Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic III 20th anniversary

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It all depends on the map. How much money vs resources do you have access to, for example?
On some maps rushing Capitol, even on Impossible, is a good strategy, especially if the neutrals are weak enough that can use your starting troops the first week or two. With tougher neutral stacks OTOH you will need to recruit more troops. And the smaller the map, the less time you generally have before the enemy arrives.
Also the presence of flaggable creature dwellings may influence what to build, since a flagged creature dwellings means more units in the castle if you build the same dwelling. And Heroes that generate 350 gold each turn will be a good invenstment.

Talking about SP.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Truly, an immortal game. HoMM 3 will still be played 50 years from now.

The best thing about HoMM 3 is the editor. The best user made maps are much better than the rather boring campaign and most of the standalone maps.

I'd argue that the best thing about the game is the Russian mod community, though the editor would come second. The HoMM 3 HD mod has become the definitive way to experience the game, and I wish someone would continue developing In The Wake of Gods -- wasted hundreds of hours of my teenage life on 3.58f when it was released.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Here's some of the stuff I learned over the years playing only on Impossible (in no particular order).

- While it can be argued without end which heroes are better overall, Might heroes do develop better than Magic heroes
- Every town has key units for clearing the surroundings early
- Its absolutely vital to raise your primary attributes!
- Hero chaining is vital. Essentially you use several heroes as infrastructure to move your army around and cover the largest surface possible
- Know your town's overall strengths and weaknesses (cheapest town - Stronghold, tankiest - Rampart, etc.)
- Immediately skim the map for wood, ore and your precious resource (Castle - gems, Fortress - sulfur, etc.)
- View Earth and View Air are underrated as fuck
- Capitols and lvl 7 dwellings are overrated and insanely expensive (sometimes you can let the AI capture the town and do it for you)
- Likewise it's common to skip certain dwellings (zombies, cavaliers, cyclopes, basilisks, etc.)
- Target creature banks, pandoras, utopias
- High pop means jack if you cant afford troops!
- High income means jack if you're underleveled w/ weak troops

- Don't rush City Hall, instead get your key units and start collecting exp, resources and raising primary attributes
- You need a spellbook early!
- Moving diagonally costs more. This is very important to understand (explained here)
- Until you get Town Portal, you need a second "main" hero to defend (which you will if you hero chain)
- Regarding treasure chests during early to mid game, usually gold is better (1000-500 = gold, 1500-1000 = gold, 2000-1500 = gold OR exp)
- Logistics outperforms Pathfinding everywhere except on Swamp terrain
- Certain external dwellings are a huge advantage on certain heroes(Dace, Josephine, etc.)
- Having a concept of which stacks to target with certain units is very important! (Hydras > tier 1-3s, Gorgons > tier 7, etc.)
- Accept losing troops early if your target is worth it
- Using bait stacks to strip retals and draw fire is crucial!
- You need to hit the banks as soon as possible! before Day 1 of second month!
- Certain spells can't be researched in certain towns, certain secondary skills can't be learned on certain hero classes!

EDIT: Also it's useful to read the Tribute to Strategists pdf.

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
EC932l2XoAAmsWg.jpg

Syl

Cipher
- Certain external dwellings are a huge advantage on certain heroes(Dace, Josephine, etc.)
I think this is news to me, or did I just forgot about it?
Can you give an example?

Endemic

Arcane
I think this is news to me, or did I just forgot about it?
Can you give an example?

I'll put it this way: 1000 skeletons with Galthran are much more dangerous than with any other Necro hero. External creature dwellings won't give you comparable numbers to necromancy of course, but they are a very nice multiplier on some heroes.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
entire neutral habitats are going extinct while all you care about are your fairy tales of 4000 gold a day

Silly Germans

Id wish we would get more games with graphics like Homm3, rather than any of this uninspired sorry efforts of 3D visuals used in the later games of the series.

Does someone know why Ubisoft switched from Nival to other Studios after HoMM5 ? Tribes of the East with Mods had at least decent gameplay but it seems that it went straight downhill from there.

Mikeal

Arcane
Id wish we would get more games with graphics like Homm3, rather than any of this uninspired sorry efforts of 3D visuals used in the later games of the series.

Does someone know why Ubisoft switched from Nival to other Studios after HoMM5 ? Tribes of the East with Mods had at least decent gameplay but it seems that it went straight downhill from there.

Because they are idiots.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik

EJ0gFTHXkAAX1dK.jpg:large

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
This idiotic mistake was made already with IV and to this day I have no idea what were they thinking. At least we have the succession wars mod to look forward to.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I bought the complete version on GOG and installed the HD mod last night. Went to bed at around 6 a.m. Got up at around 9, dreading work because I had a good time with the game and have long day ahead. I now get the hype, bros.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom