Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I reached 1st division in Fifa 20 Seasons play

Falksi

Arcane
I like a bit of FIFA 17 every now and then, but have no idea how folk can spend hours on it. I usually put it on to kill 10-20min when the missus is cooking dinner, and I'm waiting for her to dish up.

But those 10-20 minutes soon add up. I'm 4 seasons into career mode, so must have played it a fair bit (even though half of that I was out injured)

Not bad for a £1 game

Egosphere

Arcane
I remember fifa 07 being crazy. It had wonky physics, and you always felt like you were playing at x2 speed. Ronaldinho was unstoppable there as well, I think.

Silva

Arcane
For all advancement in gfx and physics it's amazing how awful this game is at simulating actual football (soccer for you cunts), specially if we consider NBA2K succeeds at this for some time now. Now sure, a basketball game has fewer moving parts but comeon we're in 2020, there's no excuse.

I know PES is a tad better in the Sim department but something in its animations always feel off to me. I miss the days of Winning Eleven on PS2. Those were the days.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
You're part of the reason why EA still exists. Yeah, that's definitely something to feel proud of, son.

Duraframe300

Arcane
For all advancement in gfx and physics it's amazing how awful this game is at simulating actual football (soccer for you cunts), specially if we consider NBA2K succeeds at this for some time now. Now sure, a basketball game has fewer moving parts but comeon we're in 2020, there's no excuse.

I know PES is a tad better in the Sim department but something in its animations always feel off to me. I miss the days of Winning Eleven on PS2. Those were the days.

Yeah, but NBA2k manages to be an even shitter *game* in everything but simulating basketball than EA's monstrosities. And considering ultimate team is a thing and EA does zero improvements on other modes thats quite the accoplisment.

Unless they cleaned up their act in 2k20, wouldn't know.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
My brother did it too some months ago. He's constantly bitching about how random the gameplay actually is, the handicaps and stuff. He prefer PES and older football games, but FIFA is the only with a decent multiplayer netcode.

PD:

Silva

Arcane

Yeah, but NBA2k manages to be an even shitter *game* in everything but simulating basketball than EA's monstrosities. And considering ultimate team is a thing and EA does zero improvements on other modes thats quite the accoplisment.

What shit are you smoking, I want some. Me, my brother and a friend get together to play it once a semester or so and it's the best sports experience ever. No other sports game manage to depict the subtleties of the real thing while also being fucking great to play Versus.

The only recent sports game that came close to this kind of experience for us was UFC 2 on consoles. But that's already dead because UFC 3 fucked everything up.

Duraframe300

Arcane

What shit are you smoking, I want some. Me, my brother and a friend get together to play it once a semester or so and it's the best sports experience ever. No other sports game manage to depict the subtleties of the real thing while also being fucking great to play Versus.

The only recent sports game that came close to this kind of experience for us was UFC 2 on consoles. But that's already dead because UFC 3 fucked everything up.

The shit of having played NBA 2k and it having the worst monetization cancer I've seen in my life. At least up until 2k19, haven't played the last entries because of that experience. I'm also not critizizing its gameplay. Thats decent ofc.

Its everything around it.

Generic-Giant-Spider

NBA 2k is worth buying every year if they keep the players struggling to read words off a sheet of paper:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
In the late 90's people talked about how EA kept releasing the same game every year with minor updates, but there were radical changes (not always improvements, but at least changes) at least every couple of years. Nowadays they're charging full price for a modded FIFA 12, with the same game modes and flaws that the series had nearly a decade ago. Sure, they do include one or two easily marketed new features™ every year, but the core is still essentially the same. You'll still have to fiddle around with sliders to make the game seem even remotely like football. It's still impossible to find manual players online on the PC, because even fucking professional players use assisted controls like it was baby's first sports game. The career mode is essentially still the same, with a couple of more features that mostly just add to the tedium (the shitty scouting system, the semi-mandatory training minigames that make you hate yourself for wasting your life, the super repetitive cutscenes that make every contract negotiation a chore etc.) instead of adding any meaningful depth. The AI teams still play like a bunch of robots, and there's not a moment of joy to be found in beating them. Who cares about that kind of stuff when you've got millions of drones willing to pour their money into shit like Ultimate Team? It's an utterly soulless product with zero passion or love put into it, even by EA standards.

PES is much more fun on the pitch, but the game modes are (still) a joke, a baffling mix of pseudo-realism and poorly balanced 90's arcade that really doesn't work on any level and would've seemed dated twenty years ago. Konami also don't seem to be able to consistently improve on their game, taking steps forward and backward in equal measure. PES 2017 was the first really enjoyable PES in ages, but then the next one wasn't nearly as good and had tons of problems gameplay-wise. I've heard 2020 is good again, but some patches already made it worse. I'd check it out, but I'm not really in the mood for spending an evening installing unofficial patches and manually changing stadium names only for some mandatory automatic update to fuck it all up a couple of days later.

For me the only worthy football game at the moment is Football Manager. Too bad you can't play it because it consumes your life.

As for the NBA 2K series, it's miles ahead of FIFA as a sports simulation, but nowadays it comes bundled with some abhorrent shit like microtransactions and apparently in-game ads too, so it's probably better to just steer clear of it.

Last edited:

Dramart

Learned
NBA 2k is worth buying every year if they keep the players struggling to read words off a sheet of paper:

hqdefault.jpg

Silva

Arcane
In the late 90's people talked about how EA kept releasing the same game every year with minor updates, but there were radical changes (not always improvements, but at least changes) at least every couple of years. Nowadays they're charging full price for a modded FIFA 12, with the same game modes and flaws that the series had nearly a decade ago. Sure, they do include one or two easily marketed new features™ every year, but the core is still essentially the same. You'll still have to fiddle around with sliders to make the game seem even remotely like football. It's still impossible to find manual players online on the PC, because even fucking professional players use assisted controls like it was baby's first sports game. The career mode is essentially still the same, with a couple of more features that mostly just add to the tedium (the shitty scouting system, the semi-mandatory training minigames that make you hate yourself for wasting your life, the super repetitive cutscenes that make every contract negotiation a chore etc.) instead of adding any meaningful depth. The AI teams still play like a bunch of robots, and there's not a moment of joy to be found in beating them. Who cares about that kind of stuff when you've got millions of drones willing to pour their money into shit like Ultimate Team? It's an utterly soulless product with zero passion or love put into it, even by EA standards.

PES is much more fun on the pitch, but the game modes are (still) a joke, a baffling mix of pseudo-realism and poorly balanced 90's arcade that really doesn't work on any level and would've seemed dated twenty years ago. Konami also don't seem to be able to consistently improve on their game, taking steps forward and backward in equal measure. PES 2017 was the first really enjoyable PES in ages, but then the next one wasn't nearly as good and had tons of problems gameplay-wise. I've heard 2020 is good again, but some patches already made it worse. I'd check it out, but I'm not really in the mood for spending an evening installing unofficial patches and manually changing stadium names only for some mandatory automatic update to fuck it all up a couple of days later.

For me the only worthy football game at the moment is Football Manager. Too bad you can't play it because it consumes your life.

As for the NBA 2K series, it's miles ahead of FIFA as a sports simulation, but nowadays it comes bundled with some abhorrent shit like microtransactions and apparently in-game ads too, so it's probably better to just steer clear of it.
Can't really disagree here. I would say the only reason to buy PES and NBA 2K would be to play offline in your room with a couple friends that are sports fans and love some simulation, like I do. Otherwise it's not worth it, as the marketed modes of career, online seasons etc. are shit. Nba 2k is good even against the AI, as you can set some sliders and playbooks for the AI and it gets reasonably good.

Fifa though isn't good in any mode except as a very casual wank after a days work. But if you have a dog that's fully vaccinated, its better to have it lick the head of your penis for a better effect. Yeah, I'm uninstalling this shit.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

FIFA 98 and Virtua Striker 2 for the arcade were always my favorite football games. There was also one on PS2, Winning Eleven/Seven or something that people swore was the shit. Never got too into it though.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I wanted to play a football game so I just ended up installing PES 5 again.

While the newer games obviously have made notable improvements over it (like more elaborate control schemes including full 360-degree analog control, more fleshed-out game modes and more challenging AI), none of them is quite as enjoyable and satisfying to play as PES was in its glory days. Shooting and passing feels great with just the right amount of weight to everything, scoring a goal never gets old, and the AI is fun to play against, feeling very "human" but still managing to put up a good fight... at least until you go through a couple of seasons and start to steamroll everything with your inevitably overpowered Master League squad.

FIFA was never on the same level in terms of gameplay, even if it has always had superior licences and production values.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom