Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption - adventure-RPG from the creators of Quest for Glory

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ok i played for around a week time ingame and must say that i am not very impress. The whole game is a loop of doing the same thing every day,it have like 10-15 similar location and you just visit them at the same time. Also for a rogue game there is not thieving at all. You get the retarded and pointless dialogue option to steal every second item you come across,but you never do because their are eater some huge stone statue or your protagonist fells ashamed or don't feel need for it. I sneak around open doors to rooms,then i am met with harder locks on chest,i say "sure game I will train more",a few days later i manage to open the chests and there is nothing to steal in them. Whole week and my guy couldn't steal anything. I train all kind of pointless skills that i haven't used yet. Also all the characters are annoying and want to stab them in the eye,don't know who would want to fuck any of the women in the game. There is a gypsy,a gossiping secretary,retarded milf "paladin",neggress cock and a strong independent woman that constantly spout feminist shit. Only characters i find interesting are asshole librarian,blackmarket faggot and a rat trader. Must say that Quest for Infamy is a lot better game than this is. The whole game feels like loop of the climbing tree and the knife throwing place in Quest for Glory 1. Another idiotic thing is the placement of that asshole that give you a negative points when he catches you at night,when you come down from the stairs or ender from the garden he always sees you,you have not time get stealthy. Oh well i will keep on playing in the hopes of becoming better.

Terk has a harder time seeing you when you become stealthier. There are ways to also avoid him when you finally find secret passages and are able to picklock doors for alternate means around him.

And when you get better at thieving, you are able to loot the infirmary, faculty lounge, Terk's office, your own classroom and so on. You won't have the skills to do so the first few days.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Ok i played for around a week time ingame and must say that i am not very impress. The whole game is a loop of doing the same thing every day,it have like 10-15 similar location and you just visit them at the same time. Also for a rogue game there is not thieving at all. You get the retarded and pointless dialogue option to steal every second item you come across,but you never do because their are eater some huge stone statue or your protagonist fells ashamed or don't feel need for it. I sneak around open doors to rooms,then i am met with harder locks on chest,i say "sure game I will train more",a few days later i manage to open the chests and there is nothing to steal in them. Whole week and my guy couldn't steal anything. I train all kind of pointless skills that i haven't used yet. Also all the characters are annoying and want to stab them in the eye,don't know who would want to fuck any of the women in the game. There is a gypsy,a gossiping secretary,retarded milf "paladin",neggress cock and a strong independent woman that constantly spout feminist shit. Only characters i find interesting are asshole librarian,blackmarket faggot and a rat trader. Must say that Quest for Infamy is a lot better game than this is. The whole game feels like loop of the climbing tree and the knife throwing place in Quest for Glory 1. Another idiotic thing is the placement of that asshole that give you a negative points when he catches you at night,when you come down from the stairs or ender from the garden he always sees you,you have not time get stealthy. Oh well i will keep on playing in the hopes of becoming better.

Terk has a harder time seeing you when you become stealthier. There are ways to also avoid him when you finally find secret passages and are able to picklock doors for alternate means around him.

And when you get better at thieving, you are able to loot the infirmary, faculty lounge, Terk's office, your own classroom and so on. You won't have the skills to do so the first few days.
i don't have the skill to do so on day 15

V_K

Arcane
This is actually I think the main problem with the game so far: it starts incredibly slow. I can see some hooks for things that'll become interesting in the future, but the first few game days it's just training/talking/killing drats without a lot of purpose.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fucking thieving bastard, don't even know what I'm waiting for.

EDIT: How do I advance time by standing still?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I know that you can sneak past the guy,my problem is that you get spawned just in front of him and cant begin sneaking. The classroom have no loot for now,i opened both locked places and they were empty. I assume that the other places have some trivial shit to steal. I find their demo/alpha to be very misleading,i thought that you will be able to go around town and rob houses like in any quest for X game. Robbing houses was the highlight of any quest game. People liked training because you get to accomplish something with that training. Is there a fucking place in the game where you need climbing?

V_K

Arcane
I know that you can sneak past the guy,my problem is that you get spawned just in front of him and cant begin sneaking.
In my experience, this only happens when you exit the Hall of Heroes or the left mezzanine stairs. Both spots have workarounds, although the former takes a little exploration to find.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I know that you can sneak past the guy,my problem is that you get spawned just in front of him and cant begin sneaking.
In my experience, this only happens when you exit the Hall of Heroes or the left mezzanine stairs. Both spots have workarounds, although the former takes a little exploration to find.
I know this,still bad level design,they could have spawned the guy between the right stairs and the kitchen.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Have you tried crossing the area transition already sneaking? If you do that you can spawn in front of him and he usually won't see you so you can move around him. You can also listen at the door to hear if he's right there.

I'm still early on, but that's been my experience so far - I've only been caught by him when moving through doors without sneaking already. And I think once where I was sneaking but heard Terk outside the door and went through anyway.

Hevnknekt

Educated
Is the timer as oppressive and Sawyeresque (anti-fun) as it sounds? Is there any game you might compare it to?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Is the timer as oppressive and Sawyeresque (anti-fun) as it sounds? Is there any game you might compare it to?
It is annoying,i decided to use cheatengine on the first day to block the minutes. That way you can explore and talk with people without wasting time. Closest thing i can think about it is Stardew valley,but more faster. You get around 8-10 hours per day to do shit,first three are about training,then an hour of eating and free time after that ,which is more training. It is interesting how your protagonist sleeps between 12 and 14 hours and could be tired.

V_K

Arcane
I know this,still bad level design,they could have spawned the guy between the right stairs and the kitchen.
He's so easy to avoid once you start sneaking that if he spawned anywhere else the whole thing might as well have been dropped.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
it seems that at about 45 tool skill you can loot the infirmery. i started a new game and managed to train to 47 at day 6. of course i didn't do shit other than train tools.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
day 11, broke into every room. there's really nothing to loot other than some crappy wine you can't even sell, because it's only used for gay romances and some healing potions.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
they also didn't put much thought into the characters. the fucking paladin will give me a health potion to drink every time i enter the infirmery injured. she also says one could ask for stuff instead of stealing, but i can't ask her to give me potions to carry with me and if i steal them from her she catches me (idiotic as that is since i'm supposed to be stealthy) and gives me 20 demerits.
another game with the illusion of dialogue and interaction options instead of real thought through dialogue and interaction options.
exploration and itemization and the tedious clicking on everything you could interact with is just as lazily made. there's a fine dagger you can buy and there's the same fucking fine dagger you can find if you happen to click on the right barrels out of 1000 wrong ones.
defense seems useless and thus all items that increase it since the difference in power between enemies is done in huge increments meaning that whatever defense actually does, it doesn't change shit when you move from fighting rats to fighting the green insects.
rats deal about 2-3 dmg / bite
insects from 6-9 / bite.
that's a fucking x3 more dmg from first enemy to second enemy.
and come to think of it, i don't remember the rats doing any less than 2-3 dmg / bite, so whether you're armored or not doesn't matter at all for dmg and is probably something like a few % more avoidance, which you basically cannot notice in any given fight because of the nature of rng.
i also haven't seen many puzzles yet, just stupid grinding in a slow fucking grindy adventure/rpg hybrid that does neither well.

peace out

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I was surprised to see that this was out.

Bought it full-price on GOG because QfG is easily the best Sierra On-Line series ever made, and I doubt the Coles will deliver a turkey. Sadly it doesn't seem that I'll have time for this quite yet, but at least I have something to look forward to. :)

Also, I LOVE me some good puns.

V_K

Arcane
I must say one of the really annoying consequences of the game relying on timed events is that you can't do certain things until the script decides it's time to do so. It's even worse here than in QfG2 because QfG2 started with a fairly open world and got boring mid-game, when you've exhausted all the side content and have to just wait for timed events. This game on the other hand opens up along the plot, so there's really nothing to do other than train while plot unfolds without your input.
It's kinda funny if you think of it - grinding has always been QfG's sore spot, where you had to perform senseless actions just to get your skills up for the relevant checks. So rather than solve this problem, the Coles decided to legitimize it by setting the game in school and make it primary gameplay.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
must say one of the really annoying consequences of the game relying on timed events is that you can't do certain things until the script decides it's time to do so
Yeah, the theft thing was particularly annoying.
What's the best thing to do if you're strapped for cash though?

Hellion

Arcane
Washing dishes in the kitchen after dinner gives you 10 lyra per day, and in the evening you can go hunt rats in the cellar and collect a bounty on them. At the end of the 7th day all your classmates will gather at the rec room to play a poker-like game that can bring in loads of cash. I've reached day 8 so far and have more than 100 lyra to spare by doing the above (having already bought all pieces of the school uniform, as well), but don't know if things change after that day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom