Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN 2 - the new NON-episodic Hitman game

Alphons

Cipher
Gold edition gives you a couple worthless costumes and items but the real appeal is the new maps.
What are these "reboots" I've read about? Old missions on the new game or something? And if so, are they included in Gold edition?

Gold Edition doesn't have Legacy Pack- it must be bought separately.

There're 2 versions of Legacy Pack- GOTY and normal. GOTY has everything normal has + mini- campaign (all right, but maps are reskins, not brand new) + some extra items.

Silva

Arcane
I've read a Legacy pack FAQ explaining if you got the Hitman 1 GOTY (my case) you can unlock the Gold Legacy pack for free. The correct way to do it, according to this FAQ, is installing Hitman 1 first and then installing Hitman 2 and enabling the Legacy pack through an option inside it.

I'll try this.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
And episodic is bullshit.

Usually I'd agree but for this format I actually think it works pretty well. Every map is kind of a game in itself, and waiting a couple months for the next one encourages you to really finish the last one, and builds anticipation. It's not like the Telltale model where the story would obviously be better if done all at once, with interconnected locations. Also it's not like you'd get a complete game any sooner, so you can just wait for them to all be out. Fans of the series seem divided right down the middle on which is better though, so you're far from alone.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
It doesn't suck so bad, I usually wait a year for a decent sale anyhow.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Finally bought this, and the Hitman 1 legacy pack, and all the dlc and whatnot. Really enjoyed playing through it and now I'm going back doing all the challenges and story missions etc. But goddamn trying to do a halfway decent playthrough on Bangkok on master difficulty is driving me insane. The camera placement on this level is fucked.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Finally bought this, and the Hitman 1 legacy pack, and all the dlc and whatnot. Really enjoyed playing through it and now I'm going back doing all the challenges and story missions etc. But goddamn trying to do a halfway decent playthrough on Bangkok on master difficulty is driving me insane. The camera placement on this level is fucked.

The lawyer is insanely easy, but yeah getting up to Cross on master is a pain.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
But goddamn trying to do a halfway decent playthrough on Bangkok on master difficulty is driving me insane. The camera placement on this level is fucked.

Just disable the cameras first thing as you start the level.

EDIT:
That level was fun to speed run.
I picked up the sniper as a hidden weapon. Ran to my hotel room like a mad man, picked the sniper up, shot the lawyer from the balcony. Climbed to the upper floor, threw an ied to the recording booth. Killed the faggot. Then gtfo there as fast as I could. Got a shitty score but finished the level under 5 minutes and didn't kill anyone else.
Good times...

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Just disable the cameras first thing as you start the level.

The camera systems are hard to get to on master with suit only in that level, irrc. He didn't mention suit only though, now that I look, so yeah... if he just means beating master, grab a guard outfit and disable the cameras. Also I believe the main ones leading up to Cross can be shot pretty easily either way.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I mean I thought of disabling the cameras, but it has one of the toughest camera rooms in the game, with a guard that can see through your security disguise and two security cameras in the security room. In most of the other security rooms it's easy enough to distract the guards by throwing stuff, but it's more difficult in this case since all the guards are grouped together, so you never know which one will get distracted. It seems like the only option is to shoot the tape from outside the room, which I haven't tried.

Also after playing all the levels I think my favorites are:
Sapienza
Miami
Hokkaido

I like all the levels though. The only ones I really take issue with are Mumbai and Colombia, because I dislike how large they are while really being nothing more than 3 small areas stapled together. Sapienza and Miami are comparatively smaller but succeed in feeling like a single large, interconnected map.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I mean I thought of disabling the cameras, but it has one of the toughest camera rooms in the game, with a guard that can see through your security disguise and two security cameras in the security room. In most of the other security rooms it's easy enough to distract the guards by throwing stuff, but it's more difficult in this case since all the guards are grouped together, so you never know which one will get distracted. It seems like the only option is to shoot the tape from outside the room, which I haven't tried.

I don't remember that room being such an issue but I forget if master makes it significantly harder. I only really played master to get the suit only stuff. I'd just avoid cameras then, there's only a couple that are hard to walk around going up to Cross if I remember right, and you can shoot them from a distance.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Came to the Codex to help me decide whether or not I might enjoy Hitman 2 (the demo is neat); think I will due to Agent Orange's enjoyment of the game. Strange, we used to fight all the time, but I trust AO's tastes in AAA matters.

DalekFlay The way this game is sold is utterly retarded, to the point that a fucking Steam Guide was written (and became popular) to explain how to purchase the game and what you get in each badly-explained package option.

spectre

Arcane
Yeah, whoever came up with all the fucking gold versions, legacy upgrade packs and season passes should be up for a public punishment.
When H2 came out I said: fuck this shit, I'm waiting until you sort this out. Preferably with a nice discount.

I believe it boils down to this: If you think Blood Money was the best thing about the series, you should enjoy both Hitmans(tm) 1 and 2.
Most people seem to have a problem with two things: the UI (which is a non-issue since all the casualized modern crap can be turned off) and the number of maps.
Sure, it is expected to replay one level a lot, but they are really freaking massive you'll need several runs to explore them entirely. BM maps will feel claustrophobic in comparison.
This gives you multiple angles of approach and the contract challenges can really turn the level around, adding a new twist which turns a familiar location to something new by simply shuffling a bunch of actors and rules around.
In the end, this one shouldn't really be a factor unless you're really averse to the idea of replaying levels.
Only actual problem I had with this game is when you're being an anal competionist: it's possible to burn yourself out on hunting all the achievements and elusive targets (was never a fan of this particular idea).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
DalekFlay The way this game is sold is utterly retarded, to the point that a fucking Steam Guide was written (and became popular) to explain how to purchase the game and what you get in each badly-explained package option.

The only real problem IMO was the "silver edition" which gave you half the season pass. If it just had normal and gold, I don't see why that would be confusing. Legacy was pretty self explanatory, if you didn't own Hitman 1 it adds those maps to Hitman 2.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The only real problem IMO

The real problem—the fundamental and inescapable problem—is that you can't simply buy a fucking game these days (at least, not a AAA game). Instead, you have to to navigate a warren of pre-purchase bribes, day-one DLCs, timed release DLCs, season passes, combo packs, etc.

Do you know what a season pass is? It's pre-purchasing DLC en masse. That's not a real problem, eh? Yes, you can buy the season pass later after all of the content is released, and they still call it a season pass, but at that point it's just a bundle deal. If you just buy each DLC as it's released, you will be penalized for it financially.

But yeah, the only real problem is that they offered a poor man's version of the season pass.

I guess the silver lining here is that I only have to deal with this bullshit every once in a while, because >95% of AAA games aren't worth playing. If you're wondering why I'm being so dramatic, that's because I go years between actually buying and playing AAA games, and I still haven't learned to swallow this bullshit with a smile.

Codex Year of the Donut
The only real problem IMO

The real problem—the fundamental and inescapable problem—is that you can't simply buy a fucking game these days (at least, not a AAA game). Instead, you have to to navigate a warren of pre-purchase bribes, day-one DLCs, timed release DLCs, season passes, combo packs, etc.

Do you know what a season pass is? It's pre-purchasing DLC en masse. That's not a real problem, eh? Yes, you can buy the season pass later after all of the content is released, and they still call it a season pass, but at that point it's just a bundle deal. If you just buy each DLC as it's released, you will be penalized for it financially.

But yeah, the only real problem is that they offered a poor man's version of the season pass.

I guess the silver lining here is that I only have to deal with this bullshit every once in a while, because >95% of AAA games aren't worth playing. If you're wondering why I'm being so dramatic, that's because I go years between actually buying and playing AAA games, and I still haven't learned to swallow this bullshit with a smile.
Have you tried pirating?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Have you tried pirating?

I used to pirate a lot when I was younger (pre-2010), like just about everyone else with a computer. Since my reasons for piracy aren't financial, I now only do so out of principle. Therefore I only pirate rarely, since I value my time and won't play bad games at any price.

For example, a good group of folks might develop a good game, but their publisher insists on invasive DRM. That's a greenlight for piracy. I don't want invasive DRM on my system.

I recently added "is Epic exclusive" to the list. Steam is a DRM client, having it on my system is a grandfathered-in compromise, and I will not tolerate half a dozen proprietary DRM clients on my system. If I feel unwilling to wait a year just because of a fucking exclusivity agreement, that's a pirate. Publishers who go Epic exclusive get their comfortable up-front payment, and I get a free game. It's literally win-win! They've already been paid, after all. I've gone into this in great detail in other threads, and it's not because I'm loyal to Steam or hate Epic. They're both companies out for our money.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
As for Hitman 2's DLC scheme (which is the actual topic at hand here), this DLC shit pervades the industry and is an industry-wide problem. Just because this particular scheme is bad doesn't mean I'm going to pirate the game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As for Hitman 2's DLC scheme (which is the actual topic at hand here), this DLC shit pervades the industry and is an industry-wide problem. Just because this particular scheme is bad doesn't mean I'm going to pirate the game.

DLC like Hitman 2's is basically an expansion pack under a different name. 2 new maps to add on to the 5 and a half in the main game. I'm sorry you found the store page confusing, but there's really not much else to bitch about here. It's not horse armor.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Came to the Codex to help me decide whether or not I might enjoy Hitman 2 (the demo is neat); think I will due to Agent Orange's enjoyment of the game. Strange, we used to fight all the time, but I trust AO's tastes in AAA matters.

The store page is indeed confusing, but all you need buy is the HITMAN 2 GOLD EDITION and the HITMAN GOTY LEGACY PACK. That will give you all the Hitman 2 content and the ability to play all the Hitman 1 missions as well. Just beware that installing the whole thing at once will take up like 150gbs.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

And episodic is bullshit.

Usually I'd agree but for this format I actually think it works pretty well. Every map is kind of a game in itself, and waiting a couple months for the next one encourages you to really finish the last one, and builds anticipation. It's not like the Telltale model where the story would obviously be better if done all at once, with interconnected locations. Also it's not like you'd get a complete game any sooner, so you can just wait for them to all be out. Fans of the series seem divided right down the middle on which is better though, so you're far from alone.
It’s a tough call. I prefer buying a game in one go. And even (the new) Hitman 2’s cliffhanger ending was disappointing for me.

I want a lot of content for my purchase and I the micro transactions making me pay more than I normally would for a game. And then the worst part: that the game you play might not even be finished if the funding dries up.

That said, I really appreciated the level of production quality the episodic format allowed them in the first one.

For a studio without an infinite budget, it must have been very useful to be able to develop and sell the game piecemeal.

However, I will say that if you’re going to take this approach, offering only the tutorial for free is a bad idea.

The only reason I finally bought the first one was because it was on sale and I love the Hitman series. If not for that, my hatred of episodic games would have continued to stop me.

Andronovo

Learned
I got all the content of Hitman 6 & 7 for $55 on sale. In order to not let the sales model irritate me, I just pretend it's all one game that cost $55 dollars. I want to reward IO for making a proper stealth game, but at the same time they're not being very consumer friendly. It's still very good. It doesn't really expand much upon the basic formula set down in previous Hitman games, but it polishes it immensely.

I tried to beat it on Master with silent assassin, but you know the bullshit where you try to knock someone out, they haven't detected you, but instead of being choked they turn 180 degrees in an instant and start a fist fight with you? I got sick of that and switched to Professional. I made up for it though by doing everything suit only silent assassin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom