Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline I bought a console, which games to buy

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Looks like I'm next on the ban list.

The Decline

Arcane
If you want to go full anime there are several exclusive mecha games available. English Asia releases.

Turn Based Strategy:
Super Robot Wars: Moon Dwellers *big bouncing anime titties all over the place*
Super Robot Wars V
SD Gundam

Action:
Gundam Breaker 3

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Bloodborne
Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
The Last Guardian

If you don't already own Dragon's Dogma on PS3 or PC, you could buy the recently-released PS4 version, but you'd probably be better off with the PC version. Similarly, if you don't already own Dragon's Crown on PS3 (or Vita?), a PS4 version is due in a few months.

Atomkilla

Arcane
Shadow of Colossus is going to be remastered for PS4, so eyes open for that one. Okami too, but that one will also be on PC.

Walden

Savant
The fucking :decline: never stops.

It is now clear that it has reached the Codex. We must take immeadiate action by banning all storyfags and anyone that would consider buying a console from this generation.

:salute:

I never expected so many long-time gamers to be so clueless regarding gameplay. Too many storyfags don't pay a lot of attention to the interactive experience. Others didn't play many vidja back in the golden age, sadly, where generally-speaking gameplay was king (as it should be in 99% of cases).

I would say the classic "go read a book/watch a movie", but I guess what storycunts value in games is interactive, dynamic storytelling. So they do deserve some mutual respect even if they're decline-enabling.
Given that the only ps4 games I enjoyed were Gravity Rush and Bloodborne(haven't played yet Persona 5 and Yakuzas tho), I don't understand why should appreciating a light novel or a little storytelling would be that bad. Moreover, people always whining about storyfaggotry and prompt other to read books/watch films, usually read shitty books and watch retarded netflix series, in their not videogaming time. When I play a vg I don't expect the writing of de la Barca or Joyce, neither some Fellini shots, I'm fine with decent/good novels that fit the mood of a game. Otherwise I would not have enjoyed some games like Parentescape Testament, Betrayal at Krondor(at least in this case cs is good), Grim Fandango, Silent Hill 2 etc..
TLoU, Horizon, Bioshock are dull games with shitty stories, that's something not related to appreciating a good light story.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
In response to some of the reactions above:

Of course PC will remain the preferred platform for my favorite genres: RPGs, RTS, TBS, grand strategy etc.

But for simple action games (including games like dark Souls, Dishonored etc.) I actually prefer to sit on the couch with a controller and game on my 55 inch 4k tv. I have hooked my gaming laptop to my tv in the past but I'm too laze to do it each time.

Plus now I can play some exclusives and the money is not really an issue for me right now so I don't mind paying for the console.

To make things worse; I will also buy a Nintendo Switch to play the new Zelda and Mario Kart. And maybe a new Pokemon when it comes to Switch.

edit: also a lot of my friends have a PS4 so now I can play with them in some of their stupid games.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Yakuza games (start with 0) --> the story and characters are great, has really good writing, and also probably the best brawler combat system out there.
Bloodborne --> haven't actually finished it but basically a more actiony take on Souls. Thematically surprising and intriguing.
Persona 5 --> Great turn-based combat and encounter design, everything else is pretty animu but it's tolerable
Let it Die --> sort of Souls-like roguelite. Very janky, but has cool aesthetics. Also F2P.

I wish some of these games would get a PC release, since getting a fucking console and tolerating the shitty 30 FPS in games is a fucking travesty.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Of course PC will remain the preferred platform ... But for simple action games ... I actually prefer to sit on the couch with a controller and game on my 55 inch 4k tv. I have hooked my gaming laptop to my tv in the past but I'm too laze to do it each time.

And you can continue to be lazy and sit on your couch to enjoy the best way to game without becoming a peasent.

HDMI Wireless Transmitter

Steam Link

PC gaming has all the options. And unlike consoles, those options evolve every month on PC.

To make things worse; I will also buy a Nintendo Switch to play the new Zelda and Mario Kart. And maybe a new Pokemon when it comes to Switch.

You can play right now the new Zelda on PC better than you ever will on the Switch. It can barely run the game at a constant 30fps, and on the PC you can run at 60. And no, you don't need a beefy rig to run it (specially with the new updates).

If you are going to say: "B-b-but Switch is portable. With a PC I can't play BotW while I take a shit..."

And let me remind you this is running on a very old CemU version (one of the first that supported BotW) and the performance is almost as good as in the WiiU.

The best Pokemon game is Soul Silver and Heart Gold. After those their quality just went downhill. The new ones in particular, with the Mega Evolution and other bullshit changes to the systems, are just fucking terrible.

You made a bad decision. The only worthwhile games for consoles that computers don't have are Bloodborne and Mario Odissey. And paying nearly 1000 to have 2 consoles to play only 2 games is just a waste of money, pure and simple. For that amount you can build a desktop even better than the next console generation + a fuckton of games (gaming on PC is also much cheaper).

But anyway, stop being a troll and just get Bloodborne.

Last edited:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The biggest reason to play a game like Dark Souls on a PC over a console is that it simply looks better. I played DS3 on PS4 for about a year, before finally upgrading my PC and buying it off Steam. The difference is night and day, especially in the frame rate, which makes the game look and play so much nicer.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Horizon Zero Dawn is a decent post-apoc open-world action adventure game with very, very lite RPG elements. Gameplay is simply fun.
It's lead writer is John Gonzales, who wrote some of the best segments of Fallout New Vegas (had a big role in designing NCR-Legion conflict and personally wrote Survivor logs from HH), so the world and history of the pre-apocalypse are well designed, with some unique aspects.

Some of the vaginaphobes on dex probably hate it because you play as a womyn and there are *gasp* black people in it, but it's overall a good game that will last for 50-60 hours if you are a completionist. 25-30 if you're not.

Makes Andromeda look like a masterpiece.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Hello, I finally cracked and bought a playstation 4 Pro. Mostly because I know I will want to play Red Dead Redemption 2, ghost of tshushima and want to finally try GTA 5.

So I was wondering what else I should buy? I was thinking perhaps:

Overwatch - for some casual fun
Uncharted 4 - because it's apparently the blockbuster on PS4?

Any other titles I should get? I have not played deus ex - mankind divided, dishonored 2 and xcom 2 yet. so maybe I will play one of those on the console.

Game that you should buy or try:

- Bloodborne
- Dark souls 2 SOTFS
- Dark souls 3
- Wipeout omega collection
- Nioh
- Until dawn
- Uncharted 4/ Lost legacy (The best of the franchise)
- Valkyria chronicles remastered
- Yakuza kiwami
- Yakuza 0
- Gravity rush 1 and 2 (Games from Keiichiro toyama, creator of Silent hill. Enough said)

And then there's a lot of multiplataform games and classics remastered worth a buy but you said you have a PC so... those are the best exclusives in my opinion. Horizon zero dawn is fine, but I found it disappointing after playing Breath of the wild. It presents a incredible world in terms of visuals and world building, but it doesn't offer a half of the mechanics that offers the new Zelda int terms of gameplay. A shame.

And DO NOT BUY OVERWATCH for consoles. If you want to enjoy it properly go for the PC version. The console version even has some characters with different stats from the PC, like Tracer doing more damage because "Is harder to play fps with controllers" according to Blizzard.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And then there's a lot of multiplataform games and classics remastered worth a buy but you said you have a PC so... those are the best exclusives in my opinion.
Nioh, Valkyria Chronicles (Remastered is just the PC additions) and Dark Souls 2 & 3 are not exclusives.

Atomkilla

Arcane
Horizon Zero Dawn is a decent post-apoc open-world action adventure game with very, very lite RPG elements. Gameplay is simply fun.
It's lead writer is John Gonzales, who wrote some of the best segments of Fallout New Vegas (had a big role in designing NCR-Legion conflict and personally wrote Survivor logs from HH), so the world and history of the pre-apocalypse are well designed, with some unique aspects.

Some of the vaginaphobes on dex probably hate it because you play as a womyn and there are *gasp* black people in it, but it's overall a good game that will last for 50-60 hours if you are a completionist. 25-30 if you're not.

Makes Andromeda look like a masterpiece.

That is an exaggeration.
HZD does have a problem with facial animation, one that can be very annoying at times. It has great character and facial models, and wonderful combat and movement animations, but when it comes to dialogues, it hits a low point. That being said, the scene you posted here is probably the worst piece of dialogue and facial animation in the entire game - mind you, character lines in general are hardly brilliant, but are rarely this bad. It is an example of bad animation, sure, but not a representative of the entire game.

HZD really missed the mark in facial animation segment, which I assume is an engine limitation, similar to the one that happened in Andromeda. Lip sync tends to glitch out and facial expressions tend to go all wrong.
Which is a shame, because character models are really good looking. However, not only is your statement a hyperbole, it is in my opinion completely false - HZD is a far superior game to Andromeda in every possible way.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The real Frusciante would never be a console tard. Press X to facepalm yourself.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
In response to some of the reactions above:

Of course PC will remain the preferred platform for my favorite genres: RPGs, RTS, TBS, grand strategy etc.

But for simple action games (including games like dark Souls, Dishonored etc.) I actually prefer to sit on the couch with a controller and game on my 55 inch 4k tv. I have hooked my gaming laptop to my tv in the past but I'm too laze to do it each time.

Plus now I can play some exclusives and the money is not really an issue for me right now so I don't mind paying for the console.

edit: also a lot of my friends have a PS4 so now I can play with them in some of their stupid games.
You will buy the fat woman to trample your balls, then?

DemonKing

Arcane
I recently bought a PS4 and have been slowly going through all the exclusives I've wanted to play on it. I've started with the original Uncharted trilogy and have taken a break after #2 to do Last of Us. Not sure if U4/Lost legacy are better games but I think starting with the originals will help in understanding the characters/backstory that turn up in the later games. I also got Bloodborne and Nioh but haven't fiddled with them extensively yet.

I got free copies of FO4, New Wolfenstein and Evil Within 2 when I bought the console but haven't done anything seriously with them yet. I sold the new Wolfenstein as I found aiming impossible in it with a controller compared to the Master Race demo I tried.

Horizon Zero Dawn is definitely on my list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom