Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How about a sticky with some tips for newcomers?

Monocause

Arcane
Some people could become decent posters but they don't really know how to fit in. Providing them a couple of tips how to behave on their maiden Codex voyage would probably improve the quality of newfag posts and reduce the board's saturation with "sup drog" posts. Here's what I wrote just now in that thread in RPGD, for instance:

Since you seem to be somewhat reasonable here's a couple of pointers for your continued survival on the Codex:

1) Don't be apolegetic about being a newfag. Nobody likes that. This applies to Real Life™ too.

2) Don't start threads if you ain't got something really interesting to say. There's a multitude of HR threads where your OP would be passable as a post.

3) Don't try too hard. It's cool to be anti-establishment or anti-Codex and all but put it in your first post and there's a barrage of 'sup drogs' headed your way. A reasonable critique will always get you farther here than mindless bashing.

4) Generally think carefully about what you say and make good first impressions so that people take you seriously in the future. You'll have time for witty one-liners and mild trolling later. Just as 1), this also applies to Real Life™.
ProTip: contrary to popular belief spamming local memes or popular emotes doesn't make for decent first impressions.

5) Keep your grammar and spelling on an acceptable level. If you've a disability of some sort like dyslexia use a spelling checker. If you're a non-native English speaker, well, that's not really an excuse. At least a half of the people on these boards are non-native.

Thoughts?

Monocause

Arcane
Grunker said:
Trial by fire. Nothing else is good enough.

Oh, I'm quite sure that even an encyclopedia stickied with extremely accurate instructions wouldn't rule it out.

A sticky like that could help gentler beings to find their way around here for long enough to see how things work and grow some thicker skin.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's like dealing with sharks (or rapists), if you're letting people scent blood (see an exposed ankle) on your very first post then you shouldn't be in the water (wearing scanty clothing on the streets, you SLUT) in the first place.

At least, it used to be. I'm pretty sure the Codex is in apathy right now (except for Bioware threads).

Cowboy Dan

Educated
It's more like swimming with kittens than sharks, and you only dove in because they looked so pathetic you figured your girlfriend might be into a threesome if you saved enough of them from drowning.

Unwanted

Scream Phoenix

Unwanted
Not fair. I had to make use of my street smarts to survive so everyone should.

Dyspaire

Cipher
ron-swansons-pyramid-of-greatness.jpg

All you need to know for any situation, Codexian or otherwise.

That guy above looks like Cleve. Is it?

Anyway, while there is nothing wrong with the idea itself, I think it would be rather un-Codexian to give a helping hand to newcomers

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
racofer said:
Why don't you give them a thread compass as well?

Please make it. And direct them to threads with SMA's pics, AndhairaX inane questions and Prosper's subforum.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
This idea is so gay I thought Mantiis had posted it.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finding the Codex, registering, and being insulted by the established members and accused of being an alt is a rite of passage :rpgcodex:

Even I was accused of being an alt when I first started posting. By Andhaira.

laclongquan

Arcane
6) It's highly possible that your unfamiliarity with Codex style will lead to a post of yours showing your ass toward this crowd. Lots of buttsek will ensure. This is called Codex baptism. If you get butthurt then ragequit then you are not Codex material. If you grin and bear with it then you are only so so. Can survive but not memorable. However, if you can response right back, using words or phrases or comparisons that get older members hit the roofs... well, you will fit right in.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I say we quarantine all these shit newfags to a newfag forum and then have them prove their worth to post upon the prestigious RPG Codex.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
But how would we tear them apart for their stupid opinions then?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Jaesun said:
I say we quarantine all these shit newfags to a newfag forum and then have them prove their worth to post upon the prestigious RPG Codex.

And to prove their worth they will be stripped naked and given a leather loincloth along with a wooden spear.

A group of 10 at a time will be thrown into a pit and they will have to fight to their death. The one that lives will be granted access to our general forums.

All of that will be accompanied by this :obviously: theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dnZHea_TI0&t=1m48s

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
racofer said:
Jaesun said:

And to prove their worth they will be stripped naked and given a leather loincloth along with a wooden spear.

A group of 10 at a time will be thrown into a pit and they will have to fight to their death. The one that lives will be granted access to our general forums.

All of that will be accompanied by this :obviously: theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dnZHea_TI0&t=1m48s

I love you racofer. :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom