Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HOW

Mustawd

It's the same shit with art. People are on forums asking about which tablet they should use...should they get a cintiq? Should they get a surface pro? ipad pro? Photoshop or Painter for software?

Should I go to art school? But there's this cool online academy with lessons and shit.

They spend all this time worrying about the minutae when there are literally thousands of free tutorials online and pencil/pen and paper are cheap as hell. It's ridiculous.

Severian Silk

I like how people who are actually making games don't give a fuck about this thread while people who never worked on shit try to act cool and give 'useful' advice.
I have experience making mods and also RPG Maker. I give a fuck.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I like how people who are actually making games don't give a fuck about this thread while people who never worked on shit try to act cool and give 'useful' advice.
I have experience with RPG Maker and Dungeon Craft, along with Pygame 1.9 (equivalent to Python 2.3).

Mustawd

boot , against my better judgement I'm going to give you some real advice.

There is one thing I know of from experience and also that I've heard repeated over and over and over again from professionals in game development or art:

When you are starting out, it's best to start on something small to get some experience.

That's it. So instead of trying to tackle how to make a game from scratch using an engine you're unfamiliar with, try doing a mod of an existing game. Then try expanding on that mod. Then try making your own small game with an easy to use engine like RPGMaker. Then, maybe pick up FIFE. Then make a small combat demo. All the while, you should be getting feedback from gamers and integrating or considering said feedback. THEN you can start making a game.

OR

You can pick up FIFE, fuck around for a week or so. Make some piece of crap, and then leave it, never to pick it up again.

Good luck.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I understand I am the second one.

I have experience with RPG Maker and Dungeon Craft, along with Pygame 1.9 (equivalent to Python 2.3).

:shittydog:
I take that back, you guys are veteran devs.
Codexian game development conference when? I need to learn from real masters to surpass my previous masterpieces, like...
Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Wayward Son

I understand I am the second one.

:shittydog:
I take that back, you guys are veteran devs.
Codexian game development conference when? I need to learn from real masters to surpass my previous masterpieces, like...
Oblivion and Fallout 3.
Dungeon Craft, while fairly beginner-oriented, has some complexities that require coding knowledge to make certain things integral to the type of game it tries to make/emulate aka the Gold Box games aka the opposite of decline. And further, I recognize I am not a veteran game dev, quite the opposite in fact. I am a beginner in every sense of the word when it comes to game development. RPGMaker, on the other hand, yeah... not my proudest moment.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
If you want some real advice, just do it and learn everything along the way.

For now I'm sticking to Unity and honestly, I'm glad that scripting (or coding, whatever you wanna call it) doesn't feel like a thorn in my ass, since I have to focus on other things too.

Obligatory:
2015 newfags cannot into Codex and get offended by everything.

Wayward Son

For now I'm sticking to Unity and honestly, I'm glad that scripting (or coding, whatever you wanna call it) doesn't feel like a thorn in my ass, since I have to focus on other things too.

Obligatory:
TBH, I wasn't really offended. I was more along the lines of explaining my position....
Shit, wait a sec, that was sarcasm, wasn't it.

Mustawd

Obligatory:
TBH, I wasn't really offended. I was more along the lines of explaining my position....

Have you posted in the workshop forum?

Wayward Son

Obligatory:

Have you posted in the workshop forum?
Yeah, once or twice in the Codexian Game Development Thread and IIRC in one other thread.

Meh. As i said before if you want ja2 clone ja2 sources is the best bet. At least you don't need spend shitton time on assets and coding and can see result fairly fast (compared to making everything from zero).
If you don't know programming - ugh. Maybe UE or Unity. They have tutorials and some type demo game.
Another variant learn coding and start from roguelikes: www.roguebasin.com

DakaSha II

Prospernaut
If you don't know programming - ugh. Maybe UE or Unity
If you cant code then UE and unity arent going to do shit for you. Nothing is for that matter. Not only because click based game makers are not going to allow you to create anythign as complex as Ja2 in any decent amount of time, but because a rudimentary understanding of programming is required to even DESIGN a game.

If you don't know programming - ugh. Maybe UE or Unity
If you cant code then UE and unity arent going to do shit for you. Nothing is for that matter. Not only because click based game makers are not going to allow you to create anythign as complex as Ja2 in any decent amount of time, but because a rudimentary understanding of programming is required to even DESIGN a game.

All this steam unity shit is thanks to easy entrance level with such engines. Looking how buggy those games i guess their "developers" can't code at all and just copy-pasted samples from internet. Well i guess they still had some understanding wtf they are doing since even copy-pasting require it. I doubt Ja2 clone possible without team to begin with but UE/Unity can help a lot without need learning programming for years.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Let's start at the beginning and try to answer your question...

Do you understand programming? If not, I suggest looking looking into a language like C# (since it is used in engines like Unity, but you can choose another language if that's your preference), learn everything you can about how object-oriented programming works, watch a ton of videos where programmers show how they get things done, and then try some coding yourself. Don't expect to learn everything in a day. I will tell you that you will learn the most when you actually start doing things.

Do you understand the ins and outs of the kind of game you want to make? Can you break it down into various pieces and study them? Putting a game together is done in pieces, and you have to understand how each of those pieces work and how they interact with the other pieces of the game.

I'd start with these two things.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
boot

Most of what I see here is way too hard or complex and will result in burn out early on, here are my suggestions:

Firstly, learn python, the basic concepts of coding apply to every language (data types, if/while/for etc.) and will allow you to pick up a more complex language like C# and C++ in a much shorter time and with the benefit of understanding the basic concepts thereby allowing you to focus more on learning more advanced concepts like memory management. (Do not spend too long on this, at most, I'd only learn the basics before moving on, it's boring and the next step will teach you the depths of the language.)

Secondly, get pygame, and focus on cloning old classic games, starting with pong. Set yourself a deadline too, say you will have a complete version of Pong in 3 days. You won't make it the first time, and you may not the second time, but failure is important. Failure will teach you the management and organization skills required in making a game, as well as start getting you thinking in that game design/engineering mindset and structure.

While you do this study Programming from the Ground Up by Johnathan Bartlett, it will teach you many core concepts essential to programming in any language for any purpose, use the cloning games as a way to learn and understand the syntax and the book to get a solid grasp on the advanced details like how your processor handles memory.

Once you've cloned a few classic games, move onto C++ & Graphics Programming and aim to build your own rough and simple game engine. Even if you're planning to use UE4 or Unity it is an immense help going into pre-made engines/frameworks with an understanding of how they're made and structured.

Good luck, this process will take time and you may even hate what you're doing, but just remember, you're not learning how to make games just so you can code. You're learning so you can provide fun & entertainment to the world, that's all that matters in the end.

Wayward Son

boot

Most of what I see here is way too hard or complex and will result in burn out early on, here are my suggestions:

Firstly, learn python, the basic concepts of coding apply to every language (data types, if/while/for etc.) and will allow you to pick up a more complex language like C# and C++ in a much shorter time and with the benefit of understanding the basic concepts thereby allowing you to focus more on learning more advanced concepts like memory management. (Do not spend too long on this, at most, I'd only learn the basics before moving on, it's boring and the next step will teach you the depths of the language.)

Secondly, get pygame, and focus on cloning old classic games, starting with pong. Set yourself a deadline too, say you will have a complete version of Pong in 3 days. You won't make it the first time, and you may not the second time, but failure is important. Failure will teach you the management and organization skills required in making a game, as well as start getting you thinking in that game design/engineering mindset and structure.

While you do this study Programming from the Ground Up by Johnathan Bartlett, it will teach you many core concepts essential to programming in any language for any purpose, use the cloning games as a way to learn and understand the syntax and the book to get a solid grasp on the advanced details like how your processor handles memory.

Once you've cloned a few classic games, move onto C++ & Graphics Programming and aim to build your own rough and simple game engine. Even if you're planning to use UE4 or Unity it is an immense help going into pre-made engines/frameworks with an understanding of how they're made and structured.

Good luck, this process will take time and you may even hate what you're doing, but just remember, you're not learning how to make games just so you can code. You're learning so you can provide fun & entertainment to the world, that's all that matters in the end.

Great advice! I know it wasn't meant for me, but I may use this advice.

Unwanted

Bustamonte

Unwanted
Shitposter
Don't listen to faggots talking about python scripts and crap. You will never make a game that isn't complete shit that way, even if you have an engine lined up that does everything you want (good luck). Let alone a complicated game like JA 2.

First spend 5-10 years becoming a master programmer. Then spend 3-4 years becoming an artist. Then spend a few years with various tools until you realize they are all worthless to you and doing it yourself from scratch will take another 5-10 years. Then don't do it, and spend your life wishing you had those wasted years back.

boot

Prophet
Working on game using SRPG studio. Just had scripts I altered wiped out somehow so I'll keep everything in writing and backups on flashdrive from now on.

nevermind, it's dead

Last edited:

d1nolore

Savant
Its been 3 years, atleast tell us about your journey.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom