Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment How to enjoy Planescape Torment

HotSnack

Cipher
you mean the book of pure evil!?!?!? :o

Falcore19

Novice
Can you explain to me how the combat system works in Planescape?

Is it like Fallout?

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Hm, yeah.. You can get The Grimoire ( the book of evil ) off Mantuok when you run into him in Lothar's place.

Possibly also when you meet him in the Warrens of Thought?

HotSnack

Cipher
I think the rat will just spirit you away if you try and kill him in the warrens of thought.

Also I think the insta-death spell in the book of evil(!) is powerword kill.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
You can kill the Rat God as soon as you meet him. Takes a bit of work, but I did it. There's no real consequence afterwards, though.

infestør

Barely Literate
the game sort of "forces" you to play as a mage since the sweetness of WIS & INT, fantastic cut-scenes of spells and not much in the way of nice melee items.
but i enjoyed the game playing as a fighter. radial spell casting menu sucks, rest-spell-flee-rest-spell cycle sucks and almost without having a single slot available from level 9 spells you finish the game (with full party).
though it hurts a bit to play as a fighter with pumped up WIS & INT since i don't want to compromise dialogue options and xp bonuses.

BobtheTree

Savant
I played as a fighter the whole game but I exploited the crap out of the last 5 hours or so of the game.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
fantastic cut-scenes of spells
... that get old after the second time, are needlessly long and even pause the game while they are playing. If I ever play through PST again, I will use every cheat available for the combat because I really, REALLY don't want to bother with that again.

infestør

Barely Literate
fantastic cut-scenes of spells
... that get old after the second time, are needlessly long and even pause the game while they are playing. If I ever play through PST again, I will use every cheat available for the combat because I really, REALLY don't want to bother with that again.
that is indeed true. i just was amazed by them first time i played as a mage. i wish they were skippable, too. for instance, blacksphere has no cut-scene but even its in-game animation is too long.
...cast blackspehere
go have a smoke and a coffee
...the animation is finished

DraQ

Arcane
the game sort of "forces" you to play as a mage since the sweetness of WIS & INT, fantastic cut-scenes of spells and not much in the way of nice melee items.
but i enjoyed the game playing as a fighter. radial spell casting menu sucks, rest-spell-flee-rest-spell cycle sucks and almost without having a single slot available from level 9 spells you finish the game (with full party).
though it hurts a bit to play as a fighter with pumped up WIS & INT since i don't want to compromise dialogue options and xp bonuses.
:necro:

Grimlorn

Arcane
Actually, you can play as a fighter just fine in PST with low str and dex and high int and wis. Combat is easy enough.

And this is probably where MCA gets his attitude on playing Arcanum from. In Arcanum he tries to max out CHA for dialogue options but also tries to kill everything with melee and can't figure out why he's having so much trouble. It doesn't occur to him that if you don't put any points in your physical stats, you shouldn't be able to kill anything above lvl 1 with your character.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
So, I once decided to attack one of the harlots in the south-eastern portion of the Hive; what happened was every harlot in the vicinity ganging up and assaulting TNO with unrivaled fury. There were like a dozen harlots chasing him around the Hive! What the hell?

infestør

Barely Literate
has anyone ever managed to play the game as lawful?
i could never manage despite all my vows and not scoffing the skull.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Of course, how else would you use those delicious CON-boosting tears scattered about?

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Of course, how else would you use those delicious CON-boosting tears scattered about?
and the secret being?
Uhm, how should I know? I never found it hard to achieve when playing... Do you honestly expect me to remember all the conversation choices I made years ago and compare them to yours (which I don't even know)? :lol:

IIRC: don't lie, don't ever say your name is Adhan, don't do anything with the Lady of Pain doll, stuff like that.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
So i finally finished Torment today, the last IE game and the last best RPG post Fallout i still had on my list (saving the best for the last?). And i must say, i am disappointed.

While the writing is, of course, top notch, the game suffered a lot by being a 2ed D&D. Basically it is an adventure with a great story. I know there are stat checks, but honestly, it is very easy to have very high INT/WIS/CHA, so it does not matter much. This results in very minimalistic characer building, having no skills whatsoever. What matters is the sequence of discussions and having the right items.
Combat is a minor distraction from talky questing and becomes pretty popamole at the end (all those guards and melee monsters in random high numbers are just annoying). Combat in general is not fun at all. Really, there is not a single memorable encounter in the game.

So, yeah, felt like "playing" through an interactive novel. I didn't read any discussions about Torment to avoid spoilers - so why is it considered to be one of the best RPGs? Or is it the best story-fag, LARP?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Try a replay with a changed alignment and a dex/wisdom build for instance.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Try a replay with a changed alignment and a dex/wisdom build for instance.
Are there "bad guy" dialog options based on alignment? Does DEX mean snaping necks and catching thief hands or is there more to do? Otherwise i saw only few options to pick dexterity/strength/wits challenge and one "dextery" situation in the brothel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom