Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic I DID IT!!! (Old: I just can't seem to finish Might and Magic VI)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know what's wrong with me, but as the title says, I just can't finish this game. Despite that I love it.

So, I started playing this game during the holidays. I already played it a couple of times, but never managed to reach even the half of the game before I started to get bored. This game is fantastic, I love the artstyle, I love the music, the gameplay loop is fun (for a while). And despite this, after 20-25 hours I just feel that I'm not having that much fun. I'm slogging through fantastic dungeons, but they are filled with endless wave of mobs, and at this point, I feel that the gameplay loop starts to get repetitive.

I told myself that this time I will finish this game, but I feel that I won't do it. I repeat the game is great....so maybe it is me? Am I old and can't play long games like this?

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
I don't know what's wrong with me, but as the title says, I just can't finish this game. Despite that I love it.

So, I started playing this game during the holidays. I already played it a couple of times, but never managed to reach even the half of the game before I started to get bored. This game is fantastic, I love the artstyle, I love the music, the gameplay loop is fun (for a while). And despite this, after 20-25 hours I just feel that I'm not having that much fun. I'm slogging through fantastic dungeons, but they are filled with endless wave of mobs, and at this point, I feel that the gameplay loop starts to get repetitive.

I told myself that this time I will finish this game, but I feel that I won't do it. I repeat the game is great....so maybe it is me? Am I old and can't play long games like this?
It seems to me that only because you appreciate some aspects of the game, you are forcing yourself to finish it even if you are not having fun.
It's ok, you can still regard the game as good while admitting it's not enjoyable for you anymore.
You can pick it up later when you are in the right mood or never.
The purpose is to have fun

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

It seems to me that only because you appreciate some aspects of the game, you are forcing yourself to finish it even if you are not having fun.
It's ok, you can still regard the game as good while admitting it's not enjoyable for you anymore.
You can pick it up later when you are in the right mood or never.
The purpose is to have fun
I will try to play it in short burst, instead of committing hours, maybe it will help to avoid the feeling of repetitiveness.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've found that if you like a game in general but feel it gets repetitive after a while, it's worth it to take a break (months if you have to) and then return to your latest save file. I've finished a few games like that in recent years that I wouldn't have otherwise. Or play 2 or more games in short bursts.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I finished it. Took me literally 1-2 seconds to kill the end game boss because the game was unbalanced and I was so overpowered. The boss was some kind of half-human, half-serpentine chick-thing from outer space, right? Been a while. I only caught the most fleeting glimpse of her then POOF!... she was dead and gone. I think all it took was one bolt from that mystical crossbow weapon I fought hard to acquire in one of the three interconnected caverns. I liked M&M VI a lot but I would never play it again. However, I did leave M&M VII unfinished. I had fallen through an outdoor trap into an underground cave with several chambers infested with trolls and I couldn't be arsed to find/fight my way to an exit. Good game though.

Void_Pickle

Educated
I also started this over the holidays. Second time around for me, and I actually finished it this time. I did play in pretty short bursts for the first half of it or so, and I think that did help. I also didn't force myself to completely clear out every area like I normally would.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The Magyars are not impressed by manlings with low endurance.

Wb64zTO.jpg

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Trying to play one of these 300 hours RPGs nowadays all in one streak is foolish. We have too many distractions and too many new games worth playing.

I recommend you combine these elements:
Don't try to make yourself "work on it".
Do keep the game installed.
Do keep the game icon in a prominent place on your desktop/game folder.
Don't play other similar RPGs.

Now simply wait until you get that OCD "I feel like levelling up a character in a game somewhere", then pick MM6 back up and it will be fresh for a little while and give you that good RPG feeling. You may even find yourself loving it all over again to the point where you play another 100 hours without even trying. Or, maybe just a few hours until you feel satisfied. Either way is fine.

Oh, one last thing ... no matter how long it's been since you last played, don't give in to the urge to start a new party. See if you can pick up where you left off.

Viata

Arcane
Trying to play one of these 300 hours RPGs nowadays all in one streak is foolish.
Yeah. Recently I have been playing one long game + some short games. This way I can get to finish the long game without getting tired and also enjoy playing short games that I'll never get bored because I'll finish them before that happens.
However, because of that, I have fall in love with short games and which there was many short rpg games. :negative:

Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt
Perfect RPG is around 40 hours long.
Gothic 2 and Fallout 2 territory.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I don't like games that force me to ride sea creatures.
You will be happy to know then that the turtle is entirely optional. I do not recommend swimming, but you can certainly chug down baldercake and refresh spells in order to avoid needing the turtle.

Thunar

Educated
I don't like games that force me to ride sea creatures.
You will be happy to know then that the turtle is entirely optional. I do not recommend swimming, but you can certainly chug down baldercake and refresh spells in order to avoid needing the turtle.
:shredder:
Why would you ever do such a thing?

Viata

Arcane
The version I played had a limited number of steps you can take before dying(it doesn't matter how big was your hp or anything else). Is it still the same?

Viata

Arcane
Strange Fellow There was even a post from Roguey that counted how many HP you lost from each step(like 1/2 or so), which made it take the same no matter how big your hp is. It's been a while so I don't remember well, though. I may have to replay the game.

I like to play old school blobbers with the sound muted while I listen to operas that I have a low-level of familiarity with. Not sure why, but it makes me engage with the opera more fully and learn it faster while also putting me in the perfect state of zen for blobbing.
I suppose you could also listen to podcasts or something if that’s your thing.

Trying to play one of these 300 hours RPGs nowadays all in one streak is foolish. We have too many distractions and too many new games worth playing.

MM6 wans't that long,i didn't finished it but i did reached the control centre in less than two weeks of playtime.The game is around 40-60 hours long,but if you can only play 2 hours per day then it takes one entire month to beat it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom