Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I can't seem to finish any RPGs

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's a Jap game, of course you'll be grinding for hours.

It's basically modern Wizardry 5
hhxt_elminage_2017-04-07_23-16-46-35.jpg

RPG Codex would love this game
Why is Geert Wilders a jew all of a sudden?

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
...I've played probably around 20-30 RPGs, but the only one I actually finished and enjoyed to the very end was Divinity Original Sin 2...

They'll post about Baldur's Gate and I remember I quit before I even got to the actual city of Baldur's Gate. They'll post about Pillars of Eternty and I remember I quit soon after reaching Elm's Reach...

How you were able to finish DOS 2 but quit Baldur's Gate before reaching the city is absolutely beyond me.
As for PoE, when you get to Elm's Reach the game is almost done. Invest just a couple more hours...

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
...I've played probably around 20-30 RPGs, but the only one I actually finished and enjoyed to the very end was Divinity Original Sin 2...

They'll post about Baldur's Gate and I remember I quit before I even got to the actual city of Baldur's Gate. They'll post about Pillars of Eternty and I remember I quit soon after reaching Elm's Reach...

How you were able to finish DOS 2 but quit Baldur's Gate before reaching the city is absolutely beyond me.
As for PoE, when you get to Elm's Reach the game is almost done. Invest just a couple more hours...

It took me 5 to 6 years to get to Baldur's Gate.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
FWIW, after I made a chronological play list I complete nearly all games I start.

Making a play list eliminates the choice paralysis.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I'm finishing up Tyranny. I hate this fucking game, but I'm doing it goddammit! Cuz that's what heroes do.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm finishing up Tyranny. I hate this fucking game, but I'm doing it goddammit! Cuz that's what heroes do.

I've definitely felt this way here and there. You're playing a mediocre RPG and you just want to be DONE but it keeps going and you're like "I'm not giving up!" Just had this experience with Greedfall recently.

Diggfinger

Arcane
"I Can't seem to get a hard-on" (Said about 90% of Codexers in informal sondage)

Got point though. Proper RPGs are big games with complicated systems.
Although I luuve a game like Arcanum, I've probably only finished it...once ? or Twice? (I can replay the starting areas over and over again, though)

Yeah, ideallyRPGS should not be too long and it's rare if a can game retain my interest more than 20hours. Prefer a short and good experience

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This year I played the behemoths of the genre, 120-hour games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Underrail and a few 80-hour halfgiants like Divinity: Original Sin and Atom RPG. So, shorter games, like 20-hour long Game of Thrones or Of Orcs and Men seemed really refreshing. Not to mention Disco Elysium which gave me an elegant 27 hours of enjoyment (an experience that would propably become tedious if it was twice longer). So yeah, I second the statement - good experience without much filler is okay in my book.

Last edited:

just

Liturgist
grown men like myself don't play games, just watch the trailers (sometimes even the gameplay trailer) and shitpost about them on forums
days of collecting trash and talking to npcs are long gone

overly excitable young man

This year I played the behemoths of the genre, 120-hour games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Underrail and a few 80-hour halfgiants like Divinity: Original Sin and Atom RPG. So, shorter games, like 20-hour long Game of Thrones or Of Orcs and Men seemed really refreshing. Not to mention Disco Elysium which gave me an elegant 27 hours of enjoyment (an experience that would propably become tedious if it was twice longer). So yeah, I'm second the statement - good experience without much filler is okay in my book.
Assassins Creed Odyssey is a rpg now? Did you play Underrail 3 times or did you clear out everything?

That approach really isn't healthy. If you hate a game you should just stop playing.
You can still come back later.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Assassins Creed Odyssey is an action rpg, sure. Not the best one, but I'm a sucker for ancient Greece.

I finished Underrail once, but it was quite completionist playthrough, with Expedition.

overly excitable young man

Ah ok. I can't stand Addons and DLC, even when they are well made.
Except Gothic 2, but that one is so well integrated it is a whole other game.

Diggfinger

Arcane
I have added a noble mission to my bucket list: COMPLETE GRIMOIRE!

I will be my life's work
:whiteknight:

Pray for me, my brothers....
:shredder:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom