Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How many of you still buy full priced games in the era of Steam sales?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
So I have been thinking during the Age of Sales when so many have dozens of unplayed games in their library how many still D1P games?And what was the last one you bought at full price?

Personally I don't really buy new games anymore since I have so many unplayed ones and the next Steam/GOG/whatever sale is around the corner and I no longer feel the need to get them when they are new.
Technically the last game I D1P was Overwatch but that was mostly an impulse buy since I was in a pretty bad mood at that time and just bought it.Before that I go back to The Witcher 3 and Legacy of the Void when I bought the retail versions.

P.S. I am not counting the various Kickstarter games like PoE,Torment 2,Original Sin etc

Modron

Arcane
Depends on the game, I d1p some early access stuff, Battle Brothers, Exanima, Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill. As far as actual releases go I didn't mind paying full price for Expeditions Viking, Outcast Second Contact, the Tale of Wuxia games, West of Loathing, Elex, Thimbleweed Park, et cetera. I just need me an rpg/tactics/adventure game with a semblance of quality to justify picking up a game, I am not really an impulse full price buyer.

I Morgoth stuff I want to see more of essentially, sure I could wait a few years easily and pick most up at 66% off but I don't do that for quality shit.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'm crazy, but not that crazy. Why bother when you know everything is going to be 50% in half a year and you're patient? I suppose I sometimes go full hog, while sticking to old tried and true to never pay more than $20 for a video game, but that's the most I'll ever pay for any new release. Which works out well most of the time because it means I support small-medium productions who can actually use my money more than $60 titles.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Last game I bought full price was also the first game I had bought full price in over nine years: Alien Isolation.

I bought the "full" pack for $70.

Unfortunately due to the game having a stupid publisher the game is barely worth $10 in retrospect.

Never buy a game on Day 1.
Always wait for the sale.

DeepOcean

Arcane
If I wanna play RIGHT NOW!, I D1P, but that is getting rarer and rarer, I D1P a few kickstarter RPGs and ended regretting, no game right now is worthy of that honor to me so even if there is a sale, I wouldn't buy most games on Steam even if they were for free.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Very few d1p games these-days.

Also AAA games have gotten even more expensive, which puts me off even more.

Sales aren't even that good anymore. The era of meaningful steam sales are pretty much over.
This as well.

Trashos

Arcane
I sometimes make a point of paying full price for indie games to support their developers. They do something for me, I do what I can for them.

For the rest of them, no. I haven't bought any high (relatively) profile games within the first month of release since 2003 IIRC.

To be honest some games could be worth a full price. The issue is that every game is full of bugs. So you can't give me full price for a bugged piece of shit.

The tactic should be reverted:

half the price when you release it
Augmented price after a few years given that they are fixed and sometimes with new content

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Almost never. But I do make exceptions when it's from a developer I trust and am fairly familiar with the product. An example being the 'sequel' to Rebel Galaxy that Travis Baldree and Eric Schaefer are working on now. Will most likely D1P that. Also D1P'ed Torchlight 2 but, again, I knew what I was getting.

Will probably D1P Warband 2 but that won't be for another ten years at the rate TaleWorlds works.

To be honest some games could be worth a full price. The issue is that every game is full of bugs. So you can't give me full price for a bugged piece of shit.

The tactic should be reverted:

half the price when you release it
Augmented price after a few years given that they are fixed and sometimes with new content
it's already like this. it's called "dlcs".

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The only games I've :d1p: last year were Grimoire, because Cleve and the game deserved it, and the remake of Outcast, since I love the original and wanted to support the devs.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am rich.

It does not matter what I buy.
Where do you live :terminate:

On the buying thing,i do buy only to support some smaller studious that i know the game will be good. PB and Spiderweb games mainly,never felt disappointed from their game.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I'm crazy, but not that crazy. Why bother when you know everything is going to be 50% in half a year and you're patient? I suppose I sometimes go full hog, while sticking to old tried and true to never pay more than $20 for a video game, but that's the most I'll ever pay for any new release. Which works out well most of the time because it means I support small-medium productions who can actually use my money more than $60 titles.

You obviously don't play with friends. Friends play->you want to play with them->you buy the game->you or friends stop playing the game because you were overhyped or it gets boring fast-->two weeks later you look for another AAA blockbuster, because neither you or friends even talks or remember the game[mostly with meaningless gameplay games]
But as you gets older, this doesn't really apply. It's hard to find anyone to play in the week, only in the weekends, and that's not always doable.

Mustawd

I sometimes make a point of paying full price for indie games to support their developers. They do something for me, I do what I can for them.

Battle Bros was my last one like this.

Freddie

Savant
I bought Space Hulk: Deathwing and that new XCOM2 expansion as D1P.

For me it's that it's difficult to get exited about new games when I have already lots of games I haven't played yet. Then it's increasingly difficult to find interesting games even during sales any more.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom