Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hiking sims, but unironically

Ranarama

Learned
Miasmata sounds ideal for you. It's hiking, unique walking mechanics (i.e. you walk downhill you need to hold backwards to slow your descent), has orienteering based on triangulation with landmarks.

You're on an island, have the plague and need to discover the cure.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The Faery Tale Adventure (1986) by David Joiner was the hiking simulator of the future, though sadly underappreciated in its own time:

8utYSx5.jpg
kjzBMpr.jpg

12nLAHj.jpg
GcJPCQp.jpg

I second the mention of Outward, released earlier this year, which features multiple logistical constraints, 3D graphics, and 4 distinct zones to hike through:

90bKNJx.jpg

3ln7rdV.jpg

mgK1y4b.jpg

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Eidolon (2014)
I think if you look at indie games you will find a lot of examples were you just have to hike and little else.

Last edited:

Mychkine

Educated
Robinson Requiem (1994) had interesting exploration and survival elements in it, especially on the health and hunger departments. Sadly, it has aged pretty badly, like lots of early 3D titles.

Otherwise, best exploration in a video game I played those last years was in the already mentionned Breath of the Wild, where just getting on top of the next mountain range can be and objective in itself.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
How about 7 Days to Die? These survival building games aren't really my thing, but I remember hiking across half the map looking for a good place to build my pathetic wooden fort and having quite a good time. It's got the food/water thing as well as stuff to see and scavenge if that's your bag.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
DayZ and Kingdome Come Deliverance for beautifully crafted czech forests and countryside.

Beastro

Arcane
IMind you, hiking is not exploration, that is you do not discover hidden secrets and snippets of the world gone by, but you simply cross the terrain.

You lost me there.

I'd think for anyone the whole enjoyment of the hiking simulator factor in a game is what you emergently encounter (especially fight) and discover.

May I ask a question: Have you ever hiked, IRL? Cus a big thing about it is exploration. Going your own way, even if differently along the same trails and trying to discover new stuff you didn't notice before. Heck, last month I went to some local falls I'd never heard of until this year and found the trip too easy, so decided to follow the river to see if it emptied into a lake I'd never been to. It did and I realized the ravine I'd gone through following the river had been the exact same one I'd noticed while at a mall looking out at our nearby mountain it flows down.

Even a damn walk around town is exploration, even if you walk the same damn route, you'll notice things have changed here and there.

I'm logistically challenged (ie. can't walk too far on my own)
Which is why I play games right

Unless you've got some major problem you can't change like fucked up knees or some disease that messes with you, like a friend of mine has Crohn's like symptoms, wants to walk but going more than 100 feet at a time results in him shitty blood for a week, then the only thing keeping you from walking it you're not used to it and that will change.

I ran into that being sick myself and unable to walk in my teens, but in my 20s I got into it, then lost access to a car and began carrying groceries home, walking from place to place sitting to rest, until I finally was able to make the distance in one go. After that I got into the habit of wandering around town finding new roads and alleys I'd never gone down to explore inbetween trail hikes.

It takes time, and my health still isn't that great, but with enough food and water I've reached that stage where I can walk for as long as I want, even if I'll have trouble and pay for it tomorrow.

Start, see what you can do. If it's weight fucking with you, lightening the load to pull it off is a good goal to use to lose it for. My brothers friends wife ran into that walking with them, and even losing like 20 pounds made the difference on her knees.

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
No idea if it fits your criteria but 'The Forest'. If you completely ignore the tree house building BS it has great atmosphere and tension while exploring. And also a fuck off YUGE cavern complex that was incredibly fun to map out.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
The Long Dark sounds like what your looking for. It has some combat in the form of fighting off wolves and hunting shit for food, but it's mostly about getting from A to B while managing your resources so you don't die a horrible death.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom