Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN 2 - the new NON-episodic Hitman game

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I find it important and I take the lighter, brighter settings like the fashion show, Sapienza and Marrakesh as a great improvement over the dark edgy Max Payne 1 style atmosphere in Absolution.

DeepOcean

Arcane
If there is one game series I wish I could get into but just can't it's this one. I've tried playing Blood Money so many times because everything about it screams "YOU SHOULD LIKE THIS" but for some reason the game just never clicks with me. I even liked Death to Spies more and got halfway through Death to Spies 2, much further than I ever got in Blood Money. It's so weird. I don't know what the deal is, I guess the costume mechanic or the trial and error.
Tried Blood Money and gave up near the end. To me, it is the lack of challenge, the disguise mechanic doesn't have enough counters to make the systems enjoyable. On Hitman season 1, you just need to avoid certain NPCs while you are 100% safe with most, if you have the right disguise, that isn't that hard to get. The NPCs that can detect you are a 100% or nothing barrier too, so you just need to walk around the map, avoid certain NPCs while you get the disguise that is the key to pass to the next area, you go changing disguises until getting to the target, rinse and repeat.

Going guns blazing isn't fun too as this isn't a proper third person shooter, so you end up with a weak shooter and ratter easy stealth game.

blrrmmmff

Scholar
Absolution was garbage in almost every way, I meant Contracts and Blood money specifically.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

To me, it is the lack of challenge, the disguise mechanic doesn't have enough counters to make the systems enjoyable.
Eh. Disguise and so many other features are for the weak. you can't get silent assassin unless you do the whole mission in your suit.

And that's ultimately what Hitman is about - replaying each level differently until you can get the perfect score.

The main thing I missed from Blood Money in the last game was enemies being able to follow blood trails etc and find bodies that you've hidden. To me, that alone breaks Nu-Hitman.

Vibalist

Arcane
If there is one game series I wish I could get into but just can't it's this one. I've tried playing Blood Money so many times because everything about it screams "YOU SHOULD LIKE THIS" but for some reason the game just never clicks with me. I even liked Death to Spies more and got halfway through Death to Spies 2, much further than I ever got in Blood Money. It's so weird. I don't know what the deal is, I guess the costume mechanic or the trial and error.
Tried Blood Money and gave up near the end. To me, it is the lack of challenge, the disguise mechanic doesn't have enough counters to make the systems enjoyable. On Hitman season 1, you just need to avoid certain NPCs while you are 100% safe with most, if you have the right disguise, that isn't that hard to get. The NPCs that can detect you are a 100% or nothing barrier too, so you just need to walk around the map, avoid certain NPCs while you get the disguise that is the key to pass to the next area, you go changing disguises until getting to the target, rinse and repeat.

There's a very simple solution to this problem: Turn off the ability to see who can detect you (along with the wall hack and all that other stuff) and then raise the difficulty level. There, you've just made the game harder.

blrrmmmff

Scholar
Not more fun though. That should be a gameplay mechanic, offering different ways to the player to scout out the next room. By sound, or using some gadget, watching through keyholes, or slightly opening the door. Really a missed opportunity.

Vibalist

Arcane
Peeping through keyholes has really just been replaced with leaning against the wall next to the door and opening it. Slightly more retarded, yes, but it serves the exact same purpose.

I've played over 50 hours with all help toggled off and not once did I think to myself "this game is impossible because I can't look through keyholes".

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Peeping through keyholes has really just been replaced with leaning against the wall next to the door and opening it. Slightly more retarded, yes, but it serves the exact same purpose.

I've played over 50 hours with all help toggled off and not once did I think to myself "this game is impossible because I can't look through keyholes".
I've been in the role of Looney Tunes Wile E. Coyote so many times while waiting around corners in Deus Ex, that I could have sworn it was scripted.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
E3 recap: https://www.ioi.dk/e32018/

GS2.gif

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
This document has been deleted.
Back up your shit and upload it to sites like mixtape.moe, retards. These links go down in a few hours, especially with big releases.

Master

Arbiter
Dont worry, there wasnt anything worthwile. Same old tired shit.

Edit

But if you must know. New locations have been revealed. And sure thing devs have stayed true to their word, that you will visit "lots of new places, places you have never seen before in a Hitman game." Like Colombia for example.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/07/27/hitman-2s-crowd-skulking-is-quiet-but-effective/

Hitman 2’s crowd-skulking is quiet but effective
"Sorry sir, I lost the suspicious bald man with the barcode on his neck in that crowd of five people"

The man who kills bad guitarists is back. Hitman 2 looks mostly to be polishing the first game’s bald head, which makes sense when you think of it as the stand-in for a 2nd season that never happened. As a sequel, it doesn’t appear to be changing much, apart from giving assassins a bunch of new murder playgrounds in which to plot against wealthy charlatans. But the changes it is making are quiet and helpful. If Hitman was a game about killing your boss (and we reckon it is) then Hitman 2 will be about hiding from your boss in a throng of admirers. And then killing him.

Let’s start with that change: hiding in crowds. I recently got to play a demo level in which I had to kill notable financier and racecar driver Sierra Knox. Like all of 47’s target, your handler Diana makes sure you know that Sierra is a bad person with bad habits. Habits like WAR CRIME.

Anyway, as part of this mission, I’ve got to sneak through the stands and VIP sections of the race, dress up as a mechanic, and plant a bomb on her car (there will be other methods available but for the demo I’m told this is all I’ve got). To do this, I need to make use of the big crowds gathered in the stadium. The sequel will be able to generate many more people than the first Hitman, and walking among them now acts as a way to keep a low profile. Guards who would normally see through your disguise are thrown off once you’re surrounded by the chattering masses, similar to the cover you gain by “blending in” at waiter’s counters or mop buckets.

It’s odd that it took IO this long to borrow a gimmick from the Assassin’s Creed series. It isn’t quite as seamless as those stabby hoodlums lowering their heads and pretending to be a pleasant monk, blending into a unit of people. Judging from the demo, it’s cruder than that. You just waltz in among the throng and stand there. At one point, I stand amidst a group of chatting race fans, dressed as a security guard. They seem to take no notice of the large, bald man standing in the middle of their conversation, nor do they care about the predatory looks he’s giving that racecar driver. But it works and it’s useful, another sneaky addition to the murder playground. An obscuring ball pit, except instead of coloured balls you’re covered in rich people wearing fancy clothes.

The sniper’s briefcase also makes a return. It’s dead-dropped into specific areas, containing a sniper rifle you can assemble in a quiet place. I’ve never been much of a sniper in moderno-Hitman. It almost feels ungrateful to use a gun to snuff out your target when the level designers have given you so many cups to poison, chandeliers to sabotage, and masseurs to impersonate. However, for those who enjoy the thrill of the crosshairs and challenge of finding a good vantage point, the briefcase seems a handy tool for setting up those chances.

Far more useful, I feel, are the new picture-in-picture moments. These small windows of action appear when something important is happening out of sight. Remember that paramedic you clubbed on the head with a crowbar? Some innocent passer-by just found their body slumped against a radiator, and thanks to the pop-up window, you get to see that. Before, sloppy assassins would simply be told “body found”, leaving you to briefly guess at which of your five recent disguises is now out of date. Although, to be frank, you should probably just stop leaving bodies in the living room.

All of these additions are neat, tidy and sensible. At the same time, they also feel like they should have been in the 2016 reboot in the first place. But that concern is secondary, because it’s the exotic locations and clockwork level design that murderers really love. I didn’t get to explore Miami enough to make up my mind, but if the level is to surpass the protests of Marrakech or the exploding golf balls of Sapienza, I feel like there’s room for improvement. Aside from the race and the crowds, the expo hall on offer was mostly boxy corridors and rooms of glass and concrete. Although, that’s 99% of US architecture. So maybe I just find America boring compared to North Africa and Bangkok.

I should also add that I did find at least one random NPC speaking completely in Spanish, which is hopefully a sign that they’ve taken to heart criticism about the out-of-place Brits and Yanks spread throughout the world, the Thai bellboys speaking with thick English accents, for example.

With changes as quiet as briefcases and camera angles, some could worry that not enough has been freshened up for a sequel. But the last thing I’d want is for Hitman to try to reinvent itself. The framework of Hitman 2016 is easily sturdy enough for a second round of Bond-like skulking and silly killing. The new features are welcome, but even without them, I’m keen for more violent holidays. Hiding in crowds is good, but the important question is: where will those crowds take us?

Hitman 2 is coming out on November 13 for £44.99/€59.99/$59.99

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Immerse yourself in the world of Hitman 2 by blending into the crowd, exploiting the hyper-detailed locations, and utilizing the personalities of the revolutionary AI to create a domino effect with vast repercussions.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
New trailer with some new info. All Season 1 owners will get the remastered and redone season 1 content for free. Still wish I had a good PC that could run the game with an acceptable FPS.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.ioi.dk/woa-announcement/

We’re really excited to finally announce the WORLD OF ASSASSINATION, a brand new way to immerse yourself in the HITMAN universe.

Welcome to the WORLD OF ASSASSINATION, an ever-expanding game world that will bring remastered and enhanced locations from the previous game to HITMAN 2.

Known as the HITMAN Legacy Pack, all six locations – Paris, Sapienza, Marrakesh, Bangkok, Colorado and Hokkaido – will be accessible as downloadable content and will incorporate various new features from HITMAN 2, including a brand new progression system, addition of hiding in foliage and crowds displayed at improved fidelity, picture-in-picture mode, strategic use of mirrors, improved combat A.I., new gameplay items like the briefcase, dart gun, flash grenades, etc., new difficulty levels, and much more!

As new elements and game modes are continually added to HITMAN 2, as well as the previous game’s locations, WORLD OF ASSASSINATION will offer a continuous experience that will never stop growing and never stop challenging players, defining the past, present and future of HITMAN.

The HITMAN Legacy Pack will be available to owners of the previous game for free. Owners of Season 1 can download the remastered and enhanced content once HITMAN 2launches without any additional costs.

We have been through an amazing journey with our fans and community and are extremely proud of the continued love and support,” said Hakan Abrak, CEO, IO Interactive.

“This is our way to say a big thank you and give something back. We have finally revealed our long-term vision to deliver the World of Assassination, an ever-expanding continuous universe starting from Paris in Season 1, going all the way through to the end of HITMAN 2 and beyond with our future endeavors. To create a universe like this is not only an ambitious task creatively, but also technically. I am in awe and admiration with our incredibly talented team and what they have achieved.”

sullynathan

Arcane
so they're sticking the original game into the new game for more content? I can only imagine what would've happened if the first one never released and this was the original game

Vibalist

Arcane
It would have been the game of the decade.

Also, it probably never would have gotten made.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

This new setting will put players directly in the heart of a dark and dangerous South American rainforest, providing a vastly different canvas for Agent 47 to carry out his deadly missions. Truly a living, breathing jungle environment with threats lurking around every corner, Colombia will feature a unique gameplay experience with multiple paths to explore, unparalleled game depth and countless interactive possibilities for players.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom