Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I can't seem to finish any RPGs

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
RPGs are too long. There I fucking said it.

You could take any RPG over 30 hours long, cut it in half, and it would result in a better game.

hexer

RPGs are way too long. There I fucking said it.

You could take any RPG over 30 hours long, cut it in half, and it would result in a better game.

Yeah, many RPGs have too much filler content thrown in just because "CRPGs have been like that since beginning"
In my CRPG, I'm focusing heavily on making everything revolve around and influence the main story. No filler content at all.

GloomFrost

Arcane
So out of 30 RPGs you only enjoyed OS 2??? Wow! It wasnt even the best RPG of 2017. To answer your question the fault is definitely with you not the genre. Maybe try playing action or racing games.

Voltigeur

Novice
I know how you feel OP, I really do.
Imagine struggling not only with Arr Pee Geez but video games in general...

Maybe it is our subconscious telling us that we should grow up and stop wasting our time playing games like a child.

Maybe it is time to move on...

RaptorRex888

Learned
I know how you feel OP, I really do.
Imagine struggling not only with Arr Pee Geez but video games in general...

Maybe it is our subconscious telling us that we should grow up and stop wasting our time playing games like a child.

Maybe it is time to move on...
Much better to waste our time talking about videogames than playing them.

V_K

Arcane
I don't see what the problem is. As long as you can get 15-20 hours of entertainment out of a game, what does it matter if its storyline ends at that point or some hours later? If you absolutely must know how it ends, read up on the internet. Most RPGs don't have mechanics that can support a 30-50-100 hour playthrough and stop throwing new gameplay elements at you somewhere around the 20 hour point anyway. All you've left with afterwards is just worthless storyfaggotry.

hexer

Most RPGs don't have mechanics that can support a 30-50-100 hour playthrough and stop throwing new gameplay elements at you somewhere around the 20 hour point anyway. All you've left with afterwards is just worthless storyfaggotry.

Yoko Taro loves you!

hexer

I'm afraid this reference is lost on me.

Yoko Taro mixes up gameplay all the time in his games to keep players on their toes.
Here's his quote on the subject you mentioned.

Yoko Taro said:
Looking at AAA titles, of course I find them beautiful and interesting, but after 20 minutes of gameplay I wonder whether it is going to be the same for the following 20 hours.
I am a bit tired of this. If possible, I would like to make games that are unexpected, games that keep changing form.
This is the mindset I had when I created the first NieR game, and it is present in NieR:Automata as well.

https://jrocknews.com/2017/04/get-into-the-mind-of-yoko-taro-the-game-director-of-nierautomata.html

RaptorRex888

Learned
I'm afraid this reference is lost on me.

Yoko Taro mixes up gameplay all the time in his games to keep players on their toes.
Here's his quote on the subject you mentioned.

Yoko Taro said:
Looking at AAA titles, of course I find them beautiful and interesting, but after 20 minutes of gameplay I wonder whether it is going to be the same for the following 20 hours.
I am a bit tired of this. If possible, I would like to make games that are unexpected, games that keep changing form.
This is the mindset I had when I created the first NieR game, and it is present in NieR:Automata as well.

https://jrocknews.com/2017/04/get-into-the-mind-of-yoko-taro-the-game-director-of-nierautomata.html
Thanks for reminding me I still need to play Automata.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Why am I getting bullied for admitting I can't finish RPGs. I tried to be open and honest with you guys in the hope that you might remedy my situation but instead you just tore me down

:negative:
Because you are a shitposter who pollutes the forum with a seemingly endless stream of terrible threads and posts. You also seem to have garbage taste.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Sounds like OP may have found his calling in life.

trust.png

fabrulana

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Meh don't worry typical responses for codex. I actually have a similar problem, only finished a few RPGs. Mostly due to attention deficit ... ooh look shiny!
But one of my sons have taught me to try and stick to things and not to get lost in side quests - which the completionist in me tends to do.
Took some effort to try and ignore them though. Another thing I realised, just because I didn't finish a game, doesn't mean I don't like it - it may depend on distractions, mood and other variables...

I mean looking at your list of RPGs, most of those are bad games. D:OS2, ToEE, PoE... Try playing something good, like ELEX, or Witcher 3.

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane
If you get bogged down in some rpg and want to take a breather, it's hard to come back after a couple of weeks and get back into finishing it. It's a genre best played quickly in a few sittings, when the quests and the map layouts are fresh in your min ( especially in older rpgs ). Other genres are easier to abandon and then pick back up.

LordofSyn

Scholar

While there is undoubtedly a very real aspect to your stance that is true, it also depends on the gameplay loops and character/party growth dynamic.

If the grind is fun and the growth is there to allow you to make your own builds, then the player is at fault more than the designer for the length of time it takes to complete.

Computer RPGs cannot match the near limitless freedom that tabletop RPGs have, so they usually have a lot of content to keep you busy and pad out the time you spend in their "world".

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

30 hours is what I consider decent length for RPG. That's even replayable provided it's good enough. It's them fucking 50-100 hour ones that I can't be arsed to do anymore. Divinity OS, fuck you! Shit, I was rushing that game in last third and still ended up with 90+ hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom