Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How would you rate Pillars of Eternity?

How many doritos/10 PoE deserve?

• 10 (A modern classic, you did it Obsidian!)

Votes: 42 10.5%
  • 9 (Great game, although it has some minor problems.)

Votes: 102 25.4%
  • 8 (Good job Obsidian, but it is not as good as I hoped.)

Votes: 75 18.7%
  • 7 (Nice game, but nothing spectacular.)

Votes: 46 11.5%
  • 6 (Ehh, it's above average, but it is a disappointment.)

Votes: 50 12.5%
  • 5 (Meh, it is mediocre.)

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • 4 (The game has some good stuff, but tons of bad.)

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • 3 (Shamefur dispray Obsidian, the game is awful.)

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • 2 (The game is one of the worst cRPGs in recent years.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 (Game is garbage on every front.)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Fucking rating systems, what mainstream shit is this? (Kingcomrade)

Votes: 27 6.7%

• Total voters

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Many if you probably sinked a lot of time into PoE already, even though I doubt anyone finished it by now. How do you rate the game, based on its own merit, and not comparing to the IE games?

I would rate it a 9/10. It is a great game. Great atmosphere, art and music. The story is intriquing, I'm very much interested in how will it unfold. The ruleset is decent, not as great as 2nd or 3.5 Edition D&D (fuck you, 3.5 ed is good), but it is fun. Combat is also nice, even though it is more like Dragon Age Origins, than Baldur's Gate. But it's fun, and that's what matters.

Edit: If you think that it is too early to give it a rating, nobody is forcing you to do it now. :)

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Where's my "Good for what it is"? :rpgcodex:

Game is 'k, but with lots of annoying design decisions that sap the fun out of it after a few hours. Sawyer has succeeded in killing fun.

Morkar Left

Still way too early but it looks like they delivered. The fleshed out gameworld alone surprised me. Mechanics aren't bad but I would have made some things differently (more skillbased, more skills, tweaked combat mechanics etc.).

Everything looks at least solid, most of it even great. Overall it improves the BG formula. If it will be better than BGT depends heavily on encounter design (and stats) and how combat will unfold.

According to the level-system it looks like they are looking for an import feature of your char in a PoE 2. At least I hope.

The game could really turn out to be an improved BGT.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
A 6 ,this game is the epitome of generic fantasy garbage.They just didnt even tried to make their own game,it feels like a carbon copy of Baldurs Gate.I didn't ask for another Baldurs gate ,i wanted a good game ,a unique game and what do i get? Baldurs Pillars Gate Of Eternity.

The writing is mediocre,they tried so much to emulate the Planescape style ,but they failed miserably.I'm in the second ''city'' and i have yet to see an interesting quest that doesn't involve ''Get my purse'' ,'' Fine me a cure'' ,''Kill this for me'', so what happened?
It's like they wasted their whole development time to create the lore,that feel so forced on you,they keep telling you about the cheesy GADHUMMERRRR ,the LEGUCYYY and so on....i don't care about any of that ,they keep trying to make it interesting but it's just not,it's just another fantasy gibberish plot.

I have so many complaints about this game and knowing that they want to make a sequel for this game,it makes me sick...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I have so many complaints about this game and knowing that they want to make a sequel for this game,it makes me sick...
lol

their best rated game ever, probably selling very well too.
it's also the kind of game they want to work on.
why wouldn't they want to make a sequel?

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
's pretty good. I can muster a hundred complaints about it over so many things, big and small, and yet I'm engrossed and keep on playing anyway. I wish they could have taken a step away from the generic shlock they're stuck with and gone all out Mask of the Betrayer/Rasheman with the spirits stuff, but I'll take what's on offer.

The only thing that hampered enjoyment was the engagement system, but the IE-mod came to save the day there.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
lol

their best rated game ever, probably selling very well too.
it's also the kind of game they want to work on.
why wouldn't they want to make a sequel?

Do people really want the same regurgitated generic garbage again and again ? Sadly i already know the answer,yet i stay true by my score,it's an average game that sold well because it had the Obsidian name stapled on it.I backed this game because i loved Mask of the Betrayer ,i also enjoyed Kotor 2 and this game pales when it comes to decent writing.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Dude, isn't a bit early? I'm still in caed nua for the first time:oops:

For now is everything I hoped and wanted, a game in the gameplay style and presentation of Baldur's Gate, with the design philosphy and writing of Obsidian. Basically Baldur's Gate meets Fallout.

The setting is engaging as hell, and some quests really shine at the start(Raedric's Hold quest is a masterful work in design), even if the start is very exploration driven and very low key, there's some glimpses of brillance already and some very cool dungeons and encounters. So, very happy right now.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

For now is everything I hoped and wanted, a game in the gameplay style and presentation of Baldur's Gate, with the design philosphy and writing of Obsidian. Basically Baldur's Gate meets Fallout.

The setting is engaging as hell, and some quests really shine at the start(Raedric's Hold quest is a masterful work in design), even if the start is very exploration driven and very low key, there's some glimpses of brillance already and some very cool dungeons and encounters. So, very happy right now.

Would you be so kind and tell my why is Raedric quest such a masterful work?
Because from what i remember ,it has 2 outcomes that doesn't have any repercusion beside some fluffy stuff like ''people are happy because he's dead'' and some meaningless reputation gain depending on your choice of whom to put on the throne .

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Gave it an 8/10. I'd grade the game at a B, although I'm still quite early into it.

I absolutely love these kinds of games. The vibe I'm picking up from it, combined with its obvious BG and IWD tones, is some Diablo in there for its atmosphere and maybe even a little Arcanum for its somewhat unconventional themes, although it's still fairly generic high fantasy.

Commented to Irenaeus last night that each play session in PoE reminds me of a PnP D&D session. There's not much higher praise than I can give than that.

If the writing were more creative and elegant (some seriously poor grammar and phrasing in there) and if there were less bugs I'd rate the thing at as high as a 9/10. But I need to keep going to see if that holds up.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Voted 9, even with my feverish hate for rtwp.

I like it sofar and i really dont get the hate for the writing/setting or mechanics in the other thread, but hey, i guess for puritan Codexians not much is good enough.

I will wait for the patch before progressing further though.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
-Satisfying quest design that gives good alternative ways of resolving quests
-combat is far better than it was in the IE games
-the pre rendered backgrounds + little effects make it a very beautiful game to look at
-I like the soundtrack
-they have made all the classes pretty interesting. So far I'd say that the Wizard is the least interesting choice of the caster classes which is rather ironic

It has its flaws, but I voted it a 10 because I can see this being a classic that I'll play for years to come just as I play the IE games. I'll be interested to see what they do with PoE2. With the engine done, the ruleset done and the lore done all they can go for is bigger and better; hopefully it'll be to BG2 what PoE is to BG1.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Way too early for a final verdict.
The rule-set is way more imbalanced than I expected. And currently the bugs are really hurting the experience. But overall much more fun than I expected. A beautiful game (though I expeted this), great companions (a pleasant surprize), and I'm liking the combat so far (although it seems to be very polarizing). Might become repetitive over time. Has already become quite easy (on Hard), but as I said, too early to judge.
Disregarding the bugs I'd currently give a 8/10. Which is the same rating that I'd give BG2. (But as I said, still very early.)

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Would you be so kind and tell my why is Raedric quest such a masterful work?
Because from what i remember ,it has 2 outcomes that doesn't have any repercusion beside some fluffy stuff like ''people are happy because he's dead'' and some meaningless reputation gain depending on your choice of whom to put on the throne .

It's not only the final C&C I'm talking about. The multiple aproaches you can take, both outside and inside the castle, the layout of the dungeon/sewers, were different types of challenges awaits depending where you go (the dungeons in this game have all its path very connected, putting locked doors that reaquire high skill to bypass combat, or face traps if you want to keep safe from engaging enemies, it's really well made in this regard), also the multiple alliances you can make between the 4 "sorta main characters" involved in that quest... the only thing I miss in terms of quest design is a pacific choice tied to the cypher class or really high lore or resolve, to try to convince Raedric to tone down his views (although it shouldn't be a "best outcome", just a pacific resolution that makes things a tiny bit better for the villagers but doesn't really solves anything), but outside of that, is fantastic design.

LeJosh

Savant
Steam says 25 hours played but I'd say it's too early for an overall rating.

How would I rate the first act? I liked it, the world building put some off but I like unfamiliar terms to be used as a hook to found out what exactly they are and how they effect the world.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
8/10 if you're an RPG fan that considers mid-late 90s to be the golden era and like RTWP
9/10 if you're the above and like Sawyer's design philosophy (banalce, percentages, engagement etc.)
10/10 If you're an Obsidian fanboy (high retard of the Obsidian Order or some such nonsense)
11+/10 compared to post DAO Bioware offerings, Bethesduh hiking sims and other modern "RPGs".

I fall in the 8/10 group, I expect the sequel (or even expansion) to be 9/10.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I voted 9. Beta left me with a sour taste, game is WAY better than I thought it would be. Incredible job for 4-5 million I must say.

Simply the isometric view and pre-rendered world is just so pleasant to look at, makes my heart melt. :codexisfor:

I'll be interested to see what they do with PoE2. With the engine done, the ruleset done and the lore done all they can go for is bigger and better; hopefully it'll be to BG2 what PoE is to BG1.

Yep. The possibilities. :bounce:

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
8/10 if you're an RPG fan that considers mid-late 90s to be the golden era and like RTWP
9/10 if you're the above and like Sawyer's design philosophy (banalce, percentages, engagement etc.)
10/10 If you're an Obsidian fanboy (high retard of the Obsidian Order or some such nonsense)
11+/10 compared to post DAO Bioware offerings, Bethesduh hiking sims and other modern "RPGs".

I fall in the 8/10 group, I expect the sequel (or even expansion) to be 9/10.

Lol I check for all the options you mentioned.

38/10 it is for me, then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom