Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you feel about innovation in RPGs?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Prime Junta, Nov 9, 2019.

?

How do you feel about innovation in RPGs?

1. Fuck innovation, innovation is decline, keep making Gold Box games forever (Traditionalist)

13.0%
  2. Yeah baby, everything must change, something beautiful is about to happen (Revolutionary)

18.6%
  3. Both positions have merit, we must carefully consider each before etc etc (Centrist)

49.7%
  4. Yeah but what is a RPG? (kingcomrade)

18.6%
  1. Riddler Prophet Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    This poll asks the wrong question.

Whether I like an RPG or not is not tied to innovation, it is tied to quality.

Games are overall of very poor quality(particularly writing quality), possibly because it is very difficult to create games. That is the issue, not the presence or lack of innovation.

Compare it to non-interactive media, am I not going to watch a movie or read a book because it isn't innovative? Would in watch/read something just because it is innovative?

I consume things because they are good, not because they are new. That is not to say that new isn't interesting, but I'm not going to say no to a really well-made game just because it is similar to what came before. (Good)innovation can excuse some blemishes but quality is always quality.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Doktor Best Arcane

Doktor Best
    Im really looking forward to an super-AI dungeonmastering my vr rpg sessions. No pre written dialogue. No real plot. Just me, a predefined world with a laid out ruleset and one poor artifical cognition that has to put up with my sick little mind.

Incognito mode would be appreciated.

• incline incline x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    The only recent innovation in RPGs I can think of that actually work are

1: The text adventures in PoE
    2: The Expeditions series camping tasks

Both were copied by Kingmaker.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Lord Commissar Alexer Educated

Lord Commissar Alexer
    I'm not sure if dumbing down a game should be called innovation or injecting 'certain political views' in it.
    Regarding the trend to fully voice the player character...so far i cant really complain. Most german VA did in my opinion a good job.

^ Top  
  5. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Any real, good innovation that could come to video RPGs would come from the wellspring. The classics evolved along these lines by incrementally approaching the possibility space of tabletop. All the games that are great in CRPG added a new stone to the path. There is still a long way to go of course. So are any developers looking at where things stand now and how the distance can be closed even further?

One thing I know is that it will never come from AAA. The audience is a leash. RPGs are a lot about simulation, solving problems/figuring things out, and dealing with permanent consequences, things that most players have shown repeatedly to either loath or be incompetent at. You cannot build a road to the promised land while having a quest marker or Balanced mentality. That's the path to regression. You're short-dicking the potential of the genre.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    Innovation is code for "How much gay shit can we put in?"

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    i am definitely on centrism spectrum.
    execution > concept. you can have a novel idea but shittily executed, or refine an old formula to perfection.

of course, everything is not equal. good idea + good execution > old idea + good execution > good idea + bad execution >old idea + bad execution.

the leftmost is very rare, the 2nd is decently rare, 3rd are more common and 4th are those copycat garbages.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • nice nice x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    [Cleve disliked that]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • butthurt butthurt x 2
    • cuck cuck x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. turkishronin Savant

turkishronin
    RPGs are games where you kill things and level up

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. ManaJunkie Learned

ManaJunkie
    :nocountryforshitposters:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    Have you tried playing games from other genres?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. ManaJunkie Learned

ManaJunkie
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 18
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Prime Junta Arcane Patron

Prime Junta
    Kerbal Space Program is still cool.

Edit: non-facetiously

KSP actually scratches one itch much better than spreadsheet RPGs ever did. KSP is all basically a massive optimisation problem, just like fine-tuning a build. Except KSP has way more freedom, more toys to play with, harder challenges, and generally more creativity. Even the best character systems in RPGs seem simplistic, unimaginative, restrictive, and just plain dull one you've had a solid intravenous injection of KSP.

That means that systems in RPGs are a lot less interesting to me at this point than they used to be e.g. when Pillars came out. If it doesn't have something else going for it -- notably, the larpy role-playing/story/worldbuilding shit -- then I just can't get all that excited about it.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    First off all, innovation can be both good and bad. Good innovation is always desirable. Kenshi or Neo Scavenger are recent examples of good innovation. Example of bad innovation is feature bloat in PoE and Kingmaker, or Guildwars 2 changing what made the first game good (wild example).

Changing what's good =/= good innovation
    Feature bloat =/= good innovation

In cases where the formula is perfected you don't need to innovate (Underrail, Grimoire).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    rofl

• Shit Shit x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Max Damage Learned

Max Damage
    I'll sit on the fence here and just say that what most RPGs lack is not innovation or respect to tradition, but quality and vision. I've played lots of titles that fall short real fast because of not understanding what makes a good GAME before everything else.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. TT1 Cipher Patron

TT1
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I finished the Long Dark episode 3 last night, so I opened my Steam library today and... I am kinda burned out/ hopeless, after Disco Elysium and Long Dark. There are no possibilities of playing something so good in the near future. Then I decided to install Epic Games to play any of their exclusives, maybe TOW or RDR2, but... I dont know... I dont know if I want to play it now.

I dont know what to do with my life anymore.

:despair:

Suggestions, please.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Get drunk and fuck something,also no,don't instal an epic cancer or any of those shitty games.

• Yes Yes x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. smaug Arcane Patron Shitposter

smaug
    There are games that you and I can play for a couple hundred hours (depending on playthroughs) that have lots of replayability etc.

But if you’re going to make a “New” game, then give me something different/innovative FFS. If not, what’s the point?

^ Top  
  20. Darth Canoli Liturgist

Darth Canoli
    Yeah baby, everything must change is the right answer, but not for every dev.

This is the right approach for a dev whom mastered the basics, is talented and has a vast knowledge in bow PnP RPG, cRPG and is interested about everything else.
    For someone with a vast set of skills, talent and inspiration, creating an innovative masterpiece should be an ultimate goal.

For the rest of the peasants and other shitty "AAA" devs, just play the classics you goatfuckers and retire if you don't learn anything new.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  21. ntonystinson Educated

ntonystinson
    I think some innovation is needed. The genre has gotten quite a bit stale with every new RPG a spiritual successor to another old RPG. That's why am grateful for the "odd" RPGS. The likes of CK2/the upcoming 3, Mount and Blade, and brave indie Devs trying new things

^ Top  
  22. Tito Anic Magister

Tito Anic
    Fallout 2, Gothic 2 - perfected genre. What innovations?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    Fallout 2 could certainly have better combat. I don't like PB games so can't comment on Gothic 2

^ Top  
  24. Prime Junta Arcane Patron

Prime Junta
    Kerbal Space Program. Guaranteed no more extra free time.

^ Top  
  25. Tito Anic Magister

Tito Anic
    Fallout 2 has everything Fallout offers. Gothic 2 has factions. JA2 is not pure RPG - it is tactics first and foremost.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)