Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

snip

Alex

Arcane
I think the big flaw with his design, and with tabletop RPGs nowadays in general, is character attachment. More often than not, in my experience players come into a campaign with the idea and intent of carrying their special little snowflake all the way through. And they expect you as the GM to facilitate this. The problem with this is that, on some base level, it totally guts stakes and danger.

Let's say you buy into Invisible Sun, get a group together, bullshit some encounters together. And your players spend all this time coming up with their wacky powerful dream characters. And the first session in, someone does something stupid and gets wrecked by a phase beast. Or tries to jump across a chasm of fire and fails. Whatever. That player is going to feel cheated out of all the time he spent on crafting his four-armed smokestack-for-a-head sorcerer or whoever. He won't be motivated to go through all that hard work again, and really I don't think he should have to.

In my experience, modern players turn their characters into creative fetishes. And modern systems are designed to facilitate this. Anyone who's played AD&D will know this is NOT how campaigns back then were run. Players don't know it -- and more often than not I think they'll perish the thought -- but this is why it can be so hard to keep gaming groups these days going. Because secretly, nobody but the GM REALLY wants to be there. Even if they don't know it themselves.

I could have sworn Monte was involved in Planescape.

I agree with you completely. Though I do think there is a place for games that put this kind of thing at the center of the question. For instance, it can be a lot of fun to take a super hero system like Mutants & Masterminds (or Hero, if you can find someone to play it with) and make a character with super customized traits. Even then, however, the game doesn't need to be linear. Sure, you aren't risking your life at every turn like with D&D, but you should be risking something. Even better if the game isn't built like a series of loosely connected stories that you have to go through, but rather a situation that develops as things go on.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I could have sworn Monte was involved in Planescape.
Monte Cook wrote A Guide to the Astral Plane, The Planewalker's Handbook (although this seems to largely be a reiteration of material found in the original boxed set), Faction War (with Ray Vallese), and The Inner Planes (with William Connors), the latter two published in 1998 after the demise of TSR.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
46ee065ad31ad60a13d2c7148eebce86_original.jpg
The jRPG vibe is strong with this one.

CREiNklUYAEmF-m.png

I'll find that font in a few more minutes of looking, too!

[edit:
breath-of-fire-3.png

I know there's a clsoer one, though.]

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
I probably spent about 15 minutes looking at the pitch and reading through the updates to try and suss out what the hell they're going for with that new Kickstarter. I think I failed my Sanity roll.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
The average backer blew $313 on this. There are people who believe Monte Cooke's hype so thoroughly that they're willing to drop that much on a box of gibberish.

...but only 1,313 people, the fanboys who are gonna buy anything Cooke puts out without stopping to think about it. No one's going to see this in a store and say "this looks like something I want to spend $200 on." Hell, most games are played online, and it's not going to happen with all the bits of physical bullshit this game requires.

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I probably spent about 15 minutes looking at the pitch and reading through the updates to try and suss out what the hell they're going for with that new Kickstarter. I think I failed my Sanity roll.

I did the same and left wondering, what's it all about? I have no idea.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Yawn, CRPGs been there done that back in the day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majestic_(video_game)

Monte is a fraud hack, Numenera and the 'Cypher' System suck ass. Truly games made for the hipster generation by a hipster who thinks he is hip but is actually an ass. No wonder he got kicked out of D&D 5e design team, he could not hack it with real game designers.

I agree with this except that 5E is also designed by fraud hacks who kicked out Cook because the only thing hack designers hate more than good rules or fun is other hacks trying to hack up their hack shit with their own hackery. It's telling that InExile had to gut Numenera's combat system to make and actual game out of it.

The indie tabletop model is essentially slash-and-burn; Hype -> Consume -> Abandon. Indie devs keep making simplistic, low-content games which the media reliably hypes up as Revolutionary and New and Amazing and then no one actually plays the damn games and then it's on to the next one.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Coming this summer: https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/40766/invisible-sun-numenera-releases

This summer, Monte Cook Games will release books for its Invisible Sun and Numenera role playing games.

The high concept role playing game Invisible Sun will be releasing this summer, as backers of the Kickstarter are finally beginning to receive their rewards, including the high anticipated Black Cube (see “Monte Cook Will Allocate 'Invisible Sun RPG' Trade Release”). Invisible Sun Book M is a 200-page hardcover sourcebook on magic, including new spells, artifacts, ephemera and a deck of 100 new cards. MSRP is $49.00. Release is currently planned for August.

Monte Games also Kickstarter a new edition of Numenera last fall (see “'Numenera 2' Horizons Expand”) which will release this year. The Numenera: Player’s Guide is a softcover 64-page introductory guide that teaches players how to create characters with a step by step process. It also includes an overview of the Ninth World setting, includes basic rules for gameplay, and includes options that allow players to craft their characters in unique ways. MSRP is $19.99.

:flamesaw::timetoburn::avatard:

Silva

Arcane
The indie tabletop model is essentially slash-and-burn; Hype -> Consume -> Abandon. Indie devs keep making simplistic, low-content games which the media reliably hypes up as Revolutionary and New and Amazing and then no one actually plays the damn games and then it's on to the next one.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Let me introduce you to Fate, Apocalypse World and Cortex+.

Silva

Arcane
I'll be playing Numenera this weekend. What should I be expecting from it?
A setting that sells itself as sci-fantasy when it's really just fantasy in a weird paintjob, and a bland as fuck system based on Monty fetish for one-shot magic scrolls heh cyphers. In other words, it's shit. Here's my unsell pitch for it:

Numenera is a billion years in the future.

Amazing! How do we play?

Pick a fighter, a wizard or a rogue.

images

rdlol.gif

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom