Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Helherron - a very addictive Nahlakh-like game

Gunnar

Arbiter
I fear I may have gimped myself by taking a Lizardman Monk.. He has good hitting chances, but he hardly does any damage! :(

And it's weird- the stats screen says he should be the same damage as my 2-handed-axe wielding dorf.

But everytime, each time the dorf hits, lots more blood spurts than when the monk hits.

The monk is like a half fighter. He makes up for it by being able to cast priest spells, which can be a huge advantage later on. While standing on the front line he can Dispel charmed characters, cast great wall, summon monsters, and he can buff to take the MP load off your full priest. Meanwhile, priest is as squishy as they come and gets ganked if a monster gets near him. I wasn't impressed with the class at first but he's grown on me. The big problem in this game is getting enough spellbooks to go around (at least for me - I have priest, mage, shaman and monk)

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yep, that's what I figured - I mainly use him to cast "Unconfuse" and shit like that.

It's still odd that he does so little damage despite showing the same numbers..

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I made a monk as my third fighter but he doesn't have enough learning so he can't cast priest spells. His main strength is his defensive bonus meaning most enemies miss if they attack. I like monk better than the bard in my previous playthrough.

For some reason cacaodemon in astral plane wasn't affected by holy weapons.

mercyRPG

Cipher
Yep, that's what I figured - I mainly use him to cast "Unconfuse" and shit like that.

Does your monk hit multiple times in battle? Does he have more than 7 or ~10 movement points?

Gunnar

Arbiter

Don't forget about stealth, it can come in very handy being able to reposition/retreat with the monk, when the other fighters get locked up on the front line.

I took martial arts and it's ok, but it's kind of a bummer that I can't craft an uber weapon for him.

mercyRPG

Cipher
Didn't reach any AP-boosting things yet..
Increase your monks strength by any means significantly and you'll get nicely increased damage and large blood fountains as a consequence.

A "Wizardry 7 / Bard's Tale III"-style ability enhancement could come in handy in Helherron: several training schools for Monks allowing radical increase in strength and infusing the monk's blood with combat magic to give him increased normal and elemental damage.

Currently there is Lanco's Weapon training - where Antti could code in various types of bladed or bludgeoning magical Fist-Weapons to hit magical beasts, and Nibon's potions + Bombay's for elixirs of Strength.

Simplest solution is to allow venues for Monks for significant STR increase and above certain strength limits, allow damaging magical beasts gaining +1, +2, +3, ...+10 "weaponized fists" imbuing the monks hands and feet with magic in a monastery.

akuukka

Educated
EDIT: AAAAH FUCKING GODDAMN BUG MADE A DEAD GUY'S THING'S DISAPPEAR AGAIN

HJOW DO I AVOID THAT

I PICKED HIS SHIT UP AND IT'S GONE

PLEASE HELP

I would be super thankful if somebody comes up with reproduction steps to this bug. I have checked the code gazillion times but can't figure out why the items disappear sometimes. Damn, if I had any income from helherron the reproduction steps would be worth a bounty.

akuukka

Educated
MOVEMENT POINTS BUGGED

I enchanted rings of quickness for my halfling archer so he has 18 movement points and still can only shoot once per turn.

Its not a bug. Quickness makes your character only move faster. Aiming and shooting speed unaffected. I know its disappointing but archers with 4-5 shoots per turn would be very bad for game balance

akuukka

Educated
And another Q for me?
About Rings of Duration..

Does the Caster have to wear these, or the castee?
I tried casting Magic Armor in both methods, and the spell duration seems to be similar, not doubled... Bugged?
The caster. I will check if there's a bug here.

akuukka

Educated
When exactly do the items disappear? Right after battle the item pack is nowhere to be found?

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I have lost items once so far and it happened after fighting bandits. Two of my chars died but I only found one set of items and it didn't cover the items for both of them.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
When exactly do the items disappear? Right after battle the item pack is nowhere to be found?
It doesn't matter that much anymore, but I remember the details pretty clearly - It was in the Goblin Cave. I remember seeing the dead guy's stuff - trying to pick them up, but then the dude trying to pick it up was overburdened and I pressed tried giving it to another character, and from there it disappeared.

mercyRPG

Cipher
Dead Guys Lost Items Bug checked:

It doesn't matter that much anymore, but I remember the details pretty clearly - It was in the Goblin Cave. I remember seeing the dead guy's stuff - trying to pick them up, but then the dude trying to pick it up was overburdened and I pressed tried giving it to another character, and from there it disappeared.

Open this save:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/z16xr9f0gxzctrc/Helherron_DeadGuysItemsLostBugCheck.zip

1. The party is in the Goblin Cave.
2. There is a fresh dead guy, named "8", in the party
3. Three items lie on the ground: "8's items", Crossbow and Rags
4. Party member number "7", a Halfling Bard, is already overburdened. He can pick up only 1 item, then no more.
5. No matter how you swap items or party members, placing the dead guy in any position, playing basketball with "8's items" giving it to anybody, dropping it on the ground repeatedly, picking it up, trying to pick it up with a 100% overburdened "7" then picking it up with an other member from "7's item pick up-menu", it doesn't get lost.

6. However:
Usually a new party at the beginning of the game has a lot of cheap, repetitive stuff and you wanted to pick up the dead guy's items with a party member, who already has ~13 items in his inventory and the dead guy's stuff consists of like 5 cheap items of similar name, its EASY to perceive that you have "lost" the dead guy's items if you either OPEN the CONTAINER named "Dead Guy's Name' Items" and mix up those cheap items (very similar to the other's members' stuff) in short term memory, because as soon as you open a container it DISAPPEARS, but the dead guy's items are transferred to the place where ever the container was opened. If you open the container in somebody's inventory then the items appear there and the container item named "Dead Guys Name"'s Items is lost forever.. but it was only a name, the real items are there, - on the ground or in the inventory, where ever you opened the container.

If you opened the container, where was more than 12 items already, its easy to perceive the Dead Guy's Items as LOST, because the container named "Dead Guy's Name' Items" disappears and your mind automatically assumes :
- "Aha! Now my dead guys' stuff is no longer there, ha!"
When the exact opposite is true: the items from the opened container are poured out and simply mixed with the similarly named other stuff in the inventory. Must be lots of cheap stuff "at the Goblin's Cave stage of the game" and it really appears as if you have lost the dead guys items, but in reality they are just mixed with whatever is on the ground or in the inventory, when you pressed "E", opening the container, dumping its contents into the same place. The game then correctly sees no longer any use for the container "Dead Guy's Name' Items" and destroys it, giving you the exact items it contained, so no items get lost, just a logical container - the "disposable wraps or bag" the dead guy's items were enveloped in - is thrown away by the game.

Last edited:

overtenemy

Augur
Possible bug. Is Summon Elemental supposed to be so difficult to learn and cast? It's significantly harder than summon golem, which costs more MP and is further up on the list. In fact, roided up on drugs my shaman can cast 3x golem at 90%...but 1x summon elemental is zero. That can't be right. Had that damn spellbook sitting in my backpack for so long too.

akuukka

Educated
Possible bug. Is Summon Elemental supposed to be so difficult to learn and cast? It's significantly harder than summon golem, which costs more MP and is further up on the list. In fact, roided up on drugs my shaman can cast 3x golem at 90%...but 1x summon elemental is zero. That can't be right. Had that damn spellbook sitting in my backpack for so long too.

Your Shaman is probably much better in Prayer than Magic.

overtenemy

Augur
Oh what the fuck, I didn't even look. I just assumed summons were all prayers since they had been previously. Well, that sucked.

Edit: That is to say all summons I've used thus far had been prayers.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Hey buddy, have you tried compiling a version of WinXP yet like shown earlier? I have a laptop handy for testing that.

akuukka

Educated
Not yet, my Windows computer is so slow that it is pretty much unusable. I only use it to compile release builds when I update Helherron. But once 2.104 is out, I will try compiling it with the XP compatibility settings.

Been very busy with my job lately so there hasn't been much progress on Helherron recently. But will be on a long vacation soon, so this will change.

mercyRPG

Cipher
MOVEMENT POINTS BUGGED

I enchanted rings of quickness for my halfling archer so he has 18 movement points and still can only shoot once per turn.

Its not a bug. Quickness makes your character only move faster. Aiming and shooting speed unaffected. I know its disappointing but archers with 4-5 shoots per turn would be very bad for game balance

The player must get proud watching his fighters grow and watch them attack twice, then thrice when attaining sufficient number of high levels. There should be also cleave, round strikes hitting multiple enemies surrounding the higher level fighter. This is a minimum. Judging from early posts in this thread, quickened archers could shoot multiple times in previous versions of Helherron.

Mages and priests and bards already can kill multiple enemies in one round when reaching high enough level..

Gunnar

Arbiter
I've cleared all the dungeons except for the two pyramids. It seems I'm missing a Snake key and a Scorpion key.

Looking back, have to say that Mages are the most fun enemy to fight, and each mage type has it's own specialty. Arachnohominid mages with their summoning and mass healing are the most rage inducing. I fought a zebra blob and filled up the entire screen with blob parts, that was fun. I liked the undead creatures where they split into parts and threw their rotting heads at you. I liked the monsters that did suicide runs and exploded. I wish there had been more of this sort of thing - like for example when you fight the giant octopus in the water dungeon, it should have swarms of tentacles as separate monsters all around trying to slow and stun enemies, instead of just being a big target.

Flower men are completely retarded as a concept and I disliked the magic forest design the most as well. The forest area should be more forest-like instead of just big clearings with straight linear corridors connecting them.

If I did it over, I would have saved up and made each character an "of stunning" weapon ASAP. Silver is pretty good as a material as there are lots of undead in the game, BUT undead are trivialized by the repel undead spell so it's not really needed. I ended up making Adamantium weapons for the boost to magic resist, which is the most important resist IMO, though they are ridiculously expensive to upgrade. Apart from that - attribute boosting and resistance items seem to be the best. I found a knife of 100% immunity to all somewhere and duplicated it, perfect for wizards.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Twice now my game has crashed. Both times it was in quick combat. First time i wasn't paying any attention since it was juat bandits i was facing, but on second time my mage had just casted ball lightning and it was moving when the crash occurred.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom