Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ I can't aim for shit in FPS anymore

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Perhaps you're retroactively overestimating your previous accomplishments? You're playing on the similar level for too long, and it's not that you're getting worse, it's that you no longer feel like you're accomplishing something? Probably not the case here, but who knows.

You're probably also putting less time in playing games now-days, even if it doesn't feel like you do. Every day of not practicing has a significant influence on your abilities.

Perhaps you're not as focused? More responsibilities, less immershun?

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't worry Ed69, I have a similar problem with platform games. When I was little kid I could jump like a pro. Now it's usually frustration combined with cursing and feeling bad. FPS games, on the other hand are still my number one time waster so I play them almost everyday with some custom maps and having a good accuracy overall.

tindrli

Arcane
I don't think it's any trick of the mind. I'm not saying I was an amazing player or anything, just an average twitch-pc-fps player. But I don't recall ever having difficulties in this vein.

did you tried to experiment with mouse sensitivity?? in my case it did wonders

Drax

Arcane
I have the same problem.
I tried one of 'em "kill the brown people VII" fpses a few weeks ago and I couldn't even see the fuckers, I guess camouflage works.
I remember being pretty good at Doom II, Shadow Warrior, Blood. Now I play like my granny...

AngryKobold

Arcane
"Gaming mouse". What a joke. Any kind of PC peripheral tagged as "gaming" makes a clear sign to avoid the product. Because it's certainly overpriced, it's impossible to hold comfortably and also, if the company gets creative, there are blue, eye- fucking LEDs everywhere. May seem a drastic generalization, but in most cases it's true.

Meanwhile I'm getting satisfying results in whatever I play, using an outdated trackball. I laugh at you all.

Cadmus

Arcane
I'd blame it on lack of practice (maybe you think you play the same amount but play less? smaller number of 5 hours shooting sessions to get you in the flow?). Especially MP games you get fucked if you don't play a lot and for long periods of time to get into the rhythm, imo. You are likely not too old to be as good as when you were in your teens. Additionally, you should use your advantage of meta experience to destroy the children with their 20 hours /day gaming spree.

I feel it too but I can tell that whenever I actually put lots of time like I used to (5-7 hours a day playing the same fucking game, repeat for a week) I get really better and can feel the difference and I'm sure it's because I used to play like this. I just don't bother anymore with such stupid shit.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
A couple of thoughts from an FPS gamer that still plays FPS games and still does fine:
1. In the old days, most folks internet connections ranged from crap to fair. Currently, most are good. Pings are a real factor in FPS games, so if you had an advantage in the past, you may not be enjoying that advantage now.
2. We are at a point in the market where CPU's are not changing that rapidly. In the past if you had a Pentium II and everyone else had a lower level system, you would be at an advantage. Nowadays, most systems have pretty good graphics capabilities by default and you may not have a system advantage.
3. FPS games are nothing new. Everyone knows how to play them, and they haven't changed too much in the last 10 years. Everyone is using WASD instead of arrow keys, everyone knows about key-bindings, and how to find educational videos on YouTube that make you better. So skill levels have risen.
4. Resolutions are higher and mice are more accurate. As others have said, it was easier to hit the right pixel on 640x480 than on 1920 x 1280. There were a lot less of them. Unless you play Huntsman in TF2...
5. The games themselves aren't changing as dramatically. Most games have settled into the same scenario and controls, so your skills are transferable: Battlefield 4, COD 4, TF2, Arma III, CS:GO etc. Those game franchises have been out for ten or so years, so you have all kinds of folks who have played them a LONG time. No place for dominant casuals anymore...
6. Young people aren't better, they just have the time it requires to maintain skills at a high level. Now, this is contentious, but I played the hell out of some games and when I was at my peak, I was untouchable. This was in my 30's, and usually drunk. Now, I would walk into the same game and get owned AND REALLY PISSED OFF if I was 12 - 25 or so. I wouldn't say "damn, I'm old." I'd say, wish I had time to get back into form.

You can be better, it just takes more effort than it used to because skills are higher. Either way, don't believe that bullshit that your skills diminish in your 30's. This isn't running a triathlon, for God's sake.

Raapys

Arcane
I'm still up there, awesome as always. Definitely on and off games though, sometimes the flow just isn't with you and every action you take is a millisecond too early or too late.

Cadmus

Arcane
A couple of thoughts from an FPS gamer that still plays FPS games and still does fine:
1. In the old days, most folks internet connections ranged from crap to fair. Currently, most are good. Pings are a real factor in FPS games, so if you had an advantage in the past, you may not be enjoying that advantage now.
2. We are at a point in the market where CPU's are not changing that rapidly. In the past if you had a Pentium II and everyone else had a lower level system, you would be at an advantage. Nowadays, most systems have pretty good graphics capabilities by default and you may not have a system advantage.
3. FPS games are nothing new. Everyone knows how to play them, and they haven't changed too much in the last 10 years. Everyone is using WASD instead of arrow keys, everyone knows about key-bindings, and how to find educational videos on YouTube that make you better. So skill levels have risen.
4. Resolutions are higher and mice are more accurate. As others have said, it was easier to hit the right pixel on 640x480 than on 1920 x 1280. There were a lot less of them. Unless you play Huntsman in TF2...
5. The games themselves aren't changing as dramatically. Most games have settled into the same scenario and controls, so your skills are transferable: Battlefield 4, COD 4, TF2, Arma III, CS:GO etc. Those game franchises have been out for ten or so years, so you have all kinds of folks who have played them a LONG time. No place for dominant casuals anymore...
6. Young people aren't better, they just have the time it requires to maintain skills at a high level. Now, this is contentious, but I played the hell out of some games and when I was at my peak, I was untouchable. This was in my 30's, and usually drunk. Now, I would walk into the same game and get owned AND REALLY PISSED OFF if I was 12 - 25 or so. I wouldn't say "damn, I'm old." I'd say, wish I had time to get back into form.

You can be better, it just takes more effort than it used to because skills are higher. Either way, don't believe that bullshit that your skills diminish in your 30's. This isn't running a triathlon, for God's sake.
I use arrows and move the keyboard to the left.. always have

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
I pinched a nerve in my elbow a few years ago and lost all feeling in half of my left hand for like 6 months. Thought I was going to have to give up on FPS forever but then I remembered I don't play any.

Gregz

Arcane
I can't aim for shit in FPS anymore

That's why the Codex is a great place for gamers to retire. Turn-based games require no twitch skills whatsoever.

Is this why the Codex was formed in the first place - old men, embittered by the loss of their pewpewing skills, banded together to proclaim turn-based combat superior?

Yes, HAHAHAHA the joke is on you kid! (speaking for Crispy)

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I used to as well, but then needed more keys bound than were within reach of the arrow keys. The transition was brutal, but after six months I was back up to form.

To be honest, I'm curious what key you use for jump?

Gregz

Arcane
I used to as well, but then needed more keys bound than were within reach of the arrow keys. The transition was brutal, but after six months I was back up to form.

To be honest, I'm curious what key you use for jump?

Wow, that's horribad guys.

Best keymap is asdfv, where a is jump and fv are forward/back and sd is strafe.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
27 is old now? It's because you play shitty console games with a controller.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Best keymap is asdfv, where a is jump and fv are forward/back and sd is strafe.

:notsureifserious:

Everyone thinks aswd is best because it's what they have been taught by crappy earlier keymaps, but it is not. asdfv has been tested and confirmed as superior.
Gregz hand...
symbrachy.jpg

Drax

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom