Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder How to enjoy playing Kingmaker?

tred

Augur
So, here's the deal. I've been trying to play Pathfinder:Kingmaker (after giving up for the 10th time on NWN 2) for weeks already and I just can't enjoy it.

It feels like a chore. The game makes me feel as if I'm being conned somehow, the same feeling I get when I try to play NWN 2 (even MotB). And I swear to god that I've tried many times along the years.

The thing is that they're the only two games in the the RPG Codex's Top 101 PC RPGS that I really can't enjoy even though I think I should. And as I deeply respect the hivemind consesus I feel really terrible for not liking them. I mean, I know that my feelings about those two games are kinda "wrong", and I want to correct this.

I understand that if I would just focus on the mechanics everything would be alright (in Pathfinder and in NWN 2 too, as I really loved to play D&D 3.5), however after one, two weeks of playing I feel so disconnected from the story, the characters, the aesthetics, everything, that I have to make a lot of effort to not give up.

So as a last attempt I humbly ask you, does anyone here have some secret recipe to enjoy those two games? Any tips? Did you folks enjoy it on the first time? Or had to try many times to find enjoyment in it?

Thank you!

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The thing is that they're the only two games in the the RPG Codex's Top 101 PC RPGS that I really can't enjoy even though I think I should. And as I deeply respect the hivemind consesus I feel really terrible for not liking them. I mean, I know that my feelings about those two games are kinda "wrong", and I want to correct this.

I understand that if I would just focus on the mechanics everything would be alright (in Pathfinder and in NWN 2 too, as I really loved to play D&D 3.5), however after one, two weeks of playing I feel so disconnected from the story, the characters, the aesthetics, everything, that I have to make a lot of effort to not give up.

Sometimes it doesn't click, nothing to feel "terrible" about. I think BG is a massive borefest and I start yawning, when I see the Candlekeep garden.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
So, here's the deal. I've been trying to play Pathfinder:Kingmaker (after giving up for the 10th time on NWN 2) for weeks already and I just can't enjoy it...

Sorry, I don't get it. Why are you playing a game for weeks when you don't enjoy it? It's ok not no like a game.
No one here will have a secret recipe for you that makes you suddenly like the game.

Play games you enjoy instead. Problem solved.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Play games you enjoy instead.
Screenshot_142.png

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
You know you're not obliged to like every single game on the codex list, right? Perhaps it's just not your thing and you will enjoy something else.

I never enjoyed Arcanum, for example. Heresy for many codexers, but I just got incredibly bored after a few hours. No point in forcing yourself.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
tred The only two games ?
Wow, i didn't know someone was this close, i probably hate half the top 70 and probably way way more from the top 101, like 2/3.

Protips :
  • Don't play it, you'll find a lot of satisfaction in knowing you're strong enough to pass on shit games.
  • Nexus mods > add a billion mods, it makes the game slightly fun if you have 200TB of SSD RAM.

user

Savant
the aesthetics

What, because they both have fully 3D maps instead of 2D prerendered like the other D&D and D&D-inspired RPGs on the Codex Top 101 RPG list?

Hmmm, I don't know, probably not because I spent many hours having fun with NWN 1 custom modules.

Can you elaborated on "conned"?
Aesthetics are very meh in NWN2 1st chapter village/countryside/first town areas etc, but you quickly get to way more interesting areas after that. MotB is beautiful in general. In P:K you spend a lot of time in generic countryside areas at the start, but it gets better.
Do you spam skip text without reading it (especially since you have restarted them several times)? These games need you to take your time and they are way less enjoyable when skimming through text, being stressed about other things and wanting to rush through. Personally, I find that I don't enjoy them as much in small sessions.

Last edited:
First of all, there is no hivemind consensus about Shitmaker. A lot of more respected Codexers will tell you it's either "good for what it is" or "crap". There is an autistic contingent here that loves it, but I think if every Codexer who played it would give it a rating, it would probably come out around 7/10, way lower than many other games on top lists.

But since you asked, here's Porky's top 10 list of ways to enjoy Shitmaker:

1. Drink half a bottle of Everclear
2. Do a shot every time Linzi whines something pointless when you click on her
3. Play Shitmaker to cleanse the palate before switching to Baldur's Gate
4. Install a mod to add bending over animations to your caster backline, for when invisible extra mobs inevitably spawn behind them in the middle of a fight.
5. Run a group of 6 wizards, install mod with dancing, have said 6 wizards dance the Macarena while simultaneously casting 6 Wails of the Banshee.
6. Run a character on Insane with the following self-imposed restrictions: no weapons or armor or spells. If you get past the first assassin in prologue, drink the other half of Everclear.
7. Say "I am a good person and good things will happen to me today" every time you run into an unbalanced fight in Shitmaker where your party is wiped out by an enemy who has ridiculous stats.
8. Look at Nyrissa's pictures in the game, and say to yourself "well, at least she is not my wife"
9. Try to hit the Load Game menu link on first try, while the menu rotates.

and number 10. Use uninstall.exe for a cathartic release.

frajaq

Erudite
my advice is check out the Bag of Tricks mod and see if theres anything in the settings that can make your experience while playing the game less of a chore (like encumbrance/party speed/kingdom events/BP for buildings)

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/26

if it doesnt just follow moleman advice, dont feel like you HAVE to enjoy a game just because a couple of omega pathfinder autists in these forums enjoy it a lot

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
So, here's the deal. I've been trying to play Pathfinder:Kingmaker (after giving up for the 10th time on NWN 2) for weeks already and I just can't enjoy it.

It feels like a chore. The game makes me feel as if I'm being conned somehow, the same feeling I get when I try to play NWN 2 (even MotB). And I swear to god that I've tried many times along the years.

So as a last attempt I humbly ask you, does anyone here have some secret recipe to enjoy those two games? Any tips? Did you folks enjoy it on the first time? Or had to try many times to find enjoyment in it?

Thank you!

Even if you play with Kingdom on "auto" or "effortless" you still need something like Cheat Menu or Bag of Tricks to truly be safe from game-breaking issues. I also used Fast Travel and Scale XP to make the game worth playing.

If that doesn't help, fuck it. It's not you, the game is retarded.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Thank you!

I mean if you don't like a game then you don't like a game.

For me AoD is overrated unfun game that I would refund if only I didn't spend too much time trying to figure out the game before realizing it is 4 linear game packed into one. A game where you chose what smaller-game to play on character creation. Where after playing all 4 of that and an Excel spreadsheet documenting everything you can actually play an actual open ended RPG.

For me PfK has been the most fun I have since Baldur's gate 1 and 2. For me the writing is fun, certainly not worse than original BG and certainly better than NWN 1 and 2 OC. Gameplay is pretty much 3.5 D&D which is fun. Pacing is very tight and rarely feels you are catapulted from one fetch quest to another.

Mods make it better but if you dislike the base game then it won't help you. The TB mod is hit or miss. Some people who are TB fanatics said that it makes the game playable. For me the game becomes a snooze fest with TB with exception for major battles. Some like usual are neutral about it.

Don't get peer pressured to like a game mate.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't get peer pressured to like a game mate.
How is it possible to be "peer pressured" to like something? Is it a zoomer / snowflake thingy?

I mean its everywhere in the Codex. People trying to hard to be edgy conservatives just to fit in. People trying to dislike something on virtue on disliking it (say, anything related to Obsidian). Or the mentality that if you like something new then you are decline bringing harbinger or something.

I guess in case of Codex it is peer pressure to not like something :lol: but in the end it is there.

jac8awol

Arbiter
You've got a dude asking how to like a game. Obviously he's feeling some sort of pressure or mental disturbance to like this game that all his 'friends' like. That's peer pressure in action right there. It's funny as hell, like me going to the high school guidance counsellor and looking for tips on how to get in with the dnd cool kids

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
>How to enjoy playing Kingmaker?
Lower the difficulty. Seriously. Playing on the higher difficulties can cause serious burn out. I suggest playing on normal, then increasing it when it gets too easy.

Play a build that you will enjoy. For me, its the simple things. I like punching shit in the face with my FISTS! I got over a THOUSAND hours from kingmaker. Most of that time was spent playing MONKS! In short look for a class that you will enjoy. Don't bother min maxing it. Just play and try to have fun.

Play in short sessions. Sometimes long sessions can end up burning you out. Try to edge yourself in slowly. Play for an hour or so. Then take a break and play something else.

Don't reload. Sometimes reloading can end up ruining the fun, and burn you out. Accept the rolls and try to play around it.

This is a very text heavy game, and will lead to too much reading. I suggest taking a break when you get too tired from reading the text. I DON'T suggest skipping all the dialogue.

If worse comes to shove, just play something else entirely. Just because the Codex or whatever, says this game is the best game. It doesn't mean you have to force yourself to play it.

>And as I deeply respect the hivemind consensus
That's your mistake. Can you imagine HOW FOOKED! I will be if I trusted the fooking chan hivemind? I will be playing some terrible game, and hating myself for it. All because some retarded image board declared it as a must play.

>So as a last attempt I humbly ask you, does anyone here have some secret recipe to enjoy those two games?
No secret recipe to liking a game, my man. If you hate it. Drop it. No point in forcing yourself.

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom