Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale Icewind Dale is a very boring, bad game

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
You really need to get better at sidetracking.

If you converse for long enough, s/he'll move the goalposts out the stadium and into your living room, and the route to your house will be via a dishonest taxi driver needing to fund a new kitchen.

Shadenuat

Arcane
'bout ee vs vanilla

EE has way more character building options, but that makes game easier because IWD encounters are not very suited for that.
The itemization is also not entirely made for EE.
Like, game has that nostalgia look on elfs, they get bonis THAC0 for longswords so you find some elfs with swords, and dead elfs with more swords and some swords about elfs and lots of dead elfs in elf tower.
Vanilla looks a bit different, the character dolls are funny looking but also more charming I think. And I never felt bigger resolutions suited the way you explore the maps.

The story is eh, but I like some characters. HoW in particular. I always felt it has sentimental spirit, like reading one of meh D&D books. But in game. So actually fun.

I like IWD.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
People happily play and pay for short games that appeal to them. Padding a game with trash combat and no attention to the actual game contents (setting/story/chars) is what lead to 10% completion rates.
The most successful RPG developer is currently Bethesda, who fill their games with tons of time-filling systemic trash. Then there's Witcher 3, which does the same thing, or Larian. One might find some some success by releasing a Stick of Truth or a Shadowrun Returns, but there's always the possibility it can end up a Tyranny or Tides of Numenera (which are both on the long side of "short").

jungl

Augur
trash mobs is a buzz word like those kids complaining about SJWs. Everyone I see use these words is always some fucking retard sperg whose posts you dont bother reading cause you know there is a faggot behind the post.

Unwanted

Bladeract

It's Neckbeard Shitlord. Again.
Dumbfuck
trash mobs is a buzz word like those kids complaining about SJWs. Everyone I see use these words is always some fucking retard sperg whose posts you dont bother reading cause you know there is a faggot behind the post.

Trash mobs are out in force today I see. Ignored.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
No, "trash mobs" refers to same(-y) enemies that you need to defeat over and over again in crpg. Those enemies to be called "trash mobs" need to be relatively easy to beat, need to appear repeatedly and not serve any other purpose than inflating the game length.
It's a very real element of many games in the genre.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I learnt in this thread that Icewind Dale is a... "Diablo clone". Seriously, that's what at least 2 idiots in this thread literally said.
:0-13:

To be fair, I remember at the time of its release it was stacked up against Diablo II by people. They also released on the same day in North America and if you wanted a combat heavy RPG those were your big two.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I learnt in this thread that Icewind Dale is a... "Diablo clone". Seriously, that's what at least 2 idiots in this thread literally said.
:0-13:
Well internally, they were competing with Diablo. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/icewind-dale-iii.66007/#post-1851734 :M

In IWD/2 you have little to no such alternative. You *must* fight through a gazillion number of enemies before you can reach your goal.

Well yeah, they're combat crawls made on short schedules, intended as a bit-more-writing-heavy successors to 80s/early 90s dungeon crawls.

That being side the last area in IWD2 can be completed with little fighting and a lot of walking/talking and it's one of my favorite parts.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, it was a sort of popular comparison. As someone said one of the trailers actually mentioned Diablo, although if I remember correctly it was a quote from some magazine.

Calling it a clone is of course stupid. They're just both games about whacking tons of monsters.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
To be fair, I remember at the time of its release it was stacked up against Diablo II by people. They also released on the same day in North America and if you wanted a combat heavy RPG those were your big two.

If Serus has appeared in a thread it's more likely it's because he smells an opportunity to mangle up words for the lol-benefit of himself rather than any desire to actually discuss the game at hand.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Which isn't an argument for it being a "Diablo clone" at all. Possibly an argument that game "journalists" were morons even back then but that's all.
One is a computer adaptation of a pnp system, party-based, real-time with pause - somewhat tactical-ish combat. Diablo is not that at all.

Roguey
That 2 games were "competing" on the market at the time of release doesn't mean they're clones (of one another - or of common predecessors). That's a retarded thing to say. Even 2 games from same subgenre aren't automatically clones. However IWD and Diablo(2) are games from two different (sub)genres which makes it even more absurd.

There's corridors and then there's dungeons. Most IWD dungeon levels are some variety of:

dragonseye2.jpg

I think you are being confused by the non-linear shape of the rooms, and the "ragged" walls of the dungeon. Here is a simplified map of this dungeon, that abstracts those things away:

As you can see, there is a corridor from entrance to exit (1 to 7), another optional corridor on the left side, and a couple of short off-shoots. So what graphically looks like a dungeon, is actually a very simple structure, that feels very linear in practice. Compare it to the dungeon from BG1 that you posted, and that one looks positively like a labyrinth in comparison.

The word 'mature' doesn't necessarily mean either 'more' or 'better', it likely just means you don't have to be interrupted by pre-made companions and the main narrative is about some mercenaries going monster hunting for both the lols and the glory rather than some uber-pretentious god fantasy. But it will be completely subjective, obviously, which type of narrative you prefer.

The only way this excuse would is if the gameplay was really good. Which in Icewind Dale it definitely is not.

The game is not designed to be soloed, per-se. The game is balanced around a party of six characters you make yourself. An adventuring party. If you went solo the first time you played then you might not be aware that you'll be getting 6 times the expected XP, and, obviously, it wont be too long before you're vastly more OP than the level of monster you're facing, so, yes, kinda shot yourself in the foot there.

How am I op if I solo? Solo is widely recognized as being the harder way to play a party based game. Sure my one guy will have higher levels, but it's one guy instead of 6. If anything, if playing solo is this boring, I can't even imagine how boring it would be to manage a party against all these trashmobs. Oh wait, I can. I played PoE recently.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Are you deliberately trying to compete for some retard of the year award?

Levels = power level. Are you dumb or something?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
How am I op if I solo?

Because power levels scale a fuckton.

Like on HOF, because you're max level, the last part of the game (with the exception of the boss) is easier than playing on core-rules.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
If Serus has appeared in a thread it's more likely it's because he smells an opportunity to mangle up words for the lol-benefit of himself rather than any desire to actually discuss the game at hand.
You're butthurt after all this time !? Damn, that's one very long lasting pain.
:positive::dance::smug:

But I have to disappoint You, I'm here to point out that calling IWD a "diablo clone" is retarded and when at it, that "trash mobs" are a very real phenomenon in crpg. IWD is one of those games I played back in the day and I have an opinion about it. I wasn't planning on triggering anyone or making fun of anyone specifically. But you provided me with some amusement without me even making an effort so I suppose I should say: Thank You. :hug:

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
You're butthurt after all this time !? Damn, that's one very long lasting pain.
:positive::dance::smug:

But I have to disappoint You, I'm here to point out that calling IWD a "diablo clone" is retarded and when at it, that "trash mobs" are a very real phenomenon in crpg. IWD is one of those games I played back in the day and I have an opinion about it. I wasn't planning on triggering anyone or making fun of anyone specifically. But you provided me with some amusement without me even making an effort so I suppose I should say: Thank You. :hug:

I'd rather you actually quoted people...

Are you deliberately trying to compete for some retard of the year award?

Levels = power level. Are you dumb or something?

Because power levels scale a fuckton.

Like on HOF, because you're max level, the last part of the game (with the exception of the boss) is easier than playing on core-rules.

I mentioned in my previous post, that yes, while your one guy is higher level, that is offset by 1 guy instead of 6. That should offset any advantages of playing solo. Especially in my case, as I was soloing as a Fighter, which barely gets any boosts after level 10 or so.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I mentioned in my previous post, that yes, while your one guy is higher level, that is offset by 1 guy instead of 6. That should offset any advantages of playing solo. Especially in my case, as I was soloing as a Fighter, which barely gets any boosts after level 10 or so.

:roll:

OMG, when did you hit level 10? That would be the final boss in the original game...

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Come on, level 10 Fighter is 500,000 xp, Icewind Dale's experience cap was 1,800,000 xp (no HoW).

The average xp a 6 man party was expected to get was 1,000,000 xp, which is about level 12 for a fighter. If you'd picked a special race and class fighter, it could be less than that.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
The average xp a 6 man party was expected to get was 1,000,000 xp, which is about level 12 for a fighter. If you'd picked a special race and class fighter, it could be less than that.

Why don't you fire up IWD since you love it so much and go kill some skeletons, super exciting gameplay xD

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom