Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hell let Loose

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Btw. Do you think the game will become and EPIC store exclusive? The publisher Team 17 switched over one game to their store already, it's using the U4 engine and it's not released yet.

It's already on steam so it should be there also.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You are missing the point. The game is not coming out on Steam, but has a Steam page because before EPIC bribed them with cash it was planned to be released on Steam. It might still be, after the exclusivity deal of course. I'm just worried Hell Let Loose will go the same way.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/712190/announcements/detail/1721961700671288107

You might be wondering what this announcement means for Steam users and we will be able to update you in the near future but we can confirm that Genesis Alpha One will not be launching on Steam on January 29th 2019. We understand that this will be frustrating to some of you who have supported the game since it was revealed, and we are extremely thankful for all your suggestions and feedback.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
There have been no word from Black Matter (developers) that they are going on epic store so far so idk.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Looks good, but the audience it's aiming for is rather niche. Combine that with the fact this will require a lot of players on one server alone just for the formula to work, and it's not boding well for its lifespan.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Recorded a small clip. The foundation is pretty good I guess. But the game is missing some "hardcore" things like leaning, jumping over stuff etc. There is also a big issue with sound when you get shot at. The whizzes and cracks are so god damn low, that often you just topple over with no idea that you are being shot at even. It got potential at least, but this beta feels super early!

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It launched. Apparently, it flopped. They completely threw away the sim style gameplay and large maps to chase a bigger audience, and the performance is ass too.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Performance is actually better than it was in the pre-steam version. But yeah, the simulated approach to the game has been lost, and it's just another RO2 or Day of Defeat.

wait, wut? dafuq? I'm a bit lost here due to my stopidity, but i heard it's no where near Squad anymore? I was pretty excited for it since it appeared to be close to Squad whilst still introducing new, fresh mechanics to deepen the strategy. It also has mixed reviews on steam.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
It' just a wave spawn shooter now, or at least it plays like that now with sectors you have to cap. Those sectors also has artificial limits to them. Like when you cap a sector it will be immune to recap for a couple of minutes so there is no real struggle for points after the initial cap. It's also super fast paced so no reason to build any cool bunkers and stuff.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
and it's just another RO2
Even worse, bolt action rifles don't kill beyond 50m with a body shot. This is worse than even Rising Storm 2, where intermediate cartridge rifles can kill by either hitting a vital organ (does this game even simulate spine, heart and gut shots?) and full size cartridge weapons always kill with a body shot, no matter the range.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I don't think so, it just has an overall amateurish feel to it with no real vision... at least not the simulater vision anymore.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I can see my old posts here and I was not too pleased about the game, but they did manage to turn it around, making it more team based. Been having a lot of fun with it, and I did recommend the game in the Steam thread. Here comes the but. But now they have reverted some of the changes they made that promoted squad cohesion and flanking. In a patch they made player-built spawn points in captured areas indestructible, which had you breath easy for a while and actually focus on either defense or attack. It promoted team work, flanking, and big battles. But of course some vocal lone wolves complained about it constantly and they have now reverted that change. So now you have to guard your back line, your spawn points and it's a fucking draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag on the gameplay. Half the team now have to run around looking for recon squads in the supposed secured area instead of participating in the battle. I don't understand these idiots in development. First they correct themselves, but now they go back to the old tedious design again. Fucking hell.

Curratum

and it's just another RO2
Even worse, bolt action rifles don't kill beyond 50m with a body shot. This is worse than even Rising Storm 2, where intermediate cartridge rifles can kill by either hitting a vital organ (does this game even simulate spine, heart and gut shots?) and full size cartridge weapons always kill with a body shot, no matter the range.

Jesus Christ, thank goodness for the codex. I was watching hyped reviews about how great the last patch made the game and was about to buy.

I just fucked out of BF V because people would happily shrug off two Garand shots to the chest and fuck off behind a corner or go prone. Is that still the case - do bolt action rifles NOT kill 1 shot to the chest in the current patch of HLL?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
They changed it back. BAR, MP44, MGs, Garand and Kar98 do kill with one shot to the chest. Arm shot is survivable, especially if it's long range.

Mp40, Greasegun and Thompson now takes 2-3 shots to kill, depending on hit. M1 Carbine is weird. Still have not figured out how the damage works on that one. Some times you insta kill with it, but at other times it takes 2-3 shots. But I do feel that the rifle is in a better place now, it was a freaking over powered beast, and kind of still is.

Curratum

Welp, that's good news to me.

The heavy sim aspect is not a big selling point to me, I don't need to capture fuel depots for my tanks to move onwards, I just like the scale, the realistic maps and the scope of the game. Eastern front in 2021 as well. And if combat is not shooting at porky pig bullet sponges, then I might as well dip in.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
You can avoid all that by just going rifleman/assault etc. I do enjoy playing engineer myself, building up resource nodes, building fortifications etc. Makes me feel like a builder from a RTS :P

I recommend getting a mic and working with your squad. The game really shines when you get a good group going, flanking and such.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
https://www.reddit.com/r/HellLetLoo...orizons_for_hell_let_loose_next_gen_consoles/

During development of Hell Let Loose on PC, we’ve been fortunate to experience an expanding audience, and interestingly many new players from different gaming backgrounds - from AAA military shooters like Battlefield and Call of Duty, to strategy games like Hearts of Iron.

When the next generation consoles announced, we realised quickly that Hell Let Loose would be technically achievable on the new platforms, and that it might be a great opportunity to introduce the realistic shooter to a much larger audience who have never had the opportunity to experience this genre.

As a result, we’re excited to announce that Hell Let Loose will be launching on the Playstation 5 and the Xbox Series S and X later this year as one of the first large scale military shooters for the next generation, and one of the only hardcore realistic FPS games available on console.

As a team, we felt that if we were to take Hell Let Loose to consoles, we’d need to make sure that there were several things in place so that the PC version of the game was not only unhindered, but benefited from the process.

Fundamentally, Hell Let Loose was only possible due to the grassroots support of our PC community and we are deeply committed to fulfilling the promises we’ve made - both in final quality, optimisation and continued development for years to come.

Ultimately, launching on consoles will establish a larger playerbase for the title, as well as the financial resources to enable us to continue scaling the team to support the ongoing development. We’ve said elsewhere that we don’t think of Hell Let Loose as a title that would be finished and abandoned - but more as a continually supported and expanded title - with fixes, optimisation, new fronts, new Commander abilities, new vehicles, new weapons and much more.

A Separate Team

As a studio, we’re very keen to be able to continue to focus on polishing the PC title and working through community feedback. Although Black Matter has grown over the course of development, we’re still aware that Hell Let Loose on PC alone is a mammoth game that demands full-time attention.

Due to this, we’re working very closely with our friends at Flix Interactive - a fantastic development studio who work closely with Rare on multiple aspects of Sea of Thieves, including console development. They have a dedicated team working full time on the console conversion of Hell Let Loose in conjunction with us here at Black Matter.

For those of you who are console players and interested in jumping into a realistic game on next generation platforms, please be assured that we won’t be altering the Hell Let Loose recipe of time-to-kill, minimal HUD and all the other aspects that define the game. We’ll talk through some of the key additions or changes to the Hell Let Loose console experience below.

Crossplay

We want to assure you that the PC player base will remain separate from the console title, but that there will be crossplay for both Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X and S so that both platforms benefit from the larger playerbase.

Benefits to the PC

Many may be concerned that launching on consoles may negatively impact the PC title. We want to assure you that we’ve taken great care to make sure that the positive additions for the console title will be incorporated into the PC title, including:

• Gamepad Support and Accessibility
    We’ve had requests for gamepad support from players who struggle to use a mouse and keyboard due to preference or disabilities. As such, we’re beginning to implement some of this functionality to better enable these players to enjoy the game. Simultaneously, we’re not removing or degrading any functionality that mouse and keyboard players currently enjoy.

• Optimisation Benchmarking
    A huge benefit in taking a title to console is the need to conform the game to specific framerates on both consoles - effectively benchmarking the title. As a result, large scale rolling optimisations done for consoles are being implemented into the PC version of the game. These optimisations are specifically graphical and will not degrade the look of the game, or the gameplay itself.
When?

The exact date is going to be announced in the coming months, but it will follow our release from Early Access as we feel it’s important to attain a base level of quality and optimisation across the entire title, as well as polishing and fixing outstanding bugs and issues - both technically and in the metagame. As we’ve said before though, our release from Early Access will signify another step on the ongoing development journey of Hell Let Loose. We’re excited to continue working with the community to expand and refine the experience.

An Expanding Community

We’re very fortunate to have such a vibrant and active community supporting Hell Let Loose. As players from other platforms start to join the community, we’d love for you to help us make them welcome. At the same time, we’re fleshing out in-game education to better enable new players to join the experience in the most useful way possible.

RIP.

Dexter

Arcane
There's a Free Weekend going on, so the game is Free to Download/Play until the 29th if anyone wants to try it:

I played around 8 hours with buddies last time and I really liked it. If they continue improving on it, this could become the "Battlefield V" that DICE either doesn't want or doesn't know how to deliver anymore with potentially even more intricate mechanics. Might even buy it this time around.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Glad you like it. I have a love/hate relationship with the game. It mostly comes down to how the devs (at least how I see it) constantly fucks up the meta. Like now they introduced garrisons (spawns) to be buildable in enemy territory again, and it has become a rush to get those out as quick as possible. It becomes a guerilla war instead of an actual WW2 battle. Same with truck-rush in the beginning. Instead of going to the front with your squad, the commander or a squad leader just rush away with the truck leaving everyone stranded just to get a garrison up fast. And you have to do it, because if the enemy does it and your team don't, well good luck. You will be fighting from a bad position from the get go. Think I said it in this thread before, or maybe not, but more simulator stuff, not less please! This push towards fast matches and arcadey class system worries me. Like now it seems everyone has an automatic. Reach level 3 in any class and usually there is an automatic waiting there for you.

Dexter

Arcane
I have a love/hate relationship with the game. It mostly comes down to how the devs (at least how I see it) constantly fucks up the meta.
I wouldn't know anything about the Meta or any long-term changes they've made. I played it for ~8 hours back in July and it seemed very promising, but a bit put off by its "Early Access" nature. Some of the people I played it with got the game and got some further people into it and they're playing with 4-5 man Squads at times so I don't particularly want to miss out. I intend to play it again with some other people during the Weekend and might buy it.

Also it was pretty and really pleasant to look at, and it's not like there's many titles fighting for that Battlefield feel after DICE decided to shit the bed:
20200719041518_1b5kil.jpg

20200719043033_1z9k8s.jpg

20200719043112_1adj4s.jpg

20200719043747_1nyk8r.jpg

20200719044447_1b2jui.jpg

20200719052908_1gmj9a.jpg

20200719054852_1olj0t.jpg

20200719054908_10zkmy.jpg

20200719054958_1uwjtr.jpg

20200720033535_13gjqe.jpg

20200720034539_1h2jbn.jpg

20200720034835_10sj1r.jpg

20200720051010_1kqjfg.jpg

20200720051931_15gjos.jpg

20200720054901_1ejj52.jpg

20200720063353_1y2kv3.jpg

20200720063403_1fvk6n.jpg

20200720063449_1nqjgw.jpg

20200720063906_1vmjr1.jpg

20200720063925_1n9j6g.jpg

20200720064001_11kkvf.jpg

20200720064255_17yjbb.jpg

20200720065935_1d6j7z.jpg

20200720072149_1y6jc6.jpg

20200720081521_1s7kss.jpg

20200720081821_1xfkyc.jpg

The only thing I could say about garrisons is that on one map I ran way out of the way through the woods and planted one at the right end of the map in a good position and managed to get enough reinforcements to successfully flank the enemy behind their backs, and I remember on another map the fighting essentially came to a halt around a No Man's Land and whatever we tried to do to flank or get ahead it didn't really work and spawns in enemy land might have really helped there, same for the enemy though.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom