Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline How to properly enjoy an RPG

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Don't seek tips

Use your wit and intelligence to overcome obstacles.

Don't metagame

Obsessing over perfect builds can ruin the fun. Flawed builds are cool. However it turns out makes it special. Picked the wrong feat by accident or made a bad call? Don't worry, it might prove useful after all.

Don't save-scum

Obvioiusly, ruins muh immersion. Stick with what you get.

Increase difficulty

The greater the challenge, the more rewarding gameplay will be.

Be spontaneous, not completionist

Don't try to visit every location. Don't try to complete every quest. Leave something for other play-through. I'm not advocating role-playing strictly speaking. But tend to do stuff which makes sense. Clearing five dungeons in a row doesn't.

Don't binge on dialogue options (by eXalted)

Don't exhaust all conversation options if you don't find them interesting. And yes, there could be a quest hidden there, who cares?

Keep cycling savegame slots

Try to save less often. Certainly don't spam the quicksave button. Continuity of experience is key to immersion.

Live with your consequences.

Failed a skill roll? Attacked someone by accident? Jammed a chest? Try this experiment and don't reload. That liberates you from OCD and made my runs much more memorable and distinctive e.g. that time when I was caught stealing, that time when I drank the wrong potion etc.

Role playing

Obviously a subject which can be widely interpreted however just making consistent dialogue choices works.

Play it like it was meant to be played (by Wayward Son)

Sure, you COULD look up that dungeon map or use screenshots to take notes, but the game was built around the lack of easily accessible internet and/or screenshots, so this can ruin the gameplay. Ultimas are a good example of this, they were built around you taking good, concise but accurate notes or you were up Shit Creek without a paddle.

Spontaneity is king

This is where all the fun and good gaming memories stem from.

Do you have any suggestions? I wish more games would encourage such behavior.

Last edited:
Try to save less often. Certainly don't spam the quicksave button. Continuity of experience is key to immersion.

Well, dying and having to replay the same section again isn't very immersive either, especially if said section contains story content (having to read the same dialogues again etc). And if the game doesn't use an auto save function you are forced to save quite often.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Seriously, though, I don't enjoy replaying sections, so I hammer that quick-save button like there's no tomorrow. I really don't have the patience to essentially grind the same encounter/s over and over again because the boss at the end kicks my ass multiple times. There are ways to create constant tension without replaying everything. Like the truly alien to the modern dev concept of "resource management".

Try to save less often and don't spam the quicksave button.

Continuity is key to immersion.

Well, dying and having to replay the same section again isn't very immersive either...

At least it creates a challenge.

BTW that's an inherent weakness of games that use manual saves instead of autosaves. It's very hard to use the save function sparse enough that you retain the challenge without making the experience frustrating (by having to replay filler sections, or annoyingly big chunks of gameplay). That should be the designer's job, not the player's.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Seriously, though, I don't enjoy replaying sections, so I hammer that quick-save button like there's no tomorrow. I really don't have the patience to essentially grind the same encounter/s over and over again because the boss at the end kicks my ass multiple times. There are ways to create constant tension without replaying everything. Like the truly alien to the modern dev concept of "resource management".

What's your attitude on checkpoints? I should really replay Grimrock with that option someday.

mbv123

Arbiter
This.
It's even worse if the game lacks autosave/checkpoint system so you can lose even hours of progress if a random encounter or a bad rng fucks you up in seconds (Fallout did this to me)

Lacrymas

Arcane
When was the last time an RPG used checkpoints? The Souls games aren't RPGs before anyone goes into that. I don't see the point, RPGs aren't platformers or some such game where dexterity and hand-eye coordination are tested, and even then you can replay it to remember and brute force it.

Abhay

Augur
You are spot on luj1. Its nearly a perfect list that covers everything in short. The only thing I'd like to add is that having a stealthy character is much better than a fighter/mage-centric build when you're playing any RPG game for the very first time. This can be very effective in allowing you to stay engaged and explore the world as freely as possible, while experiencing maximum interaction, and lore, without the need to fight/win every battle. I find stealth very useful for playing at a pace of my choice with more options available to immerse myself, and to focus on the environment, the story, and the game world.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Don't start out by being overly analytical and by decidedly seeking flaws. The best way to fuck up any experience is to sperg the shit out of it from the get go.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It depends. If the dungeon is designed well enough you'd still be able to somehow get access to a safe spot to rest. F.e. in Swordflight 1 there's a point of no return in the biggest dungeon where you can't rest almost at all ever, but there's a ghost who says he'll protect you for one rest only whenever you wish it. The dungeon is BIG, so you have to manage with whatever you have now and only 1 more rest. What you can do then is exhaust everything you have, save before you rest with the ghost, rest and do everything else after that. If you simply can't then your character is either too weak or you are doing something terribly wrong. It works in SF1 because the dungeon is designed so well.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The only thing I'd like to add is that having a stealthy character is much better than a fighter/mage-centric build when you're playing any RPG game for the very first time. This can be very effective in allowing you to stay engaged and explore the world as freely as possible, while experiencing maximum interaction, and lore, without the need to fight/win every battle. I find stealth very useful for playing at a pace of my choice with more options available to immerse myself, and to focus on the environment, the story, and the game world.

In RPGs I used to roll only fighters/warriors on my first play-through. Figured that might be the best way to familiarize oneself about the game and its mechanics. I was wrong though. Nowadays I just spontaneously pick whichever character attracts me initially.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It depends. If the dungeon is designed well enough you'd still be able to somehow get access to a safe spot to rest. F.e. in Swordflight 1 there's a point of no return in the biggest dungeon where you can't rest almost at all ever, but there's a ghost who says he'll protect you for one rest only whenever you wish it. The dungeon is BIG, so you have to manage with whatever you have now and only 1 more rest. What you can do then is exhaust everything you have, save before you rest with the ghost, rest and do everything else after that. If you simply can't then your character is either too weak or you are doing something terribly wrong. It works in SF1 because the dungeon is designed so well.

Fuck that's good.

Abhay

Augur
Seriously, though, I don't enjoy replaying sections, so I hammer that quick-save button like there's no tomorrow. I really don't have the patience to essentially grind the same encounter/s over and over again because the boss at the end kicks my ass multiple times.
If you know that you are facing a very difficult encounter beyond the level your character can fight then there's nothing wrong to "manually" save ( once ) beforehand - if there's no checkpoint system ( similar to Mafia 1 ). The aim is to try saving ( manually ) less often. OP isn't saying that you should never save but doing it sparingly, like resting by saving your "progress" for a PRICE, after you've explored and played enough, and NOT spaming the quicksave button for saving every other sec/minute, since "save scumming" not only breaks the continuity of the immersion, but also works as a deterrant to "Live with your consequences" and "Stick with what you get" in the list. I don't understand why you really feel the need to "quick save" for the same encounter/s over and over again, if you have played the game more than once and understood the mechanics, pros/cons, strengths/weaknesses of different characters, and the progression system. You can also choose to avoid the encounter altogether, if you are not confident to fight at that point in the game. Losing a battle is a natural way to understand your weaknesses against the strengths of the enemies, while "quick saving" just because of the fear of losing the battle over, and over again, seems more of an issue at the player's end lacking self-confidence, wit and intelligence to overcome obstacles by using skills to manage the encounter.

Lacrymas

Arcane
What are you talking about. I'm not saying to save during combat. Water your eyeballs. Read.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Play Swordflight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom