Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon's Gate - open world seafaring tactical RPG from Voidspire Tactics dev

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
did anyone find the town where Alvora is set yet?

i found the port where voidspire is set, but i don't think i found alvora yet.

edit: not voidspire setting exactly per se, but the port that got transported to the spire in the game's prologue. the merchant there even referenced the game.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
I think Alvora is set after Horizon's Gate
make sense because

the city of gold thing. it was intact in HG. i thought they just rebuilt it or it was a version of the city from the past like it was swallowed several hundred yrs before or something.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Alvora is set in Limroft, which is a separate realm from Eral (Horizon's Gate's setting).

I impulse bought the game because of jinn and hobo, so congrats eldiran, you beat up ori 2 and took his lunch money

: D
Why is

jasce statue and part of the city in alvora? I already forgot good chunk of the story but is alvora dimension hopping?

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Why is

jasce statue and part of the city in alvora? I already forgot good chunk of the story but is alvora dimension hopping?

If I recall correctly
Jasce statues aren't in Alvora, but it has a ton of statues of Miser-king Jarrod. If there are actually Jasce statues then either Jasce worshippers gated to Limroft or (more likely) I screwed up.

Machocruz

Arcane
Haven't been able to put much time in. Is what capital you invest in important to the story, or can I just go with who has the nicest banner? And is there a way to measure coordinates you are given, or do you just guestimate?

Empary

Scholar
Haven't been able to put much time in. Is what capital you invest in important to the story, or can I just go with who has the nicest banner? And is there a way to measure coordinates you are given, or do you just guestimate?
Try buying funi worm in port near center of map

Empary

Scholar
I went back to earlier save to 100% the game. I really think game could some "unique" fights like
the Army from Voidspire
and more "unique" locations. Nearly all Groves have same layout i.e. combat map + fossil map

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So seems game is good? Never played the other 2 games before, I have several question:

1. Is game mission-based like Fire Emblem?

2. Do the game have some narrative element or is it just open world sandbox like Battle Brothers?

3. Is there any non-combat skill elements (diplomacy, stealth) ?

V_K

Arcane
No.
2. Do the game have some narrative element or is it just open world sandbox like Battle Brothers?
A mixture of both. So far - I'm not very far in - it seems to prioritise sandbox, but there is a main quest and sidequests with handcrafted dungeons.
There's simple stealth (avoid enemies' view cones - but you need a skill to see them first), and a lot of combat skills and items could be used with environment in non-combat ways (use fire spell or bombs to burn wooden barriers, ice spell to freeze and walk on water etc.). No dialog checks.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
So seems game is good? Never played the other 2 games before, I have several question:

1. No exploration based. Open world.

2. It have overarching narrative final goal, but you aren't confined to them most of the time. There are several ways to achieve those goals i think

3. Not really. But the spells/skills are usable outside combat thay can be used to solve puzzle/reveal secret/create a path, etc. For example burning trees to create paths, using growth spell to grow a tree and extract infinite lumber, using growth spell on vines to create ladder etc.

Trash Player

Scholar
Done with the pirate fleet. The sailing takes it toll, there is simply way too much downtime between fights and dungeon diving. The whole porting and reputation jazz is too grindy to me, I only found one real dungeon that is more than a fight or two and then looting. Also easier than Alvora but enemy variety is high. My least favourite game of the series. Do not regret my d1p at all.
:d1p:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Just played it for a bit, the "intro" (as in before you get a boat) is really good but i like the sandbox part less.
The jrpg job/classes is also one of my least favorite feature.
Worst part is probably having to look at everything to get some cash.

Overall, i like it but it'd be so good if the engine evolved a bit and if it had more story elements and scripted events/fights (well, maybe there is more of it than i think).

Some questions though :
- Seems like outside of your 2 selected classes, the only benefit from the other ones are HP & MP, am i correct ? (or are weapon skills a permanent buff too ?)
- Is there some ways to respec everything at some point ?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Just played it for a bit, the "intro" (as in before you get a boat) is really good but i like the sandbox part less.

Overall, i like it but it'd be so good if the engine evolved a bit and if it had more story elements and scripted events/fights (well, maybe there is more of it than i think).

Some questions though :
- Seems like outside of your 2 selected classes, the only benefit from the other ones are HP & MP, am i correct ? (or are weapon skills a permanent buff too ?)
you can get a very rare item that add a 3rd class slot

V_K

Arcane
Depends. The values raised with stars carry on between classes. The class bonuses to skills, naturally, don't.
Another thing are passive abilities - you can equip them from any class you've unlocked.
Where can I see what status effects are doing? Some are self-explanatory but others are unclear what exactly they affect.
In the journal, the "help" tab.

Trash Player

Scholar

Some questions though :
Magic skills act as defence against the element too. You can change the XP slider to make levelling faster.
check the config.ini under C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\BoatTactics to unlock NG options.
Check out Voidspire Tactics for your towns and dungeons rpg.
Questions for Eldiran and others:

Where can I see what status effects are doing? Some are self-explanatory but others are unclear what exactly they affect.

Some skills and items have icons that are confusing, is there a description in words about what they are doing and how to use them? e.g. a weird item has both weapon and armor icons

Is there a way to "park" crew members?

What is the purpose of the swashbuckler's mug skill? Don't I already loot enemies after the battle anyway?
Check out the first tab of journal, that is the goal page, then click at the right arrow on the side. It is obscure. Corresponding the icons with charcter stat. Those weird items are augments on equipment, put the desired equipment on an anvil and put the augments inside. Hand items can hold 1 while armor can hold 2. You can dismiss crew member in tavern. Mug can be used to take consumables mid-fight.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I completed the game too and enjoyed it a lot too. I took notes and will eventually post a detailed review but it'll require more playtime and I need to find the time to play.

Regarding bugs, only one thing, more than once I got some game crashes with the "An object reference not set to an instance of an object" error message during my item forging sessions. I can't reproduce it at will so it's hard to be sure but I think it was when putting an item onto the anvil (in order to put a trigger stone into it).

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Is it true there's no grinding/re-spawning mobs?
Basically yes, every single land encounter is placed and often very unique (and fun, by the way).

If one would really want to nitpick I guess that technically sea monsters do respawn, but you don't have to fight them, and you can accept some monster den clearance quests which from what I've seen can be quite similar, but you really don't have to solve these quests either.

V_K

Arcane
Is it true there's no grinding/re-spawning mobs?
Basically yes, every single land encounter is placed and often very unique (and fun, by the way).
It's actually kinda weird, because, as Empary noted, some aspects of the game are extremely formulaic. Like, 90% of adventuring locations are groves with 1 combat map and 1 fossil map, but then both the combat encounters and the fossil description are handcrafted and never repeat. On the other hand, all the ports have unique layout and visual design, but very little, if any, unique content and only "radiant" quests. Some prominent land features, like the Wall or Shattered Land ultimately end up being just flavor, while nondescript rivers and islands may hold unique adventuring locations like the reef or the swamp (which are all very atmospheric and nicely designed, with a number of secrets and small puzzles).
I think there's a lot of missed opportunities here to flesh out the world by tying those groves to world map landmarks and giving them a unique layout, while adding a few NPCs to cities to dispense lore bits about those landmarks. And the royal questlines could be used to flesh out the relationships between the nations, because the way it is, only Jasce has a recognizable identity, while Rumane and Searthal are basically indistinguishable.
Unlike Trash Player, I enjoyed it more than Alvora, but Voidspire remains my favorite part of the series.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom