Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN 2 - the new NON-episodic Hitman game

racofer

Thread Incliner
Devs and their endless quest for innovashun. Nobody gives a shit about these online elements in a Hitman game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
any kind of online multiplayer in 2018 is just an excuse by the devs not to add meaningful content. it's easier to make than making new assets for more levels, and to top it off the sheeple have been convinced that it's better than having more levels.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
any kind of online multiplayer in 2018 is just an excuse by the devs not to add meaningful content. it's easier to make than making new assets for more levels, and to top it off the sheeple have been convinced that it's better than having more levels.
A single good level is better than a thousand shitty levels. I would rather play a single well made hand crafted doom map than play OBLIGE maps until eternity. There's nothing wrong with reusing a map in a creative way if it allows for it.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
body bags
Was in 2016, I doubt it was not carried over.
blood and trails of blood that could be followed by the guards
True enough.
human shields
That was actually in the beta version of Hitman 2016, however it was removed in the launch version. Why? I don't know. I don't think it's really necessary since Hitman is a stealth game and the only use I had for it in Hitman Blood Money was to knock people out without wasting syringes. The only use for it that you would have in Hitman 2 and 2016 is to just go into combat, something that you shouldn't do.
looking through keyholes
Pointless with the xray vision, although it would be a welcome change.
weapon upgrading
I wish it was in the game although it's non-essential. In Hitman BM it would just make your weapons both look and feel really ridiculous.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ghost mode sounds like fun, but I'm afraid I have no one to compete against among my buddies.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Human shields were immensely useful in Blood Money; it let you drag people to areas preemptively instead of KOing or killing them where they stood and then dragging them away.

I'm playing the new Hitman right now though and it is actually quite good. Pretty satisfied with it. I disagree with the folks who don't like the "see through map" design. I think that's literally the same thing as Blood Money's map button, but instead of taking you out of the 3rd person it just keeps you there. That said, I would have liked a mode where you do have a map and can use that + peep through keyholes or listen for steps or something.

These are small matters, though. Hitman to me is about puzzle solving and it's still solid in that regard. Except 'always online'. Dunno what the hell that is about.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Human shields were immensely useful in Blood Money; it let you drag people to areas preemptively instead of KOing or killing them where they stood and then dragging them away.
Immensely useful apparently is a janky mechanic that is completely worthless unless you are playing combat, which you shouldn't be doing anyway in a Hitman game. Human shields became useless the second that subdue was implemented.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Got tired of watching Sean Bean die? Now YOU can kill him:

ACTOR SEAN BEAN TO STAR IN FIRST ELUSIVE TARGET MISSION FOR HITMAN 2 VIDEO GAME

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and IO Interactive today announced that international actor Sean Bean will star in the first Elusive Target mission for the HITMAN™ 2 video game. Bean will take on the role of Mark Faba, a former MI5 agent turned freelance assassin. Notoriously known as “The Undying”, Faba’s reputation as a master of faking his own death is second to none, ultimately causing the International Contract Agency (ICA) to put an imposing bounty on his head.

“I’m thrilled to be a part of the upcoming HITMAN™ 2 video game” said Bean, “It’s always exciting to take on a new role, and I look forward to seeing my character in action when the Elusive Target mission launches.”

“We are very proud to partner with the talented Sean Bean on the first Elusive Target mission in HITMAN™ 2,” said Hakan Abrak, Studio Head, IO Interactive. “Elusive Targets have become a distinguishing trait in Hitman™ games as part of the constant stream of free live content for all players to enjoy. This new mission starring Sean Bean is one of many updates, features, modes and franchise firsts coming to HITMAN™ 2, making the next chapter in our ever-expanding world of assassination a richer game for our passionate community and newcomers to the series.”

In the new live-action announcement trailer, Mark Faba, played by Sean Bean, is introduced speaking to his therapist and begins to hint at his unique approach to contract killing, as many random items in the room could potentially serve as useful weapons in Faba’s unorthodox profession. While the session ends badly for Faba’s therapist, the video closes with a familiar character emerging, who has been patiently watching the entire time—the masterful Agent 47. The interactive trailer also asks viewers to vote on three different items referenced in the trailer to unlock an exclusive HITMAN™ 2 weapon later in the game. For more information, visit: https://elusive-target.hitman.com/

To view and share the Official HITMAN™ 2 Elusive Target #1 Trailer Starring Sean Bean, visit: https://youtu.be/LejsrVCiZUw

The first Elusive Target mission, entitled The Undying, is scheduled to release on 20th November, one week after HITMAN™ 2 launches on 13th November, and will run for 10 days. Once the mission is available, players must stop Mark Faba before he can utilize his expert surveillance, infiltration and demolition skills to complete a contract at the Global Innovation Race event in Miami, and if anyone can take down Faba for the last time, it’s Agent 47.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Elusive targets are neat but being able to do them only a handful times at the most really rubs me the wrong way. I can only hope that someone manages to hack Hitman 2016 and 2018 if they truly never intend to make the game feature full after their expiry.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I didn't play Hitman 2016 so I can't comment on how it worked in practice but I like the idea of unrepeatable, high-stakes assassinations. In general I like anything that increases the intensity of a game, limited saves and time limits etc, and this seems like an extension of that. Makes sense to give people a chance to play the missions after the fact though, just put it on their record that they didn't complete it in the one-shot mode or something.

Also the key hole peeping makes perfect sense to remove because it doesn't fit in a modern context. Modern doors don't have key holes that you can look through; and although it was fine in the early games since the older, more abstracted graphics meant you could get away with stuff like that without it looking awkward, with the super high fidelity graphics of these new games you would clearly be able to see that Agent 47 is just putting his face against nothing and it would appear absurd. That said I'd rather they come up with an alternative, like the mirror under the door trick from SWAT, instead of relying on the lameass x-ray vision mode (or maybe x-ray vision only works when 47 is up against a door, like he is listening for movement, so more like a sonar vision).

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I just watched a YouTube video of the Colombia mission and this game takes „no challenge“ and handholding to a new level. How so many of you wank off to this game is beyond me.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Just bought Hitman 2016, and loving it, come here and find out the next version has multiplayer.
What's wrong with a multiplayer mode? No one would have whined about when Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow implemented Spies vs Mercs back in 2004. I see it as no different from that.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Just bought Hitman 2016, and loving it, come here and find out the next version has multiplayer.
What's wrong with a multiplayer mode? No one would have whined about when Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow implemented Spies vs Mercs back in 2004. I see it as no different from that.

It means resources diverted from making single player which is the only thing that a hitman game should focus on. And do we really need more multiplayer shooty games? But I am biased as I could give a flying fuck about multiplayer anything. The last "multiplayer" experience I had was playing WitE and that was years ago...

Also this will inevitably lead to HITMAN 3: Battle Royale Edition.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It literally uses like 0.1% of design resources. There are basically zero new assets made for the mode from the gameplay I have seen, it's just some idea that they threw at the wall to see if it sticks. I don't see how a 1v1 mode focused on being stealthy and fast will lead to Battle Royale.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
God, every time this "resources diverted" bitching starts, like everyone is running a videogame development project and is 100% clear on how resources are managed in another project. It's such a laughable non-argument for writing off a game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom