Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How would you rate Pillars of Eternity?

How many doritos/10 PoE deserve?

• 10 (A modern classic, you did it Obsidian!)

Votes: 42 10.5%
  • 9 (Great game, although it has some minor problems.)

Votes: 102 25.4%
  • 8 (Good job Obsidian, but it is not as good as I hoped.)

Votes: 75 18.7%
  • 7 (Nice game, but nothing spectacular.)

Votes: 46 11.5%
  • 6 (Ehh, it's above average, but it is a disappointment.)

Votes: 50 12.5%
  • 5 (Meh, it is mediocre.)

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • 4 (The game has some good stuff, but tons of bad.)

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • 3 (Shamefur dispray Obsidian, the game is awful.)

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • 2 (The game is one of the worst cRPGs in recent years.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 (Game is garbage on every front.)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Fucking rating systems, what mainstream shit is this? (Kingcomrade)

Votes: 27 6.7%

• Total voters

Reapa

Doom Preacher
There is not a single thing that BG does better than PoE. Writing, C&Cs and reactivity are very good in PoE and almost non-existent in BG. Area maps are noticeably higher res with more detail. More interaction with the game world. And yes, the music.

Some might claim the combat in BG is better, but the combat was what I hated the most about BG and I had to turn on cheats just to get through it all. I've never been tempted to do that in PoE.

Don't agree about the combat in regards to BG, but I agree on your points about PoE. Also the quest design is miles above BG and most RPGs outside the usual suspects (Fallouts, Arcanum...), something most codexers should appreciate.

Most classics, if looked with the same scrutiny as this "kickstarter renaissance", wouldn't hold up as the greatest things ever as well. As always, time should put everything in it's place.

But all this meticulous criticism should be great feedback for next iterations, so I'm not exactly complaining.
Most classics were done by devs under the rule of fascist-imperialistic publishers (or so would some people will have you believe) and would have been much better with dev freedom. So Obsidian got 1 chance to deliver something that without publisher meddling should have shined like a fucking diamond above all classics even the best ones. PoE on the other hand turns out to have failed miserably at that, being only good as a reminder of what good games used to look like.
adding josh sawyer to the equation with his ideals about balance and how games have to be played instead of what games should contain didn't help at all. yes the game is better than most other new shit but i don't see how that matters at all. it's not like anyone is trying to decide whether to play PoE or DA:I. And if they do, fuck them anyway. But stepping on your pride and giving this piece of average shit any higher than 5 or 6 is just trying desperatly to make a point about wanting to have more infinity engine style games and less about what it deserves from a forum that doesn't scale to levels.
although come to think of it codex is not what it used to be anyway. i has become desperate. it will take any shit you give it and call it art if it remotely resembles an rpg. it keeps having to look at the old gems and decide it can't compare the new ones with them and compares the new ones with other new shit that comes along instead. much too often do i have to read arguments like: but look at skyrim, look at dragon age, look at wasteland, look at how after 15 years there has been no incline so this new shit must be it. it's a pitiful gathering of rpgfans that waits for a messiah that will probably never come, realizes that and substitutes it with any false prophet that comes along and sucking any dick they have to if it promises incline.

Deleted member 7219

50 hours in, and I'm almost there. I get the feeling like I've done everything I possibly can. All companion quests, everything from Act 1 and Act 2, all levels of Od Nua except the end boss (extremely difficult, I'm going to have to really think this one through). Just got the last two main quests in Act 3 to do and then whatever follows. I'm getting really excited by the prospect of those end slides, but the competionist in me won't let it happen until I finish Od Nua level 15.

I tried it with my melee chanter, ranged chanter, tank fighter, ranged wizard, ranger w/ wolf, melee priest (Durance) and got absolutely whalloped.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
50 hours in, and I'm almost there. I get the feeling like I've done everything I possibly can. All companion quests, everything from Act 1 and Act 2, all levels of Od Nua except the end boss (extremely difficult, I'm going to have to really think this one through). Just got the last two main quests in Act 3 to do and then whatever follows. I'm getting really excited by the prospect of those end slides, but the competionist in me won't let it happen until I finish Od Nua level 15.

I tried it with my melee chanter, ranged chanter, tank fighter, ranged wizard, ranger w/ wolf, melee priest (Durance) and got absolutely whalloped.
off topic, you idiot

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
eLWYrUp.jpg

Jezal_k23

I'm going through the game but I'm taking it slower than you are. I'm down to level 8 of the Endless Paths and funnily enough level 3 was the hardest by far. Pretty fun though, I'm enjoying exploring it a lot, even though it's not as hard as I expected it to be thus far (other than level 3, fucking Ogres). Does another difficulty spike like that occur again down below, other than the boss itself?

Mareus

Magister
There is not a single thing that BG does better than PoE. Writing, C&Cs and reactivity are very good in PoE and almost non-existent in BG. Area maps are noticeably higher res with more detail. More interaction with the game world. And yes, the music.

Some might claim the combat in BG is better, but the combat was what I hated the most about BG and I had to turn on cheats just to get through it all. I've never been tempted to do that in PoE.

Don't agree about the combat in regards to BG, but I agree on your points about PoE. Also the quest design is miles above BG and most RPGs outside the usual suspects (Fallouts, Arcanum...), something most codexers should appreciate.

Most classics, if looked with the same scrutiny as this "kickstarter renaissance", wouldn't hold up as the greatest things ever as well. As always, time should put everything in it's place.

But all this meticulous criticism should be great feedback for next iterations, so I'm not exactly complaining.
Most classics were done by devs under the rule of fascist-imperialistic publishers (or so would some people will have you believe) and would have been much better with dev freedom. So Obsidian got 1 chance to deliver something that without publisher meddling should have shined like a fucking diamond above all classics even the best ones. PoE on the other hand turns out to have failed miserably at that, being only good as a reminder of what good games used to look like.
adding josh sawyer to the equation with his ideals about balance and how games have to be played instead of what games should contain didn't help at all. yes the game is better than most other new shit but i don't see how that matters at all. it's not like anyone is trying to decide whether to play PoE or DA:I. And if they do, fuck them anyway. But stepping on your pride and giving this piece of average shit any higher than 5 or 6 is just trying desperatly to make a point about wanting to have more infinity engine style games and less about what it deserves from a forum that doesn't scale to levels.
although come to think of it codex is not what it used to be anyway. i has become desperate. it will take any shit you give it and call it art if it remotely resembles an rpg. it keeps having to look at the old gems and decide it can't compare the new ones with them and compares the new ones with other new shit that comes along instead. much too often do i have to read arguments like: but look at skyrim, look at dragon age, look at wasteland, look at how after 15 years there has been no incline so this new shit must be it. it's a pitiful gathering of rpgfans that waits for a messiah that will probably never come, realizes that and substitutes it with any false prophet that comes along and sucking any dick they have to if it promises incline.
^This.. or probably you are just retarded.

Deleted member 7219

I'm going through the game but I'm taking it slower than you are. I'm down to level 8 of the Endless Paths and funnily enough level 3 was the hardest by far. Pretty fun though, I'm enjoying exploring it a lot, even though it's not as hard as I expected it to be thus far (other than level 3, fucking Ogres). Does another difficulty spike like that occur again down below, other than the boss itself?

It all depends what level your characters are. I did the first third of Endless Paths before I got my party to lv 8, then I did the second third around lv 10, finally I did the final third around lv 11 or 12. I reckon I was a little overpowered for each section. All except the final boss of course.

Kuurth

Novice
BG2 > PoE. The only enjoyable things about this game are the pistol, the arquebus and Durance. Nothing better than mowing down your enemies with a barrage of cleansing fire. Durance with a chainmail and an arquebus looks like a conquistador.

hue

Reapa

Doom Preacher

^This.. or probably you are just retarded.
nice comeback. i give it a 10/10.
no one will ever think that you are retarded if you don't have a red label. on the other hand having a label will diminish the quality of your posts, turn truths into lies and vice versa if it suits the people who bring up the fact that you have a label.
just look at the fucking poll. there are people here giving this shit a 10/10. so where does that leave bg2, arcanum and PS:T? at a 20/10?
fucking learn to fucking think before you fucking post.

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
no one will ever think that you are retarded if you don't have a red label. on the other hand having a label will diminish the quality of your posts, turn truths into lies and vice versa if it suits the people who bring up the fact that you have a label.
just look at the fucking poll. there are people here giving this shit a 10/10. so where does that leave bg2, arcanum and PS:T? at a 20/10?
You're taking this too literally. 10/10 for someone means they love the game. Doesn't mean its a perfect game. Relax chump.

Mareus

Magister
a.) It wasn't a comeback.
b.) The quality of my reply was supposed to resemble the quality of your post, which was utter shit.

You just assume that people are giving PoE a free pass because they are desperate for IE type of games, without actually explaining why PoE is such a mediocre piece of shit as you describe it. That is a definition of a shit post in my book, son.

LoL, I didn't even notice that you were branded "possibly retarded" until you mentioned it. Might I inquire as to how you won this miraculous achievement?

Ahh.. it must be precious gems like this one. In case you missed the descriptions next to the numbers, 10/10 just means the game is a modern classic. From the perspective of those descriptions I would also give the game 10/10, because I do believe the game is a modern classic. However, if you ask me how would I grade it with more standardized scale, I would give it 8/10. Obviously the game has some flaws. And please look at my first post in regards to PoE in this thread. It is on page 5, so you can see that I am critical of the game for good reasons, but all of that are really minor annoyances. Nothing that would justify a significant score reduction.

Practice what you preach, son.

:excellent:

Mareus

Magister
There is no way any Romance done by them would be Mature and not catering to those perverts...
Might I inquire as to where do people get these amazing psychic abilities to be able to predict future?

And You are not Sea btw what is with this stealing of personality on Dex lately?
You assume that i stole Sea's avatar, when in fact it was the other way around. I have been using this avatar since 2008, at a time when Sea didn't even exist on these forums. In other words, I am an old fag and on the codex old fag rule applies. Damn it, I thought you were psychic!

Reapa

Doom Preacher
a.) It wasn't a comeback.
b.) The quality of my reply was supposed to resemble the quality of your post, which was utter shit.
easy to state, hard to prove.
You just assume that people are giving PoE a free pass because they are desperate for IE type of games, without actually explaining why PoE is such a mediocre piece of shit as you describe it. That is a definition of a shit post in my book, son.
countless others have done that already. posting on a forum or arguing for that matter doesn't have to start at the very basics every time. if you don't understand the words, use google. if you don't know why the game is a piece of shit by now read the fucking thread you post in. i'm not gonna start defining everything or repeat every post that has already criticized the game just because someone might be too lazy to search/read.

LoL, I didn't even notice that you were branded "possibly retarded" until you mentioned it. Might I inquire as to how you won this miraculous achievement?
yeah, red labels under the avatar are hard to notice, i know. almost as hard as reading the threads you post in.

Ahh.. it must be precious gems like this one. In case you missed the descriptions next to the numbers, 10/10 just means the game is a modern classic. From the perspective of those descriptions I would also give the game 10/10, because I do believe the game is a modern classic. However, if you ask me how would I grade it with more standardized scale, I would give it 8/10. Obviously the game has some flaws. And please look at my first post in regards to PoE in this thread. It is on page 5, so you can see that I am critical of the game for good reasons, but all of that are really minor annoyances. Nothing that would justify a significant score reduction.
i didn't miss the descriptions. those descriptions are the main point of my statement. you might remember that i stated the codex won't even bother to compare the new shit with the old gems any more.
Practice what you preach, son.

:excellent:
your inability to read does not reflect my ability to think before i post. it reflects your inability to read.
also
seriously? this is the last time i bother to comment on your comments.

Mareus

Magister
countless others have done that already. posting on a forum or arguing for that matter doesn't have to start at the very basics every time. if you don't understand the words, use google. if you don't know why the game is a piece of shit by now read the fucking thread you post in.
Nobody is asking you to write a detailed 10 pages report on the game, but you could mention what you had a problem with otherwise it just sounds like farts coming out of your ass. For example, if you had a problem with combat you could write something like: "Combat 4/10 due to engagement and horrible ruleset.", "Story 5/10 - due to bad writing and plot holes (hopefully backed up by 1 or 2 examples).", "Bugs, art style, music... etc." Instead you wrote a wall of text that looks like somebody just took a giant dump.

yeah, red labels under the avatar are hard to notice, i know. almost as hard as reading the threads you post in.
Relax chump. Its all in good jest. Look, they are hard to notice when you are reading the posts from a smartphone which centers the text in such a way that the avatar is not even visible. There. No need to go into baseless assumptions. Your posts are already full of that.

you might remember that i stated the codex won't even bother to compare the new shit with the old gems any more.
And I evaluated your statement as bullshit. You are talking to a guy who gave some comparisons to older games and I am not the only one.

Ahh... the butthurt syndrome. Thanks for making that clear.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
countless others have done that already. posting on a forum or arguing for that matter doesn't have to start at the very basics every time. if you don't understand the words, use google. if you don't know why the game is a piece of shit by now read the fucking thread you post in.
Nobody is asking you to write a detailed 10 pages report on the game, but you could mention what you had a problem with otherwise it just sounds like farts coming out of your ass. For example, if you had a problem with combat you could write something like: "Combat 4/10 due to engagement and horrible ruleset.", "Story 5/10 - due to bad writing and plot holes (hopefully backed up by 1 or 2 examples).", "Bugs, art style, music... etc." Instead you wrote a wall of text that looks like somebody just took a giant dump.

Relax chump. Its all in good jest. Look, they are hard to notice when you are reading the posts from a smartphone which centers the text in such a way that the avatar is not even visible. There. No need to go into baseless assumptions. Your posts are already full of that.

you might remember that i stated the codex won't even bother to compare the new shit with the old gems any more.
And I evaluated your statement as bullshit. You are talking to a guy who gave some comparisons to older games and I am not the only one.

Ahh... the butthurt syndrome. Thanks for making that clear.
i had a problem with the bad writing, the bad combat, the bad stats design, the bad story, the bad pathfinding, the bad AI, the bad itemization, the bad focus on balance, the bad inventory design, the bad companion design, the bad choice of putting fucking backer npcs where npcs should be with various connections to the game itself, the big bad dragons, the bad quest design, the bad reputation design, the bad design of character housing, the bad resting design, the bad choice and consequence design, the bad random loot generator, the bad pricing and economy design... i don't know, there might be more but this just comes to me naturally at the moment. now even if you exchange the word bad before each example with the word average, the game is still a piece of average shit. and make no mistake, if i were to annalize each example it would turn into a detailed 10 pages report on the game, so i'll just assume you've played the game and know what the fuck i'm talking about or at least read some threads here. oh yeah, bugs and music, i don't think i have to mention those. the art style might be the only good thing about the game.
ahh, the smartphone master race :smug:
what you evaluate as bullshit doesn't change shit. if you did any comparison to the really good old games and still come to the conclusion this is a 8/10 you're stupid as fuck.
yeah, i usually don't enjoy conversation with people using words like lol, rofl, swag, yolo and whatever else the smartphone degeneration incorporates in their language.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Reapa you should stop wasting your energy on them, because you can't sway the retards to see what a piece of shit this game is.

This turd feels like a regurgitated version of PT/IW/BG put togther and there's nothing original in this game beside the horrible lore.It feels like Obsidian took the role of a modern Frankestein ,because in 2 freaking years all they did was to dig up used body parts,put them together and voila! ''It's alive '' a deformed monster has risen.
Next time stop copy pasting every infnity game and put some soul in your projects you lazy bastards.

Mareus

Magister
I thought you would not be responding to my posts anymore.

i had a problem with the bad writing, the bad combat, the bad stats design, the bad story, the bad pathfinding, the bad AI, the bad itemization, the bad focus on balance, the bad inventory design, the bad companion design, the bad choice of putting fucking backer npcs where npcs should be with various connections to the game itself, the big bad dragons, the bad quest design, the bad reputation design, the bad design of character housing, the bad resting design, the bad choice and consequence design, the bad random loot generator, the bad pricing and economy design... i don't know, there might be more but this just comes to me naturally at the moment.
Calling things bad still doesn't qualify for a coherent argument, nor does it explain why it is bad. Jesus Christ... you are retarded. But ok... I will just assume here that it doesn't differ from the points others have raised. Let us examine it a bit:

Bad writing: I agree the writing is better in the infinity engine games, but to claim that writing is bad or average in PoE is just retarded. It is more an oscillation between average and great. I mean if you qualify PoE writing as bad, what would you qualify the writing of Skyrim or Oblivion? Ultra-mega-super bad? Look, I consider Bethesda games to have bad writing. Average is what you get with games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect. D: OS had decent writing, Arcanum just slightly better, but I still don't think it is on the same level as PoE. So you have all those games that have worse writing than PoE, and yet you describe PoE writing as bad? Am I the only one to see how retarded your statement is? But even if I granted you that PoE had bad or average writing, writing is just one element of the whole game, and I have played some amazing games with horrible writing. Morrowind being one of them. So even if I granted you this, which I fucking don't, you still have a lot of work ahead of you.

Bad combat and bad stat design: Again, I agree that IE games had better combat. Well.. IWD and BG anyway. PST... not so much, but that is a story driven game and combat is not in such focus. But just as it is the case with writing, I do not think the combat is bad. I justify my reasoning with comparing the combat with IE games and observing just how similar it is and even superior in some elements. There are of course differences due to the new ruleset and engagement system, but nothing too drastic. If PoE has bad combat, then IWD and BG have average combat at best, while PST has ultra-mega-super bad combat. And again, compare PoE combat with Arcanum combat. If PoE has bad combat, then Arcanum has ultra-mega-super bad combat with a shit topping. Still doesn't change the fact Arcanum is one of the best RPGs ever created. Oh and if you want an objective evaluation of combat, you will not get it by whining only about the bad stuff. You also have to take a look at improvements and then take both the bad and the good stuff into account.

For example, the fighter class in BG didn't really have any abilities until Throne of Bhaal. In PoE, fighters actually have abilities and you are much more involved while playing them. Chanters are superior to bards, due to how they combine and stack their power only to unleash them with some interesting effects. All classes are much more flexible in how they will turn out. Yes, I think the fact that PoE allows you to play a genius barbarian is an awesome feature and it adds to character variety both in and out of combat, which is fan-fucking-tastic and that is all I will say about stats. Furthermore, lines of fire, which didn't exist in IE games from what I remember, make positioning of a wizard a much more strategic endeavor since you can actually see the effects of your magic and can actually avoid blasting your whole party to bits. I can't remember how many times in BG I didn't even use certain magical attacks, because there was no way of knowing who it will hit and one wrong move could result in utter clusterfuck. This is one streamlining effect I approve of, because it adds to strategy and you can turn it off in options if you want to play completely hard core. Options are good. The engagement system I actually like, because it prevents the enemies from running between your party members like a confused chicken, while you kill them off with a bow and arrow (a very effective strategy in IE games). Disengaging was never a problem for me like some people here claim, but true I dont play on hard difficulty, or perhaps I am just not retarded. I also like how Obsidian solved the rest to full power "cheat" which people abused in infinity engine games by limiting you how many times you can rest in between combat, while at the same time making resting not a constant need. So the bottom line is this. I still like combat in BG and IWD more, but is combat in PoE bad? No and anyone who claims that the combat is bad either didn't play the game or is just full of shit.

Bad story: Riiiiight... Can you elaborate on this one, because this is completely new to me. From what I read people usually complained about minor annoyances. Not the story. But I am sure it will be brilliant.

Bad pathfinding: This was a problem in older games as well. I don't see any difference really.

The bad AI: You mean like being a carbon copy of the older games except this time the enemies won't be running between your party members like a confused chicken while you pick them off with a bow and arrow? Somehow I fail to see how this qualifies for bad AI.

Bad itemization: Are you talking about random loot here? Yeah, I am not a big fan of that either. But I do get some nice stuff from time to time. I wouldn't call it horrible.

Bad focus on balance: And... IE games were balanced... right? Need I remind you that certain classes could solo the game, while it was impossible for others? Not really ideal balance, is it? Or perhaps you mean getting wiped because you stumbled all of a sudden on an opponent that you couldn't beat? Hmm... reminds me on my playthrough of BG when I stumbled upon a flying skull that wiped my party in 4 seconds, or a similar experience with eye of a beholder. Or with my first encounter with a dragon. Each time I got wiped. But I learned, leveled up, came back and then fucked them royally. I mean, you wanted people to compare it to older games, so when I do that, I don't really see a problem.

Bad inventory design: PfffffffffffftttthahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHA! Really now?
:desu:
Ok.. ok... lets compare it to original IE inventory system. In IE games, when you wanted to check what your party has in their inventory, you had to open each character individually. In PoE, you see the inventory of a whole party in 1 screen, while retaining individual inventories for each party member. Yep... you are retarded. I mean,... if PoE improved 1 thing it improved the inventory design.

Bad companion design: worse than BG2 and PST, better then BG1 and IWD&IWD2. Better then Arcanum and Fallout 1 and 2. Need I say more?

The bad choice of putting fucking backer npcs where npcs should be with various connections to the game itself: I agree.

The big bad dragons: Why?

The bad quest design: Disagree. It is on the same level as BG trilogy.

The bad reputation design: Please explain.

The bad design of character housing: I think it could have been better, yeah.

The bad resting design: Because resting for 72 hours after each fight is superior and more realistic than to actually having camping supplies and being limited in the amount of rest you can take. You....:deadhorse:....bumbling....:deadhorse:....imbecile....:deadhorse:....

The bad choice and consequence design: Because having choices and consequences is worse than not having any, as it was the case in Baldurs Gate and IWD. Ok... BG had some c&c when it comes to companions and romances, but not even close to PoE. PST of course is superior to PoE in that regard. Still I don't think you make a valid point here.

The bad random loot generator: Isn't this the same as bad itemization that you already mentioned?

The bad pricing and economy design: Every game has a problem with that.

now even if you exchange the word bad before each example with the word average, the game is still a piece of average shit. and make no mistake, if i were to annalize each example it would turn into a detailed 10 pages report on the game, so i'll just assume you've played the game and know what the fuck i'm talking about or at least read some threads here.
Yes, I read through the complaints and majority of it is utter and total bullshit. If people were to put older games under the same scrutiny, it would turn many of the older classics into shit/average games as you put it.

the art style might be the only good thing about the game.
Oh, there is plenty of good stuff that you didn't mention. Its not just art and music, although I hear some people complain even about art and music.

ahh, the smartphone master race.
LoL! What is that supposed to mean? Jesus Christ dude. Don't project your idiocy on to me. I just like to take a shit in the toilet from time to time while reading stuff from my smartphone. It doesn't mean I am a smartphone/tablet gamer for fucks sake. And even if I was, how does that invalidate anything I said, or prevent me from liking PC games as well?

if you did any comparison to the really good old games and still come to the conclusion this is a 8/10 you're stupid as fuck.
Perhaps it is you that need to do the comparison, because more than half of the things you complain about exist in older classics or are even done worse there.

yeah, i usually don't enjoy conversation with people using words like lol, rofl, swag, yolo and whatever else the smartphone degeneration incorporates in their language.
Because using a smartphone while you take a shit is degenerate... Makes sense.

:bravo:

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Reapa you should stop wasting your energy on them, because you can't sway the retards to see what a piece of shit this game is.

This turd feels like a regurgitated version of PT/IW/BG put togther and there's nothing original in this game beside the horrible lore.It feels like Obsidian took the role of a modern Frankestein ,because in 2 freaking years all they did was to dig up used body parts,put them together and voila! ''It's alive '' a deformed monster has risen.
Next time stop copy pasting every infnity game and put some soul in your projects you lazy bastards.
If by soul you mean they didn't copy IE games enough and only made it half way, than I agree with you. If you hate IE games and are just here lowering the average IQ of Codex you can go away now.

potatojohn

Arcane
I thought about it and here's my judgement:

PoE is better than BG2 but not as good as Arcanum.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

Edgy.

Too bad you're wrong. And an imbecile.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I went with 8/10 based on something like 20+ hours of play. To me the 9-10 range should be reserved for genre-defining classics, which PoE isn't, but the game's definitely at least as good as I hoped it would be, probably better. I mean, for example I enjoyed WL2 but it really felt like a "Kickstarter game" all the way, lots of good things about it but not much polish, and the limited budget really showed everywhere in the game, but PoE is gorgeous and so well made that you stop thinking about it in Kickstarter terms and instead compare it directly to the classics that influenced it, and it doesn't fare too badly in comparison. It doesn't beat Torment or BG2, but it's definitely better than either of the Icewind Dale games (which was pretty much the target I initially set for it), and unless there's a notable drop in quality later on, it will beat BG1 as well.

I think my biggest problem with the game is the combat, which is even more chaotic than in the IE games (slow-mo helps a bit, though) and rarely that interesting. The encounter design is mostly pretty bad, usually a whole lot of equally easy/difficult encounters per area with the same 2-3 enemy types set a bit differently. The vast majority of spells are of the AoE variety, and everyone knows how much of a pain it can be to aim them properly in a RTwP system. On top of that the spells often have a very short range, so it's easy to accidentally send your mage to the front line when telling him to cast a spell, and because of the engagement system it may be very hard to get him out of there. Many negative effects (magical or otherwise) are just so mild that it's easy to ignore them completely, which means that you rarely have to make specific preparations against different enemies. There have been some fun encounters so far, and I don't exactly hate the combat, but it'd need either better mechanics or better encounter design to remain consistently interesting considering how much killing you do in the game.

I often disagree with Sawyer's philosophy when it comes to designing game mechanics, but PoE is kind of hit and miss. I don't really like the attribute system which makes the characters feel a bit samey, or some of the artificial or completely nonsensical mechanics like the stash or limitng certain spells to combat for no real reason (not that I reallly miss pre-buffing before every battle), but there are some areas where the mechanics do actually add something nice to the gameplay. I like the Health/Endurance system and the limited camping equipment, which effectively remove rest-spamming (for me, at least) and make you think about using your spells more carefully. The stealth system has its downsides (no pickpocketing, all-party stealth only, no combat use), but I think I've already used stealth more than I ever did in any IE game, occasionally even to solve quests non-violently. Overall, I can't say the mechanics would've disrupted my enjoyment of the game in any meaningful way, even if many individual things are outright stupid and should be criticized, like the stash which makes it ridiculously easy to amass huge amounts of wealth after just a couple of hours.

The quests are mostly fairly straightforward and generally about killing stuff, with the occasional choice at the end after everything has been done already, but their overall quality has been high so far, with some interesting stories and locations and occasionally also non-violent ways of solving them, such as stealth, disguises and of course dialogue. So far I haven't encountered a single quest that I'd consider filler, and pretty much all have had at least some kind of a choice to make. It's also nice to see that some quests were clearly designed to allow stealthy solutions, with enemies moving around a bit rather than just standing in one spot for an eternity. All in all, in this department the game falls somewhere between the IE games and Obsidian's best efforts (New Vegas), which is certainly good enough.

The writing is decent, although it suffers from unnecessary lore dumps and occasionally drifts into "poor-man's PS:T" territory with overly elaborate descriptions, and I'm kind of starting to get interested in the lore as well, even though at first it seemed like the most generic thing ever. Nothing spectacular for the most part, but it gets the job done, and the dialogue has a decent number of skill, attribute and background checks as well. I also really appreciate how (relatively) low-key the story has been so far, being mostly personal but still tying into events that are happening in the game world.

What else... The UI is great, the amount of options when it comes to difficulty level and other stuff is very pleasing, the voice-acting is alright in the same way that the voice-acting in the IE games is, the music is nice if forgettable, and like I said earlier, the game looks amazing. I've heard that the stronghold sucks, and so far I haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise, but I think it was definitely a smart move to combine it with the Endless Paths. If there's something I'd like to see changed (aside from the aforementioned mechanics), I did hope that Obsidian would've taken a bit of a departure from the Baldur's Gate mold, perhaps putting more focus on reactivity and dialogue, but then again, there's only so much you can do when you've promised people a game that resembles some other game. In that sense PoE is definitely a success.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom