Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hit SPACE to approve this forum

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
2abe58a07b.gif

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
What's the point of separating them and leaving all the threads in the wrong subforums?

You know that the Codex only collects your data for the Israeli military do you? Something like Cambridge Analytica, only for RPG gamers.

As to "what's the point?", I guess they decided they only need the rpg section and ordered officer Infinitron to piss off the rest.

Burning Bridges

There are actually games, it just seems no one wants to play them and this forum is a joke.

Burning Bridges

DraQ what are you playing by the way? Hellion was great fun but the last update wiped my station form the server.

Nirvash

Liturgist
And some wonder why star citizen keep getting millions...

The nerd thirst (for legit budget space game) is real.

When we will really get one?

DraQ

Arcane
DraQ what are you playing by the way? Hellion was great fun but the last update wiped my station form the server.
Lately? I've been sucked into what's probably the spergiest space game to date:
https://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/children-of-a-dead-earth.111131/page-3
Not often do you have gamers on an official forum discussing bi-elliptic transfers, orbit phasing, retrograde intercepts, material refractive indices, heat capacities and elastic moduli, arc lamp spectra for pumping lasers when using various gases, optimal NTR propellants and practical enrichment levels, making NEFPs or merits of plating everyfuckingthing with CVD diamond.

I have even put up some of my own designs for grabs on steam whoreshop - albeit so far stock modules only (mainly for portability reasons).

You can build your own stuff down to things like exact armour layering or material, thickness and number of coils in your coilgun's solenoid - along with engineering issues to overcome (mainly various forms of "stuff will tear itself apart on attempted use") and test it in actual combat, usually preceded by hefty amounts of fiddling with orbital mechanics (and none of that kiddie scaled down masses and distances or patched conics stuff from KSP - 1:1, full scale orbital physics with numerical n-body simulation).

Know any other game where you can shred shit in a head-on retrograde intercept at around 30km/s relative velocity in extremely low, out of plane orbit around Neptune, after bi-elliptic transfer with plane-shift at apopapsis beyond Triton (to conserve very limited delta-v - the technology is limited to stuff that has at least been prototyped IRL so things like orbital manoeuvring can be painful)?

Or where you need to wipe out two enemy fleets in orbit around Triton (which is a retrograde moon), while starting from Nereid (which is in distant and highly eccentric orbit) and having to do it in under 3 months?

Sure, it's not perfect - there are limits to simulation, the campaign could use more and better missions, the AI could be better and I'm somewhat uncomfortable playing as faction of space Andhairas - but I haven't seen anything like this or even close.

Plus, even though it clearly uses developer graphics, with very simple parametrized assets. the game can be quite beautiful and does it's best portraying things how they would actually look like based on physics.

Burning Bridges

Funnily there are many "Why I finally gave up on Star Citizen" videos on youtube. It's toally hilarious, people who paid 8K for ships in advance, it's more like psychotherapy.

Funny thing is that Hellion is basically already everything that Star Citzen will ever be, only with a fraction of the budget and lots of quality issues of course. But it only costs 22$ and you can play it right away. They will even release a singleplayer mode next month.

Burning Bridges

DraQ I actually wanted to try that Children of a Dead Earth for a long time!!

It sounds like Automation Car company in space (the game in my sig). I already spent 600 hours in that game and keep my progress in Excel sheets since 2013. If the CoadE is what I think it is I could probably sink 500 hours in that too, I think I understand the attraction. Is there a process where you can optimize your spacecraft and it would take years to fully understand it? Like you were a real aerospace engineer but as a game? Then I am eventually gonna fall for that too.

Hellion is really good, can really recommend that, although it is content limited I have easily played 150 hours before I felt it was enough (and I could probably play 150 more if I had a partner and went to the other planets).

There is also another game called Rogue System that also seems worth learning. It's basically a flight sim in the future and in space. It is sometimes called "DCS in space"

I also play DCS of course. though not a space sim, I can at least fly at the edge of space and over Nevada, which was the test range during the space range. I have mo problem to roleplay Yuri Gagarin in a Mig 15 or Alan Shepard in a Sabre, or replay scenes from Operation Capricorn.

DraQ

Arcane
DraQ I actually wanted to try that Children of a Dead Earth for a long time!!

It sounds like Automation Car company in space (the game in my sig). I already spent 600 hours in that game and keep my progress in Excel sheets since 2013. If the CoadE is what I think it is I could probably sink 500 hours in that too, I think I understand the attraction. Is there a process where you can optimize your spacecraft and it would take years to fully understand it? Like you were a real aerospace engineer but as a game? Then I am eventually gonna fall for that too.
Ok, here's what CoADE allows:
  • First, you have stock designs. They are pretty shit, TBH, but they are all you can use in early missions where you basically learn all the basic concepts - although the learning curve can be steep.
  • Then you get ability to design your own ships using stock components and use them in later missions (all but one, of course all also give you an option to use stock designs and have default stock fleet that also limits mass and cost budget for this mission) - stock components are somewhat limiting, but you can lay out your ship as you please with some minor limitations (you are limited to a single hull and either a circle or one of a handful regular polygons as cross section and can't have multiple radiator rings overlapping in such way that they interreflect - you can still have partial armour (on per layer basis), external drop tanks, and things like weapons, engines and internal components arranged as you please, and their performance will depend on that - engines actually apply forces, mass distribution changes as tanks empty, crew can easily die if they are placed away from centre of gravity and ship gets spun up, components that need to go through armour create holes that enemy fire can pass through, etc. There is unspoken assumption that a rocketship is going to be radially symmetrical, but it's easy enough to violate it and do as you please - even some stock designs do that and you can see my whoreshop for other examples - I don't do radial.
  • Shortly afterwards you also get to design your own components based on RL physics and engineering modelled to the best of author's knowledge with numerical simulations - reactors, weapons, custom missiles, drones and payloads (including things like drones launching drones launching missiles - there are no limitations here - everything can potentially be a munition for launcher or gun - drones, missiles and payloads are technically ships, but you need custom launchers of some sort to use custom ones, even if they only use stock modules), engines, crew cans, ammo cans, propellant tanks, radiators, even control modules with custom guidance laws - and use them just as you would stock ones when building ships.
  • You can replay campaign missions as many times as you want with any fleets you want (provided they allow customization and your fleet fits budgets), you can also set up sandbox scenarios, including AI vs AI.
  • Lastly, you can unlock black box modules that allow you to try and copy characteristics of any weapon or drive described in fiction and see how it would actually perform.
  • You can unlock design earlier from menu, but I think it's more rewarding to earn it and it gives you better grasp of the underlying concepts.
  • Ship damager is quite meticulously modelled - individual components can be destroyed, some like tankage will vent when damaged and push or spin the affected ship, armour is also very granular with localized damage and penetration, a lot of physical modelling to account for different failure modes (including spalling) - with enough localized damage you can even split ships into pieces.
  • Most of the screens and videos around are from early versions - currently game looks quite a bit better with things like more module placement options, option to make polygonal or form-fitting armour, and more realistic lighting, so even the stock designs no longer look like flying thrash cans all alike.
There is also another game called Rogue System that also seems worth learning. It's basically a flight sim in the future and in space. It is sometimes called "DCS in space"
Keeping an eye on that.

Burning Bridges

i.e. could you recapitulate your designs and show that they have improved greatly over the years, to when you started the game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom