Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do I play Morrowind?

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
You should keep a notepad nearby to keep track of your experiences.

I look forward to your angrily scrawled notes on the pleasures of racing cliffs.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Oh boy, I almost forgot about that.

When the cliff racing begins, don't worry, yes, it will be horrible, but you'll gradually get used to it.

Pay attention to directions given by quest-givers -- unlike Witcher 3 etc, NPCs actually describe landmarks and suggest routes...

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Use weapons you're skilled with and don't fight fatigued. If you need levels, strike out in a random direction. Lastly, build your class (or choose one) to fit your character concept, then play it as such. You'll do fine if you do these things.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I still think it's the most engaging Elder Scrolls game but it's also filled with crude mechanics that make it very exploitable. Play as a Breton Fighter or a Nord Magician for maximum leveling, it's the best way to exploit the game without being an autistic faggot about it. :salute:

DraQ

Arcane
Play as a Breton Fighter or a Nord Magician for maximum leveling, it's the best way to exploit the game without being an autistic faggot about it. :salute:
How is that not being an autistic faggot?

You're suggesting crippling the character in the short run when they are already weak, to buff them with some extra levels and resulting HPs somewhere way after the point when any sane player will retire them.

DraQ

Arcane
Here we go, I got code patch, assasins deleayer, MGE XE for distance drawing and better khajit faces. Don't need more.
For some reason I cannot post images.
http://imgur.com/a/aqiNw
Be careful with distance drawing. Morrowind relies a lot on its limited draw distance to create atmosphere and illusion of scale.

Somewhere around 3 cells visibility should be ok, more than that probably won't. You can use that as a basis for your fog distance and keep the land drawing distance higher to still have a horizon.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Morrowind relies a lot on its limited draw distance to create atmosphere and illusion of scale.

I think that only really works in the moment, then when you explore around you get a literal sense of the scale of the game (which doesn't feel small to me). I don't feel like anything is lost by just cranking up the view distance as far as suits you

TripJack

Hedonist
start making fortify intelligence potions and roleplay a god this is the only way to play

imweasel

The best way to play it is by double-clicking uninstall.exe

In before our resident Bethesda whore DraQ gets mad and posts a 1000 word wall of text.

:troll:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Someone told me that killing outlaws is pretty cool there and even hint that near silt raider I can find smugglers den. Went there, realized conjured dagger is pretty good. I searched cave, sold valuables in tradehouse, in the meantime I found taxman, informed imperial agent about it and left murderer alone.
Plundered two nearby tombs (wraiths are weak when you got bound dagger, but their fire touch takes 3/5 hp), felt really disturbed when took valuables while ghosts were talking.
Guy in shop told me that fargoth hides money and he wants part of it. Found hiding place, but no way I am giving him that money.
Now, with some gold and experience I am taking passage to Balmora.
VxfHJTp.jpg

Turjan

Arcane
Don't kill the netches. They are not hostile and occupy the spawn points of some of the nuisances.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
How does one roleplay in Morrowind?

First you figure out what kind of character you want to play. Then you role play that character.
It helps if you ignore stats, skills and levels. Powergaming is the best way to ruin the MW experiences, unless breaking the game for fun is something you like.
For sanity's sake install some mod that reduces the Cliffracer menace.

BTW, I see you are playing a pussy. Good choice.

you dont. :smug:
just read up lore online. every other part of game was done better by other open world titles be it combat/magic(Dragons Dogma),characters (twicher 3),factions/quests (F:NV) or actual living world(gothic 2).

it is still best bethturda title so just imagine how fucking shitty are fallout3/4 or skyturd...

Jarmaro

Liturgist
After arriving to Balmora I went straight to club before my eyes. Turned out it's Morag Tong building. Made a little chat, they informed me I am outlandish shit. They told me some rumors too.
After that I was looking for Southgate club where they were about to tell me where Caius Cosades is. I strayed into shop, bought cheap wakizashi that's better than my dagger. Oh, and there was tower.
Weapon on the wall looked interesting. Nothing interesting actually. So maybe near guardian there's something good.

Turned out there's epic Blade of Woe above his head. I couldn't steal it, couldn't use it and didn't know where sell it so I left it be. For now. Left tower and entered mage guild, some questons, some rumors, nothing important.
Then I looked for that club again. Again I strayed, this time to temple where I learned some things about Dunmmer religion. In a book I read that Deadra who was God of Rape seduced Dunmmer god and they had demon-kids.
Bethseda was pretty proggresive at that time. Anyway, I continued my searching.

Found caius's house first. Little chat, he gave me money beceause I am poor, then invited me to Blades. That moment I realized I have everything needed to go for my first sightseeing of surrounding area. Thought it will be easy.
Had to kill ~4 cliff racers before I saw bridge. They were little annoying, but adventure shoudln't be easy, yes? On the bridge I had hard fight with nord highwayman.
He summoned skeleton, so I summoned ancestral spirit. I barely won beceause another clif racer joined to fight. Continued my travel, but then I got attacked by another 2 cliff racers. Won, but I was heavily wounded and had only one health potion.
I accepted that my adventure was a failure and decided this is time to return to Balmora. Of course another cliff racer attacked.
Even less health, even more cliff racers on the horizont. Ran away and looked for safety in nearby cave. Thought I can rest here.

Wrong, after I entered some ash something attacked me. Had to use my last health potion. Killed one, killed another ash slave something, but that second thing was easy. Unfortunately there were more ash magicians so I took little gold, rested a hour and left. I thought cliff racer was gone. Wrong, now I had to fight with 3 cliffers. Thanks to conjured dagger I survived, but got so little health that another cliffer could kill me in one or two attacks. Now I had to be VERY careful. I prayed to imperial and dunmmers gods beceause I didn't know who is responsible for this part of this shithole. In the meantime one cliffer was fllying above my head. A miracle happened, I made it to Forth Moonmouth. I was so wounded that even merchant told me I look like shit.
They didn't allow me to sleep in normal bed so at the end of the day, like a true wretch, I slept in a prison tower. At sunrise I had chat with one of the soldiers woh told me that those Morag Tong are bad, bad people and I am one of good people, so I should make bloodbath and then he is going to give me present. I hope this will be worth it.

New, beatiful day is waiting for us.

I should make more screenshots
Lb0sq9E.jpg

Turjan

Arcane
At sunrise I had chat with one of the soldiers woh told me that those Morag Tong are bad, bad people and I am one of good people, so I should make bloodbath and then he is going to give me present. I hope this will be worth it..
It would definitely be hilarious if you did what you just wrote. Although, I wonder if there would be any repercussions at all, given that NPCs stay where they are. Probably not.

The proper way to role-play in Morrowind, which makes the gameplay significantly more bearable, is to first invent an origin story in your head, a background of sorts. Have your father, mother, sister, fiancee, dog, and favorite teacher killed off by an infinitely evil being, whom, for hypothetical reasons, we will imagine as a sort of pterodactyl-like creature but with large fin on top. Let's say we will randomly call it, oh I don't know, Cliff Racer. Now, before you begin playing, sit in a dark, quiet room for a few days and imagine your hate for this creature grow exponentially. Once it reaches such dramatic heights that the mere thought of killing him brings you close to orgasm, commence your Morrowind playthrough. Thank me later.

Xeon

Augur
I think Morrowind is probably one of the best games to give you a reason to explore, Caius Cosades when you meet him, he tells you to go join a guild to get better or just go exploring and get better on your own so you can halt the main quest until later.

For base game, I think the must have mod is Morrowind Code Patch if you want to stay mostly vanilla, it fixes bugs but it adds some QoL features like Loot All or cast without pressing M all the time and stuff.

Best mod for graphics with ease of use is Morrowind Overhaul, makes the game looks pretty good. Some mods in the overhaul are a little outdated, MGSO 3.0 Updating gives a guide on how to do a proper updating, you can update that if you want or leave it since its nothing too serious.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
You go OP have some fun, despite what most of these blowhards and their Codexian Edginess, Morrowind is fantastic so enjoy yourself, explore, read some books for some good lore which will help you get a hang on the setting, join a guild (or two) and decide what kind of character you want to be. Magic is very powerful in Morrowind, but takes a bit to get started.
All in all immerse yourself, by playing as you want to play rather than "roleplaying" if you prefer to use bows and sneak around you can do it, if you want to collect ingredients to make potions do it, Morrowind is a magnificent sandbox where you can easily get lost and come back to do some main quests.
I fired up my Morrowind build and it still looks beautiful at locked 60 FPS... who could imagine that? My first experience with the game I could barely keep 30 FPS

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom