Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HOW

boot

Prophet
how do you actually make a video game using something like FIFE?

where do you start?

if I wanted to make a JA2 clone how could I go about doing it?

boot

Prophet
game development.

how do you use something like FIFE to build something as complex as JA2?

http://www.gamedev.net/page/index.html

Ugh. Technically you start by writing design documents (what exactly you want in the end, game systems, who will play your game, etc), then proceed to choosing game engine, modifying it, writing tools for easy editing maps/dialogues/items/enemies, fill it with content...
Maybe it's better start with JA2 modding.

Mustawd

Ugh. Technically you start by writing design documents (what exactly you want in the end, game systems, who will play your game, etc), then proceed to choosing game engine, modifying it, writing tools for easy editing maps/dialogues/items/enemies, fill it with content...

Yes, but HOW!?!

boot

Prophet
I look around and I see all 3 of the users that frequent this forum giving no helpful advice at all. Better to not even try to do anything they think. Low energy individuals that have grown used to failure. Very sad.

If I ever produce anything I will record my methods and post them here.

vean

Scholar
I look around and I see all 3 of the users that frequent this forum giving no helpful advice at all. Better to not even try to do anything they think. Low energy individuals that have grown used to failure. Very sad.

If I ever produce anything I will record my methods and post them here.
What do you know what game development (specifically programming)?

What have you tried doing to this point?

What results have your efforts yielded so far?

What exactly is your goal?

If you don't tell us this we can't help you.

In general: The first step to working with any software is to download it, set up a development environment, get it to build, and verifying that it's working as expected. After that you can start making tiny changes and seeing what happens. As you become more and more comfortable with the code, you can make bigger changes.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
how do you actually make a video game using something like FIFE?

where do you start?

if I wanted to make a JA2 clone how could I go about doing it?
Why not start by doing a Kickstarter campaign? Everyone and their grandmother is doing it.
Be sure to ramble in great length about what made JA2 so great and how you want to recreate that experience as faithfully as you can.

If that fails then there's always Patreon.
Some doofus will throw money at you, guaranteed, you just have to be persistent.
Good luck! :salute:

Declinator

Arbiter
Were you expecting pages of in-depth tutorials about using FIFE? The one who seems low energy is you. Look for the tutorials and go through them like everyone else.

If you have already done this then explain what questions you specifically have. "How do I make a JA2 clone" is a question so wide in scale that maybe we need to start a secondary thread of "how to explain everything to someone?"

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Gaise make a game for me, I want an MMORPG Isometric Strategy Racing FPS inspired by Fallout, JA2 and Call of Duty with graphics on par with Crysis and running on RPGMaker Engine.
The goal is to make The Ultimate RPG and make all NPCs and items romanceable.
Including the shopkeepers.
Including the dogs.
Including the swords.

Release date: Thursday 2016. I'll give you 2 bux to finish da game.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
boot You should try to find an engine, etc. with good tutorials to teach you where to start. Also, GameDev site is good if you have specific questions. Lastly, if you have little to no knowledge of programming, you may have to take the time to learn or make some minor compromises. e.g. I wanted to make a wizardry-like but couldn't do it without an engine because of my lack of knowledge in programming but couldn't find a engine to make a good wizardry-like, so switched focus to a good engine for Gold Box likes. As well, your question is too general to be answered adequately and to anyone's satisfaction. I know b/c I've done the same a plethora of times, more than I can count.

Wayward Son

An added to my post:
I like to start with the general premise of the story first. This helps me decide what mechanics would best suit what I want to do. As well, do you want turn-based, RTwP, RT or some combination of the first and third? That's the type of question you should ask yourself when trying to do this. That should help direct you and should be the way you start this process. As far as FIFE, you could start by learning how to program in Python as that's the language and compiler it uses AFAIR from my previous (failed) attempts at using it.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I like how people who are actually making games don't give a fuck about this thread while people who never worked on shit try to act cool and give 'useful' advice.

Severian Silk

You have to have been working on a game for 17 years and release only a demo in order to be taken seriously on the Codex.

I look forward to hearing from you in 2033.

Wayward Son

I like how people who are actually making games don't give a fuck about this thread while people who never worked on shit try to act cool and give 'useful' advice.
I understand I am the second one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom