Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN 2 - the new NON-episodic Hitman game

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
What pisses me off even more is that in Hitman 2016 it had those challenges you could complete but the thing is, if you checked them out, they revealed the many ways you could eliminate a target when in the past titles, figuring out those ways was kinda the whole point.

If you turn off the opportunity hints, some of them are quite difficult to figure out, if that really is the type of gameplay you want. Even with the challenges indicating ways to assassinate it takes many hours to actually complete everything in each mission. I abhor this whole"achievement" focused generation style of gaming we are now living in, but for this game the challenges work quite nicely, think of them as "quests" or something to give you a reason to keep replaying the levels.

My interest in nu-Hitman has been slowly dying since Absolution. I don't want elusive targets or gimmick mode multiplayer, mandatory always-online is just shit no matter how you slice it and then on top of it all, Denuvo. Again.

I guess I'll just replay the old games.

As I have said earlier, they made a lot of bad desicions with episodes, online only, copy protection etc. But if you ignore that stuff the actual GAME is a return to classic Hitman. Absolution was shit. This game is good. You dont even need to play elusive targets, whatever other gimmick multiplayer stuff, Hitman 2016 has a ton of stuff to do in each level. I have already spent 20 hours, mostly just in the Paris mission.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
"figuring out those ways" in the old games was never much of a challenge either because point of interest markers were on the map and highlighted it just as easy as the challenges do.
The PoIs that you saw on the map were usually various items, disguises and so forth, none of them actually told you how to kill your target, sure, they gave you ideas but ultimately you chose how and where to use them. You found a bomb, well you could either place it under a car or place it somewhere else where the target would be heading or use a disguise, go near the target, drop it to its feet and walk away etc. The point is "here, have a bomb, kill the guy" whereas in Hitman 2016 (and probably 2018) "here, have a bomb, place it under his desk". There's a nuance here.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I spent 15 hours in Sapienza which I got for free to get Mastery 20, just so I could unlock the sniper rifle and figure out more ways to kill the target with it. I managed to kill the target by dropping a chandelier on his head from a tower 300m away when he was walking under it, and I used a tiny opening by a window so I could shoot through a door to kill my target at the church tower.
You found a bomb, well you could either place it under a car or place it somewhere else where the target would be heading or use a disguise, go near the target, drop it to its feet and walk away etc
Except you were usually scripted to only use them one way anyway, or they were only logical to use in a certain way because others were unviable. The point of interest for the fugu fish wasn't particularly liberating with how you could use it, it was quite obvious that they wanted you to cut it wrong so the target would die, and that was that.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I spent 15 hours in Sapienza which I got for free to get Mastery 20, just so I could unlock the sniper rifle and figure out more ways to kill the target with it. I managed to kill the target by dropping a chandelier on his head from a tower 300m away when he was walking under it, and I used a tiny opening by a window so I could shoot through a door to kill my target at the church tower.
You found a bomb, well you could either place it under a car or place it somewhere else where the target would be heading or use a disguise, go near the target, drop it to its feet and walk away etc
Except you were usually scripted to only use them one way anyway, or they were only logical to use in a certain way because others were unviable. The point of interest for the fugu fish wasn't particularly liberating with how you could use it, it was quite obvious that they wanted you to cut it wrong so the target would die, and that was that.
Yes, there were some missions where you were restricted to an MO but at least they didn't plaster it on the screen "kill this way", they let you figure it out. If I find this item and this and I follow the target, I can probably realize what goes where.
Hitman 2016 I didn't play. When I saw online only unlockables....yeah, no thanks. Part of the fun from previous games was getting SA Rank so you can unlock new weapons. Hitman 2016 didn't even have a SA ranking or any ranking from the videos I watched just the 5 Hitman symbols which I assume is the new ranking system.
I am excited for 2018 version though, at least they brought back the briefcase and it's not episodic anymore.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Part of the fun from previous games was getting SA Rank so you can unlock new weapons
People used them? When I completed Hitman Contracts twice, once SA and once normal I didn't care about them in the slightest. The most beloved Hitman game of all, BM, didn't even have that feature since it was largely pointless and a distraction.
Hitman 2016 didn't even have a SA ranking or any ranking from the videos I watched just the 5 Hitman symbols which I assume is the new ranking system.
If you get maximum it does say silent assassin, and there's still challenges for doing it silent assassin.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What pisses me off even more is that in Hitman 2016 it had those challenges you could complete but the thing is, if you checked them out, they revealed the many ways you could eliminate a target when in the past titles, figuring out those ways was kinda the whole point.
You know you can turn off the entire UI piece by piece, right? The game was designed so you could pursue the quest markers, it was also designed to be 100% playable without them. This is "split design" done properly and with intention.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
You know you can turn off the entire UI piece by piece, right? The game was designed so you could pursue the quest markers, it was also designed to be 100% playable without them. This is "split design" done properly and with intention.
Actually I don't know that. I never checked the settings and I never finished the game after discovering the online stuff. Played for a little bit and yeah, done. They could have added all the improvements on top of existing features from previous games without removing anything and adding online crap.
At least they're back on the right track though, they are Hitman games. Was afraid a little after Absolution.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Part of the fun from previous games was getting SA Rank so you can unlock new weapons
People used them? When I completed Hitman Contracts twice, once SA and once normal I didn't care about them in the slightest. The most beloved Hitman game of all, BM, didn't even have that feature since it was largely pointless and a distraction.
Hitman 2016 didn't even have a SA ranking or any ranking from the videos I watched just the 5 Hitman symbols which I assume is the new ranking system.
If you get maximum it does say silent assassin, and there's still challenges for doing it silent assassin.
It was part of the fun. How anyone used them or not, it depended on their playstyle, but at least it gave a nice reward for getting SA. And in BM you could modify weapons, in the 2016 version, you can't.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know you can turn off the entire UI piece by piece, right?
Actually I don't know that. I never checked the settings and I never finished the game after discovering the online stuff.
It's true. They actually listened to the feedback about making it too casual and designed the UI to be shut off and for the whole game to be awesome with the UI shut off. If you ever try it again, or try the sequel, I recommend turning off everything in the UI and then only turning back on things you absolutely can't live without. You'll find it deliciously hardcore that way.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
You know you can turn off the entire UI piece by piece, right?
Actually I don't know that. I never checked the settings and I never finished the game after discovering the online stuff.
It's true. They actually listened to the feedback about making it too casual and designed the UI to be shut off and for the whole game to be awesome with the UI shut off. If you ever try it again, or try the sequel, I recommend turning off everything in the UI and then only turning back on things you absolutely can't live without. You'll find it deliciously hardcore that way.
Oh ok then. Good on them to listen to feedback and actually implementing it.
Maybe I'll try it again sometime.
Thanks for letting me know.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-2-undying-unlock-revealed/

Undying Unlock Revealed
Robot, Pen or Earphones?

Sean Bean will star in the first Elusive Target mission in HITMAN 2. He will take on the role of Mark Faba, a former MI5 agent notoriously known as The Undying due to his reputation as a master of faking his own death.

In the live action announcement trailer, Faba is speaking to his therapist and begins to hint at his unique approach to contract killing, as many random items in the room could potentially serve as useful weapons in his unorthodox profession. We also gave you the opportunity to vote to unlock one of these items in HITMAN 2.

Your choice was between the Flash Grenade Robot, Earphones Garotte and Explosive Pen. Now, voting is closed…

And the WINNER is… #UnlockPEN!

Sean_Bean_Pen-1024x763.jpg

With 42% of the total vote, we’ll be adding the Explosive Pen into HITMAN 2!

This unique item will be unlocked by any HITMAN 2 player that plays ‘The Undying’ Elusive Target contract. Simply playing the mission will complete the ‘Explosive Penmanship’ Challenge and add the item to your inventory. We know that many of you might want to use your new tool to eliminate Mark Faba, so we’ve made sure to add the Explosive Pen into the mission itself as well. If you look closely enough, you’ll be able to find all three items, so that you have at least one chance to use whatever item it is that you voted for. However, only the Explosive Pen will be added to your permanent inventory.

Here’s a look at the Explosive Pen in action: https://www.ioi.dk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/ExplosivePen_IOIBlog.mp4

The Explosive Pen is a non-illegal item that can be freely carried by Agent 47. It can be locked on to a target and thrown for a lethal kill and will explode shortly after with a powerful blast. It can also be throw to the ground before exploding. If you want, you can also conceal it inside a briefcase.

The Undying Elusive Target contract will start in HITMAN 2 on November 20 and will run for 14 days – an extension of 4 days and a change to what we originally announced. We made this change to ensure that we give players two weekends to take on the mission. Good luck!

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Are the unlockables and scores and such online only? Like do you have to be connected to the internet when you complete a mission in order to register and unlock other stuff?
Wasn't this system in place in Hitman 2016? Hugely worried about this.

Zombra

Patron
fuck the fucking fuck. why denuvo again? WHY?
Are the unlockables and scores and such online only? Hugely worried about this.
Yeah. I did eventually end up buying (and greatly enjoying) HITMAN™ but the whole online thing kept me away for a long time. Bringing back Denuvo doesn't make me happy here either.

Once again I am going to take a lonnnnnnng look before I consider pulling out my dollars. We'll talk in a year.

:keepmymoney:

flyingjohn

Arcane
The online only stuff is just stupid.You already have denuvo to ensure the first month sales,why add unnecessary online bullshit,especially time limited content?
If the devs are worried about staying power then there is a thing called dlc,which you can add after the game release.
This just makes some people wait until the super duper special edition is released.

drgames

Scholar
Could you guys explain me why there are HITMAN 2 steam keys that costs about 29 euros?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...iew-a-surgical-to-the-point-of-slender-sequel

Hitman 2 review - a surgical to the point of slender sequel

More Hitman: Season 2 than an experience in its own right, but a couple of great maps plus a fun competitive mode make for a solid fan pick.

In a characteristically indirect show of political engagement, I spent much of this week's US mid-term elections wandering around Whittleton Creek, Hitman 2's idyllic slice of suburbia. If nothing else, there's a (more coherent) parody of Donald Trump canvassing the neighbourhood in the shape of a local congressional wannabe. Speak to him, and you'll be treated to a cynical diatribe on immigrants and cleaning up politics. Strangle and dress as him, meanwhile, and you can spout a bit of populist invective yourself in a bid to get one of your quarries alone. A horseshoe of grand clapboard mansions presiding over snooker table lawns, the map is both a study in privilege and an opportunity for Io Interactive to play more overtly with the layers of social permissiveness that make up its brilliant stealth game. It's also, for my money, the best part of a sequel that is essentially a season's worth of DLC maps with a bow on top, padded out with tweaked legacy content from Hitman 2016 plus a fun competitive mode.

Agent 47 himself is as lethal and preposterous a protagonist as ever, his greatest weapon not the razor-wire coiled in his pocket or the silenced pistol tucked discreetly behind his hip, but his ability to impersonate anybody from a cartoon mascot to a corpse. The sequel's seven maps (including a tutorial area) once again see you robbing innocent bystanders of their clothes to trick watchful eyes and close the distance to your quarry. Once near, you'll want to look for opportunities to get your victim alone or things you can sabotage - breathing masks, stage pyrotechnics, car-raising mechanisms - to bring about their demise.

Each mission completion expands your portfolio of killing instruments, from sniper rifles you can have smuggled to a safehouse before arrival to remotely detonated mines you might leave in a suitcase for unsuspecting guards to recover. Often, though, the more satisfying tools for the job are the things you find lying around. At Hitman's core is an ethic of wreaking vengeance on the powerful, be it a vain movie producer or a Columbian druglord's head of PR. The game's dress-up system essentially puts the lie to the idea that the rich are a different and worthier breed by showing that what we wear defines us - and how better to punish them for their presumption than by turning their own belongings against them? Mulching a businessman's brains with his own putting iron is riskier, but sends a louder message than just snuffing him out with your sniper rifle.

jpg

Many of these poetic ironies form part of the moderately scripted assassination gambits you'll find woven into the texture of each map, most triggered by overhearing a conversation. As with the 2016 game's Opportunity system, it's best to disable the associated HUD cues and waypoints if you want to appreciate the deviousness of these tactics - by default, you'll be jumping through hoops. You might also want to turn off HUD aids like the radial awareness system which indicates that somebody suspects you of foul play (people who know the person whose clothes you've pinched won't be fooled by your disguise for long). In general, the more you strip from Hitman's interface the more delight you'll squeeze from its NPC sandbox, but don't worry if you'd rather leave the waterwings on during your first playthrough: the game's Contract system, whereby players can generate their own hits with specific targets and tactics, should provide ample reason to revisit maps.

New to this iteration is localised voice-acting, where the last game had NPCs from every country speak American English. This makes more obvious the fact that Agent 47 is basically a long-running joke about Anglo-Saxon features being a kind of universal currency, accepted everywhere even when screamingly out of place. The dialogue pokes fun at this throughout - in Mumbai, one Indian magnate reacts to the discovery that his portrait painter now looks like Captain Picard on steroids by remarking on the quality of your shave. In Miami, meanwhile, there's the chance to inspect a line-up of prototype android assassins while dressed as a visiting general. "I prefer the human touch," quips Agent 47, during a demonstration of facial recognition technology you are free to abuse.

jpg

Sadly, while the maps are pretty strong (save for a rather phoned-in opening seaside level) there's nothing here that's quite as exciting or weird as the pick of Hitman 2016. Mumbai is the busiest, spanning a half-constructed modern skyscaper, a gorgeous deserted railyard with velveteen, colonial era carriages, and a tangle of alleyways thronged with rickshaws and open-air stalls (the ability to actually pass through crowds, rather than bumping around them like furniture, adds much to the game's recreation of one of the world's most densely populated cities). It's lent intrigue by the fact that one of your story mission targets is incognito to begin with, though if you leave too many HUD aids on you'll find that flushing him out is insultingly straightforward. The Miami chapter, meanwhile, gives you the tour of a racing event with a tech expo bolted onto it. In a brilliant touch, the race unfolds as you explore, offering a parallel sequence of events for you to take advantage of. One of your targets is a driver, and it's possible to kill her at any stage in the proceedings from the pitstop to the podium.

Columbia offers more visual variety, with rundown villages giving way to thick jungle and then to the glistening grounds of a druglord's mansion, but I found it too dependent on Agent 47's newfound ability to take cover in tall vegetation. Though useful and not, of course, obligatory, this trick feels like a concession to more generic stealth games rather than an engrossing new tool for Hitman.

The map that should be the game's crowning glory also falls a bit flat. It sees you infiltrating an island masquerade held by an Illuminati-style organisation, and includes a nod to Hitman: Blood Money's legendary Requiem scene together with a couple of assassination gambits that revolve around stealing trinkets left in public view. It doesn't, however, do as much to differentiate itself from previous chapters as a finale really should (the game's sub-Bond overarching narrative also ends on a frustrating cliffhanger, in a reflection of the project's previous status as an episodic game). In general, I think Io could take returning players a little further out of their comfort zones, with maps that render some approaches more difficult or which cause you to think afresh about hand-worn tools. But then, that's what contracts are for, to say nothing of the new Ghost mode, a head-to-head option in which players race one another to murder randomly spawned VIP targets.

Players are visible to one another in Ghost Mode but can't interact directly, or affect what happens in each other's worlds save by killing the target first. This lack of a direct connection is a bit disappointing - I'd have loved something in the vein of Assassin's Creed's old multiplayer, with participants indistinguishable from NPCs till caught in acts of non-computerly behaviour, and the fact that you always know who your NPC target is kills a lot of the suspense. But it's still possible to sabotage an opponent by forcing them to rush, galloping through high security areas in the wrong attire in order to steal back a point and stave off defeat. It's also deeply satisfying when you nail a quarry a hair's breadth ahead of your foe, catching them with a remote mine as the other player switches triumphantly to their garrotting wire. It's a promising start to Hitman's multiplayer career, and the lack of any accompanying CoD-style equipment grinding system means that it's always everybody's game to win.

jpg

Hitman 2 is not the landmark the last game was, and given that it almost didn't happen at all, with Io wresting back the rights from Square Enix at the eleventh hour, that's only to be expected. It doesn't take us anywhere drastically unfamiliar for Hitman - all the maps have precedents in older games, and for all the multitude of smaller tweaks, like NPCs spotting you in mirrors or picture-in-picture footage of people you've successfully distracted, the rhythms are exactly those of the 2016 outing. There's plenty to go back to in each map, however, from Trumpian politicians to that slowly unlocking repertoire of subtler or more grandiose strategies, and in Ghost, at least, the suggestion of a series turning a new leaf. I hope Io has the chance to follow through, because Hitman remains one of the smartest stealth experiences out there and truly a game for unequal times - a window upon society in which spoiled elites always get what's coming to them, by fair means or foul.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/11/08/hitman-2-review/

Wot I Think: Hitman 2

As you sneak through an underground tunnel that you’ve just discovered, taking out cameras and hiding dead bodies that should just be unconscious (but you’re bad at this), it’s easy to forget how clever Hitman 2 is. Discovery begets invention, paving the way for the kill, and although IO’s latest take on their murder-sim doesn’t veer too far from the previous game’s reinvention, it spends time re-enforcing what made it so good to begin with. The new locations to explore, and little tweaks to the overall experience, allow for even more murder customisation than before.

What truly makes Hitman 2, mind you, is the sheer amount of ways to take out your target. While this new game ratchets up the number of assassination targets to the point that most missions have two or three people to take out, it’s also ridiculous how different each playthrough of a level can be. You might spend an hour on your first visit to Miami, and to then be greeted by a list of alternate ways in which you could have killed the target is tantalising. The game is egging you on to be better, to do more.

Take the Isle of Sgàil, for example. First time out, I managed to spend the best part of an hour tailing both targets, save-scumming my way around the narrow corridors trying desperately to find a civilian I could half-inch a suitable disguise from, only to end the mission hiding in a thicket, shooting the final victim in the head and legging it to safety. It’s an inauspicious way to finish the game’s final hit, but repeated attempts allowed my 47 to play around with coffins and fire a huge cannon. Then there was the time I, in disguise, took part in a clandestine meeting to shape the world, in which I voted in the chairperson’s favour before offing her on the staircase and once again legging it. Note the theme: there’s no shame in getting out of dodge while imagining the Benny Hill tune is playing in the background, because a bad kill is still a kill, and even a relative success is a learning experience.

It’s moreish in that respect. At one point I infiltrated a man’s home and meticulously destroyed every camera in the house, knocked out every guard and hid the bodies: you have to understand that this took me ages. Then one stupid mistake to lead to a guy drawing his weapon at me, whereby it was immediately on and I shot up the whole town. This was resolved when I de-pantsed the gardener to sneak up on the final target. Those situations can still yield a completion of the level, but perhaps disguising yourself as a neighbour and blending in is equally satisfying, yeah? You can explore and complete objectives to unlock more entry points for the level, more gadgets, more things to smuggle in via a briefcase…

Small changes to the actual nuts and bolts make it feel like more than just Hitman 1.5, such as the new ability to sneak in long grass, or that when 47 wanders in front of a security camera you can now see what it recorded. The previous game’s Opportunities system returns, flagging up when an assassination method is being revealed. You can switch them off if you hate the idea of being helped in any way, but they often point you to the more melodramatic ways to execute a mission, which is great.

The locations themselves are enormous, and packed with people to knock out and costumes to steal. India and Colombia in particular are fantastic, giving a real sense of place with intricate connected locales within a larger level.

Mumbai is a bustling city that introduces the idea that you might not even know what your target looks like. Sure, there are targets you’re aware of, but you also need to spend time exploring your surroundings to locate them. It might be a photo lying around in a street gang’s house, or a would-be journalist who thinks he’s found the guy you’re looking for but, unfortunately, will need knocking out so you can steal the info he has on the target. Even then, you have to actually find your guy. There was his secret lover, the flag she raises to beckon him, and, well, you’ll have to do it your way, but my way felt amazing.

Colombia’s posh mansion is where you get the opportunity to cosplay as a famous tattoo artist, even taking selfies with your target’s wife. The people help these places feel alive, and although there’s nobody quite on the level of Helmut Kruger, the previous game’s stony-faced fashion model, I have a sneaking suspicion that the douchey-tattoo-guy murder will end up a fan fave for how funny it is. But Colombia also has drug fields, urban areas, underground caves, paramilitary outfits and loads of other, non-tattoo artist disguises to wear. It feels like a real, believable location, both random and scripted, yet every object and person was popped onto the map with deliberate forethought.

Miami is another big map, and the place I had most success. Using high-end technology against the inventor and getting a clean kill felt superb, but swapping multiple disguises to burrow deep into a secure medical zone, pose as a paramedic, and give a lethal injection to a racecar driver shouldn’t feel as satisfying as it did. Whittleton Creek in the USA, meanwhile, is mid-sized, and probably the most beautiful level. A snapshot of small-town White America with all the backyard barbecues you can handle and it might be the pick of the bunch due to the volume of opportunities available.

The North Atlantic map is smaller, and where you have a feeling of freedom in the larger spaces, this feels almost claustrophobic, and is more difficult because of the increased proximity to bystanders.Yes, more difficulty in a later level is understandable, but this area also removes some of the fun. Disguises are harder to come by without being spotted, and even when you’re in costume there are more NPCs who know you aren’t Generic Guard Guy and will call you out repeatedly. This map is one only the people who love it hard will revisit because it tightens the reins on 47 in a way the others don’t. That isn’t to say any of them are easy, but this one feels harder overall.

Though this game isn’t delivered episodically, each of these missions is bookended with a very serious story cutscene. IO say they know the game is funny, but the story remains forgettable and feels out of place — though not a massive blot on the record, because it can be easily ignored. It’s just as enjoyable to pretend 47 is out on isolated hits with no connection, even more so because IOI is supporting Hitman 2 by adding all the levels from Hitman (free if you already own that game) and planned post-launch DLC. The ever-popular Elusive Targets are back too; the first drops on November 20 and will give you just 10 days to assassinate Sean Bean.

Previous Hitman games have dabbled with competitive modes, with players able to create, share and compete against one another in assassination challenges. Hitman 2 expands that idea with the Ghost Mode beta, a more robust multiplayer mode in which you compete against another player to score points by taking out targets first. Although you and your rival Agent are visible to one another in the same level, your actions only affect your version of reality. I wasn’t able to properly test the mode due to unpopulated pre-release servers, but the idea is superb. But let’s face it, hoofing wrenches at people in single player never gets old. Blend in all you like, but standing up and leathering someone with a coke can doesn’t stop being funny even after the 30th time.

Hitman 2 is about possibilities; the maps, weapons, and disguises all make it sing. Patience is it’s own reward: if you study your foes, if you watch the movement of guards, the placement of certain elements, you’ll get back what you put in.

Aside from knocking the drab story on the head, it’s tough to know what more I could have wanted from Hitman 2. It’s here for you to mess with it, to try and push the AI routines and bring them to breaking point. It’s as gamey as they come, but it’s a developer having fun, and inviting you to join in.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
With these reviews, very clear example of journo tendency to penalize games that are "more of the same", even if they're good.

https://www.pcgamer.com/hitman-2-review/

HITMAN 2 REVIEW

Stabbed. Strangled. Electrocuted. Drowned. Technically, Hitman 2—like its predecessor—is an incredibly violent game. Your job as master assassin Agent 47 is to ensure a hit list of rich jerks meet a macabre end, preferably silently, with no witnesses or alarms. But—again, like its predecessor—Hitman 2 doesn't revel in its violence. It's not gruesome or gory. Your missions are more cerebral; a puzzle box where the win state is an arsehole being dead.

I could write "like its predecessor" a lot when describing Hitman 2. Perhaps more than any previous game in this 18-year-old series, Hitman 2 feels like a continuation of 2016's Hitman. Hitman 2: Silent Assassin was a major improvement upon Hitman: Codename 47. Hitman: Blood Money was a significant upgrade over Hitman: Contracts. Hitman: Absolution… actually, let's not talk about that one.

Hitman 2, though, is an iteration. It looks more impressive, but not by much. Its crowds are more dense, but not by much. The UI, menus and disguise system are all the same, and it shares the same crisp aesthetic style. Even the tutorial is a direct copy—the same two training missions set in a plywood simulation taking place in a massive underground silo. This is more Hitman: Season 2 than what you might traditionally expect of a full sequel.

It's something that feels important to mention, but it didn't hinder my enjoyment of the game. That's because, taken as a whole, Hitman 2 is more consistent in the quality of its levels. Where Hitman was episodic, this sequel offers its six missions at launch. And, with one exception, all are large and intricate—labyrinthine structures and winding streets full of challenges to overcome and opportunities to pursue.

The first proper mission features a combined racecourse and exhibition centre, separated by an underground parking complex. The Columbian village of Santa Fortuna is larger still, containing a mansion, a construction site, an underground cave network, a drug plantation and a section of rainforest. Even after over an hour spent dealing with its three targets, I hadn't fully explored the space.

Mumbai is like a better version of 2016 Hitman's Marrakesh, with large, bustling crowds that border more restricted areas that, crucially, are more enjoyable to traverse. A construction site that doubles as a movie set is a particular standout, with a clever placement of guards that ensures that—even with the right disguise—you'll need to take a circuitous path or scale the unfinished elevator shaft. A great Hitman level forces you to adapt and respond as you go, and Hitman 2's environments excel at providing the routes and options needed to adjust your plan on the fly.

Really, though, there are only five of these giant sandbox environments. The first actual mission, set in New Zealand, has 47 explore a small beachside property. It functions more like an introduction to the game's concept than a level proper. The other five, while all excellent, do suffer from familiarity. The latter episodes of 2016's Hitman started to play with the structure of what a Hitman level could be, leading to more experimental spaces like Hokkaido, where access was directly tied to the disguise 47 was wearing. Hitman 2 feels more restrained. It riffs on familiar design principles, invoking Sapienza, Paris and even Hitman: Blood Money's US suburbs.

Like its predecessor, the way each mission plays out is largely up to you. By default, Hitman 2 does a lot of hand holding. You'll walk around the public space of each mission until you overhear a conversation that is in some way related to your mission. That triggers a prompt for a 'Mission Story'—the new name for Hitman's Opportunity system. Elect to follow that prompt, and you'll be guided on a series of steps that will put you in reach of your target. In Miami, for instance, I overhear a military general talk about his upcoming meeting with one of my targets, the tech CEO Robert Knox. In response, the game suggests that I steal his clothes.

That's a basic example—many of the Mission Story strands are more complex—but it illustrates how the objective system strips away the puzzle element in favour of basic execution. I'm told what to do, but it's up to me to actually subdue the NPC and hide his body, ensuring that he's not discovered. Even playing like this, though, only some of these paths end with an obvious death. Hitman 2 is designed for repeat playthroughs, and some of the more inventive ends require extra planning, using knowledge gained from a previous run.

Suitably dressed, I meet Knox for a private demo of some new military hardware—putting me in reach of him, and thus, his death. But contextual prompts within the space suggest a way I could turn his tech against him. I have to leave that for a second, more gratifying playthrough, where I use my expanded knowledge to hunt down the specific items I need to execute my plan. Ironic deaths are always the best.

Personally, I prefer to play with Mission Story hints disabled—at least for my first run through each level. The opportunities are still there if you find them, with relevant information logged in a separate intel tab, but it feels more natural, leaving you to identify the relevant steps. Thanks to the size of each level, this meant my first attempt at a mission usually took well over an hour to complete. Still, for me, it's the most satisfying way to play, and I appreciate how granular the options are—letting me define the exact amount of challenge I desire, while still offering a helping hand for those who want it.

There are difficulty options, too, but I never felt the need to experiment with them. Master, which limits you to a single save and adds extra guards and cameras, feels like more of a chore than a challenge. Professional, the default option, is pitched just right. Again, the option is there if you want it, but here feels beside the point. Hitman as a series is designed to let you define your own level of competence and ability. You can botch your way through a level pretty easily, leaving a trail of dead as you go. Or you can aim for Silent Assassin rank, killing only your targets and leaving without a trace.

Each mission has a selection of challenges rewarding you for every achievement, from killing your targets in specific ways to impressive feats like gaining a Silent Assassin rating without ever wearing a disguise. As has always been the case in Hitman, your primary method of infiltration is playing dress up—wearing the clothes of someone who is allowed to be in the place you need to go. But Hitman 2 is also a more competent stealth game, with a new concealment feature that lets you blend into crowds or hide in bushes Assassin's Creed style. It mostly won't change how you play, but does give you a little more breathing room before you need to start executing your plan.

The benefit of completing challenges is that—like its predecessor—you're rewarded with XP that unlocks new tools, new starting locations and new stash points to smuggle in more items. It's another way for Hitman 2 to eek more entertainment out of the same five levels. My playstyle means that, for my first run through, I didn't go anywhere without my lockpick and a handful of coins to use to distract NPCs. But after earning a few levels of mastery, you'll have access to a fun arsenal of guns and toys. IO has even brought back the briefcase, meaning you can finally carry a sniper rifle around without instantly being attacked by every guard on the map.

Many of the other new features don't really make themselves known. The detection UI has been updated a bit, which is nice, I guess. And apparently NPCs can now see you in mirrors, which hasn't yet been a factor in any of my playthroughs. The other big change is the cutscenes, which are now delivered as a slideshow of dynamic images. I've never been particularly invested in Hitman's story, but the switch is distracting—especially because the (repeated) tutorial's cutscenes are present and fully animated.

Familiar problems persist too. Occasionally these intricate simulations break down, with characters stopping a conversation mid-sentence in order to trigger a different conversation, before returning to the first as if the uncanny interruption had never happened. And—like its predecessor—it all but requires you to have an online connection. You can play offline, but you can't complete challenges or unlock new stuff.

Ultimately, Hitman 2 feels safe. That's something of a double edged sword. It means this sequel offers very little in the way of innovation, but also means five quality levels (and New Zealand) that can rival some of the best in Hitman's long history. Perhaps more importantly, it's a robust platform for more—more one-time Elusive Targets, more user-made Contracts, more Sniper Assassin maps and more levels through future expansions.

When 2016's Hitman was announced as being episodic, I was confused, yes, but also excited at the idea of constantly expanding space for new Hitman levels. By being so much like its predecessor, Hitman 2 is set to fulfil that original goal. When paired with the additional Legacy Pack—free to owners of 2016's Hitman—which adds the previous game's levels, Hitman 2 positions itself as the essential platform for entertaining murder puzzles.

THE VERDICT

HITMAN 2

Essentially more of its predecessor but with a more consistent quality of levels. Which is fine: its predecessor was great.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
After watching some streams...
Bad UI, worse than 2016. It can look really slick though.
Performance worse than 2016, apparently.
Only 5 missions, with 1 small trainer mission. Expansions will apparently add 2 if you have the gold edition. All the missions that there are, are great. Lots of replay value too.
Story sucks, absolute trite. No more pretty cutscenes either, they use these slides now.
Very pretty graphics, very impressive lighting and reflections too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom