Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hero System

Stella Brando

Arcane
Anyone playing this wonderfully free form, yet incredibly complicated game?

Alex

Arcane
Free form? I don't really understand the question, I thought free form is when you play without rules?

Anyway, I have the core books, but never had the opportunity to play it. People seem to be much more open to playing Mutants and Masterminds, which actually looks a lot like the Hero system with a lot of its complexity taken out. The second edition was a D20 systemm but the third edition did away with that.

I think the hero system would be a fun system to try to break, that is, coming up with the most overpowered character you can. Although it might be more of a headache than it is needed since there are so many rules to keep in mind. Earlier editions, especially back when it was called Champions, are less rules heavy, I believe.

Stella Brando

Arcane
It's free form compared to say, D&D. You look at lists of abilities and choose what you want, instead of choosing a class.

Champions still exists, it's like Hero's Faerun.

Alex

Arcane
Sounds like easy to come up with overpowered combo.

Sure, but can you come up with the most overpowered combo? Also, some abilities will depend a lot in how much your GM will let you get away with, like time travel or such.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom