Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ I can't aim for shit in FPS anymore

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Wow, that's many titles

Cadmus

Arcane
I use arrows and move the keyboard to the left.. always have
I used to as well, but then needed more keys bound than were within reach of the arrow keys. The transition was brutal, but after six months I was back up to form.

To be honest, I'm curious what key you use for jump?

Wow, that's horribad guys.

Best keymap is asdfv, where a is jump and fv are forward/back and sd is strafe.
:)

I use arrows, shift jump, ctrl crouch, num0 reload. you dont usually need much else.
but hey, I also found out Ive been holding the guitar pick wrong for years and when I tried to change it, it improved my speed so I won't say that "fuck you I know what I'm doing". It's just why bother when now I don't see any FPS worth playing anyway.
How do you lean in games that use it? WASD is superior in those cases because of easy access to Q and E. How do you "use"?
Use is not important to have quick access to so I use Enter. I have the whole left side of the numpad for accessible binds and the HOME/DELETE square of keys for the rest, like force powers in Jedi Knight. I believe it works pretty good, especially with games with many keys and honestly it's easier for me to remember, prevents accidentally pressing something else because the keys are nicely separated.
Of course I wouldn't be able to use this on a laptop but I don't have any :)

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I used to think I suck at FPS games as well, and I blamed it on my age. Then I started actually playing again and realized it was mostly lack of training and I'm back to a comfortable 2+ K/D

soulburner

Cipher
I have noticed I'm worse at first person perspective games too. I have a logical explanation, though - I used to play such games almost exclusively in my late teens before I discovered RPGs and focused on them. I bought Battlefield 3 not so long ago and was only frustrated. I recently played the new Wolfenstein game and got owned by the Nazis even on the lowest difficulty. I also wanted to see what's this thing called Brutal Doom and... I couldn't finish E1M1 without dying. It's not because I'm getting old, not because my eyesight is worse and definitely not because of higher screen resolution, different aspect ratio or lack of a ball inside my mouse. It's just lack of practice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom