Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I appreciate graphics in RPGs

• I have a problem with this

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • I don't have a problem with this

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Poll choice... (kingcomrade)

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
wizardry3-snes-23.png
wizardry1-snes-10.png
ob_6fa291_capture-d-e-cran-2017-09-02-a-15.png

wizardry4-psx-03.png
maxresdefault.jpg

wizardry4-psx-04.png

Stefmob

Novice
I also appreciate graphics. But i never enjoyed a game because of it's graphics. in rpg the essence is telling your own story by role playing in a pre designed story. Graphics have the ability to create and add extra elements in that pre designed story. But good rpgs also tell a story in your mind, and graphics aren't needed for that. So if done well it's can be important for its setting of the story thats developing. But it's not necessarily be for a good crpg

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I also appreciate graphics, I hate playing with my eyes closed. I also like using a keyboard. Should I open a thread about it?

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
Ofc I appreciate nice graphics, if they serve the game well. But if the graphics budget goes above 15% of the overall project, then you are sacrificing other aspects of the game. It's like RDR2 that includes realistic horse testicles reaction to temperature, sure it's a neat "bell" but does it actually serve any purpose? It's like unnecessary animations, do I really need to put one when you loot people?

Now graphics help give a certain tone to your game, so I would say an overall cohesive artistic direction is more important.

EDIT: here is the video explaining the horse testicle shenanigan https://youtu.be/jMmjM36NJqQ

Last edited:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I appreciate graphical style more than fidelity in games. From a technical standpoint something like Killer7 isn't really impressive even at release, but the hard shadows look damn pretty.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Everyone likes a good visual and audio presentation in their video games. The issue is with the opportunity cost. In the same way that voice acting means each line costs more money, and thus there are less overall lines, you can easily deduce that visually impressive and detailed environments and outfits leads to smaller zones and less equipable item variety. Ultimately the game has some set budget, and it reaches it by, roughly said, multiplying quality by quantity. More quality demands less quantity, to fit in the budget.
So I don't hate graphics or VA in games, I doubt anyone does. But I do hate when they are implemented by developers that need to compromise the rest of the game to be able to afford them. If you can't have a big and beautiful zone, I'd rather you have a big and not-so-beautiful zone, rather than a small and beautiful zone. You know? You know.
The argument is honestly easier to make with VA, since thats more often the case, and we have more experience; but the graphics case is analogical and has the same conclusion.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
If graphics = number of pixels, number of polygons, frames per second, etc. ... I don't care a bit.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Most so called graphics whores are only moderntards who believe every marketing trend is automatically superior so they can only play modern games even when they're butt-ugly (or, more understandably, people who can't get used to ancient UIs and control schemes).

Now, these are the kind of graphics I personally enjoy:
Might%20and%20Magic%20II%20-%20Gates%20to%20Another%20World_5.png

qx6y0zezhgx31.gif

ultima-underworld_2785309.jpg

d4c1e508-ec1a-49a9-a33f-f57a82301d3f.png
While these are the games that I find irremediably ugly:
MM6TurnBased2.jpg

Desert03.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

latest

Not that I wouldn't play an ugly game, gameplay will always remain king, but ugly games are certainly easier to avoid.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

I can't help but laugh at these examples since they are my idea of horrible looking PC games. For instance, the puke tones of the C64 and its terrible portraits (everything else looks gorgeous, though).
And of the screenshots Unorus Janco posted, I only agree with Ultima Underworld and Wizardry Gaiden IV. Even then I'm sure UU looks terrible in some places, whereas Wizardry Gaiden probably looks consistently great. Everything that aweigh posted looks fantastic.

The problem with older PC games is not that they have "too much color", it's that color is everywhere in those games, in the weirdest of places, and more often than not saturated to hell and back.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
The problem with older PC games is not that they have "too much color", it's that color is everywhere in those games, in the weirdest of places, and more often than not saturated to hell and back.
In the case of PC EGA graphics, the problem is that you can't choose your colors at all, and the fixed palette is ugly as fuck (obviously no artsy consideration have been done during the engineering of these graphics cards). I think that, considering this limitation, Loom should be studied in art classes-

Cl_8YCAWEAAsoWm.jpg

eM4Ef5d.png

g1Rqk0l.png

Gfm4Esm.png

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
The problem with graphics is that you need to have been there playing the absurdly ugly early 3d game X otherwise you're gonna retch

2d ages gracefully in comparison
There are early ugly 3D games... and there are fantastic early 3D games. Lands of Lore is a beautiful 3D game while its sequel Lands of Lore 2 is an extremely ugly 3D game. Ultima Underworld was very good, while a lot of games inspired by UU were pretty crappy.

It comes down to core mechanics and it's hard to name a good RPG game with great core mechanics that are overshadowed by bad graphics.

Ok, I can name *one* - Betrayal at Krondor. Played it for about 3 hours this last weekend and was messing around with DosBox scaler settings but just couldn't get the outside to look acceptable. Just two big blobs of land and sky. I really like almost every facet of the game except the outdoor travel. If there was ever a game that essentially deserved an update, well , that's the one.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
In the case of PC EGA graphics, the problem is that you can't choose your colors at all, and the fixed palette is ugly as fuck (obviously no artsy consideration have been done during the engineering of these graphics cards).

Exactly. Which is why I find none of those screenshots appealing. The framework is nice, but the colors themselves ruin those for me.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
A game with horrible graphics and excellent gameplay is good but unplayable
A game with horrible gameplay and beautiful graphic is shit but playable ( for few hours before uninstalling)

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The Famicom ports of Wizardry have insanely beautiful graphics. Probably the best-looking dungeon crawlers ever made.
aweigh's Wizardry (I/II/III/IV) screenshots are Super Famicom (SNES) and Playstation; the Famicom/NES version of the original Wizardry had a mundane appearance:
43260-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-nes-screenshot.gif
43261-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-nes-screenshot.gif

If you're referring to EGA PC graphics, it allowed 16 colors (in low resolution mode) from a total palette of just 64 colors, which meant the resulting images were often garish due to poor color selection. However, the screenshots from Loom posted by Nifft Batuff above show that it was capable of beautiful art, provided the artist made discerning choices in color selection.

Of course, EGA was no match for the power of the Commodore Amiga:

DefenderOfTheCrown_BritainMap.tft1.gif
ShadowOfTheBeast_Loader.tft1.png

Unreal_End.tft1.png
Infestation.tft1.png

UnpublishedTitle.tft1.png
Agony_Ending.tft1.png

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
If you're referring to EGA PC graphics, it allowed 16 colors (in low resolution mode) from a total palette of just 64 colors, which meant the resulting images were often garish due to poor color selection. However, the screenshots from Loom posted by Nifft Batuff above show that it was capable of beautiful art, provided the artist made discerning choices in color selection.

Of course, EGA was no match for the power of the Commodore Amiga:

DefenderOfTheCrown_BritainMap.tft1.gif
ShadowOfTheBeast_Loader.tft1.png

Unreal_End.tft1.png
Infestation.tft1.png

UnpublishedTitle.tft1.png
Agony_Ending.tft1.png

Yup! To me the Amiga is the pinnacle of retro PC graphics, and IMO what "beautiful" truly means. It's not that I'm a graphics whore, but the EGA graphics have such garish colors compared to something like the Famicom that I simply hate looking at them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom