Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Heroine's Quest - D/L Link in OP - Available NOW (FREE)!

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
Is that Osama Bin Laden at 0:16?
Yes, yes it is.

I have no idea whether he was part of one of the MAGS themes which Radiant was working to!

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I finally played Heroine's Quest. I played a sorceress, scored 447. I enjoyed the game a lot and I was surprised that it was that long.

What I liked the most :
- The setting, of course
- An important part of the map is available from the beginning
- You always have something to do (generally a new spell was unlocked before I finished to try everything I wanted with the previous one), combats, loot and opening dialogs are parts of it.
- The ability to try different solutions, with different results (for example with the troll on the bridge)
- The mage duel
- The ring :salute:
- Many dialogs, Aurvandel is definitely a bro
- The mechanisms on their own, it's not like we got that kind of game every friday
The price is also a bro, of course.

I may play the game again with a rogue someday.

I think it's the only game that I have ever done three back-to-back-to-back playthroughs of (granted I only had access to a laptop from 2002 at the time), but each class gives a unique run, and the amount of hybridization possible is a lot of fun.
It's still my 2014 (or was it 13, now?) GOTY.

Quatlo

Arcane
Are there any plans for Heroine's Quest 2? It was seriously the GOTY of 2013 for me.

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
Not yet. Once we get Quest for Yrolg and Warthogs released, we will be looking at a deluxe version of A Tale of Two Kingdoms (voice pack, some graphical updates, and possible updates to dialog to flesh out the characters a bit more).

Then we want to complete Leylines (pretty much a programming job at this stage, as I finished most of the graphics earlier this year). After that, we'll be thinking about new projects :)

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
The game is actually complete. We're currently discussing options with a publisher who approached us, but if we don't come to a landing then we'll be going to Greenlight.

We've also nearly wrapped up Warthogs (a Harry Potter parody), which said publisher expressed interest in publishing first.

In the meantime, while waiting for that... we've been doing a fair bit of work on Leylines and it is looking a lot better than the original version. I'll post more about that later down the track :).

OndrejSc

Full Auto
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Why does the Crystal Shard page for Heroine's Quest no longer list Screen 7 among download locations? Has there been a falling out between Crystal Shard and Screen 7?
Also, why is the size of Screen 7's version of Heroine's Quest 551 MB, while all other versions are 397 MB?

Last edited:

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
Why does the Crystal Shard page for Heroine's Quest no longer list Screen 7 among download locations? Has there been a falling out between Crystal Shard and Screen 7?
Also, why is the size of Screen 7's version of Heroine's Quest 551 MB, while all other versions are 397 MB?

The website never listed a Screen 7 button for Heroine's Quest - when Screen 7 got Heroine's Quest onto Steam, we created a Steam button. There hasn't been any falling out at all (in fact, I have done some other work (audio splicing) for Screen 7 myself) :P.

I'm not sure why the Steam version is larger than other versions; it's possible that it includes the soundtrack within the download? The game files themselves are the same, we didn't create a version with special features specifically for Steam.

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
For any Linux users out here, we've released the Linux version of Heroine's Quest on Steam. The latest update also includes a Russian translation.

For non-Steam users, Radiant plans to update the other distribution sites over the weekend. And short of any last minute major bugs, we're planning to release the Crystal Shard adventure bundle this weekend as well :)

Quatlo

Arcane
For any Linux users out here, we've released the Linux version of Heroine's Quest on Steam. The latest update also includes a Russian translation.

For non-Steam users, Radiant plans to update the other distribution sites over the weekend. And short of any last minute major bugs, we're planning to release the Crystal Shard adventure bundle this weekend as well :)
Are there any plans for HQ2 or similair game?
I'm probably repeating myself but HQ was my GOTY of 2013, and we really didn't get any game long and complex enough to beat it yet, so ball is in the play, and everyone is waiting for even better game :D

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
Not at this stage. Our future plans include releasing Leylines (Radiant estimates that it's nearly done, but it depends on how many more bugs I find), then doing a deluxe version of A Tale of Two Kingdoms (improved art, added voices, possibly some improved script). And then there are other projects as well. I won't rule it out at all, because if Radiant does fancy doing another Heroine's Quest, I'm all on board for it. Though we'd probably need to get Corby back or another hand on board given I had a baby a couple of months ago, and will have less time to do game art when I go back to work next year :P.

I enjoyed A Tale of Two Kingdoms. I thought it was a great little hardcore adventure game (and, mechanically, a very natural evolution of early 90s Sierra adventures) but when you followed it up with Heroine's Quest I was blown away. The latter is a masterpiece. It is hands down the best Quest for Glory game that I have ever played, and it's one of the few games that's earned the distinction of having a permanent place on my hard drive (keeping such fine company as KoDP, Tie Fighter, X-COM, PoR>PoD, BG2, FO1, NOLF1, Deus Ex).

Because of that I'm of two minds about a potential HQ2.

On the one hand:
The story and setting of HQ are solid, complete, and self-contained.
One rarely gets multiple masterpieces from the same source. It happens, but it's rare.

On the other hand:
I would love to see the same level of attention to detail applied to a different mythology. East Asian, Amerindian or Anglo-Celtic (basically already addressed in aToTK) are the most obvious directions to go.
HQ was so goddamn good (the art, the music, the puzzle design!) that, like an addict, I don't know how to not want more.

So basically fuck you for not making the sequel that causes me to say "fuck you for not making the sequel that doesn't disappoint".

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
If we were to make a sequel to Heroine's Quest, it would definitely be using a different mythology. And hey, Radiant is a very clever designer so I'm sure he could design another game as good as HQ; I don't think he's only capable of the odd one-hit wonder :P. But yeah, at the moment we have other priorities, and time (and energy, and creative inspiration) is always a big factor. We'll certainly make announcements if we did commit to another HQ :)

ushas

Savant

Wha, I didn't know you were up to that. So I've went to itch.co and indeed, there is Heroine and several other games of your's with a linux build. Thanks, you have made my evening!

I've read that Stasis guys have managed to persuade gog to release their free game Cayne. I know next to nothing about that, but perhaps you can try to contact gog again regarding HQ? Or perhaps they would let you to have it there and offer for free to owners of your games, in case you plan to sell there.

ushas

Savant
I would love to see the same level of attention to detail applied to a different mythology. East Asian, Amerindian or Anglo-Celtic (basically already addressed in aToTK) are the most obvious directions to go.

That would be great.

If we were to make a sequel to Heroine's Quest, it would definitely be using a different mythology.
I know you didn't promised anything for the future. So just hypothetically, if you feel ok to talk about it, do you have already specific mythology which you would like to do on mind? or are you [also] open to us discussing suggestions here?

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
I've read that Stasis guys have managed to persuade gog to release their free game Cayne. I know next to nothing about that, but perhaps you can try to contact gog again regarding HQ? Or perhaps they would let you to have it there and offer for free to owners of your games, in case you plan to sell there.
We did try contacting GOG again earlier this year; it was a firm no. I might hazard a guess that Cayne was released for free on GOG because Stasis is sold there. Whereas we haven't actually sold any games through GOG yet. We'll see if they are interested in our next couple of games, hopefully they will be.

I know you didn't promised anything for the future. So just hypothetically, if you feel ok to talk about it, do you have already specific mythology which you would like to do on mind? or are you [also] open to us discussing suggestions here?
Personally, I'd like to see some Chinese mythology covered as you don't really see many games touching on that. Radiant said he wouldn't mind that theme except he isn't well versed in that mythology, so doing a Chinese theme would mean a lot of research (but it's probably not impossible). In passing conversation with him, Radiant also mentioned that Greek mythology might be an option too. Either one would work for me, from an art point of view ;) . And yes, we're always happy to hear what others would suggest.

V_K

Arcane
Chinese would be great! Anything Eastern would be great to be honest - Indian, Japanese, Thai etc - they're all greatly underrepresented in RPGs.
Another interesting option would be some native American stuff.
I would advise against Greek though, I think it's too tired to make it interesting, and besides QfG5 already used it.

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
I think whatever mythology or culture you focus on, unless it's something that you know well, you've gotta put in the effort to be authentic and not just some disneyfied version.
Yep, agree. That's probably why Radiant had mentioned Greek theme to me, as we'd be more familiar with that mythology.

Another reason (in addition to my reason in my previous post) as to why I'd personally like to see a Chinese theme is because I am Chinese myself (albeit, westernized, since I live in Australia). But I do have some appreciation for the culture, and have read some Chinese folklore. Not enough to make a game out of, mind you, so I might start reading some more myths for fun and then see if I can convince Radiant to make a Chinese themed sometime down the track. I can dream, anyway ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom