Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Historical settings: Medieval vs everything else

mondblut

Arcane
Swamps and wilderness of Batls? Kievan Ruthenia? North Africa? Anatolia? Armenia? Steppes of Khazaria? Poland? Hungary?

He said "Europe". :smug:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What about a semi-historical "Phoenician/Greek/Roman ship gets lost on the high seas and gets stranded on the Mexican coast, meets native American civs".
sounds awesome
Sounds like the proposed sequel to Age of Decadence. :M

Aemar

Arcane
If you go for it and need someone to help you with historical research, ring me up. I have a full time job and can't devote too much to side projects but I can provide you with proper sources and give you feedback on historical accuracy, that kind of stuff.
:salute:
Thanks a lot for your offer, I'll definitely keep this in mind. My historical research skills are quite good, but I won't refuse extra help.

Honestly, while a true Historical RPG would be really cool, I was saying that a fantasy RPG that incorporated elements of the actual political climate of i.e. the 10th century AD would be really interesting, with a really morally gray world filled with choices that are neither good or bad.
What I have in mind is something that takes place in a morally gray world, akin to real life, where the player's choices and actions are driven mainly by self-interest. No world-saving, knights in shiny armour or anything like that.

One of the most interesting things about medieval times was the feudal relations, and complex conflicting loyalties that could come from them(you are a vassal of king A for one fief and king B for another. How do you handle a war between them without looking like a traitor?). It is much more interesting than choosing between the good and the evil option to me. But if you don't plan to make it a core component of the game, another period might be better.
The whole concept revolves around these very same aspects that you mention; humbleness aside, I'm fairly confident that I've been able to put together a system that can work quite efficiently when it comes to transforming these ideas into gameplay.

Tbh, if you want historical rpgs instead of fantasy one, we should ask for more people reading historical books instead of LotR. We also need someone making a historical rpg(that doesn't suck) to show people that one can sell this kind of game. No one wants to develop a long game if there is 0 proof it's going to sell, that is the true.
I remember how Sawyer said he took inspiration from historical events, yet he never had the opportunity of making a historical rpg, sadly. :dealwithit:
Kingdom Come: Deliverance has proven there could be some sort of niche for this particular kind of games. I know, you'll probably reply that Vavra's project was backed by a ton of money, and I won't contradict you. But there is a chance people might want to try something different, something that is closer to historical reality, instead of what's usually on the market.

What do you mean by Medieval Europe? You mean Early, High or Late Middle Ages? Which part of Medieval Europe? Generic XIII-XV century England and France? Swamps and wilderness of Batls? Kievan Ruthenia? North Africa? Anatolia? Armenia? Steppes of Khazaria? Spain during reconquista? Mighty Holy Roman Empire? City states of Italy? Poland? Hungary? There are endless posibilities in Medieval Europe, however few can see outside XIII-XV century England and France.
If you mean what particular Medieval setting did I have in mind, I must say that it was the very late Middle Ages in Northern Italy. After a careful thought I've finally opted for Early Renaissance, same place.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
serveimage

My gristle is throbbing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom