Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do you feel about innovation in RPGs?

How do you feel about innovation in RPGs?

• Total voters

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
People who hate innovation like CRPGs as they already are, they're enjoying themselves popping moles and want more of the same.

People who love innovation actually want something closer to pen and paper RPGs and believe current CRPGs could (and should) do better.

Those who are in between these two respectable groups of people are cowards.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
People who hate innovation like CRPGs as they already are, they're enjoying themselves popping moles and want more of the same.

People who love innovation actually want something closer to pen and paper RPGs and believe current CRPGs could (and should) do better.

Those who are in between these two respectable groups of people are cowards.

Or they just have lives and don't put video games on deified pedestals to be worshiped.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
That's not innovation, that's plain old streamlining, you just got duped by the suits and their marketing speech.

barghwata

Savant
I genuinley can't understand people in this thread saying "innovation already happened and it killed the genre". Today's RPGs are basically barebone dumbed down versions of older RPGs and guess what? dumbing down already existing mechanics isn't innovation.

Truth is it's been a very long time since any innovation happened in the genre at all, and yes even disco elysium which i admit is a pretty unique game isn't innovative enough but better then nothing i guess.

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I like creativity in game designers. Games like POE, Dragon Age, or Numa are not disco.

The word that summarizes this POE-level amount of creativity is exactly that -- constipation.

Come upon your backer-oriented fortress, you see some antropomorphic frog. You can ask of his culture and peoples, only to receive few bland paragraphs to forget over the next few minutes. That frog has to be there since the world had to consist of several fantasy races.

For the burnout writer, a frog-person is the pinnacle of achievement. It looks vaguely fantasy but most importantly fulfills the deadline. There was no story to begin with! There was only the deadline. What's left is a facsimile of a story and of creative process, as well as a big pile of Kickstarter money.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
For the burnout writer, a frog-person is the pinnacle of achievement. It looks vaguely fantasy but most importantly fulfills the deadline. There was no story to begin with! There was only the deadline. What's left is a facsimile of a story and of creative process, as well as a big pile of Kickstarter money.

This is oddly the most accurate thing I've seen written about worldbuilding in modern RPGs.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Prime Junta I don’t think RPGs can evolve in the way you want them to, because to me one of the cores of RPGs is a progression system of some sort where you are always achieving something greater.

If you dislike this concept altogether, then RPGs are null and void.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Prime Junta I don’t think RPGs can evolve in the way you want them to, because to me one of the cores of RPGs is a progression system of some sort where you are always achieving something greater.

In Disco (and Torment) the player is reaching to something greater within himself, but how can you measure it "objectively"?

In Disco the pivot moment for me was that call to Harry's ex-wife, through all the debris of current and past, through this desert of amnesia and phasmid's absence.

She answered. She was worried. She remembered me, but still, she already was in another life. And that woke me up, as a character and as a player. What strange games I'm currently playing? And why? Who am I? And what can I become besides this regret? I hanged. The call now was a memory. Kim was looking at me, worried.

It's okay, buddy, I said. Everything is under control. For now.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

In Disco (and Torment) the player is reaching to something greater within himself, but how can you measure it "objectiveky"?

In Disco the pivot moment for me was that call to Harry's exwife, through all the debris of current and past, through this desert of amnesia and phasmid's absence.

She answered. She was worried. She remembered me, but still, she was in another life. And that woke me up, as a character and as a player. What strange games I'm currently playing? And why? Who am I? And what can I become besides this regret? I hanged. The call now was a memory. Kim was looking at me, worried.

RPGs seem to be a lot of level up and repeat, while also having a story of sort to go along for an added bonus. If RPGs head in a direction where this isn’t the case then not sure if they would count as RPGs.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

In Disco (and Torment) the player is reaching to something greater within himself, but how can you measure it "objectiveky"?

In Disco the pivot moment for me was that call to Harry's exwife, through all the debris of current and past, through this desert of amnesia and phasmid's absence.

She answered. She was worried. She remembered me, but still, she was in another life. And that woke me up, as a character and as a player. What strange games I'm currently playing? And why? Who am I? And what can I become besides this regret? I hanged. The call now was a memory. Kim was looking at me, worried.

RPGs seem to be a lot of level up and repeat, while also having a story of sort to go along for an added bonus. If RPGs head in a direction where this isn’t the case then not sure if they would count as RPGs.

I think I've finally reached this stage where I can say OH FUCK YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER to someone who tried to argue that mechanics are more important than a story.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

I think I've finally reached this stage where I can say OH FUCK YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER to someone who tried to argue that mechanics are more important than a story.
I think they are in principle. I think leveling up (I.E a progression system) is a mandatory thing in RPGs, whilst story isn’t superfluous at most.

JDR13

Arcane

I think they are in principle. I think leveling up (I.E a progression system) is a mandatory thing in RPGs, whilst story isn’t superfluous at most.

Wouldn't that depend on the game though?

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
The poll doesn't make sense. It all depends what aspect of old rpgs you wanna keep, and what aspect you want to introduce.
Keep lore, C&C, build customization. Add better graphic and combat, ditch that horrible hortible isometric view

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom