Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How does Elex compare to Gothic

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Better than Risen 3, less charm than Risen 2 but I'm biased for the pirate theme. Plenty of freedom in solving problems and choosing sides, there is some decent C&C in the game. Music is kinda forgettable and not very good, they should have hired some promising SoundCloud bedroom producer instead, but it was Björn's first time doing music in a more pro setting so I can forgive him. Combat really isn't that bad, some bugs and wonky hitboxes but otherwise mostly fine. Sense of progression is godly just like previous PB titles. It was okay and shows promise that PB got their shit together and learned some lessons.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
*searches "Elex Gothic"* - 5 pages of hits, here are some of the better posts; 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or you could dig through the memes and shitposts to read the whole thread. Ludo Lense did a good review which frequently draws comparisons.

It's my 7/10 narrow-win-over-DOS2 goty by default because current year games were generally shit. Not as good as Gothic 1/2 but you'll probably have enough fun to avoid buyer's remorse.

Paul_cz

Arcane
So I played all Piranha games and finished them. Consider G2 NOTR their best game and bonafide masterpiece. G1 and Risen 1 are also amazing, although more flawed. G3, Risen 2 and 3 are..pretty good, but have too big flaws to be in the same league.

So I wonder where Elex lies? VD liked it iirc.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have a single question: is there a trick/bug to delay or exploit the faction structure so you can get multiple faction abilities or do multiple factions quests as in the other gothics and Risen 1?

I like non-linearity in general, and sequence breaking is a favorite activity in rpgs, even at the cost of efficiency or time.

cw8

Cipher
Best thing in their games lineup since Gothic 2. The world feels big and open like in Gothic compared to the cramp ones in Risen 2 n 3. Mostly Gothic vibes, no Risen vibes and that's what makes it good.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Or any of their other games for that matter.
It has better graphics.

And the story is about white supremacist, who stopped to take substance that made him white overpowered supremacist. But nice ending requires him to be overpowered supremacist.
Logical action would be to beg for mercy of course. But supremacist is too racist and selfcentered to do that...

Elex

Arbiter
I have a single question: is there a trick/bug to delay or exploit the faction structure so you can get multiple faction abilities or do multiple factions quests as in the other gothics and Risen 1?

I like non-linearity in general, and sequence breaking is a favorite activity in rpgs, even at the cost of efficiency or time.
Jetpack.

Falksi

Arcane
I loved Risen 2. Funny as fuck.

Out of all the PB games Risen 3 was the only one I didn't finish, because it was just too dull in terms of dialogue.

Elex is gonna make me spunk

TC Jr

Scholar

Out of all the PB games Risen 3 was the only one I didn't finish, because it was just too dull in terms of dialogue.

Yeah I really liked Risen 2, played at release on 360 (lol) but couldn't finish due to a game breaking bug haha, bought it again on steam though so going to replay it then hopefully Elex afterwards. Felt the same about Risen 3, just missing charm or something, kind of boring.

Falksi

Arcane

Yeah I really liked Risen 2, played at release on 360 (lol) but couldn't finish due to a game breaking bug haha, bought it again on steam though so going to replay it then hopefully Elex afterwards. Felt the same about Risen 3, just missing charm or something, kind of boring.

I played the special edition on 360, and I only came across 2 bugs from start to finish, so if you can pick that up cheap might be the way to go (I've seen it kicking around for about £4 in CEX)

Risen 2 has some of the best dialogue I've ever come across in a game. The main character's dryness/wit/sarcasm adds loads to the game. Brilliant stuff. Risen 3 is flat as a pancake in comparison.

Yeah dialogues were fun in Risen 2. I'm definitely gonna replay Risen 1 and 2 sometime again. Cannot stand Risen 3, main character's voice alone is enough to render it unplayable for me so I never got far into it. They should've kept the same guy from Risen 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom