Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Heaven's Vault - open world adventure from 80 Days and Sorcery! dev

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Feb 28, 2017.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    https://www.inklestudios.com/heavensvault/

https://www.gog.com/game/heavens_vault?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Text to full 3D, eh?: http://www.inklestudios.com/2017/03/03/announcing-heavens-vault.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2019
    • Brofist x 4
    • Informative x 3
    • Participation Award x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    The art did catch my eye. Although I would simply call them "COMICS".

Man, this is really a cheap line. Bravo. Add L.A. Noire and Saint's Row too, why not!

No clue about this. Does it actually mean anything good?

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    Sorcery was a wonderful journey playing it trough around when 4 was released.

I cannot cannot get excited.

It's,cool that,they explore such rarely explored culture in western media too. I hope their office dont get bombed,or anything

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    Would've rather seen another text-based game as I loved both Sorcery! and 80 days (for slightly different reasons, 80 days is way less of a "game" so to speak). But hopefully it'll be good!

^ Top  
  5. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    But not bad name dropping. I mean, stuff like Moebius, Wolfe, and The Last Express are decently well known, but they're not "the new hot shit" that you throw out there just to build hype.

^ Top  
  6. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Funny how adventure graphics have come full circle from the late 90s.
    I think Infocom is always good thing to have as influence. And Witness was pretty solid, if somewhat artificial.

^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...ault-a-stunning-sci-fi-archaeology-adventure/

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Coming this year:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Release in Spring:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • nice nice x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Coming April 16th.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Released:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Pretty Prophet Patron

Pretty
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Can anyone answer if this is BASED or WOKE?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    Got it. Probably gunna try tomorrow.

^ Top  
  14. Multi-headed Cow Scholar

Multi-headed Cow
    Looking forward to hearing about it. Been really impressed with Inkle's other stuff but since this is something different I'm interested to hear how it pans out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    Played 6 hours today. Been loving it.
    The story and central mystery is amazing so far, kinda hard to make sense of and get into at first, but it got me hooked real good.

I think it falls more into more a walking sim category, but dechipering the language is fun.

If you choose to, the game do all the work for you, but figuring how it works is fun. For example, i figured how to differentiate verb words with nouns or adjectives from simply a pattern of the character, and how the glyphs works to make a word. For example, the word "holy", "god", "divine" has similar character combined with other character that indicate whether it is a noun, or an adjective. So the character + noun mark means god or godesses. The same character + adjective means holy or divine depending on the context. So is the word that more or less means a person. I figured out, with the context, for example the emperors and empress of the ancient empire is deified people.

So in the rough speculation, the character "holy" and person "person" combined make the word "emperor". They put alot of work into this fictional letters. For example the word "bless" is also comprised with the mark that indicate a verb and the character "holy" so it means "to make something holy" aka to bless.

You arent required to recognize these so far, as the game automatically translate most stuff if you got right information, but it is perfectly possible to learn the language yourself. i am learning japanese and Chinese language atm, while i am still a beginner, not even a novice, but it is kinda similar to how hanzi/kanji works. In Chinese there are some hanzi, which is made severL characters, then when combined mean roughly the combination of those words while it still have its own fitting translation.

My only complaint so far is walking speed is SLOW.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    Playing a bit of this one, I'm quite liking it so far. Feels like a unique experience which is always welcome. Like HoboForEternity says, it is a walking simulator in a sense, I would guess there are no "failstates" or any real roadblocks to the player's progress. But, the whole translation minigame is a lot of fun, the game presents they mystery of it really well. It's easy to get sucked in.
    And like 80 Days, it's a very relaxing way to spend your time. Again though, no challenge. But... this is a game that still manages to be interesting to play.

I'm not sure I feel the whole change to controlling your character and walking around adds much though. The whole thing feels kinda clunky to play. I prefer the Sorcery and 80 Days way of moving about, where you just click where you want to go and then get the little text adventures.

Still, really liking it so far. It's always nice to play a game that does it's own thing.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    ^ Top  
  17. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    So is a sjw shit fest or is a normal game?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    normal

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Gave it a shot and quit after 15 minutes. The story seems interesting, and I didn't get much of gameplay, but the visual presentation, UI and controls annoy the crap out of me - to the point of not being able to continue.

^ Top  
  20. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    V_K is right in terms of the UI and controls at least (I don't mind the visuals myself). It feels pretty clunky, and what should be a fun gameplay thing (translating texts and going back to older ones and trying to get them right) is just not very fun due to the shitty UI. The way you can talk and "monologue" when you're walking around is a great idea but again, it feels pretty clunky.
    I also think they dropped the ball on the ship sailing, exploration mechanic. It's a fun idea, especially since you can find artefacts on the way, but it just takes too long. They did add a fast travel thing in a patch though.

I'm still kinda in love with it though. It's just a supernice game to relax with. I guess there are storybeats that you have to go through and all that but I love that it feels kinda freeform and it feels like there's almost always something new for the characters to talk about whenever you go somewhere. The story and background to the world is a lot of fun to discover, and the music really helps with the mystery of it all.

I really like Inkle's games I must say. Even though they are very simple in a way and "gameplay light" (well, Sorcery! was a bit more involved I guess), they occupy a really nice niche for me. Again, very relaxing.

^ Top  
  21. V_K Arcane

V_K
    The visuals are ok, it's the presentation that didn't work for me. Like a combination of OTS camera control and sprite PC with limited animation (and why on earth is she half-transparent?). Or the way the game shows dialog lines on stalks, which it draws after the showing the whole line.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    GOG being a scumbag again

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2019
    • decline decline x 2
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
    https://www.pcgamer.com/gog-rejected-heavens-vault-but-is-now-having-second-thoughts/

:rpgcodex:

Don't do it - make GOG pay the price for their lack of vision.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)