Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Homeworld 1 & 2 Remastered coming Feb 25th.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Gearbox; Homeworld

Gearbox's Remastered verision of Homeworld 1 & 2 is due to be released on February 25th. This version updates the games to allow for easier installation on modern operatings systems and includes some graphical improvements.

hiver

It also includes some additions to the game(s) like ...expansions and other content. Im not sure are those secondary additions except official expansions some good mods that got included or what.

Severian Silk

I pre-ordered. I'm to get my mods to work with the remaster.

Severian Silk

I'm not really impressed with the 'updated' graphics. They don't have the smoothness of the originals. And the color scheme seems to make more use of HW2's ugly oranges and yellows. But whatever.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
All Gearbox can do is recycle their old games and pump out more iterations of Borderlands.

hiver

Hope they did something better with that obnoxious third or fourth map in the second one, with those swarms of shitty blocks that you can destroy only with laser frigates and even if you re-purpose your whole army into them - it still takes a fucking tonnes of time to end it because you must move the Mothership slowly over the whole fing map... if they dont blow it up first. Which they tend to do often.

hiver

some good stuff in there, good improvements to ships too.

Quatlo

Arcane

some good stuff in there, good improvements to ships too.

They really put a lot of thought and effort into that, I'm really surprised.
Also, I fucking love how the taidan look, plus being able to play all 4 races in multiplayer?

I was sceptical but now its :d1p:

hiver

Looks good indeedy... with some better improved fights, maybe a new map or two, some mods... could be good.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have never played the originals, and even then I realized I was missing something.
If the remastered collection is cheap enough, I might decide to forget that I have a kid to raise and buy the thing.

Raapys

Arcane
Wow, they've really done a lot of work with this. Really looking forward to replaying HW1 now.

hiver

There is an wot i think article on RPS by that moron Meer, who is obviously too stupid to get how the controls work and blames the game for it, but otherwise confirms that its looks great and plays good. Whatever that means - because sure as hell he doesnt know anything about any fucking details whatsoever to say anything but that "its good!".

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It's out. Initial codex reception is lukewarm at best, with many declaring it to be shit. Whiskywolfs copypasta summed it up well:

So far I have found so many issues with the game specially on hw1 I decided to make a list where people need to put good explanations of their bugs:

so list:
capturing frigates on mission 3 fails to give you back the captured ships.

because the physics (ballistic) system is not being used gearbox modified all the unit stats and balance around the RNG system, meaning ships like destroyers are hard countering frigates, ships move weirdly.
I did warn people about this change, but everyone said it was not a big deal... now you are seeing the consequences.

Multiple queues are limited to 2, this broke balance further in hw1.

Support frigates needing to dock with ships means they cannot repair fast nor at long range nor actually support.

support frigates cannot hyperspace while carrying strike craft.

Formations are completely broken (they are not working at all) this also is because the game is using RNG instead of ballistic system.

capturing carriers or alike will not allow you to build ships with them.

because they are using triggers instead of game mechanics capturing resource collectors on missions where you have to destroy them, will consider them as alive and keep giving resources ad infinitum to carriers to magically keep popping fighters or frigates.

capturing ships sometimes will make them pop out ships from the enemy team (carriers).

the special ability keys mostly do NOT work with bandbox selection, this includes salvage frigates (and pretty much means its a pain to use them).

because ships aren't taking onto account collision paths on the asteroids missions fighters will not evade asteroids and will get massively crushed.

friendly ships keep attacking ships that are already being hold by enough salvage corvettes meaning they often destroy your prey.

shift+click for queuing fast 5 on 5 ships does not work.

there seems to be an arbitrarily low strike craft build limit active?

The UI ships icons are night impossible to clearly identify what do you have selected.

the mouse seems to be lagging (is it hardware accelerated?)

salvage corvettes suddenly seem able to easily capture enemy corvettes (this is because it seems... evasion mechanics were disabled because they do not affect the RNG system) so they fly linearly and just get clamped easily.

salvage corvettes are not showing their capture beam animation.

the camera zooming out seems to be limited so much you cannot have a good view of the battles unless you go into tactical view which...

tactical view Is broken.

the game randomly crashes on missions 4/5

missing select unused harvesters button.

gearbox did it on purpose but why research needs to cost resources at all? it could have been left to work just like hw1, this seems to be an unnecessary change.

anyone else with bugs and issues to report? I suggest you post them here. along with the support system of gearbox.
This is a totally different game. Thank God I still have all 3 of my original three HW games on discs.

So... yeah. At least the remakes also include the original versions of the game. So skip the popamole new shit and play the originals. Better ai, better balance, less crashing, actual ballistics model instead of a RNG deciding if yo uhit.

DraQ

Arcane
So... yeah. At least the remakes also include the original versions of the game. So skip the popamole new shit and play the originals. Better ai, better balance, less crashing, actual ballistics model instead of a RNG deciding if yo uhit.
Did vanilla HW2 have ballistic model?
If not I retract all my statements regarding it containing mechanical improvements over HW1.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Although I would consider
Support frigates needing to dock with ships means they cannot repair fast nor at long range nor actually support.
and
research needs to cost resources
Improvements.

Possibly
capturing carriers or alike will not allow you to build ships with them.
Given that salvettes did need a nerf and Taiidan carrier might not have the tech to produce Kushan units (although it would be even nicer to be able to produce the other side's unit versions with captured carrier - fuck the nerf then).

The rest is pure bork, although some are cosmetic:
salvage corvettes are not showing their capture beam animation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom