Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Heavy Rain

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Heavy Rain, just like Fahrenheit and the other Cage games all have this bullshit need to add ever more supernatural, superfantastic elements out of nowhere that fuck up the narrative and make it completely nonsensical. These games start off in a cool, noirish, down to earth way(even if Fahrenheit had a supernatural element, it was just one thing giving a focus), then ever more ridiculous elements are introduced that make it lose focus. Matrix fights between AI's and illuminati shit from nowhere ruined the second half of Fahrenheit and HR had similar shit.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I played it on PS3, and it was an ok novelty (I didn't play Fahrenheit). But the QTEs were annoying, even back then. In 2019, they should feel even more outmoded. Ironically, I best remember the slow beginning.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Heavy Rain is gonna release today !
on Epic games store

this is pretty big news for the non console folks. I almost bought a PS3 back then so I could play Heavy Rain, but nope, here's the computer release. :bounce:

anyone else going to play it? anyone any experience with the game?

edit: added trailer. phew, I can only hope the game is better than the trailer suggests. :?

You almost bought a console to play a (very slightly) interactive visual novel?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I don't think so.
Heavy Rain isn't going to be any less interactive than cutscene simulator Twitcher or "I wanna be a book" Planetscape, methinks.
Yeah ok ignore my previous post.

You are without a shadow of a doubt, a monumental, ocean-going, grade 1 dumbfuck.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This game has the worse storytelling and writing ever, I could rant endlessly about it.
I'll just say this : in one scene in the climax of the game, one character is shocked to hear the name of the killer although it's a name he/she never heard. In another scene, a character phones another character for help although they are mutually unaware of each others existence besides both being playable. In another scene, a character has a supernatural memory loss although the supernatural sequence was actually cut from the game.

Every encounter ends in a ridiculous battle for absolute random reasons, and a man with broken ribs, burnt torso, escapes a police ambush involving elite shooters and global surveillance of the area. The same man can also spend time having sex with a girl, thinking his son has merely hours left before being murdered.

Don't consider these spoilers, but warnings. This game is absolutely fucking terrible.

Interactive movies don't have to be terrible. They could be enjoyable experiences if they're nicely written and have involving stories. As long, however, David Cage (actually named David de Gruttola but he wanted his name to be more american like because movies) is acclaimed to be the vanguard of the genre, it's a fucked genre.

Starwars

Arcane
Make sure to enjoy all that superb voiceacting when it's downloaded. The detective guy trying to act angry was one of my faves if I recall.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
I forgot that classic scene where it looks like this guy is having a sudden heart attack, pulls out the ventolin, takes it the wrong way, and instantly gets better.

I should do a fucking Let's Play of the game to start my youtube carreer.

Insert Title Here
I liked it when I played it, but my tastes have changed since, and the most glaring issue is that the game lies to you. This will become apparent once you finish it. To me that's unforgivable, even worse than the faux "choices", so if you are actually looking to solve whodunit as when reading a detective novel, prepare for disappointment.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
I liked it when I played it, but my tastes have changed since, and the most glaring issue is that the game lies to you. This will become apparent once you finish it. To me that's unforgivable, even worse than the faux "choices", so if you are actually looking to solve whodunit as when reading a detective novel, prepare for disappointment.

It's also extremely pretentious for a very very lame story.

On another hand, the most fun I had with this kind of gameplay was with Until Dawn, a slasher/movie game, because it was exactly the opposite. Dumb, and focused purely on fun. It worked perfectly and while I do not doubt it suffers from the same flaws from any other game of the genre (fake choices, etc) what matters is that it gave me three evenings of pure entertainment.

Heavy Rain while aiming to "make videogames art" was retarded, because to achieve such a goal, you need much better writers than there are at Quantic Dreams.

Insert Title Here
taxalot Agree that Until Dawn is much better, played it a few months ago. Written well enough to feel like a real teen horror movie. But man the fake choices in that game are hard to swallow as well, after I completed it I read criticisms and discovered almost none of the totems matter because they are either unhelpful or involve characters who cannot die until the end of the game no matter what you do, so that mechanic is basically just more lies/trickery. Uninstalled because there's no reason to replay it despite the illusion of replayability suggested by the butterfly effect meme. These story games have baited me for the last time, and I will wait a decade before I touch another one. Hopefully story game design will have evolved away from smoke and mirrors by then. Actually I'm not very optimistic about that.

:negative:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Until Dawn is p. good yeah. At least it has a decent story and actual branching storylines.

The branches mostly relate to who gets brutally killded and/or horribly dismembered, but at least it's NOT BORING.

Martyr

Arcane
up until now, I don't get the hate.
sure, the gameplay sucks. QTEs are shit, big news, who would've thunk. :roll:
but other than that, Heavy Rain is somewhat like an interactive Se7en. grim atmosphere, story's about a serial killer, lots of rain and gray skies - a perfect fit for me.
yeah, the game can still turn to shit, as I've only played around 4 hours. but those 4 hours were highly enjoyable.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
It does turn to shit, though. Like for a game that is designed solely around the narrative experience, to have a pants-on-head retarded story is a cardinal and unforgivable sin.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also grabbed this and am looking forward to finally trying it.

Not expecting much, but it at least sounded innovative back in the day and I had a huge itch to play it at the time, so this is a nice gift to my past self. I think/hope I can get some mileage out of it.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
but other than that, Heavy Rain is somewhat like an interactive Se7en. grim atmosphere, story's about a serial killer, lots of rain and gray skies - a perfect fit for me.
yeah, the game can still turn to shit, as I've only played around 4 hours. but those 4 hours were highly enjoyable.

Congratulations, you're almost through the intro.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
It's a nice game, enjoy it and don't worry about hate it receives here. When you're finished, play Farenheit.

I'd understand the hate if we're talking about Beyond: Two Souls, good Lord that was a torture.

Martyr

Arcane
okay, I beat Heavy Rain. took me about 10 hours.

how I rate the GAMEPLAY:
:1/5:
I always knew it was shit, even back in 2009. I've never liked quick time events. but tbh they were pretty easy and less annoying than I expected.

how I rate the STORY:
:4/5:
pretty damn good. that FBI agent and his sci-fi technology were a bit weird. I also didn't like the killer's motive, but tbh I never really liked motives.
Billy Loomis (Scream): "Well I don't really believe in motives (...) See it's a lot scarier when there's no motive." quoted for truth.
so I prefer killers simply not having a motive at all, because motives always seem way too artificial. or if the motive is completely fucked up, like Buffalo Bill's self hate and wish to transform into another person.
I got sort of a happy ending, which I personally don't like that much. I'm always going to prefer semi fucked up, grim endings like in Silence of the Lambs, Se7en and The Fugitive. but I can't hold that against Heavy Rain. I'm well aware that there are multiple endings that vary in grimness. if the ending that I got would be the only one, I would've rated the game as less enjoyable.

and here's my FINAL RATING:
:4/5:
like I've said, I knew the gameplay itself was going to be shit, so no surprise. I bought Heavy Rain expecting something like a slightly interactive Se7en and that's exactly what I got. I will also replay Heavy Rain in the future, to see some of the other endings.

I still don't get the hate this game got in my thread, but I guess that's just the typical Codexian tryhard edginess.

next up is Return of the Obra Dinn, but after that I'll replay Fahrenheit. can't remember a single thing about Fahrenheit, too long ago since I've played it. but I want to see how Fahrenheit compares to Heavy Rain in quality.

Starwars

Arcane
Hey Martyr, a simple question, one of a million I could pose about the shitty story in this game if I could remember more of it, from a Codexian tryhard. Why does the father character (Ethan I think his name is, been a while) suffer blackouts and wake up with origami figures on him?

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I still don't get the hate this game got
Matter of context. The game was hyped for its c&c and revealed to have a lot of fake c&c or irrelevant occurences of c&c. We're not exactly on the right website for this type of masquerade, hence the hate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom