Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HOMM5 Leaked

The full version of Heroes 5 has leaked to pirate networks two weeks before its release in stores.

I've already got it preordered in full and thus have no ethical qualms about downloading the release (of course, me having ethical qualms period = lol).

If anyone has questions or wants to hear about the game, fire away.

gromit

Arcane
I'm assuming there's some non-campaign scenarios included... do any of them seem to have stories, like in past games, or are they simply of the "multiplayer-tuned" variety? The only example of what I'm talking about, off the top of my head, is the one in II where you're a castleless wizard trying to regain his kingdom... I have vague recollections of another, of the "go kill the necromancer at the end of the gauntlet" persuasion, as well. I think I ultimately had more fun with these stand-alone missions than with the campaign itself, and I'd hate to see them pulled out in favor of solely mirrored, or "assymetric yet equal," MP maps (which are admittedly still important.)

Also, any sign of a map editor?

vazquez595654

Arbiter
I played the demo for 2 seconds. The game feels bloated. Kind of like civ 4. Absolutely no reason to be a 3d game. Although I like civ 4 more.

Balor

Arcane
I recall that map editor is being given the final tweaks and will be released with a patch or something.
They say it's a rather powerful too.

Spazmo said:
Question 1: How does it feel to sin?
As good as ever. Halfway between the first cigarette of the day and stealing candy from a minority's baby.

wallace said:
I'm assuming there's some non-campaign scenarios included... do any of them seem to have stories, like in past games, or are they simply of the "multiplayer-tuned" variety?
I'll have to get back to you on that, I've only messed around with the campaigns so far.

Also, any sign of a map editor?
Nope. But like Balor said, it was never intended to make release anyway.

Ok wallace, I just checked for you regarding scenarios:

The games comes with six stand-alone story-based maps and it looks like eight maps marked as 'multiplayer' (which are just straight up skirmish, I assume).

There are also six campaigns, one for each town type.

Yeah, definitely not as much as 3 at release and just a little bit less than 2 at release.

One obnoxious point: the campaigns have to be played in order, and they are town-specific. So if you want to play the Wizard campaign, for instance, you have to complete all the other five towns' campaigns first, because the Wizard happens to be last in line.

Balor

Arcane
Hmm, that's bad - I would sertainly wanted to skip to Wizard campain myself... oh well, it worked for Starcraft, I guess it will work out there as well, heh.

Jinxed

Liturgist
Bah. It's going to be at least a 2 weeks before I'm going to get my pc. After that, I'm buying 5 cases of beer, 10 kg of chips and nailing down the windows/doors.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Did you try the demo? I almost fell asleep during it, somehow the game felt boring and lifeless for me. Maybe I'll give it another try but right now I'm keeping my $ and going back to Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom.

Atrokkus

Erudite
I think Kraken's question is more appropriate, because it seems that not all people share my opinion that Homm3 is the best of the series.

Anyways, as soon as it reaches our town, I'm just going to buy it and play with friends using Hot Seat mode, and see how it goes. If it's fun -- the game's good, if it's gonna be "meh", then fuck it...

obediah

Erudite
metallix said:
I think Kraken's question is more appropriate, because it seems that not all people share my opinion that Homm3 is the best of the series.

They are either retarded, or King's Bounty elitists. :)

I agree with vazquez - from the demo, it looks like a 40MB game trapped in a 3GB body. I didn't see any benefit from the 3D, and it made several things more difficult.

Kraken

Scholar
I agree fully that HoMM3 is the superior one. I still have it installed, but HoMM4 I haven't had on my HD for quite some time. That's why I asked really, to see which game it resembles the most. I don't really want a HoMM3 clone either, just more elements from that game I suppose.

A HoMM game is a game that doesn't need 3d at all, especially from adventure mode. However, given the praise Oblivion was given for its graphics, I think reviews would automatically subtract 20 points if the game had been 2d. Etherlords was 3d, and it worked pretty well if I remember correctly. In fact, that was Nival also. Does HoMM5 use the same engine as Etherlords 2? Or an upgraded version if that is the case.

Oarfish

Prophet
The graphics and animations do look quite a bit like Etherlords, yep. Which is no bad thing, I really liked the combat in etherlords.

Only about 1/2 way through the knight campaign and it plays pretty well, more like Homm4 than 3 though unfortunately.

The Exar

Liturgist
My first oppinon: the game isn't a failure. The thing i most disliked is that the Haven champaign is a sort of tutorial and therefore is extremely easy and somehow boring. The graphic is spectacular and is just what I need for such kind of games. The creatures art is also well done.
The bad news is that the towns suck! I don't care if they are 3D - the architecture of Haven towns is good at first look, but the buildings are bad and its not colorfull enough. Grey and light brown dominates. Im' sure the other towns have the same issues.

The good news - the heroes skills and abbilities are reworked for good. I'm not going to explain in details, but a hero can have up to 5 skills, each skill with 3 unique abbilities. Each skill has 3 levels. The abbilities have only one. The Knight class (the one I'm familiar with) appears to have no crappy or unnecesary skill/abbilities.
The hardcore fans will notice many old skills are dropped out and new have appeared.

For now, I just can't stop thinking about the game (and playing it).

tetsuo

Scholar
mini review:
Holy cow! I'm so impressed with this title I don't even know where to start.

They have in one fell stroke managed to remove everything that made this series great. While at the same time making it completely impossible to get into with one of the most unintuitive interfaces I have had the misfortune to have seen.

The interface is extremely slow. Hover over a unit 2-3 seconds before a box appears which only contains the unit's name, then you have to right click to get the real info that you actually need.

The town interface, once it actually loads, wich takes several seconds. Is incredibly clumsy and poorly designed. Everything is controlled by an extremely console feeling menu, where again, if you want to find out what anything does you have to mouseover it 2-3 seconds to get the description up. Theres no unified menu system like in the previous games, there are no buttons anywhere on the dialogue you are actually working with, it's all on a little menu totally detached from what you are actually doing. Very unintuitive.
City upgrades are controlled from a menu with no controls on it, and there's nothing telling you what you are doing in the interface, you click something in the menu, it doesn't light up or get clearly marked, so you have to guess that you clicked it, and then either left click it again randomly for a while to get something to happen, or click one of the extremely un-informative buttons in the main menu thing.

The world interface is complete crap since you can now control the camera, and nothing is clearly marked any more, so trying to figure out what's what on the world map is very tricky. And large objects tend to always end up right infront of the camera so you can't see anything.
The underground world map is even worse. There are stalagtites hanging down in front of the camera covering everything up, and the tunnels are extremely narrow. So you can't actually see anything because there's always something covering the camera completely, be it a rock wall or a stalagtite.

The old games also had little sounds, animations and highlights to virtually everything you did in the game. You never had to think: "hmm, did that button actually get clicked?". All that is gone, there is no feedback at all to the game any more, half the time since the interface is so slow, you don't know if what you did had any effect.

The combat has been dumbed down to sub-console levels as well. The old Hexagon tiles are gone, replaced by a normal square tile setup, so you have much less tactical options already with only 4 possible directions to move in. Then they've added a bar at the bottom showing in what order the units will act. And they've totally removed the hero's usefulness by giving him an attack, but making him act as a normal unit in the combat, so no longer can you cast a spell with the hero at any time to aid your units in combat, he can only attack or cast when it's his turn. And his attack is less than impressive, easily outdamaged by a few low level units, sure it can be upgaded, but I'd rather have my old useful hero back thanks.
They've also managed to hide the "wait" option in combat very well, there's only a button for defend, which skips that turn with that unit. To wait you have to press "W" on the keyboard, something you have to mouseover the defend button for 2-3 seconds to get the tooltip up to find out.

Graphically the game is also less than impressive, with a 3D engine that looks 3-4 years out of place. Roughly on par with Warcraft 3. If they feel the need to destroy the 2D graphics that have worked perfectly since the first game, they could have at least done it with style, not with some outdated old 3D engine.
Animations might be this games only good point, as they are very well done and extremely smooth. But what good is that if you can't see them because there's a huge stalagtite covering the camera?

And I almost forgot to mention the multiplayer maps. There are about ten of them, no random maps, which has been one of the strongest points of the last two games. And the maps that are available are very static, you can't change almost any of the settings, can't change teams, the only two maps of the largest size don't have underground, and so on. Very uninspiring

Another great series gone down the tubes. These games have always been 2D, and have always worked flawlessly in 2D. And they've always had an extremely intuitive and easy to get into interface. There has never been much of a learning curve. And the combat has always been easy to get into, but hard to master with all the tactical options offered by the hero acting out of turn, untis waiting, and hexagonal movement. It's all gone.

Why they felt the urge to break everything that was good in the previous four games I don't know but there you have it. Skip this if you like Heroes of Might and Magic. Stay away, FAR away.

The Exar

Liturgist
The interface is extremely slow. Hover over a unit 2-3 seconds before a box appears which only contains the unit's name, then you have to right click to get the real info that you actually need.

Game Options

The town interface, once it actually loads, wich takes several seconds.

Poor machine. Actualy, the game optimization is great.

Is incredibly clumsy and poorly designed. Everything is controlled by an extremely console feeling menu, where again, if you want to find out what anything does you have to mouseover it 2-3 seconds to get the description up. Theres no unified menu system like in the previous games, there are no buttons anywhere on the dialogue you are actually working with, it's all on a little menu totally detached from what you are actually doing. Very unintuitive.

The interface isn't bad it's just different. First time it looked clumsy but now it's no problem for me.

City upgrades are controlled from a menu with no controls on it, and there's nothing telling you what you are doing in the interface, you click something in the menu, it doesn't light up or get clearly marked, so you have to guess that you clicked it, and then either left click it again randomly for a while to get something to happen, or click one of the extremely un-informative buttons in the main menu thing.

That's simply not right. Are you playing the beta?
No, seriosly, the issues you discribe are totaly absent on my computer. Again, check your options or GPU. I DON'T HAVE problems with the interface.

The world interface is complete crap since you can now control the camera, and nothing is clearly marked any more, so trying to figure out what's what on the world map is very tricky. And large objects tend to always end up right infront of the camera so you can't see anything.

Now here I can agree with you, but I still thing you are mean...

The underground world map is even worse. There are stalagtites hanging down in front of the camera covering everything up, and the tunnels are extremely narrow. So you can't actually see anything because there's always something covering the camera completely, be it a rock wall or a stalagtite.

I can't comment on that, but it's possible. Really, the 3D adventure map is tricky and sometimes hard to get on with.

They've also managed to hide the "wait" option in combat very well, there's only a button for defend, which skips that turn with that unit. To wait you have to press "W" on the keyboard..

Yep, should be changed.

Why they felt the urge to break everything that was good in the previous four games I don't know but there you have it. Skip this if you like Heroes of Might and Magic. Stay away, FAR away.

If interface and graphic are your only bad notes, then the game doesn't look so bad. I interested in your oppinion on the game rules, the heroes, the units and the races. I think thats more important.

P.S. Check Options->Game Options to change the tool tip delay.

P.P.S. i'm going to comment the combat later.

Balor

Arcane
Yea, we are familliar with that.
Extracts:

"OMG! THere are a lot of BUTTONS there! And they look different from heroes 3-4! I'm so confused I'm going to shoot myself".

"WTF? It runs too slow on my PC that run Heroes 3 perfectly (well, almost)!? Heresy!"

:roll:

"There are about ten of them, no random maps, which has been one of the strongest points of the last two games."
He dont' even knows what he's talking about.

Anyway, I don't have broadband now, so cannot judge, by based on my experience with beta and demo, the game is more then good.
And for '3D suxx!'... well, you might as well complain about lack of sprites in Doom 3 :P.

Atrokkus

Erudite
"There are about ten of them, no random maps, which has been one of the strongest points of the last two games."
He dont' even knows what he's talking about.
So you say it's there, or it isn't? Everything else is irrelevant to the question at hand.
If it really isn't there, then it means that NIval kept their head in the ass most of the devleopment cycle, as was expected, really.

And for '3D suxx!'... well, you might as well complain about lack of sprites in Doom 3
Well, at least judging from the screenshots, n-year old DIsciples 1-2 (not the new ones duh) had SO MUCH MORE style and technical finesse than this warcraft3 wannabe.

the hero-in-battle part ws one which I expressed concerns over back in the pre-production, when I was posting on their forum. Many other people did likewise, but Nival wouldn't listen. It's like, they wanted *some* change, *any* change there, just for the sake of changng... and well they couldn't think of anything actually better.

hexagons, too...damn, at least they could implemnet something like a radius-based combat, but *squares*? please...

Anyways, I will buy it and I will test it myself before passing *final* judgement (hehe), but I'm not very optimistic. Now, the bottom line is how the balance is maintained...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom