Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview "How to make a Torment game" - Mega-Interview with Kevin Saunders and Adam Heine at Iron Tower

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    At which point I likely will have overleveled those difficult challenges they said they'd have. So wizard-who-has-more-mp-than-hp.

^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

:lol: You sure love jumping to conclusions.

But okay, let's try to bring this issue to CMcC's attention and clear it up once and for all.

Edit: Or maybe Adam Heine's. :smug:

^ Top  
  3. Maiandros Learned Possibly Retarded

Maiandros
    choo choo, anyone here it?

Will be awesomz!!! Let's build some moar hype !1!!

choo choo

sick and fucking tired of all this shit..your retweets, your RSSs, your youtubes and myspaces and whatever the fuck else you use. More tools, more dependencies, less of a substance in the end. Anchors added, and something lost. Tap your brain into the intricacies of digitised nothingness and relish the nonsensic experience some more.
    sad that a good number of people find such -interviews- matters worthy of discussion;

choo choo

i know..Must be early menopause..or maybe my period

choo choo

what do you see when you look in your mirror dear RPG freak?

choo choo

^ Top  
  4. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    I think we already pretty much know the game will be easy, just like Torment was. Game's target audience is not X-COM fans, after all. This is a game about reading blocks of text.

^ Top  
  5. ksaun Arcane Developer

ksaun

Calendar time or real time? =)
    I don't have enough experience writing dialogue to write for this game. =)

Haha... by the "writing organizational approach" part I meant just the first paragraph, which was a summary of things we've said in greater detail before. The rest we hadn't explicitly talked about.

We intend to have an urgency mechanic, yes. A few intentionally noncommittal comments (i.e., they shouldn't be read as necessarily being relevant to Torment):
    • I think that could be rather predictable and boring if the "rules" of any urgency mechanic remained constant throughout the entirety of a game.
    • Returning to some previously visited areas can be an excellent way to realize the consequences of your decisions.
    • When returning to a previously visited area, the inhabitants may not be the same as your last visit (including in terms of effective combat difficulty). A game's world may not have been sitting still while you roamed.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  6. jewboy Arbiter

jewboy
    Wow. Great interview. It's funny that some people commented about its length (even Infinitron!), but if anything it seemed too short to me. Great questions as expected from Vince. The real surpise was Kevin's answers. Very well written and well thought out.

^ Top  
  7. hiver Guest

hiver
    That would be excellent.

How are you (as in whole team) - strictly theoretically speaking of course - feeling about some time limits in quests - but only where appropriate due to narrative and setup of those quests and without "game over" result?
    Speaking of sub quests, of course - not the main quest.

^ Top  
  8. Monty Arcane

Monty
    Yes, great interview. As usual, some pointless try-hard responses on here.

The game sounds better and better.

^ Top  
  9. Adam Heine Arcane Developer

Adam Heine
    Favorable.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    Level scaling. Hee.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Do we need to have another discussion about the difference between encounter scaling a-la BG2 and Oblivion-style "all bandits get glass armor" level scaling

Besides, even PE will have scaling of major encounters on the critical path, remember?

^ Top  
  12. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    I don't really care about level scaling. I just know it causes kneejerk rage with some posters.

^ Top  
  13. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Of course you don't. You just have kneejerk rage about important stuff like writers you've never read working on the game.

^ Top  
  14. Harg Harfardarssen Cipher Patron

Harg Harfardarssen
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Great interview. I though question 5, on skills, was particularly interesting for explaining some of the complexity involved in designing skills and the way the in-game usefulness of skills can affect and be affected by other aspects of the game design process and team. I know I wouldn't have thought about the potential for an artist's strength in interior designs affecting wilderness survival:

Edit:

Also, on skipping combat, I think some of the best encounter dungeon design involves great combat that you will always be thinking about avoiding for reasons of balancing risks and rewards. Every combat encounter can be "skippable", but you are skipping for tactical reasons (to preserve resources, the risk of defeat is too high etc.).

^ Top  
  15. hiver Guest

hiver
    Marvelous.

Bad form Roquey,... bad form.
    and its not funny.

Even better - if skipping combat isnt just about skipping itself, but results in different consequences.

Tangentially - i had a nice idea of a "faction" or a settlement or something like it, where people will be modeled around old Japanese sense of honor and ideas of sepuku or honorary death in combat.
    Therefore - spearing a life of one of them that you just defeated or even avoiding combat would result in various negative consequences.
    While killing would bring positive reactions - though that doesnt mean they would automatically start to love you because thats too simplistic and doesnt correspond to such cultural mindset at all.

That would depend on narration and plots and specifics of situation you get yourself into, with that faction or settlement or cult.
    But killing or not killing, engaging in combat or avoiding it would have great influence on it all.

^ Top  
  16. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    Don't need to read 'em to know I won't like 'em.

^ Top  
  17. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Yeah, baby! Roguey don't need'ta die 'ta know she's alive!

:yeah:

:dance:

Adam Heine Which market did you buy that kid from?

^ Top  
  18. janjetina Arcane Patron

janjetina
    Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Developers' mindset and intentions look right. They have mastered the theory, let's see what practice brings.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. crawlkill Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!

crawlkill
    Have not finished reading, but how fucking cool is it that Adam's theme for the game is actually something that's, like...personally important to him? It's almost as if...people creating games...put pieces of themselves into them, just like people making anything else. I don't think the "Are games art?" question is important, but I also don't see how anyone can read a conversation like this and be in any doubt of it.

^ Top  
  20. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It's easy to doubt when people every are calling The Last of us, which is, let me remind you, a fucking zombie invasion title, the best game ever.

It's not the medium, it's the audience.

^ Top  
  21. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Well...without getting into that old debate I will say one thing which almost brought a tear to my eye while reading--the difference between Kevin and Adam's wonderfully thought-provoking responses regarding their design intent and, well, idiots like these guys:

:hearnoevil: :balance:

It's nice to know there actually are people working on games who are attempting to be intellectually stimulating to any degree. Whether or not they're successful doesn't even matter as much as knowing, contrary to those fucking Bethesda clowns, there are people out there trying.

^ Top  
  22. Gurkog Erudite

Gurkog
    Project: Eternity
    BGS clowns don't care as long as the dew swillin', dorrito munching hordes can drool over their controllers while mashing the 'awesome' button for a quick ego stroke. The zombie invasion is going to take over the world not by eating the living, but by being a larger physical presence.

^ Top  
  23. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    ksaun are we to understand that game will be fairly linear?

^ Top  
  24. ksaun Arcane Developer

ksaun
    I'm hesitant to answer your question directly because I don't know precisely what implications come with your definition of "fairly linear." =) So instead I'll say some things that maybe get at what you and others may be curious about.

When the two aspects are at odds with each other, we are favoring greater reactivity over greater freedom. (Generally speaking, the more non-linear the game, the more effort it is to have robust reactivity because there are more permutations to account for. This is not an absolute.)

You will often have choices about what you do/where you go next. You won't be able to go anywhere at any time. In general, I expect players will have considerable freedom, but we'll use story-based gates (and other techniques as well) to allow us to create the high degree of reactivity we want while keeping the scope of work manageable.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    ksaun People want comparisons. How linear will it be compared to PS:T?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)