Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Homeworld 3 from Blackbird Interactive - now on Fig

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by LESS T_T, Aug 20, 2019.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Fig: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/homeworld3

Show Spoiler
    :necro:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2019
    • decline decline x 4
    • Excited! Excited! x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    At one hand I'm excited, at another I'm sure it will be locked to Epic so fuck them.

• Despair Despair x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    Considering how mediocre Desserts of Kharak was (and dead on arrival) I wonder....

Seriously, the first HW was an amazing stroke of luck for the devs, HW2 was a mess and Cataclysm was a better HW2 despite being managed by a bunch of dangerhair apologists.

In short, who the fuck cares

And this makes me care even less

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Mostly because of doing ground based game and not actually homeworld. Game was initially pitched as kind of homeworldish game and then later they got full license from Gearbox but they couldn't change design of game.

I just hope they will take cues from Homeworld 1 instead of 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. circuit breaker Literate

circuit breaker
    Judging by how Homeworld 2 turned out, I doubt any team but the original one at Relic at the time has the vision and design skills to pull off another game of HW1 calibre. So I'm hoping this announced game is a game in the Homeworld universe, but with some unique twist like Homeworld: Cataclysm, which was original albeit somewhat buggy.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Carceri Arcane

Carceri
    Teaser for an announcement...Do you guys not have phones?! :P

^ Top  
  7. Raapys Arcane

Raapys
    Even an average game in this genre would be welcome though, seeing as not even indies really touch it.

^ Top  
  8. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Don't give Randy money.

• Yes x 8
    • Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Quatlo Arcane

Quatlo
    There is no fucking way they could keep ANY of the parts that made HW unique.
    At best they will keep the shitty level-scaling system in place so you die in cutscenes if you do too well. :despair:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. McPlusle Learned

McPlusle
    Please no. I really want this "classic franchise revival" meme to die already. It's only made everything worse.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. underground nymph Novice

underground nymph
    Actually Deserts was quite good, can’t get this whining. Given these guys already proofed they understand what HW is all about I’m quite exited.

• Agree x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Berekän I hate China Patron

Berekän
    [​IMG]

ITZ COMING

• Excited! Excited! x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    Ohhhhhh boy. Angel Moon, niggers!

lol, don't give a fuck. It's homeworld.

And Kharak definately had the old magic.

Frigate lost.

• Disagree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. karoliner Erudite

karoliner
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Stream is live:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    ^ Top  
  16. Berekän I hate China Patron

Berekän
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. CyberModuled Learned

CyberModuled
    So I guess it's basically a glorified pre-order page for $50 (also no specifics on Steam or Epic yet so :P

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    • decline decline x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. karoliner Erudite

karoliner
  21. Sinatar Arbiter

Sinatar
    "The game is fully funded by gearbox, the fig is just a fun survey" from the fig video. It's also Epic Store exclusive so they are getting a payout from that.

If you give money to this, you are beyond stupid.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. SecondAmendment Educated

SecondAmendment
    I don't get the hate for HW2. I bought it Day 1, finished it with the insane fleet scaling difficulty (6 battleceuisers coming at you at once is pretty awesome), and it is one of my favorite games due to the excellent atmosphere, pacing, story, and challenge. I regret the difficulty being lowered to the degree it was, but I do think most players get really sad at fleet wipe. I know I did, but I knew it just required better play so I dealt and overcame. Some levels are badly designed, the gateway rescue in particular. That wasn't ever fixed, sadly.

I did enjoy Kharak, but it wasn't that great a game. More of a side story and if I didnt love the HW universe I wouldn't have bothered. It just isn't HW, but it does have HW-esque trappings and that was enough to give me pleasure.

Gearbox can eat a bag of dicks if they expect me to give them money in advance for an Epic exclusive. They dont need my fucking money; they aren't an independent short of cash. Or maybe they are? Either way, I'm OK with holding off to give Steam my money or just buy the thing off Humble or GOG or something. No reason at all to give money this early.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    I'm sorry

THIRTEEN BATTLECRUISERS

Sure, you can find it fun, but for most people it was a boring slog and it even fucked up the balance of some missions

The athmosphere is confusing (a shitton of retcons that make Cata seem like a work of narrative art) the pacing is wildly off, the story dumb and the challenge is ok... I guess? Some missions are creative I have to admit, and in theory HW2 has some better mission design than HW1. The problem is that HW2's story is a delirious hack job of pieces thrown together by a massacred original version (the entire plotline of HW2 was heavily rewritten as the game run into development problems) and it commits the sin of FORCED MYSTICISM and FORCED EMOTION. HW1 didn't need to try to artificially create pathos: HW2 costantly tries to make the player care and costantly fails.

The Gateway rescue shows how the autobalancing fucked up heavily with mission design. Bad playtesting on that one, by itself the mission should not be bad. After playing it at release and after the fix, I'll freely admit that the fixes are good, the original THIRTEEN BATTLECRUISERS is good only for a specific player niche.

You honestly nail it, Kharak without the HW name bolted on it would have been ignored by everyone. It's mediocre. Even as a storyfag it's HW2 lite: a messy confusing plotline dumped on a game that didn't particularly blend with it well.

:salute::salute::salute:

Regarding HW3, they don't deserve money, and one has to realize that HW1 was already sorta of a miracle and the lucky convergence of random elements. They'll never manage to do it again and they'll fuck up the story without doubt (HW being interestingly enough a storyfag RTS, that's important). Considering the Remastered versions, they'll fuck up the gameplay. Also, why the fuck the devs have this endless hard on since HW2 for Karan S'jet, she was merely Fleet Command in HW1 and had no particular relevancy to the overall plot, who the fuck cares and it's spaceship tiddies that should make me care

Fuck Gearbox

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. SecondAmendment Educated

SecondAmendment
    Sorry, I forgot the exact number of battle cruisers. It was still epic. As for forced emotion, I guess it wasn't too forced for me since it worked? The Bentusi was a bit WTF, and I agree with you that the Karen S'Jet thingies just stupid and smacks of SJW. The big reveal in the ending is also stupid. However, I loved how the Higaaran religion turned out to be at least partially true. The parts with ancient myths was very cool.

I think everyone can agree that HW1 was a miracle. It hit at a perfect time, had unique elements, and is a classic. Cataclysm was a better game, and the best of the HW series. HW2 is flawed, but if Gearbox manages something of that caliber it will be pure incline. Kharak was at best an homage and at worst a cash grab. Khatak wasn't exactly bad, but what I enjoyed didn't include the gameplay. Must do better.

Oh, and HW and Cataclysm had epic manuals. Still have mine. I submit that losing paper manuals caused developers to get lazy on world-building and attention to detail. The voice acting, cut scenes, music, visuals, and the manual of HW added up to an immersive, emotional experience.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Bought the pack incluiding the remaster and DoK, for 8 euros on steam. Pretty good deal.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)