Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN 2 - the new NON-episodic Hitman game

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
You can't get SA if you kill everyone. You can get professional at best if you do it without blowing your cover.
Nope. Accidents don't count as kills. You can kill every single person on the map by pushing them off a railing, and still retain a Silent Assassin rating. You clearly have no idea how the scoring system works.
They could have improved the game instead of butchering it, adding and repairing instead of removing.
They did, you dumb fuck. The only notable mechanic removal is human shields, something I think is totally useless because I play it as a stealth game, and my only use for it in BM was to knock people out without using sedative syringes.
And don't get me started on that heat seeking throwable briefcase. They could have taken BM and just fix/add to it, not remove.
They did, you dumb fuck. You can now use it as a weapon, use it to conceal non-sniper two handed weapons and use it to conceal anything that you don't want to have seen by guards and civilians. All of those are additions.
FFS, SA had 21 missions, BM had 11, this one has 6.
You sound like someone who has never played Hitman 2016, the 6 missions in Hitman 2016 are better than anything in Hitman 2. Hitman 2's overall mission quality was frankly abysmal. Basically every Russia mission other than Invitation to a Party and St Petersburg Stakeout, every Japan mission other than Tracking Hayamoto, every Malaysia mission other than the first, every Middle East mission and basically every India mission was bad. I'd say only like a quarter was good, at best. Quantity never equals quality.
BM's missions were largely good. I hated the tutorial, I didn't like Flatline and I didn't like the last one because of how it forces you into an action sequence.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
glad we agree Blood Money is the superior game.
Yeah all of Blood Money's great mechanics like being able to genocide the entire map by pushing them off of railings and still get silent assassin, AI awkwardly looking at you whenever you go past them and having to pull out your gun to knock people out.
You can't get SA if you kill everyone. You can get professional at best if you do it without blowing your cover.
And if the NPCs look at you so what? They could have improved the game instead of butchering it, adding and repairing instead of removing. Call me autistic all you eant, what I know is that a sequel is supposed to improve over the previous game not take out/remove/replace stuff.

One of the best things I liked when I played games when I was a kid was that sweet continuity between sequels, for example in SC 1 they theach you how to disarm wall mines, bypass keypads, bypass eye scanners, use turret IFFs against enemies etc. and you could use that in SC 2 and e without needing a tutorial for it, you go "oh I remember how to do this".
And don't get me started on that heat seeking throwable briefcase. They could have taken BM and just fix/add to it, not remove.
FFS, SA had 21 missions, BM had 11, this one has 6.
Do you have any worthwhile criticism for Hitman 2016 and 2018 or are you gonna keep going on about the flying briefcase and the missions? The missions are vastly bigger in the newer ones and are designed as a "toy box" world with replayability mainly in focus, unlike the filler shit in SA.
The maps being bigger is the only improvement.
Even the filler missions were good, not all of them, but still and the older games had plenty of replayability.
Gonna pirate this when CPY or whatever group propers it, not spending money on inferior products. That's my opinion and I stand by it.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
The maps being bigger is the only improvement.
The maps aren't bigger, they are just fucking BETTER. Again, you are proving yourself as a retard who has never played Hitman 2016 or knows how it works or what the missions are like. Sapienza is better than anything in Hitman 2 alone, due to the sheer size, quality, opportunities for killing targets, design, fucking everything. NOTHING compares. It's arguably the best Hitman mission ever.
Even the filler missions were good, not all of them, but still and the older games had plenty of replayability.
No, just about all of them were total shit.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Chaddy boy, calm down, you're gonna have a stroke and we don't want that now, do we?
You can "accident" everyone to death. So you get SA rating? So? That may be a flaw or a cool thing to do for whoever wants to spend enough time to do that. They didn't actually expect anyone to kill every single NPC on the map using the accident method. All the games have all sorts of exploits, especially games like this. No one bothered to advance the AI in videogames.

Aside from human shields (which worked just fine when you were out of syringes, if that happened) they removed blood trails (enemies could follow them and discover a body), the ability to look through keyholes (could have replaced with optical cable or mirror, or something else but something to allow you to see what's on the other side of a door and no, that shit instinct mechanic doesn't count), climbing through windows, climbing in general, dropping down, all without the need of a prompt, elevator roof climbing and chocking, hiding bombs/handguns in cakes and stuff (not sure if it's in 2016/2018 versions), no turning on or off the light switches (used as distractions), no weapon customization, no binoculars, fiber wire taking up an inventory slot, no newspaper article after a mission, no notoriety system, do I really have to go on? Again, all of these could have been kept, no need to remove them.

I agree, quantity does not equal quality and I do not advocate for it (quantity). However, just because you didn't like certain missions doesn't mean everyone else didn't either.
Hitman 2 Silent Assassin was permeated in all its missions by one thing besides quality and that is atmosphere backed up by the soundtrack.
As for the maps, they are bigger, there are accident opportunities every five feet so you can't possibly fail anything, challenges that tell you how to kill your target (unless you turn them off), Diana commenting on every way you can use to eliminate someone after being "revealed" (which you have to be in the proximity to overhear that, which means the world waits for you as the player to trigger it) etc. Look it has its good parts, I'm not saying all of it is bad, but just because it's new doesn't mean it's better.

The maps having more kill opportunities is a direct consequence of them being larger and varied. Some of the kills are indeed spectacular and well done, the designer's creativity shining through. No argument there.

You make a lot of assumptions about what I played or didn't. Don't. You don't know the person on the other end of the line. You have plenty of real life opportunities to flex your muscles to impress. I don't think here and now is the right place or time to do that.

Anyway, I conclude that you really like these new iterations of Hitman. An opinion I can respect. Doesn't mean everyone has to like them as well.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
That may be a flaw or a cool thing to do for whoever wants to spend enough time to do that. They didn't actually expect anyone to kill every single NPC on the map using the accident method. All the games have all sorts of exploits, especially games like this. No one bothered to advance the AI in videogames.
It's a flaw. The issue is that accident deaths mean you can kill innocents and guards without any sort of penalty. Get detected? Just go run up to him, knock him out and throw him down a railing. In Hitman 2016 they changed it so you still get non-target kill penalties for accidents. This is objectively better for a stealth game.
Aside from human shields (which worked just fine when you were out of syringes, if that happened)
The issue is that I never used sedative syringes unless I wanted to poison donuts in A New Life or that fucking dog in You Better Watch Out. Human shielding is pointless in Hitman 2016 because you now have subdue, so the only use for using it is to go into combat. Something you shouldn't do to begin with.
they removed blood trails (enemies could follow them and discover a body),
I heard they are back in Hitman 2.
the ability to look through keyholes (could have replaced with optical cable or mirror, or something else but something to allow you to see what's on the other side of a door and no, that shit instinct mechanic doesn't count),
Except I always just used my map instead if I wanted to know if someone was on the other side, and that feature was practically pointless as a result.
climbing through windows, climbing in general, dropping down, all without the need of a prompt
Not a upside or a downside, promptless climbing was often annoying and I'd have to jiggle around before it would actually register and go through the window.
elevator roof climbing and chocking
Hitman 2016 doesn't have elevators on any levels yet as far as I can recall.
hiding bombs/handguns in cakes and stuff (not sure if it's in 2016/2018 versions),
You can conceal items in trash bins and some other places across the map, you also now have the briefcase which you can plant a bomb in.
no turning on or off the light switches (used as distractions),
That's in the game and there are a variety of other distractions like overflowing faucets and breaking generators.
no weapon customization
Fair enough.
no binoculars
I don't think I ever used them once.
fiber wire taking up an inventory slot
Not a downside and who cares because it's about giving you options, fiber wire has a distinctive upside compared to other melee weapons you can put in your slots and is required for some challenges.
no newspaper article after a mission
Fair enough, but not something that really ever made a difference for me in gameplay. I remember the SLP .40 pistol in Blood Money having 3 different calibers. The name suggests it uses the .40 S&W cartridge, the menu info says it's .45 ACP but if you use it as your primary gun in a mission the newspaper says that 9mm cartridges were found on the scene. Always something that bugged me.
no notoriety system
It was kind of a shitty mechanic. Having a chance to just be detected randomly and ruin a otherwise perfect mission is just trash design, assuming that ever even happened because if you got like 1-3 witnesses you'd just pay 50k to get it back to 0.
these could have been kept, no need to remove them.
Well, I refuted all of them. At best they were unnecessary, at worst they were shit mechanics to begin with.
Hitman 2 Silent Assassin was permeated in all its missions by one thing besides quality and that is atmosphere backed up by the soundtrack.
Contracts had better atmosphere. Being very generous, only about 10 missions were decent in SA.
there are accident opportunities every five feet so you can't possibly fail anything
Oh no, IO made the mission more replayable and interesting with a multitude of options to get the job done. How fucking awful. Grasping at straws here.
Look it has its good parts, I'm not saying all of it is bad, but just because it's new doesn't mean it's better.
No, it is flat out better. I have played every Hitman game other than Hitman 7, and I can say that Hitman 2016 is arguably the best Hitman game to date in pure mission quality.
You make a lot of assumptions about what I played or didn't. Don't. You don't know the person on the other end of the line.
So tell me before commenting, you dumb fuck. Have you played it? If you haven't, you aren't in any position to provide criticism for it.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I played it once, got SA, a few unlocks (which were online only), it didn't interest me in the slightest, gave it way more attention than it deserved, uninstalled, been watching a few youtube videos about the new one, maybe gonna try it sometime.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I just watched a review from some youtuber,he tried to praise the game but his video showed a lot.

In 2.50-3.05 is particularly showing of lets say the AI. Also i gathered that there are only six maps and the game is story based and connected to the last few game. There was something about organizations,shadow clients,syndicates and similar shit. Yeah i plated the games for the hitman experience not the chosen one :roll:,don't give a two shits about arching story lines and global conspiracy. Ahhh the good old times,two story missions and 10-15ish missions about killing random dudes. Also the personal stories of the client and the target were cool.

It seems like a hard miss to me. Would like to hear your opinion on the game tho.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
"There was something about organizations,shadow clients,syndicates and similar shit. Yeah i plated the games for the hitman experience not the chosen one :roll:,don't give a two shits about arching story lines and global conspiracy. Ahhh the good old times,two story missions and 10-15ish missions about killing random dudes."

What are you a fucking retard. From the very first game the Hitman series has always been about being a super special assassin that was genetically engineered as part of a secret program to create the chosen one.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
"There was something about organizations,shadow clients,syndicates and similar shit. Yeah i plated the games for the hitman experience not the chosen one :roll:,don't give a two shits about arching story lines and global conspiracy. Ahhh the good old times,two story missions and 10-15ish missions about killing random dudes."

What are you a fucking retard. From the very first game the Hitman series has always been about being a super special assassin that was genetically engineered as part of a secret program to create the chosen one.

Nobody is arguing that,the old games were about assasinating people because somebody wanted them dead not because they are part of evul organization and you have save the world from them. Just watched/skimmed a walktrough and there was an intro to mission where you have to kill owners of weapon developing company.In the old games you would have been hired by some sleazy weapon dealer to kill the competition,now he is ordered "hired" to off them because they leave some retarded organization and are evul war criminals :roll:. I want to play as hitman not a fucking warrior for justice!

EDIT:LoL i just saw that the game is less than 5 hours.....
:shredder:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been playing all night and I'm having a blast. On master the stealth feels just right, and I love how punishing it is when you mess up. The firefights are actually fun too when you reach FUBAR level of messing up, and well, I have died in every firefight I ended up in. Last fight I got two shotgun slugs in my back from a flanking enemy :)

Weapons feels really damn deadly!

Anyhow. It's just a cozy game to play. Sneaking around, listing in on people, drowning them when they are puking from rat poison etc etc. Many moments are hilarious, scripted or just from gameplay. Like when I was walking on a ledge and one guard saw me and screamed out; "Don't do it homes, you got so much to live for". I'm glad the voice actors are as ridiculous as they were in the first nuHitman. Having the whole first game in this too is also a real nice bonus I must say.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know if it was such a good idea to wipe off all the mission progress when handing out the free Legacy pack for Hitman 2016 owners. Now I'm tempted to go through the previous game's missions again, before buying the new missions.

drgames

Scholar
Looks like the global leaderboards are already filled with cheaters. According to the leaderboards, usually the best players finished the mission within one minute.
There was something about organizations,shadow clients,syndicates and similar shit.
It is the classic hitman story : organizations, illuminati, corruption and diane's lust for 47.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Recorded a short gameplay video. Think it captures the tension and the hilarity of the NPCs perfectly.

Really like the game. Still stuck on the cartel map after about 15 tries. Keep getting murdered :)

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Recorded a short gameplay video. Think it captures the tension and the hilarity of the NPCs perfectly.

Really like the game. Still stuck on the cartel map after about 15 tries. Keep getting murdered :)

I guess English with accents is still better than everyone speaking American. Is it the same in the other missions?

Vibalist

Arcane
I'm kinda disappointed my unlockables don't carry over from 1. What, am I supposed to grind through the same levels again just so I can unlock a sniper rifle? And a LOCKPICK?? Pfeh.

Honestly, I think this game would benefit from giving you access to a wide variety of tools and weapons from the get go, instead of this grind bullshit.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just in case someone is out of the loop, if you own Season 1 on Steam and you launch Hitman 2 free prologue, it will detect Season 1 in your library and start downloading the Legacy Pack, meaning you can play all Season 1 with updated Season 2 graphics and mechanics just with the H2 free prologue.

Jinn

Arcane
Just in case someone is out of the loop, if you own Season 1 on Steam and you launch Hitman 2 free prologue, it will detect Season 1 in your library and start downloading the Legacy Pack, meaning you can play all Season 1 with updated Season 2 graphics and mechanics just with the H2 free prologue.

Does this work even if you don't own the entire first season and only a couple episodes?

AwesomeButton

Patron
The Hitman 2 free prologue is the same two missions that came free with Hitman 2016 right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom