in 1936 was Democratic PNL, with Gheorghe Tătărescu as the leader. Armand Calimanescu was also the leader of Non-Aligned FRN. This has now been fixed, and they both have the correct party affiliations. This also means that Romania now starts off in 1936 as Democratic instead of Non-Aligned. We’ve also done some balancing on the back end to account for this change.

pasted-image-0-18-png.633784

pasted-image-0-19-png.633785

Next up, we also switched the starting fascist leader to Octavian Goga, who was the leader of the National Christian Party (Partidul Național Creștin). That means we’ve also switched the starting fascism party to the PNC.

pasted-image-0-20-png.633786

What this means for the player is that upon taking the Iron Guard focus, Ion Antonescu will become the figure head for the fascist party and the party will be renamed from the PNC to Garda de Fier.

pasted-image-0-21-png.633787

pasted-image-0-22-png.633788

Another important historical fact that Zeprion brought up was that King Michael’s Coup was not against his father, but against the fascist Iron Guard. We’ve now relocated this focus to the bottom of the fascist tree.

pasted-image-0-23-png.633789

This now gives the player three options to choose from. You can either stage the coup and appoint King Michael as the leader of the Democratic Party under a constitutional monarchy, force King Carol’s abdication and replace him with the leader of the most popular party, or Handle the King and allow King Carol to stay in power since he has changed his ways for the better.

We’ve also updated the state priorities for some of our building focuses to ensure they don’t give infrastructure bonuses to states you may have given up prior to the start of the war such as Bukovina, Bessarabia, and Northern Transylvania.

And last but not least, we’ve given Constantin Sanatescu a bit of an upgrade! Previously he was only available as an Army Chief with a defensive bonus, but he is now available as a General as well.

pasted-image-0-24-png.633790

That’s it for all the Romania changes for now. Thanks again to Zeprion for all the feedback, and I hope everyone enjoyed this week’s Dev Diary!

AwesomeButton

Patron
I just finished WW1 in my Russia campaign in The Great War Redux. Mixed feelings.

On one hand I had nearly reached Berlin when some kind of script took over and France which had already advanced a good bit into the Rhineland and Hessen, signed the Compiegne armistice. This was in mid-1917.

On the positive side, I avoided a Communist revolution. The emperor had to abdicate, but I deftly installed a regime headed by Gen. Kornilov in his place, and went with Constituent Assembly. I think this was a second-best to turning Russia into a constitutional monarchy and keeping the Romanovs in power.

At the start of the war I had a little over 200 divisions, most of them were set against A-H and Germany. I've seen people win WW1 with half as many, but I've yet to develop a sense of measure about how much is enough, and with the nearly limitless manpower reserve, you can get carried away. 3.2 million manpower and that's under "partial mobilisation".

I need to play more, but it feels like they've genuinely succeeded in preventing the simple tactic of overruning enemies with a human wave.

I produced some 30 destroyers but I never even touched my navy during the war. The only planes I built were during the war itself - fighters which I was throwing mainly at Germany, on Interception missions. Later I also had about 60 CAS which I was using to support my infantry. Somewhat realistic numbers for WW1, but if I had taken the care to stockpile planes before the war, I could have gone crazy with them.

I really liked the spy minigames and the whole system. It's a pity it hasn't been developed even more. For example it makes little sense to not be able to develop spy networks in allied countries. Paying for spy agency expansions with civillian factories is silly, it's high time Paradox put back money as a strategic resource, so it can be used for such puprposes, and not only.

Deadass

Savant
I just finished WW1 in my Russia campaign in The Great War Redux. Mixed feelings.

On one hand I had nearly reached Berlin when some kind of script took over and France which had already advanced a good bit into the Rhineland and Hessen, signed the Compiegne armistice. This was in mid-1917.

On the positive side, I avoided a Communist revolution. The emperor had to abdicate, but I deftly installed a regime headed by Gen. Kornilov in his place, and went with Constituent Assembly. I think this was a second-best to turning Russia into a constitutional monarchy and keeping the Romanovs in power.

At the start of the war I had a little over 200 divisions, most of them were set against A-H and Germany. I've seen people win WW1 with half as many, but I've yet to develop a sense of measure about how much is enough, and with the nearly limitless manpower reserve, you can get carried away. 3.2 million manpower and that's under "partial mobilisation".

I need to play more, but it feels like they've genuinely succeeded in preventing the simple tactic of overruning enemies with a human wave.

I produced some 30 destroyers but I never even touched my navy during the war. The only planes I built were during the war itself - fighters which I was throwing mainly at Germany, on Interception missions. Later I also had about 60 CAS which I was using to support my infantry. Somewhat realistic numbers for WW1, but if I had taken the care to stockpile planes before the war, I could have gone crazy with them.

I really liked the spy minigames and the whole system. It's a pity it hasn't been developed even more. For example it makes little sense to not be able to develop spy networks in allied countries. Paying for spy agency expansions with civillian factories is silly, it's high time Paradox put back money as a strategic resource, so it can be used for such puprposes, and not only.

now play TNO mod

AwesomeButton

Patron
now play TNO mod
sorry bro:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2173766180
ЭТА ИГРА НЕНАВИДИТ РУССКИХ НЕ СКАЧИВАЙТЕ
THIS GAME HATES RUSSIANS DO NOT INSTALL

Seriously though I would see what it's about but I'm more keen on the slight and more plausible deviations from real history.

BTW I had one more comment on The Great War Redux which I forgot about. Just as I had calculated, it makes no sense to go the historical way with Russia, mobilize by using the Decision, and start the war in 1914. Postponing entry for as long as possible - The Ottoman Empire usually declares war on Russia in the first half of 1915 - allows you to prepare better and begin with a larger stockpile.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I had a post that wouldn't derail the thread and I wanted to try to narrate in how many places the game is absolutely broken, and that's 4 years after release, but I need to play more before I can make a good summary of it.

I would like to see it.

I dunno, I just can't get into HOI IV as much as I can into DH.
Here are some points I've collected. They are by no means everything, but I think it's some of the design decisions that the problems originate from:

- Battle plans make for a prettier picture on the map, but they conceal an overall simplification of the combat mechanics. I know that the "party line" at Paradox is "battle plans reduce micro", but that is shit of course. It's not battle plans that reduce micro, it's the overall simplification of combat resolution mechanics that allows the battle plans system of hands-off high-level ordering of armies to be viable.It is remarkable how detailed you can still go with "armies" receiving multi-step plans, but the fact is that you will never make use of the flexibility which the game and UI give you. Most of the time you just draw an arrow on the map, and after the initial engagements, you begin microing by picking up single divisions by the ear and showing them the way. In other words - the same as what you used to do in Darkest Hour, only there you weren't doing it with single divisions but usually with 3-division "corps" commanded by its own Leutenant-General. This was more immersive, and paradoxically more convenient - you could fish out the core you need more easily than the single division. Not to mention that you rarely care which exact division you pick up when in a pinch to support some neighboring combat, whereas in DH you would have to lovingly micro your corps - or at least I used to do it. I had no option but to know my 3-division army corps because I had created each of them by hand. What I'm sure of is that if in DH you would try to throw around divisions the way your battle plans throw them around in HOI4, you would lose every time. So call that what you will, I will call it "dumbing down".

- No more custom supply depots. No automatic supply depots either. Supply is no longer something you can stockpile at a certain "place" or tile on the map. Instead supply just flows from a point of origin (a country capital) down to divisions wherever they are on the map. The player doesn't care anymore about transport capacity, only about the infrastructure level of the "states" (the province groupings) on the path between the point of origin and the divisions.

- The above simplification leads to the reality that surrounding the capital of the enemy cuts supplies to all its forces, anywhere in the world. Yes, this means that you can literally starve the whole Red Army by encircling Moscow and waiting a few months. Checkmate, Stalin!

- No commanders of air wings.

- You need "civillian factories" for conversion of previously converted "civillian" to "military factories" back to civillian?! What if you've converted all you civillian to military - the game won't stop you or warn you - then you have no industrial capacity to convert back with. This actually happened to me once.

- Command Mana needs to die. It wasn't even in the game at the beginning. Makes zero sense to have some infantry divisions farm XP by training, and as a result of that experience, go on and "invent" an amphibious division template.

- HOI 4 lacks money as a strategic resource. Partly this is the reason for trade being dumbed down to "selling" civillian factories for resource inflow. There are no national stockpiles of resources anymore. So you can't build up reserves before a war and then economically expend them during the war. Once you start a war and your supply lines happen to be cut, your production will suffer immediately.

- Naval invasions performed using convoys to transport soldiers makes no sense, neither in game nor in historical context. Troop transport ships are apparently not necesseary in Paradox's version of WW2. I hoped this was something that was a stopgap solution and would be fixed in a navy-centered expansion, but apparently not, because it wasn't fixed in "Man the Guns".

- Doctrines are no longer locked by year. You can research your full doctrine tree and give yourself bonuses, ostensibly resulting from your General Staff research, for technologies you do not yet have, and then after the fact, research the technologies that open up the troop types which benefit from these doctrines. This is pretty dumb.

- The production system in HOI4, although so much more realistic and flexible than in older games, opens the door to game-balance exploits. Just one example is support companies. In DH they feel more like a luxury that you only reach for when you can afford it and when you know will use it. In HOI4 they become much cheaper to produce, because of the universal "support equipment" resource which can be spent on every kind of support company. You don't have "recon support equipment", "engineer support equipment", etc., it's just a generic "support equipment resource". So you stop looking at them as "support" and start including them in your base templates, because it's easy to be bathing in support equipment, which suits you for every type of support company. If this was DH you couldn't on a whim turn your engineering support brigades into artillery support brigades, once they are already in the production queue.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Can we finally get a GOOD mod about victorious reich[post war time like in TNO] made by actual nazis/fascists? Where US which is manipulated/ruled by jews and tries to do everything in their power to stop the germany[even cause terrorist attacks]. Where life is good in the reich. TNO is a nice mod that tackle the post war period, but it's yet another "nazis were super ebul" mod, particularly the Himmler is portrayed like some kind of monster[probably because mod authors believe the old adage that he orchestrated "holocaust"]. Also the slavery thing, nazis never enslaved workers[beside people in camps, but these get there because they were undesirable elements in society] in occupied territories, foreigners like poles who worked in german companies were paid and got housing.
American gameplay also lacks alternative routes, you can't move blacks to liberia 2.0. What's the point of that "great democracy" when basically nothing can change no matter your choice of parties? And authoritarian democracy is just dictatorship with extra steps to fool the masses.
The funniest thing is -mod authors actually believe that giving LGBT rights, will increase population xD. And who the hell cares about LGBT rights in a frigging wargame. It was a nonexistant issue and still is for a country.
Then you have jewish uprising in the midst of one of reichkomissariat. I thought the mainstream historical belief was that hitler would exterminate all jews. Then why add jewish uprising on the reich territory? That is just inconsistent...
Then there's Lehi a jewish "national socialist" party, which isn't true. National socialism was uniquely german creation. Lehi was more like "jewish supremacist zionism" party. Calling them national socialism is just plain stupid.
2XbLa2.png

Only interesting dynamic in the mod is the factionalism between different german leaders, albeit in reality all of them were very loyal to hitler and ideas of NS. TNO will always be a mod made by liberal democrats and it shows, because they favour that ideology.

I will stay with Fuhrerreich, much more sane and real portrayal of NS germany.

Last edited:

Alexios

Augur
Patron
- The production system in HOI4, although so much more realistic and flexible than in older games, opens the door to game-balance exploits. Just one example is support companies. In DH they feel more like a luxury that you only reach for when you can afford it and when you know will use it. In HOI4 they become much cheaper to produce, because of the universal "support equipment" resource which can be spent on every kind of support company. You don't have "recon support equipment", "engineer support equipment", etc., it's just a generic "support equipment resource". So you stop looking at them as "support" and start including them in your base templates, because it's easy to be bathing in support equipment, which suits you for every type of support company. If this was DH you couldn't on a whim turn your engineering support brigades into artillery support brigades, once they are already in the production queue.
I mostly agree with your assessment but I don't think it's accurate to say it's very easy to be bathing in support equipment. You do need to be strategic about producing support equipment, depending on what country you're playing. It's quite easy to under-produce and end up halting deployment and reinforcement completely. I think this is overall a better approach than the older games, where you could simply do serial production of your support units and gradually add them to all your divisions.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
There are not many games that allows empire building. In fact, HoI4 is one of few games where you can conquer the world as ComChi, and build China's industry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom