Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

I appreciate graphics in RPGs

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Tavernking, Nov 11, 2019.

?

1. I have a problem with this

11 vote(s)
    13.4%
  2. I don't have a problem with this

42 vote(s)
    51.2%
  3. Poll choice... (kingcomrade)

29 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Brofist x 4
    • Prestigious x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Stefmob Novice

Stefmob
    I also appreciate graphics. But i never enjoyed a game because of it's graphics. in rpg the essence is telling your own story by role playing in a pre designed story. Graphics have the ability to create and add extra elements in that pre designed story. But good rpgs also tell a story in your mind, and graphics aren't needed for that. So if done well it's can be important for its setting of the story thats developing. But it's not necessarily be for a good crpg

^ Top  
  3. Grauken friEndly mUrderpUmpkin Patron

Grauken
    I also appreciate graphics, I hate playing with my eyes closed. I also like using a keyboard. Should I open a thread about it?

• Yes Yes x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Chaosdwarft Educated Patron

Chaosdwarft
    Ofc I appreciate nice graphics, if they serve the game well. But if the graphics budget goes above 15% of the overall project, then you are sacrificing other aspects of the game. It's like RDR2 that includes realistic horse testicles reaction to temperature, sure it's a neat "bell" but does it actually serve any purpose? It's like unnecessary animations, do I really need to put one when you loot people?

Now graphics help give a certain tone to your game, so I would say an overall cohesive artistic direction is more important.

EDIT: here is the video explaining the horse testicle shenanigan https://youtu.be/jMmjM36NJqQ

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Bohrain Savant Patron

Bohrain
    I appreciate graphical style more than fidelity in games. From a technical standpoint something like Killer7 isn't really impressive even at release, but the hard shadows look damn pretty.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. whydoibother Learned

whydoibother
    Everyone likes a good visual and audio presentation in their video games. The issue is with the opportunity cost. In the same way that voice acting means each line costs more money, and thus there are less overall lines, you can easily deduce that visually impressive and detailed environments and outfits leads to smaller zones and less equipable item variety. Ultimately the game has some set budget, and it reaches it by, roughly said, multiplying quality by quantity. More quality demands less quantity, to fit in the budget.
    So I don't hate graphics or VA in games, I doubt anyone does. But I do hate when they are implemented by developers that need to compromise the rest of the game to be able to afford them. If you can't have a big and beautiful zone, I'd rather you have a big and not-so-beautiful zone, rather than a small and beautiful zone. You know? You know.
    Show Spoiler
    The argument is honestly easier to make with VA, since thats more often the case, and we have more experience; but the graphics case is analogical and has the same conclusion.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Nifft Batuff Learned

Nifft Batuff
    If graphics = number of pixels, number of polygons, frames per second, etc. ... I don't care a bit.

^ Top  
  8. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    So that's why most games in the genre are terrible, huh?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    The Famicom ports of Wizardry have insanely beautiful graphics. Probably the best-looking dungeon crawlers ever made.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Unorus Janco Lurker

Unorus Janco
    Most so called graphics whores are only moderntards who believe every marketing trend is automatically superior so they can only play modern games even when they're butt-ugly (or, more understandably, people who can't get used to ancient UIs and control schemes).

Now, these are the kind of graphics I personally enjoy:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While these are the games that I find irremediably ugly:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not that I wouldn't play an ugly game, gameplay will always remain king, but ugly games are certainly easier to avoid.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    • Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Maxie Der Einzige Patron

Maxie
    The problem with graphics is that you need to have been there playing the absurdly ugly early 3d game X otherwise you're gonna retch

2d ages gracefully in comparison

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Sigourn Arcane

Sigourn
    I can't help but laugh at these examples since they are my idea of horrible looking PC games. For instance, the puke tones of the C64 and its terrible portraits (everything else looks gorgeous, though).
    And of the screenshots Unorus Janco posted, I only agree with Ultima Underworld and Wizardry Gaiden IV. Even then I'm sure UU looks terrible in some places, whereas Wizardry Gaiden probably looks consistently great. Everything that aweigh posted looks fantastic.

The problem with older PC games is not that they have "too much color", it's that color is everywhere in those games, in the weirdest of places, and more often than not saturated to hell and back.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Nifft Batuff Learned

Nifft Batuff
    In the case of PC EGA graphics, the problem is that you can't choose your colors at all, and the fixed palette is ugly as fuck (obviously no artsy consideration have been done during the engineering of these graphics cards). I think that, considering this limitation, Loom should be studied in art classes-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Daemongar Arcane Patron

Daemongar
    There are early ugly 3D games... and there are fantastic early 3D games. Lands of Lore is a beautiful 3D game while its sequel Lands of Lore 2 is an extremely ugly 3D game. Ultima Underworld was very good, while a lot of games inspired by UU were pretty crappy.

It comes down to core mechanics and it's hard to name a good RPG game with great core mechanics that are overshadowed by bad graphics.

Ok, I can name *one* - Betrayal at Krondor. Played it for about 3 hours this last weekend and was messing around with DosBox scaler settings but just couldn't get the outside to look acceptable. Just two big blobs of land and sky. I really like almost every facet of the game except the outdoor travel. If there was ever a game that essentially deserved an update, well , that's the one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Sigourn Arcane

Sigourn
    Exactly. Which is why I find none of those screenshots appealing. The framework is nice, but the colors themselves ruin those for me.

^ Top  
  16. Verylittlefishes Scholar Patron

Verylittlefishes
    I like the Age of Decadence graphics.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Alphard Educated

Alphard
    A game with horrible graphics and excellent gameplay is good but unplayable
    A game with horrible gameplay and beautiful graphic is shit but playable ( for few hours before uninstalling)

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Life Coach berd Patron

Life Coach
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I wish it was 2d though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Verylittlefishes Scholar Patron

Verylittlefishes
    You don't get it, the only thing to do in Ganezzar is zoooooooooom

^ Top  
  20. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    aweigh's Wizardry (I/II/III/IV) screenshots are Super Famicom (SNES) and Playstation; the Famicom/NES version of the original Wizardry had a mundane appearance:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you're referring to EGA PC graphics, it allowed 16 colors (in low resolution mode) from a total palette of just 64 colors, which meant the resulting images were often garish due to poor color selection. However, the screenshots from Loom posted by Nifft Batuff above show that it was capable of beautiful art, provided the artist made discerning choices in color selection.

Of course, EGA was no match for the power of the Commodore Amiga:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • nice nice x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Sigourn Arcane

Sigourn
    Yup! To me the Amiga is the pinnacle of retro PC graphics, and IMO what "beautiful" truly means. It's not that I'm a graphics whore, but the EGA graphics have such garish colors compared to something like the Famicom that I simply hate looking at them.

^ Top  
  22. Crispy Who's really in charge here? Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    One more for the road:

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    What mods are you using? It looks gorgeous.

^ Top  
  24. Crispy Who's really in charge here? Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    Just Temple+, that's it.

• incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)