Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment How to enjoy Planescape Torment

vazquez595654

Arbiter
I am planning to start playing Planescape's Torment and I was wondering how best to enjoy it. Specifically related to a character build. Can I play without fighting? I started playing Fallout as a melee character and I got bored after reaching The Brotherhood. My character was too weak to go into the mutant/military base or whatever and I didn't feel like level grinding.

Additionally is there anything I should look out for in the game? For example quests, items, or story elements I shouldn't miss?

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
Pump wisdom, intelligence, and charisma. Make sure you go to the Smoldering Corpse Bar before doing much else, and talk to the skinny warrior there -- Dak'kon. Make sure you talk to party members frequently and pump them for info. You will have to fight -- a lot. But with Morte and Dak'kon, the early fights are easy, and by the time you get to later ones, they'll be easy, too.

Use TNO's ability to come back to life as an asset. Don't sweat it if he dies, you'll usually respawn somewhere convenient.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Just max out Wisdom and Intelligence... distribute remaining points, if any, into your other attributes. That's the best build. Oh, and be either a fighter or a mage, don't be a thief.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
What they said, but don't be afraid to try your luck as a thief. Maybe not on your first run, though.

VasikkA

Liturgist
Since the game lacks a decent spellcasting PC in my opinion, I wouldn't suggest playing as a fighter. I finished the game with a fighter with ease, so I guess it doesn't really matter. Just keep in mind that dialogue plays a big role in PST, so you might want to build your character accordingly. You're in for a riveting adventure, enjoy every second of it.

Also, get hold of the Modron Cube. ;)

Jora

Arcane
Yeah: the bronze sphere is important. And have Dak'kon translate the tattooist Dabus' sign language even if you can do it yourself.

Talk to everyone. Experience everything.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
Max out wisdom, put Int to maybe 15, and then distribute as you like. The only stat not worth boosting is constitution.

I disagree, constitution is the a great stat to have. Once you reach a certain level it starts giving a certain bonus to hp for every level your character has. By the game's end you might be around level 20 and have a +7 HP/level bonus. You do the math. Furthermore, it increased the rate in which TNO regenerates HP, which is convienent if not necessary. I love boosting Constitution as a mage in lieu of strength.

Balor

Arcane
Nae, the game is not hard enough as it is. I mean, you are immortal! I played as PURE mage, never boosted my STR or End or Dex, didn't have a lot of problem with fights. Morte makes a great tank - why should you be one?

Kuato

Liturgist
I was going to reccomend a spellcaster(its makes combat more interesting if you can survive the tediousness of the magic user quest:))maybe I am not sure if I remember correctly or not but arent there certain spectactular and powerful spells that only high level magic users can use and that actually play impressive prerendered cinematic movies when you cast them?

Higher Game

Arcane
Be a spellcaster. You get plenty of allies who are great at melee, but not much in the way of magic. You need high wisdom and intelligence anyway, so it makes sense to be a spellcaster anyway. Here are my stat recommendations.

Strength- Minimum. You won't need it.
Dexterity- Low. You won't be in melee range much. It's not hugely important.
Charisma- Medium. You can crank it to high with the friends spell, so don't focus so heavily on it.
Wisdom- High. This is clearly the most important stat in the game. It makes you level faster, too.
Intelligence- High. Like wisdom, it is an important key for many quests.
Constitution- High. You'll need the hit points as a spellcaster. You don't get much from leveling up, so you need constitution to make you tougher.

Talk to everyone and don't take combat so seriously. Like Fallout, fighting isn't the focus on the game. Just enjoy the story. :D

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
WouldBeCreator said:
You will have to fight -- a lot.
I disagree completely.
You will have to fight a lot only if you are to be pure kombat-melee character with low intelligence and wisdom which I wouldn't suggest especially for a first walkthrough (you never know if it isn't the last). And even then there isn't that much combat heavy zones in PS:T. Not even close to the likes of BG series.

I probably spent 80% of the time interacting with NPCs and enjoying the plot in this game whit my NO as a mage which I would advise to vazquez too as the little fighting you will have to do will be much satisfiengly experianced with the spellcaster. Well, that goes for any infinity engine game anyway. Melee combat sucks enourmously in those games.

Haven't tried a thief, but why bother if you can have Annah in party.

Higher Game

Arcane
Well, the optional areas of the modron maze and undersigil are combat heavy. They're not necessary, but they're interesting. The modron maze ubersentries can punch through just about any armor class, so a a good mage is important for killing them fast. I wouldn't recommend meleeing them.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
The problem with the Infinity Engine D&D style magic is that you run out of magic very quickly, and the magic spells in this game don't do very much damage and are resisted most of the time.

It's okay to play with low STR, Dakkon has a spell that will boost it by like 6 for an hour per caster level.

CryptCrawler

Novice
vazquez595654 said:
I am planning to start playing Planescape's Torment and I was wondering how best to enjoy it. Specifically related to a character build. Can I play without fighting? I started playing Fallout as a melee character and I got bored after reaching The Brotherhood. My character was too weak to go into the mutant/military base or whatever and I didn't feel like level grinding.

Additionally is there anything I should look out for in the game? For example quests, items, or story elements I shouldn't miss?

I'm playing it right now, for the very first time - due to Codex 'advertisement'!
Here's my advice:
Do whatever you like. Don't force your character into a specific role, there's no need of powergaming. HAVE FUN - and let the game handle all your sick ideas.
Really, i love the depth in storyline and dialogue. It's even better than Fallout and Arcanum.

Relax and enjoy!

Dogsoup

Scholar
It's true, I played the whole length of the game as a barbarian Pingu (the claymation penguin) and it worked like a charm, even though the Nameless One looked nothing like Pingu.

Thrawn05

Scholar
I always try pump up Constitution, Wisdom and Charisma as a rule. I tend to play as a "diplomat" and resorting to combat as a last resort.

Gnidrologist said:
Haven't tried a thief, but why bother if you can have Annah in party.

Yeah, I figured that one out. One theif is enough, might as well be her.

Antagonist

Liturgist
My personal suggestion: Intelligence 16, wisdom 16, charisma 16. You'll get slightly less XP but on the other hand all dialogue related options are capped at 16 at the beginning of the game so you'll get the broadest set of dialgoue choices. There is 1 instance I can think of that needs 18 in both intelligence and wisdom early in the game but you can boost the stats with magical items.

I'd also choose mage. Mages become insanely powerful after some time, you'll have some extra dialogue during the (probably) most important scene in the game and the boni at lvl. 7 and 12 increase your intelligence and wisdom.

Last but not least: Do not read any PS:T related discussion on the internet. The story is the driving force of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom