Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to set up Ultima VII in Exult - A Guide by Jaesun

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Necroing is OK.
Failure to use capital letters and ending sentences with "lol" is a bannable offense, though.

Aenra

if you're on a apt-get linux distro
i actually had to look that up, i assume that answers your question.. but thank you for the link, always happy to learn :)

octavius
hey, am taking advantage of my newfag privileges here; Give me a couple of years and i'll be shitting razors, promise ^^

Anyway, for those like myself (god help you, but it can happen), if you have the GOG version but still want to follow Jaesun's guide:
and you should, it looks glooooorious in 800x600 and the roland soundtracks make one hell of a difference
- Do not install the gog version, all you need is having the setup executable itself [setup_ultima_7_complete.exe]

- Download Universal Extractor from here:
http://legroom.net/software/uniextract
[you want to click on the uppermost link in the download section, says installer]

- After installing it, run it, direct it to your gog Ultima setup file and have it extract all files in a temporary folder

- Browse to said temp folder, inside it look for a subfolder named "&app"

- Opening that, you will see inside two sub-sub folders named SERPENT and ULTIMA7 respectively.

- You can now follow Jaesun's guide; cut and paste those folders, as they are, as per the original guide. No install necessary

Last edited by a moderator:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Cheers for this guide Jaesun, even a dumb fuck like me can manage this, and I fancied a bit of Britannian argy bargy.

Don't suppose anyone knows whether there's a portrait pack for the Serpent Isle? The male blonde Avatar in that is one derpy looking mother fucker, mind you fems tasty but I don't play birds, why can't they have one that looks like the classical Ultima VI version?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cheers for this guide Jaesun, even a dumb fuck like me can manage this, and I fancied a bit of Britannian argy bargy.

Don't suppose anyone knows whether there's a portrait pack for the Serpent Isle? The male blonde Avatar in that is one derpy looking mother fucker, mind you fems tasty but I don't play birds, why can't they have one that looks like the classical Ultima VI version?

But he does look like the Ultima VI version:

u6avatar.gif
siavatar.gif

As opposed to the harder-faced Ultima VII/Ultima IX version:

10611.gif
300px-Avatar_Ultima_IX.jpg

Neanderthal

Arcane
He looks like a duck faced Rick Moranis, i'd prefer any of the other three, that face I just wanna punch.

Truth told i'd prefer even buckethead from Pagan.

Speaking of which did anybody else think that the portraits from VI were much better than the Black Gate in general?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Never mind I was being a fucking numpty, just got to stick Avatar Pack in SI patch or SIFixes data folder.

Just FYI (and glad you bumped this thread so I could change the links), download the Blackgate Keyring|SI Fixes mods ONLY from the download page http://exult.sourceforge.net/download.php

The versions on the Links page are WAY out of date and will break the game.

The Avatar Pack *should* work just fine, as it is only changing some art files. I am not 100% sure on this though, so you have been warned.

Viata

Arcane
Thanks for the guide Jaesun.
I was trying to play the game with the GOG version, but the game was not running on my notebook. So Sheep (thanks too) told me to use Exult and send this guide to help me. Now I'm playing this lovely game again after some years. :love:

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
I can't fucking stand dosbox and been meaning to play Ultima 7 for almost 20 years now but thanks to this guide and Exult i can finally experience this classic.

Thanks Jaesun.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Did they fix the game breaking bugs? I remember devs running into particularly difficult to resolve issues that made finishing the game under exult a craps shoot. Resolved?

Edit.. I think you already answered yes at some point... I blame my age for forgetting.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Did they fix the game breaking bugs? I remember devs running into particularly difficult to resolve issues that made finishing the game under exult a craps shoot. Resolved?

Yes, so far no one is reporting that bug that was causing the game breaking behavior. Someone came in and re-wrote some object handling code IIRC. Now it is all smooth sailing ahead...

dawgface

Barely Literate
Hi, Jaesun--this page really helped me with getting the Keying/SIfixes set up correctly. Thank you for doing all of this. I'm curious though--I noticed that there is a mod on Exult page for playing Ultima 6 with the U7 look. I tried to get that to work with my set up, but I could not make sense of the readme, especially concerning the editing of the exult.cfg file. I was hoping you might have some insight as to how to fix this. I use Win7, and have the GoG version of Ultima. Take Care.

Vale

G

I can't help you with that mod, but have you tried Nuvie? It's an engine re-implementation like Exult, but for U6 and it makes the game a lot more accessible.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Hi, Jaesun--this page really helped me with getting the Keying/SIfixes set up correctly. Thank you for doing all of this. I'm curious though--I noticed that there is a mod on Exult page for playing Ultima 6 with the U7 look. I tried to get that to work with my set up, but I could not make sense of the readme, especially concerning the editing of the exult.cfg file. I was hoping you might have some insight as to how to fix this. I use Win7, and have the GoG version of Ultima. Take Care.

Vale

G

I have never tried that mod, and as far as I recall, it was mostly just a tec demo. It's pretty much a waste of time. For now, what the guy above said is perfect for playing Ultima VI (also it works just fine in DOSBox, but I believe Nuvie fixes a bunch of bugs).

There IS a project that has been in the works for many years, where a guy named AgentOrangeGuy has been using the Exult engine and fully re-creating Ultima VI in the Ultima VII engine, via Exult. I would just wait for that. But it is still in development and who knows when it will be finished sadly. But the progress he has shown looks fantastic. http://www.ultima6.realmofultima.com/

dawgface

Barely Literate

Vale

G

I have never tried that mod, and as far as I recall, it was mostly just a tec demo. It's pretty much a waste of time. For now, what the guy above said is perfect for playing Ultima VI (also it works just fine in DOSBox, but I believe Nuvie fixes a bunch of bugs).

There IS a project that has been in the works for many years, where a guy named AgentOrangeGuy has been using the Exult engine and fully re-creating Ultima VI in the Ultima VII engine, via Exult. I would just wait for that. But it is still in development and who knows when it will be finished sadly. But the progress he has shown looks fantastic. http://www.ultima6.realmofultima.com/

Alright--thanks for the feedback, guys. I really appreciate it.

dawgface

Barely Literate
Hey,

U7BG worked fine with keyring, but now I have a new question. I can load Serpent up with SIfixes installed--intro screen displays the label SIfixes--, but the avatar pack does not work with Serpent. The character selection screen has none of the new portraits featured in keyring mod for U7BG. I reinstalled and followed Jaesun's instructions again, making sure that there were no BG files mixed with Serpent directories. The avatar pack readme did not help wither. Take Care.

Vale

G

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Necroing.

Is there some way to reduce MIDI music volume? I'm desperate enough to mess with the sources.

On Windows it's horrible, they have a way to build using mingw-w64, BUT the resulting binary is fully unable to play game sounds (only music). Must have all of SDL and other shit built for given MSVC version. mingw-w64 is a lost cause.

The Jester

Cipher
Last Activity: Jul 12, 2020
He's dead isn't he?
a98-removebg-preview.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom