Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial How Diablo 3's endgame has failed

DraQ

Arcane
Diablo 3's endgame fails?

Bullshit! For me, it worked out perfect. With Diablo 2, I had to re-play it again and again, or on the higher difficulties. I was wasting so much time!
With Diablo 3, I finished the story once, and never touched the game again. More time to spend with my friends, work, etc.
Awesome, thanks for caring about my social life, Blizzard!
Worked even better for me - not a single minute played, not a single grosz wasted.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
Diablo 3's endgame fails?

Bullshit! For me, it worked out perfect. With Diablo 2, I had to re-play it again and again, or on the higher difficulties. I was wasting so much time!
With Diablo 3, I finished the story once, and never touched the game again. More time to spend with my friends, work, etc.
Awesome, thanks for caring about my social life, Blizzard!

As long as your having fun it doesnt matter, i dont regret the time wasted in D2 i had tons of fun most of it offline, in Diablo 3 i felt guilty after awhile, doing the same shit over and over again with same shit result, what the hell !

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm still just amazed that people can do it for so long. It's not even like World of Warcraft, where you grind shit so you can get equipment to grind harder areas. No, in Diablo 3 you grind shit for no reason at all. Just to hopefully get that lucky drop. You get to the very end of the content, and then grind the items. How the fuck does it make sense? It's not like there are is content that you need better items for. Some people sell items for money, but I'm sure it's not exactly worth it considering the amount of time you have to put in. The majority are people just pulling the slot machine lever over and over. The people making actual money are botting the shit out of the game, not playing it.

Nope, it's just people doing the same thing over and over and over to get items with cool names.
But maybe you can use it on one of your other characters? Oh wait, no, Auction House ruins that because you can get any item you want instantly so long as you can pay the price. I mean, Blizzard kept patching Diablo II with super-hard optional challenges as the years went on, plus expansions etc., so there was a reason to keep returning. It also had the benefit of loot that was actually interesting and could change your play-style, instead of moar DPS... so the game remained entertaining even after you'd played it a couple of times. Diablo III? All we've got so far is some balance changes, better drop rates, a /players 8 command, and... no PvP? No expansions in sight? No big content updates like MMOs do?

People do all sort of staff over and over for pathetic reasons... like gambling only to spend winnings on gambling:retarded:
The thing is D3 is the king of pathetic grind.
It's a very strange game... at the start it feels like it's fun and great but the more you play the more your opinion of d3 declines. can't exactly pinpoint the main reason, is it the loot or levels or game design? everything sucks in it's own way. It's very weird how everyone (at least most people) fails to see it's sheetness in a few first hours and thinks d3 great.
Probably because Diablo II had atmosphere, skill trees and attributes that required you to make choices and thus encouraged replaying, as well as loot that was more than just +stats and +DPS. Plus I think the randomly generated levels were actually, you know, kinda random... everything in Diablo III past act 1 is either exactly the same every single time beyond minor details, or a long, linear corridor.

Darkforge

Augur
Blizzard only sell so much due to their reputation. (which is quickly circling down the shitter) this includes the names of their "original" IP's. Soon everyone will realize those IP's are simply no longer good and without the creativity to come up with a new one say goodbye to Blizztard.

Stabwound

Arcane
But maybe you can use it on one of your other characters? Oh wait, no, Auction House ruins that because you can get any item you want instantly so long as you can pay the price. I mean, Blizzard kept patching Diablo II with super-hard optional challenges as the years went on, plus expansions etc., so there was a reason to keep returning. It also had the benefit of loot that was actually interesting and could change your play-style, instead of moar DPS... so the game remained entertaining even after you'd played it a couple of times. Diablo III? All we've got so far is some balance changes, better drop rates, a /players 8 command, and... no PvP? No expansions in sight? No big content updates like MMOs do?
Yeah, I don't get it. They've slowly been adding challenge bosses, but it's been pathetic so far. What the game could arguably really use is an endless dungeon that gets gradually tougher, making the need for grinding and getting better paragon levels and equipment worthwhile. For example, an ice-based boss that requires specific equipment to combat ice damage and output fire damage, or whatever. Shit like that.

MedianXL does this decently, but there's no reason why Blizzard couldn't do this in an amazing way. It would take relatively little effort to create an endless dungeon, really. I think the problem is that they want people to play through the acts normally, not grind specific areas.

A game like Diablo 3 needs an endless goal, or at least a very hard-to-reach one. At this point it doesn't... not at all.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
For me the level 60 cap was the sign of retardation and still bought it, i guess Diablo 2 was still strong in me.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
sad it turned out this way. when GW2 is easier to gear up than this (my guildmate's words, not mine)... you know something is sriously fucked up.

Gruia

Educated
D3 will be the death of Bliz. They should've pulled the plug a while ago. But no, they keep investing resources.
fine by me. i didn't like any of their games from 2000 on

Esquilax

Arcane
D3 will be the death of Bliz. They should've pulled the plug a while ago. But no, they keep investing resources.
fine by me. i didn't like any of their games from 2000 on

Huh? It's made a fuckton of money, which is a shame, because it's a game that was completely ruined by the fact that it was designed around soulless greed. If this is Blizzard's death knell, you certainly have a very strange and long-term view of what constitutes dying, bro.

Zeriel

Arcane
Diablo 3 paid for every game I've played for this year and then some. Purely on the basis of that, I have a hard time mustering any ill-will for it. I could maybe understand if Diablo 1 or 2 were some bastion of old-school roleplaying, but they were always an adulteration of action and RPG whose only purpose was to scratch that item acquisition and character-progression grind itch. It's there to play instead of an MMO, with no obligation, and with a 60$ reward after a night of playtime. Not really seeing the downside. Sure, it's not a job, but it's not a bad way of spending a mindless evening either.

DraQ

Arcane
Probably because Diablo II had atmosphere
Except it didn't - at least apart from cutscenes. That was one of the chief problems with it.
Plus I think the randomly generated levels were actually, you know, kinda random...
That's another "except not really". D2 used random generation to much lesser degree and with much less impact than D1. In D1 everything but last level, special levels (Chamber of Bone, Dark Passage, Leoric's Tomb and Lazarus' cathedral) and quest related parts of level layout (Halls of The Blind, that place where you find Arkaine's Valor, Butcher's Chamber, lava lake with peninsula on which The Anvil of Fury rested, etc.) everything was random.

In D2 there is shitload of premade locations and most of randomization occurs outdoors where it has no impact on gameplay as it doesn't affect level traversal or tactics in any way due to openness of the levels and scale of randomly placed elements respectively.

D2 had good atmosphere in lots of locations. It wasn't nearly as good as D1, but it was there.

Randomly generated levels simply doesn't matter when you are faster than enemies and can run away at any time. The random generation was important in D1 because you were slow and getting surrounded meant instant death. This just isn't an issue in D2, so the only impact of randomization is to artificially pad game length by making it take 5x as long to find the exit for each level.

DraQ

Arcane
Randomly generated levels simply doesn't matter when you are faster than enemies and can run away at any time. The random generation was important in D1 because you were slow and getting surrounded meant instant death.
It also mattered because corridor 1-3 tiles wide can be blocked while corridor 2.5 screens wide can't.

In D2 you always had somewhere to run, in D1 you usually couldn't just run in circles even when your and monsters relative speed allowed that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom