Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hollow Knight

torpid

Liturgist
New Friends – Grimm’s clan may appear scary but they aren’t all bad. Get ready to befriend a new bunch of weirdos, including one who offers a very special service for players flush with Geo!

The game could definitely use a money sink. I wonder what it'll be.

Ivan

Arcane
got my new pc. been wanting to try this out. should I wait for the DLC? IDK how the game is structured, but is this planned to be a standalone expansion, or just a new area of the main map?

hajro

Arbiter
Its just some extra content in the overall game world, the 1st major expansion is going to be a new character with a different skillset and playthrough differences probably.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
Map Markers – In a world as big as Hallownest finding your way is the greatest challenge of all, and you’ll now have an extra tool in your cartographic journeys with custom Map Markers! Place them anywhere on your maps to remember a point of interest, a difficult foe or an item just out of reach.

Well I'll be damned.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cool. I admit, in the end i felt kinda tired of it. 40+ hours spent for a genre that is usually 20 hours long a single campaign. The game is good overall, kinda overstayed its welcome, but enjoyable and reasonay challenging.

RuySan

Augur
Beat the game one hundo the other day. Great game - but isn't the art style, the voices and the theming a bit off-putting? Everything is obviously of high quality, but it is as if it is trying to appeal to an immature niche, it's infantilized. Makes me feel like a degenerate for playing it.

Did none of you suckas play IWBTG? White Palace was way too short, what was there should have been just the introduction to the level.

The art style and theme are great. What did you want? Something "gritty" and "realistic"?

Ivan

Arcane
just started my virgin playthrough. after 3 hours of, this is me:
200.webp

game is fucking gorgeous. music is great. You can attack up and down. your life recovery + mana use the same resource.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I saw there was a new free update to the game. Anyone have any experience with that yet? Can I play the stuff without having to replay the game?

Wulfstand

Prophet
Bought a controller the other day just so I could play this + Cuphead and I have to say that I'm really happy I chose to focus on Hollow Knight first.

HansDampf

Arcane
New update: http://teamcherry.com.au/hollow-knight-lifeblood-has-launched/

HOLLOW KNIGHT: LIFEBLOOD HAS LAUNCHED!
Ari | 20 April, 2018 | Uncategorized

Hollow Knight: Lifeblood has now launched free for all Windows, Mac & Linux players!

Descend into a kingdom refined, tweaked and optimised in Hollow Knight’s free major update, Lifeblood.

Lifeblood Update Features:

• A brand new boss with a new music track by Chris Larkin!
  • One boss has been seriously upgraded. A true challenge awaits!
  • Custom Map Markers are here! Cartographers rejoice!
  • Extras added to the Extras menu!
  • Numerous game balances and tweaks.
  • Now playable in Japanese.
  • Various bug fixes.
  • Additional sound effects and voices.
  • Optimisations and performance enhancements.
For Steam and GOG Galaxy users, your game will automatically update to include the new Lifeblood content.

Humble and GOG DRM free users can download an updated version in the next 24 hours, from their humble/GOG link (Lifeblood builds are going up now).

Hollow Knight: Lifeblood represents many months of under-the-hood improvements, and we’re far from over! Free Content Pack 3: Gods & Glory is coming together as we speak, and is shaping up to be the largest pack yet! Lots more still to come!

While we’re at it, we do have to share one incredible piece of fan work, this stupendous Grimm Troupe comic by polyvolchant and Eggroyalty over on Tumblr:

comic.jpg

We don’t know if this talented pair have a recording device in our office, but they’re channelling the Grimm/Nymm narrative so darn well it’s creeping us out! Click the image to head over and read Part 1.

That’s it today everyone. Short Update. Play Lifeblood. Thank you for all the continued stunning art/stories/speed-runs/lore-videos. Be excellent to each other!

TC out! ;)

I still have some unfinished business in steel soul mode. This might be a good reason to get back into it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Playing this again after playing nudoom made me realize how brilliant the health system is in this. Being on one hitpoint in a dangerous area or fight and having to land some hits to heal up is a great way to make things tense. Being tied to mana is even better, I often end a fight wounded and low on mana because I panicked and used a fireball to finish it safely.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I finished the game yesterday at 80% completion. Got the bad ending, but nothing compared to Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee's. I think the best thing it took from Dark Souls was its cast of characters with little to say, but with a lot of personality. Really underrated aspect of the Souls series (which dates back to King's Field).

To be honest, I can't tell whether I liked this game or not. I don't think I'll ever replay it. Part of it is because "exploration" is only rewarded in the way of places to see. And I can't say I was too fond of the artstyle of the game, that is, its handpainted look. I agree with Unkillable Cat in that attacking from above is by far the best tactic you can use in 95% of situations, with major exceptions being boss battles. It sucks that from beginning to end, my Knight just basically got stronger but was essentially doing the same shit he was doing since the beginning of the game: slash at the enemy. As your weapon gets stronger, you also lose the need to rely on combos, meaning you never really have to git gud™.

Maybe Metroidvanias just aren't my thing.

Okagron

Prophet
Honestly one of my favorite Metroidvanias of all time. Got 106%, just missing the Trial of Fools. Really excited for the Gods and Glory expansion because it's adding a much needed Boss Rush mode.

HansDampf

Arcane
It sucks that from beginning to end, my Knight just basically got stronger but was essentially doing the same shit he was doing since the beginning of the game: slash at the enemy.
What? Combat evolves with abilities you unlock like shadow dash, double jump, charged attacks, various spells and exotic charm combinations.

sullynathan

Arcane
It sucks that from beginning to end, my Knight just basically got stronger but was essentially doing the same shit he was doing since the beginning of the game: slash at the enemy.
What? Combat evolves with abilities you unlock like shadow dash, double jump, charged attacks, various spells and exotic charm combinations.
what he's saying is that when you git gud you stop using shit like spells, charged attacks, and mostly focus on hitting the attack button and mixing in jumps here and there

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah, the same thing applies to the benefits of exploring. You don't just get to see new areas, you get totally new abilities.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom