Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

I will bring buttons back

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by DarkUnderlord, Feb 3, 2019.

?

Buttons

1. Bring buttons back

50.2%
  2. I am a brofist purist

27.9%
  3. Remove brofists too

21.9%
  1. HeroicBloodshed Learned

HeroicBloodshed
    If someone already made the argument I can read it myself, and respond if I disagree. Posting :retadred: isn't an argument, and enables retards to have a say without adding new arguments and putting themselves on the line.

They negatively affect posting by enabling button-whoring and by giving positive/negative feedback to posters they don't actually engage with real reasons and arguments.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    The main problem with negative buttons is that it gives assholes and butthurt children a means to harass those they deem to have somehow slighted them. Since I have been here, I have noted at least 6 campaigns by several posters against people they don't like. Lambchop or Lady Error or both were the victims of such a campaign, which only stopped when the mods "negotiated" with the prick involved and gave them their Literal Hitler title in return for the asshole stopping his campaign. Atlantico has at least two posters in his sights that he down votes religiously, actually surfing threads for posts he can down vote, regardless of what was being said.

Stalkers who harass others by following them from thread to thread and aggressively attacking them via actual posts can be shown for the idiots they are. Archangel, for example, got so butthurt that he started stalking a poster and was told to fuck off by at least one other poster for being a butthurt bitch.

Negative buttons allow for harassment without the possibility of any recourse, especially given that some of the mods here are biased as hell, as proven by my sig, and have their own little cliques that they will defend to the death. As such, these buttons are cancer to any forum that tries to foster free speech and open communication. Getting rid of them, even to the point of just brofists, is a good thing for debate and openess. If DarkUnderlord wishes to bring back buttons, I hope he will only bring back those which are positive (brofist, incline, funny, etc.) or neutral (e.g., agree, disagree, yes, no, etc.), and leave out those that can be abused (e.g., retarded, autism, shit, etc.).

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. theSavant Prophet

theSavant
    Yeah, that abuse of negative buttons is probably the reason why other forums removed it as well. Likewise in here when only brofists exist.

One problem with only positive ratings though is: let's say someone posts shit, then another responds to him and puts a huge shit-picture into his post -> as a consequence everyone brofists him. So it causes indirect attention whore brofist harvesting. Despite it's less prone to abuse.

So yeah, there should be something for disagreement, but which buttons should remain?... brofist, disagree, funny, sad/despair, shocked/wtf? A handful would be enough probably.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    ^ Top  
  4. Modron Arcane

Modron
    Said it in shoutbox, I would be in favor of a more limited button parade of Brofists, yes/no (nice because of all the yes/no questions), citation needed (for screenshot thread alone), and prosper (great for both autistic and horrific content, also is fun to call people out for like potato faced monstrosities in the women you find attractive thread). Balanced is fun as well but I could live without it.

^ Top  
  5. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    I am not sure which should remain, but I know those that should not remain: retarded (the harasser's favourite), shit (another favourite), racist (used by the prick in the Lady Error/Lambchop campaign, hence their title), autism (a favourite of a mod)

There are probably others, but I haven't memorised the buttons list. These are memorable simply because they are favourites of harassers and so turn up most often.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Proper would be abused to hell instantly. When we have harassers rating every post of a poster racist, regardless of what was being said (it could be "the sky is blue" and the racist tag will be slammed on it), then the only way to prevent such abuse is to remove the rating itself.

^ Top  
  7. muckguppy Scholar

muckguppy
    forget buttons, delete shoutbox.. the true cancer of rpgcodex!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Carrion Arcane Patron

Carrion
    It's been great to browse the Codex for (more or less) a week and have every page load properly. Actually noticed the improved performance before the lack of buttons.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    itt: the codex discussing the appalling lack of civility on these forums, trying to work out constructive solutions to it

o tempora

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. turkishronin Learned

turkishronin
    Can we remove Infinitron as well now we're at it

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Are you retarded? Who said anything about civility, you flaming imbecile?

There is a difference between starting a post just to call you a cunt and hitting a button on every post you have ever made, you fucking moron.

I hope this post makes it clear.

^ Top  
  13. theSavant Prophet

theSavant
    Seriously I don't get that "remove Infinitron". Infinitron did not put up a shitshow like Dark Underlord. But yeah...it's always "Ban Infinitron" I guess... Does fit to the "faceless crowd who has no opinion of its own, and just emerges to click buttons or harass someone for the lulz, but mostly without explanation."

Fuck this shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. TheImplodingVoice Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

TheImplodingVoice
    Behead Those That Insult And Take Away Buttons.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. Cyberarmy Arcane Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I vote fot this too!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    :friendly:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    Hello hello friend.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    Hello hello yourself

^ Top  
  19. Sigourn Arcane

Sigourn
    I have to say I'm REALLY glad about the lack of buttons other than Brofists. Today I wake up with 12 notifications. None of them are with "retadred", "shit", and other ratings. All of them are either brofists or people genuinely discussing what I'm posting, which is a refreshing and fairly inclined change.

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Atlantico Magister Patron

Atlantico
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    :butthurt::butthurt::butthurt:

You being predictably butthurt because of ratings is v. lulzy.

You are the single most stupid person I've ever encountered, expect to be rated accordingly. You're an oxygen deficit to the planet and a waste of space.

Just look at the "contribution" you've made to this thread. Like everything of yours, it's like potholes in the road, good to avoid, best to pave over.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Unreal Learned

Unreal
    Okay. But then what about brofists? They may not have pretty pictures to go along with it, but it's the same thing, and all such harvesting and attention-whoring has happened with them before. If anything I'd expect less of that, since there's so many buttons that it doesn't really mean anything. But whatever. To me, ratings were just another part of ‘talking about shit with mates’. They were funny. Do you hate fun? Stop being pretentious. You're just butthurt that you can be rated negatively, otherwise you wouldn't be complaining that buttons make the Codex ‘oppressive’. You just want to silence them since they can't be rebuked with muh reesuns an argoomints. If I had buttons, I'd have just rated you negatively. Good thing I can't, that would have been so :retadred:.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    really makes you think

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Sacred82 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Sacred82
    :hopefully optimistic:

^ Top  
  24. LeStryfe79 Deal Breaker Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Like I've said before, the buttons are a great work of art. Like all great works of art, they come at a price. Some are willing to pay that price and some are not. I stand among those who are willing. I've seen great things accomplished through the buttons that I otherwise would not have seen. Glory to the great buttons! If you want to disagree with me, you can't! You sold out your own free will!!! Hahaha! You losers took away your own ability to defend yourselves unless you reply with a retarded post. Hahaha! All you can do is brofist me, not brofist me, or take time out of your day engaging in pettiness. You lose either way! Hahaha!!!!!

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)